post #1082 of 3245 Old 06-03-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor.mwg View Post

Thanks, problem is I can't get audio to speakers. I'm using balanced interconnects to all five, and LF to sub, but it's as if no pre-amp connection, which is very weird.

So you're say that your 886 is non operational? Have you call Onkyo CS?
I assumed because you were asking for Cambridge codes you were getting some sort of sound..

Quote:
Thought maybe there was something in pre that had to be set before handshake with amp.

I don't think so, just make sure the source is in the correct input, I've been guilty of that

Quote:
Until I solve that, mic makes a very poor paperweight! Set goes up as soon as I can get sound..darn thing weighs too much to be pushing console in/out from wall, then trigger should be easy. Still, with trigger switch 'off' on amp, shouldn't have any effect on amp operation.
Maybe somebody will have Cambridge codes?!?

You have to work out the unit playing sound first, like I mentioned above you should call Onkyo as soon as you can...You want them to send you a new working piece before that 30 day runs out. That is if you got it from Onkyo direct.

Good luck

Djoel
post #1083 of 3245 Old 06-05-2009, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just joined the club, picked up a 886 refurb... I think it's brand new, it sure was packed like it had never been opened.

Setup was amazingly easy with the menu system. I am really happy with this unit but I have one annoying problem with video delay when switching between 480/720/1080 on my cable input (component). I might have missed this topic while scanning the thread but was curious if this was fixed in a firmware upgrade. I may end up just connecting straight to the tv or seeing if setting that input to through (I'm assuming that would eliminate it) but I would miss out on the reon.

Edit - One thing that is odd about the video delay... when I switch to the channel, I see the video for about a sec or two and then it goes blank for about 6-7 seconds and then comes back. It seems to do this even though I have set it to pass through... even tried going the hdmi route even though I doubted it would make a difference.

Is this considered normal?
post #1084 of 3245 Old 06-05-2009, 02:31 PM

Just received my 886 refurb from shoponkyo. It appears to be brand new and the main firmware is 1.01. Called Onkyo Support about an authorized service center in Las Vegas, no luck, the closest one is the regional in Denver and the turnaround time is two to three weeks after they receive it.

I wanted to have the firmware updated before I install the unit, but I am completely computer illiterate and there is no way I can attempt this update.

Any suggestions, anyone in Las Vegas willing to help?

John
post #1085 of 3245 Old 06-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered an 886 from shoponkyo yesterday. It was time to replace my trusty Fosgate FAPT1+ to take advantage of HD audio via bitstream. I hope it will handshake well via HDMI with my very touchy Optoma HD81-LV projector.

It will be interesting to compare the 886 Reon scaling to the Optoma's Gennum scaling. I've got an XA2 HD DVD player and BD1400 BR player--hope I don't need to upgrade the BR player right away.

I'm excited to hear how this processor sounds after EQ in my HT with HD audio codecs. If anybody wants to sell their rack ears, please PM me.
post #1086 of 3245 Old 06-05-2009, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

So you're say that your 886 is non operational? You have to work out the unit playing sound first, like I mentioned above you should call Onkyo as soon as you can...You want them to send you a new working piece before that 30 day runs out. That is if you got it from Onkyo direct.

I purchased from ShopOnkyo and had the "headphones" problem where the icon would not turn off - and due to that there was no audio output.

It was my experience that within 30 days - Onkyo will pay return shipping... and although they made it sound like the turnaround was immediate when they received the unit - when I called they said at least a week. In reality - they received it Tuesday and shipped a replacement out on Thursday.

YMMV.

Hopefully the next refurb will be functional...
post #1087 of 3245 Old 06-05-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKegFlex View Post

Just joined the club, picked up a 886 refurb... I think it's brand new, it sure was packed like it had never been opened.

