Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro Official thread - Page 94 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 3246 Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

It is essentially for the same reasons you should try rebooting a PC that is perhaps operating strangely in some way all of a sudden. Most all AVR's and pre-pros sold in the last few years because of how they operate in order to do all that they can do, are after all, also computers specially designed for a very specific use.

Logical enough, I would think that they would want a way to set it back to factory defaults on everything. Kind of like reformatting a hard drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3246 Old 01-23-2010, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to use both HDMI outputs simultaneously? I need this for my projector and touchscreen, and when I use a switch (after the 886), one of the monitors only gets white snow (it's not HDCP, but I get it even without playing a BD).
post #2793 of 3246 Old 01-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstorm77 View Post

Is it possible to use both HDMI outputs simultaneously? I need this for my projector and touchscreen, and when I use a switch (after the 886), one of the monitors only gets white snow (it's not HDCP, but I get it even without playing a BD).

no.
post #2794 of 3246 Old 01-24-2010, 11:56 PM

I just received my 886 and have a question. How do I connect a computer to it? Reading the manual, it would appear I can't do it by simply connecting my router the 886's Ethernet port.

What's the easiest way to connect it to a computer?
post #2795 of 3246 Old 01-25-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post

I just received my 886 and have a question. How do I connect a computer to it? Reading the manual, it would appear I can't do it by simply connecting my router the 886's Ethernet port.

What's the easiest way to connect it to a computer?

Correct, just plug it in. You can if you need, change the network settings in the setup menus. If I remember correctly, I just went in and verified the settings after the fact.
I've even been able to control it from my computer, so if you need any pointers let me know.
post #2796 of 3246 Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 PM

[quote=Bill Mac;17930067]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATM4JIM View Post

Any advantage you can take is needed sometimes.

I just checked shoponkyo and it does not show any sales. The site format has changed and since it has I have not seen any additional price breaks for club members. In the past on occasion you would see better prices on select components when you logged in. But to find the 886 as you said is great. I am curious to see if your 886 is a brand new unit like the one I got and many others received from shoponkyo.

Bill

Well I just got 886 a few days ago and so far I'm very pleased with it. The unit I got looks "like new" (no scratches or cosmetic defects) with a new remote and new accessories, but was in a refurbished box (model 807) and with a refurbished sticker on the back.

Is this what you and others got when you say you and others received a brand new unit? Either way I'm happy though I had to update the main firmware from 1.01 to 1.04 and the DSP to the later version (a bit of a hassle).
post #2797 of 3246 Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 662
[quote=ATM4JIM;18018667]

Quote:

Well I just got 886 a few days ago and so far I'm very pleased with it. The unit I got looks "like new" (no scratches or cosmetic defects) with a new remote and new accessories, but was in a refurbished box (model 807) and with a refurbished sticker on the back. Is this what you and others got when you say you and others received a brand new unit?

Sounds like yours is an actual refurbished unit but if it is in good shape it doesn't really matter. The one I got was in a sealed 886 box without any refurbished stickers on the box or on the 886. When I opened the box everything was packaged as a new unit would be. Definitely a brand new unit.

Quote:

Either way I'm happy though I had to update the main firmware from 1.01 to 1.04 and the DSP to the later version (a bit of a hassle).

Glad to hear you are enjoying the 886, it is a great prepro no doubt. I updated the FW but I believe the DSP was the latest version.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #2798 of 3246 Old 01-30-2010, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas_CH_M View Post

I've even been able to control it from my computer, so if you need any pointers let me know.

Please - how do you do this?
post #2799 of 3246 Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
for those interested in merging great 2 channel audio, with great high res streaming digital, with the 886's prowess in HT, I made a little guide

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1221423
post #2800 of 3246 Old 02-07-2010, 02:16 PM

Hello, recently purchased an 886. Firmware is 1.05. The manual says that the zoom function (menu 4.4 under picture adjust) can be accessed from the remote by holding down the display button on remote then using arrows to change the zoom level. On my unit press/hold of remote display button brings up a screen display of the resolution. The right/left arrows allow me to change resolution setting, The up / down arrows let me cycle through the display adjustiments like hue etc. There's no selection for zoom levels....
Does anyone have access to zoom levels from their remote and if so how and is this possibly firmware dependent? Thanks,
Paul
post #2801 of 3246 Old 02-07-2010, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghollysprings View Post

Hello, recently purchased an 886. Firmware is 1.05. The manual says that the zoom function (menu 4.4 under picture adjust) can be accessed from the remote by holding down the display button on remote then using arrows to change the zoom level. On my unit press/hold of remote display button brings up a screen display of the resolution. The right/left arrows allow me to change resolution setting, The up / down arrows let me cycle through the display adjustiments like hue etc. There's no selection for zoom levels....
Does anyone have access to zoom levels from their remote and if so how and is this possibly firmware dependent? Thanks,
Paul

If you press and hold the button for the current input (e.g., CBL/SAT), it will pop open the complete picture settings menu. It opens on Game Mode, but one down click gets you to Zoom.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.3.1_6
post #2802 of 3246 Old 02-15-2010, 01:15 PM

Thanks jcalabria, that worked
post #2803 of 3246 Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 AM

I got my 'refurbished' 886 back in September and have been enjoying it without special calibration while I assembled the rest of my rack. I have a 5.1-speaker setup with no rear surrounds (only sides). I have connected my three Crest power amps to the 886 using the XLR jacks. I also updated the firmware from 1.01 to 1.04 (haven't yet upgraded the DSPs) and did a reset afterward.

I decided this past weekend to hook up the mic and run the Audyssey calibration. In the first step, when the receiver is detecting speakers, I noticed that the side surrounds remain totally silent and the receiver does not detect them. I've checked my cabling and connections and all is as it should be. The kicker is that I can select any of the surround processing modes and hear audio coming from those speakers!

So is this an abnormality or have I missed something major in my setup?
post #2804 of 3246 Old 02-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbmocp View Post

I got my 'refurbished' 886 back in September and have been enjoying it without special calibration while I assembled the rest of my rack. I have a 5.1-speaker setup with no rear surrounds (only sides). I have connected my three Crest power amps to the 886 using the XLR jacks. I also updated the firmware from 1.01 to 1.04 (haven't yet upgraded the DSPs) and did a reset afterward.

I decided this past weekend to hook up the mic and run the Audyssey calibration. In the first step, when the receiver is detecting speakers, I noticed that the side surrounds remain totally silent and the receiver does not detect them. I've checked my cabling and connections and all is as it should be. The kicker is that I can select any of the surround processing modes and hear audio coming from those speakers!

So is this an abnormality or have I missed something major in my setup?

Seems like I saw a post on this somewhere. As I recall, the problem was that the 886 was shutting off the remote triggers to the amps during calibration, but turning them on during normal play. The remote trigger setup on the 886 is kind of unique, so an easy way to check is just to ensure the amps are on during calibration.

If that fixes it, you're welcome. If not...never mind.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #2805 of 3246 Old 02-17-2010, 05:25 PM

rtart--

I'll be dipped. That was the problem! ThForgot Fanks for the tip. I did a quick cal just to see if the speakers would sound off and one of the sides did, one still didn't--but I didn't take any measures to quiet the room down or keep my dogs from playing with their toys. ;-) I'll try another full cal this weekend when one of them's off to the groomers and I can isolate the other one.
post #2806 of 3246 Old 02-28-2010, 12:06 PM

Hello, looking for a bit of advice here. I love the 886 sound quality and really like the pre-pro, but am having some issues around picture quality. I searched the forum and cannot find anything that seems close to what I am experiencing, forgive me if I have overlooked post.

I put in a refurbished 886 this weekend and am having issues in both output to my mitsu hd1000 projector and pana pz80 plasma. As in the attached picture, there appears to be banding when using my media center PC and also similar issues of banding in the projector. I have changed around cables to no effect, and when I adjusted the projector for source direct instead of 1080p (or any other lower resolution), the picture seems to improve but then I get shearing and jitters at the bottom of the picture. I have also worked with through seetings to no avail.
Before I return the units, I just wanted to see if I have somehow messed up a setting or if it is just the unit
LL
post #2807 of 3246 Old 02-28-2010, 12:11 PM

Hello, looking for a bit of advice here. I love the 886 sound quality and really like the pre-pro, but am having some issues around picture quality. I searched the forum and cannot find anything that seems close to what I am experiencing, forgive me if I have overlooked post.