Setup was amazingly easy with the menu system. I am really happy with this unit but I have one annoying problem with video delay when switching between 480/720/1080 on my cable input (component). I might have missed this topic while scanning the thread but was curious if this was fixed in a firmware upgrade. I may end up just connecting straight to the tv or seeing if setting that input to through (I'm assuming that would eliminate it) but I would miss out on the reon.

Is this considered normal?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the newer firmware 1.04 improves (reduces) the problem with the delay...........
post #1088 of 3245 Old 06-05-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets63 View Post

Just received my 886 refurb from shoponkyo. It appears to be brand new and the main firmware is 1.01. Called Onkyo Support about an authorized service center in Las Vegas, no luck, the closest one is the regional in Denver and the turnaround time is two to three weeks after they receive it.

I wanted to have the firmware updated before I install the unit, but I am completely computer illiterate and there is no way I can attempt this update.

Any suggestions, anyone in Las Vegas willing to help?

John

John,

I am not very good with computers either but I was able to handle the FW update. Maybe you have a friend or family member that can help you out. It takes under 20 minutes and would be a real pain to send it to Onkyo just to update the FW.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1089 of 3245 Old 06-05-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

John,

I am not very good with computers either but I was able to handle the FW update. Maybe you have a friend or family member that can help you out. It takes under 20 minutes and would be a real pain to send it to Onkyo just to update the FW.

Bill

Seriously, if Bill can do it anyone can!
post #1090 of 3245 Old 06-05-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeav View Post

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the newer firmware 1.04 improves (reduces) the problem with the delay...........

I hope so, I'm going to try and update over the weekend... this is my experience right now. First off, this is a noisy, hard to see video taken with my phone... and, it has a watermark in the middle from the conversion software but it should give you an idea of the amount of time I'm talking about. I've never used a prepro for video before but this seems like it would not be considered acceptable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1828685...7619306741932/
post #1091 of 3245 Old 06-06-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:

I hope so, I'm going to try and update over the weekend... this is my experience right now. First off, this is a noisy, hard to see video taken with my phone... and, it has a watermark in the middle from the conversion software but it should give you an idea of the amount of time I'm talking about. I've never used a prepro for video before but this seems like it would not be considered acceptable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1828685...7619306741932/

Hm, somehow this looks like a HDMI handshake delay to me. Do you have the TV connected to the 886 via HDMI? (You wrote that the input is via component).

If you have set it to pass-through, and the source resolution changes, then the 886 and your TV set would have to do the HDMI handshake again, and at least with my equipment the delay doesn't seem so unusual to me (it's very annoying, I give you that!)

Try setting the 886 to do the output scaling for this source. This should hopefully prevent it from doing the handshake with the TV again everytime the input resolution changes (hopefully).

If you have connected everything via component (also the TV set), then I have really no idea where this comes from. And since I have connected everything via HDMI I also cannot tell you if the same happens on my system...

Best regards,
Oliver
post #1092 of 3245 Old 06-06-2009, 05:00 AM

I hadn't thought about connecting everything via component, I'll try that today. Thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT - I just went ahead and tried a complete component path (dvr to 886 to tv) and experienced the same behavior whether it was set on pass through or not. So, I experience the same thing with a complete hdmi path and a complete component path.
post #1093 of 3245 Old 06-06-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:

I hadn't thought about connecting everything via component, I'll try that today. Thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT - I just went ahead and tried a complete component path (dvr to 886 to tv) and experienced the same behavior whether it was set on pass through or not. So, I experience the same thing with a complete hdmi path and a complete component path.

So much for my HDMI handshake theory
One more thought: did you make sure that in the 886 setup menu the HDMI input assignment for your input device is set to "---"?
If you have an HDMI input assigned for this source I could imagine that every time the component input signal is goes away while changing the resolution the 886 tries to detect an incoming HDMI signal if both inputs (HDMI and component) are configured for the device... just speculation again, but otherwise I'm running out of ideas here...

Best regards,
Oliver
post #1094 of 3245 Old 06-06-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:

Do you happen to have any other video sources to test with?

It looks like from the video it is a cable receiver and a DVD player? After seeing the video it looked like HDMI handshaking too - but you ruled that out. You did disconnect the HDMI cables when connecting component right? HDMI can still try to handshake even if it's not selected... (but is connected)

I don't have my 886 back yet so I can't really compare my experiences to yours yet..
post #1095 of 3245 Old 06-06-2009, 06:56 AM

Yeah... I made sure the hdmi input was set to "---".

I should have mentioned that in the video, it flashes dvd on the tv because that was the common hdmi input from the 886... I just hadn't gotten around to renaming the input yet. But, yes... I initially had hdmi for both dvr (cable) and dvd player feeding into the main hdmi out.

I should have time later today to decable everything and just see what happens with only the dvr/cable in the picture to know if the other cabling is affecting anything. I hope to try a firmware upgrade too to see if that might have an impact... though, I'm beginning to think my case is unique because nobody has mentioned experiencing delays as long as mine yet.

EDIT - Update... removed all cabling and only ran cable component path (dvr/886/tv) and experienced the same switching delays for pass through or 1080. I'll try the firmware upgrade but I suspect I will have to live with the delays or go straight to the tv (dvr/tv) for cable video.... disappointing as I think the reon made a difference on some channels.
post #1096 of 3245 Old 06-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One thing that is odd about the video delay... when I switch to the channel, I see the video for about a sec or two and then it goes blank for about 6-7 seconds and then comes back. It seems to do this even though I have set it to pass through... even tried going the hdmi route even though I doubted it would make a difference.

I have an 885 and had the exact same problem that drove me nuts for several months. The issue is your cable box. I have Verizon HD-FIOS and my box has an SD override function thats a sub menu of whatever HD signal you choose (ie 1080i, 720p, etc). On my box if I had the override set to anything I would get the delay you are talking about. Set the override to 'off' if possible. If you can't find a menu option to do that then call you cable company and speak to someone in technical support. In the first software on my cable box it was in a hidden menu that most people didn't know about, now it is in the main menu.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #1097 of 3245 Old 06-07-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

Seriously, if Bill can do it anyone can!

You speak the truth! I just figured out how to post links and how to use the multi quote feature (thanks djoel). I'm so proud of myself.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1098 of 3245 Old 06-07-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

You speak the truth! I just figured out how to post links and how to use the multi quote feature (thanks djoel). I'm so proud of myself.

Bill

No need to thank me Brother, after all I've learned numerous thing from you, and have made several decisions based on your methodical research.

Dan
post #1099 of 3245 Old 06-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post

I have an 885 and had the exact same problem that drove me nuts for several months. The issue is your cable box. I have Verizon HD-FIOS and my box has an SD override function thats a sub menu of whatever HD signal you choose (ie 1080i, 720p, etc). On my box if I had the override set to anything I would get the delay you are talking about. Set the override to 'off' if possible. If you can't find a menu option to do that then call you cable company and speak to someone in technical support. In the first software on my cable box it was in a hidden menu that most people didn't know about, now it is in the main menu.

I just tried calling TWC... no luck on a hidden/service menu. The only way to eliminate the delay is to tell the cable box my tv only supports 1080i... which is not desired if I understand the setup correctly. On a semi-positive note, TWC in this area is slowly rolling out a new samsung dvr but it's hard to get at the moment... not sure if this one might address this problem but I suspect it's running the same TWC Mystro software.
post #1100 of 3245 Old 06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I just tried calling TWC... no luck on a hidden/service menu. The only way to eliminate the delay is to tell the cable box my tv only supports 1080i... which is not desired if I understand the setup correctly. On a semi-positive note, TWC in this area is slowly rolling out a new samsung dvr but it's hard to get at the moment... not sure if this one might address this problem but I suspect it's running the same TWC Mystro software.