I put in a refurbished 886 this weekend and am having issues in both output to my mitsu hd1000 projector and pana pz80 plasma. As in the attached picture, there appears to be banding when using my media center PC and also similar issues of banding in the projector. I have changed around cables to no effect, and when I adjusted the projector for source direct instead of 1080p (or any other lower resolution), the picture seems to improve but then I get shearing and jitters at the bottom of the picture. I have also worked with through seetings to no avail.
Before I return the units, I just wanted to see if I have somehow messed up a setting or if it is just the unit
LL
post #2808 of 3246 Old 03-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Hi All; I was hopeful that a few of you (that might be coming from a system simular to mine) might be able to give me some feedback as to what to expect performance wise by slippling an 886 into my current setup. That setup consists of a Pio. Elite BDP-05FD feeding signal (via multi analog outs) to an older Rotel RTC-965 pre/pro (way before HDMI) onto a Parasound HC-1206 multi channel amp. From there on to PSB speakers. TV is a Pio Elite 111. In this configuration the Rotel has to be in what is called it's '5.1 mode' to pass signal and all that ends up being in a direct 'pass through'. I'ts nothing more than a gain control at this point. The decoding is being done in the BR player. For 2 ch. CD playback I'm coming out of the BR player via it's (2 ch audio outs) directly to the Rotel CD audio ins. The Pio 05 actually has pretty decent DACs and performs fairly well for CD stereo playback in this configuration. However, any and all adjustments that can be made to the DVD surround sound playback has to be done at the BR player, so I'm a bit tied there.

This leads to my question as to how big (if any) of a performance difference (both CD & DVD playback) I will experience by swapping out the Rotel with an 886? I'm hoping that a few of you have come from simular type setups and could give me a feel for what to expect and whether it justifies the swap. Thank you.
post #2809 of 3246 Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetails View Post

Hi All; I was hopeful that a few of you (that might be coming from a system simular to mine) might be able to give me some feedback as to what to expect performance wise by slippling an 886 into my current setup. That setup consists of a Pio. Elite BDP-05FD feeding signal (via multi analog outs) to an older Rotel RTC-965 pre/pro (way before HDMI) onto a Parasound HC-1206 multi channel amp. From there on to PSB speakers. TV is a Pio Elite 111. In this configuration the Rotel has to be in what is called it's '5.1 mode' to pass signal and all that ends up being in a direct 'pass through'. I'ts nothing more than a gain control at this point. The decoding is being done in the BR player. For 2 ch. CD playback I'm coming out of the BR player via it's (2 ch audio outs) directly to the Rotel CD audio ins. The Pio 05 actually has pretty decent DACs and performs fairly well for CD stereo playback in this configuration. However, any and all adjustments that can be made to the DVD surround sound playback has to be done at the BR player, so I'm a bit tied there.

This leads to my question as to how big (if any) of a performance difference (both CD & DVD playback) I will experience by swapping out the Rotel with an 886? I'm hoping that a few of you have come from simular type setups and could give me a feel for what to expect and whether it justifies the swap. Thank you.

I would expect a substantial improvement. Even if you stay in the analog realm, as you are now, Audyssey will give you a large improvement in sound quality. If (when, most likely) you choose to go completely digital with BD and perhaps an HD sat or cable box, to your TV, you will appreciate the 886 even more. Add a HDMI capable SACD/DVD-A player (like an Oppo DV-980H or even an Oppo BD player) for hirez multichannel audio and you will wonder why you waited so long.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #2810 of 3246 Old 03-01-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:

I made a similar crossgrade last year, going from an older McIntosh HT Pre/Pro to the 886 (couldn't quite afford or justify the $10,000 Mc upgrade!). Without an A/B or a DBT, I took a hit in pure audio fidelity. I am, however, very happy with the change because of convenience and the ability to decode and monitor any format from any disk. And it does sound good, but not extremely HiFi, since almost every path gets digital processing. My main sources are connected by a single HDMI cable, switching HD video and every possible type of audio, and I have a nice CD/SACD player going in analog. I have to say I am not a fan of Audyssey. I have read the manual, read the threads, tried it many times, and I find it to create a harsh, hyped high end that I do not like (I'm an audio professional, so I ought to be able to handle the Audyssey instructions and have a lot of listening experience). Some people have talked about this on the forums but they get flamed out and quit talking. Anyway, I do enjoy my 886, and think it's a great piece for the money...
post #2811 of 3246 Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukequazar View Post