The issue is not the cable box... they actually change resolutions rather quickly... its the Onkyo and also your TV that are the slow ones. You are correct that locking the box at 1080i would cure the delay (because the Onkyo only sees one resolution) but also that it is undesireable doing double scaling processes (especially the 720p>1080i>1080p process... poor video signal getting ripped apart and sewn back together, lol) with at least half of it being done by a $10 scaling chip instead of your Reon.

The Samsung is not any different than the SA boxes in this regard, except that several of us have seen them get stuck on 720p output regardless of the settings or the program content.

Wanting the best scaling I have just put up with the delay... I have found myself using the guide more to search for programs rather than just channel surfing.

BTW... the Onkyo/Reon combo supports 480i input over HDMI... the cable boxes usually default to 480p/720p/1080i as their output. For best video, the box should be set for 480i/720p/1080i (turn 480p off)... this will send everything out native so Reon can do its thing without any help from that $10 scaler chip in the box.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #1101 of 3245 Old 06-08-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

The issue is not the cable box... they actually change resolutions rather quickly... its the Onkyo and also your TV that are the slow ones. You are correct that locking the box at 1080i would cure the delay (because the Onkyo only sees one resolution) but also that it is undesireable doing double scaling processes (especially the 720p>1080i>1080p process... poor video signal getting ripped apart and sewn back together, lol) with at least half of it being done by a $10 scaling chip instead of your Reon.

The Samsung is not any different than the SA boxes in this regard, except that several of us have seen them get stuck on 720p output regardless of the settings or the program content.

Wanting the best scaling I have just put up with the delay... I have found myself using the guide more to search for programs rather than just channel surfing.

BTW... the Onkyo/Reon combo supports 480i input over HDMI... the cable boxes usually default to 480p/720p/1080i as their output. For best video, the box should be set for 480i/720p/1080i (turn 480p off)... this will send everything out native so Reon can do its thing without any help from that $10 scaler chip in the box.

Yeah... I agree with you, I was just reluctant to admit it was the nature of the beast after hearing some reports of folks not experiencing this problem.
post #1102 of 3245 Old 06-09-2009, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello guys,

I finished setting up my 886 and so far nothing but total frustration. First and foremost, I have lost the flat FR I was getting with the my Onkyo 805. I have rerun Audyssey six times plotted the graph with REW numerous times with different setting and calibration to no avail. Second, the quality bass I used to have is now replaced with just huge boom. Undefined, overexaggerated and muddy bass, especially with music. My room now sounds like a circuit city demo room. I have changed the intellivolume to -10 as recommended but that didn't help at all. I have not changed anything at all except swapping the 886 for the 805, everything is same as before. So far I have only played a few songs but so far it is a huge step back in terms of sound quality vs. the 805 which led me to believe that I have either got a lemon or I missed something during setup. Any suggestions?

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #1103 of 3245 Old 06-09-2009, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

Hello guys,

I finished setting up my 886 and so far nothing but total frustration. First and foremost, I have lost the flat FR I was getting with the my Onkyo 805. I have rerun Audyssey six times plotted the graph with REW numerous times with different setting and calibration to no avail. Second, the quality bass I used to have is now replaced with just huge boom. Undefined, overexaggerated and muddy bass, especially with music. My room now sounds like a circuit city demo room. I have changed the intellivolume to -10 as recommended but that didn't help at all. I have not changed anything at all except swapping the 886 for the 805, everything is same as before. So far I have only played a few songs but so far it is a huge step back in terms of sound quality vs. the 805 which led me to believe that I have either got a lemon or I missed something during setup. Any suggestions?

Do you have Dynamic EQ on? Many folks seem to find the bass much too heavy handed for music with it on, myself included. You can turn it off and still leave the MultiEQ engaged for basic room correction. After all, its just a fancy loudness control... turn it off if its not working for your source - you will not be discarding the core value of Audyssey. BTW, you can make that an easier task, or even automate the process for music sources, by adding the discrete Dynamic EQ IR codes to your universal remote, if you use one.

As far as the speaker distance settings, those only effect phase. While phase does effect imaging, its more in the vein of how focused vs. diffuse the imaging is, not the actual location the sound appears to be coming from. That is much more effected by the relative speaker level controls. Try tweaking the speaker levels rather than the distance controls.

Finally (just asking, not pointing fingers)... you are comparing the 886 to an 805. Were you using the the 805 as a preamp with external amps or with internal amps? If external amps, are they the same as you are using with the 886? If they were not the same amps as you are using now, then that is another variable in the equation you are trying to solve.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #1104 of 3245 Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hello guys,

Alex,

I agree with jcalabria in the fact that Dynamic EQ might be active. If I am not mistaken when I ran Audyssey several times each time it set Dynamic EQ to on. I also did not like Dynamic EQ with music as well. With jcalabria's assistance I added the additional hex codes for Dynamic EQ/Volume as well as other commands to my Harmony 688. It is great to be able to access these commands without going deep into the menu of the 886.

I decided to move my sub out from the right front corner of my room a bit and reran Audyssey. I had run Audyssey several times and each time the sub distance was at 5.4' and not 9'-10' my 805/885 measured. Well when I ran it this last time the measurement is at about 9' which is what it should be. The actual distance is about 8' but it was always a bit long a 9'-10' which is what Audyssey says is the norm.

I have to say I am very happy with the SQ of the 886 although I have not had a chance to really crank it with a good action Bluray. Next will be to experiment with the many video calibration settings. I had a Oppo BDP-83 for a short while but decided to return it and break out my ole' BD30/A2 combination. I use the the A2 for SD DVD and I am going to try to set up the A2 to use the Reon and the BD30 for pass through. I had been planning on having my Panasonic 50" plasma professionally calibrated but I have the bug for a new 58" 1080p set.

Bill

post #1105 of 3245 Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have Dynamic EQ on? Many folks seem to find the bass much too heavy handed for music with it on, myself included. You can turn it off and still leave the MultiEQ engaged for basic room correction. After all, its just a fancy loudness control... turn it off if its not working for your source - you will not be discarding the core value of Audyssey. BTW, you can make that an easier task, or even automate the process for music sources, by adding the discrete Dynamic EQ IR codes to your universal remote, if you use one.

As far as the speaker distance settings, those only effect phase. While phase does effect imaging, its more in the vein of how focused vs. diffuse the imaging is, not the actual location the sound appears to be coming from. That is much more effected by the relative speaker level controls. Try tweaking the speaker levels rather than the distance controls.

Finally (just asking, not pointing fingers)... you are comparing the 886 to an 805. Were you using the the 805 as a preamp with external amps or with internal amps? If external amps, are they the same as you are using with the 886? If they were not the same amps as you are using now, then that is another variable in the equation you are trying to solve.

I will disengage Dynamic EQ and try again. I must say though, even though I watched only one movie so far, with Dynamic EQ on, even movies sound a little artificial to me, not true to the source. A little bit of sizzle and loudness added to the sound.

As for my set up prior to the 886, nothing has changed with my set up at all. Same speaker, sub, amp, cable and speaker and LP has not been moved. I was using the 805 as a pre/pro with the same NAD M25 amp.

post #1106 of 3245 Old 06-09-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alex,

I agree with jcalabria in the fact that Dynamic EQ might be active. If I am not mistaken when I ran Audyssey several times each time it set Dynamic EQ to on. I also did not like Dynamic EQ with music as well. With jcalabria's assistance I added the additional hex codes for Dynamic EQ/Volume as well as other commands to my Harmony 688. It is great to be able to access these commands without going deep into the menu of the 886.