I made a similar crossgrade last year, going from an older McIntosh HT Pre/Pro to the 886 (couldn't quite afford or justify the $10,000 Mc upgrade!). Without an A/B or a DBT, I took a hit in pure audio fidelity. I am, however, very happy with the change because of convenience and the ability to decode and monitor any format from any disk. And it does sound good, but not extremely HiFi, since almost every path gets digital processing. My main sources are connected by a single HDMI cable, switching HD video and every possible type of audio, and I have a nice CD/SACD player going in analog. I have to say I am not a fan of Audyssey. I have read the manual, read the threads, tried it many times, and I find it to create a harsh, hyped high end that I do not like (I'm an audio professional, so I ought to be able to handle the Audyssey instructions and have a lot of listening experience). Some people have talked about this on the forums but they get flamed out and quit talking. Anyway, I do enjoy my 886, and think it's a great piece for the money...

Thanks nuke (& also rtart) for your responses. Sounds very possitive! I think i'll swing by our local Onkyo dealer and see if they might have a demo 866 or (855) still around that I might be able to audition in my own theater room. They're usually pretty good with that.

BTW; Are the 866s out of production now? I noticed a few here buying re-furbished models and wondered if that's all that remains now?
post #2812 of 3246 Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

BTW; Are the 866s out of production now? I noticed a few here buying re-furbished models and wondered if that's all that remains now?

Yes, the PR-SC 886 is a discontinued model. It's been replaced by the Onkyo PR-SC5507.

http://www.onkyopro.com/model.cfm?m=...eamplifier&p=i

And there is also a Integra version of it, the DHC-80.1

http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...eamplifier&p=s

Integra also has a lower cost, and lower featured DHC-40.1

http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...eamplifier&p=i

Outlaw still has, and is selling some PR-SC886's. But at their selling price $1450 for one. It is not at all even remotely a bargain for something that's been discontinued.
post #2813 of 3246 Old 03-06-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post

I would expect a substantial improvement. Even if you stay in the analog realm, as you are now, Audyssey will give you a large improvement in sound quality. If (when, most likely) you choose to go completely digital with BD and perhaps an HD sat or cable box, to your TV, you will appreciate the 886 even more. Add a HDMI capable SACD/DVD-A player (like an Oppo DV-980H or even an Oppo BD player) for hirez multichannel audio and you will wonder why you waited so long.

OK, how do you get Audyssey with the mch analog inputs on the 886?
post #2814 of 3246 Old 03-06-2010, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets63 View Post

OK, how do you get Audyssey with the mch analog inputs on the 886?

If I remember correctly, you can't.
post #2815 of 3246 Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 PM

Anyone have the latest DSP & firmware of SC-886? I have searched the posts at the forum but the links are corrupted.
Thanks~~
post #2816 of 3246 Old 03-10-2010, 12:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackee View Post

Anyone have the latest DSP & firmware of SC-886? I have searched the posts at the forum but the links are corrupted.
Thanks~~

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18283199
post #2817 of 3246 Old 03-10-2010, 01:23 AM

thx a lot~~
post #2818 of 3246 Old 03-10-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackee View Post

thx a lot~~

Hello Mackee, could you tell me when you have done the firmware upgrade and the improvement found.

Thanks.

Par Toutatis !
Asterix !
post #2819 of 3246 Old 03-10-2010, 04:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix007 View Post

Hello Mackee, could you tell me when you have done the firmware upgrade and the improvement found.

If you want those firmware files, or are even considering them. Then you better grab them while they are still there, because after 10 D/L's or 60 days (whichever comes first) rapidshare will automatically delete them. And I will not be putting them back up.
post #2820 of 3246 Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix007 View Post

Thanks.

OK, I will post the improvement found after updated the firmware~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page