I decided to move my sub out from the right front corner of my room a bit and reran Audyssey. I had run Audyssey several times and each time the sub distance was at 5.4' and not 9'-10' my 805/885 measured. Well when I ran it this last time the measurement is at about 9' which is what it should be. The actual distance is about 8' but it was always a bit long a 9'-10' which is what Audyssey says is the norm.

I have to say I am very happy with the SQ of the 886 although I have not had a chance to really crank it with a good action Bluray. Next will be to experiment with the many video calibration settings. I had a Oppo BDP-83 for a short while but decided to return it and break out my ole' BD30/A2 combination. I use the the A2 for SD DVD and I am going to try to set up the A2 to use the Reon and the BD30 for pass through. I had been planning on having my Panasonic 50" plasma professionally calibrated but I have the bug for a new 58" 1080p set.

Bill

Same here Bill. My 805 report sub distance almost accurately @16.5'. Sub is actually 16' away. The 886 reports the sub 22.5' first few tries and @ 18.5' next few. I am going to use the old mic with the 886 and run Audyssey again. Not that I expect that to make a difference but what do I have to lose?

post #1107 of 3245 Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The issue is not the cable box... they actually change resolutions rather quickly... its the Onkyo and also your TV that are the slow ones.

While I may not be able to explain exactly why it happens I know it happens. If I turn on the SD (4:3) Override function on my Motorola FIOS HD cable box I get EXACTLY the same problem described earlier. When changing from an HD to SD channel (or vice versa) I get a split second of picture then it goes black for 6-9 seconds before the picture comes back on.

I understand that the problem is probably caused by the HDMI handshake in the Onkyo but the solution for me was turning off the SD override function. I can repeat this problem over and over so I know that this is the problem in my system.

If I had to guess as to why this happens is because HD cable boxes need to 'react' to recognize which signal it will be sending out to your receiver. When switching from HD->SD or back there is a split second in which the switch causes the SD override to kick in. This probably confuses the Onkyo and causes the delay, which by the way is the same delay you'll get when switching inputs on your Onkyo.

Do a google search for SD override delay and see if you find other people that are having the same problem you're describing. Better yet do a google search for your model of cable box and include "4:3 override" in the search. See what you find. I'd be surprised if TWC's box didn't have a way to change the 4:3 override between Stretch, 480i, 480p, etc.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #1108 of 3245 Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Same here Bill. My 805 report sub distance almost accurately @16.5'. Sub is actually 16' away. The 886 reports the sub 22.5' first few tries and @ 18.5' next few. I am going to use the old mic with the 886 and run Audyssey again. Not that I expect that to make a difference but what do I have to lose?

Alex,

I asked Chris from Audyssey about using the newer mic (tower style) with the 885 when I had it. He said it was not recommended to mix and match. He explained that the new mic is calibrated for use with the 886 (or newer 6 series Onkyos). So I would think that the old mic (pancake style) might not work well with the 886. You could try it but you might not get accurate results for all aspects of the calibration.

Bill

post #1109 of 3245 Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post

While I may not be able to explain exactly why it happens I know it happens. If I turn on the SD Override function on my Motorola FIOS HD cable box I get EXACTLY the same problem described earlier. When changing from an HD to SD channel (or vice versa) I get a split second of picture then it goes black for 6-9 seconds before the picture comes back on.

I understand that the problem is probably caused by the HDMI handshake in the Onkyo but the solution for me was turning off the SD override function. I can repeat this problem over and over so I know that this is the problem in my system.

I have yet to run my cable box (SA8300 non active HDMI) connections through the 886. I run component directly to my PDP and use the optical output to the 886. If delays aquiring the signal with resolution changes are the norm I think I will leave the connections as is.

Bill

post #1110 of 3245 Old 06-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Alex,

I had a Oppo BDP-83 for a short while but decided to return it and break out my ole' BD30/A2 combination.

Bill

Hey Bill. What was it with the BDP-83 that you did not like? I just picked up one and am going to pair it with my 886 when I get back to NorCal in a couple of weeks.

Jim
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page