Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro Official thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Why would "direct" add bass? Switching to "stereo" is likely to invoke bass management and, therefore, employ the subwoofer. It would also, if you have set it up, invoke AudysseyEQ to flatten the response. Is it possible that your perception that "Direct had excessive and inaccurate bass compared to stereo" is due to the uncorrected modes in your room?

I think it has more to do with my main speakers. They have two 8" self powered woofers. I am guessing that since Audyssey is not used in direct mode the main's woofers are running full range and playing more bass than in stereo.

I have them crossed over at 40hz even knowing Audyssey sets them as large. Every post I have read says that is what I should set them to. Running them at full range is not recommended even knowing they are capable of @20hz.
beekermartin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

I think it has more to do with my main speakers. They have two 8" self powered woofers. I am guessing that since Audyssey is not used in direct mode the main's woofers are running full range and playing more bass than in stereo.

Yup. I never think, unless given a reason to do so, about such odd-ball arrangements.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Old 04-29-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Yup. I never think, unless given a reason to do so, about such odd-ball arrangements.

My mains are fairly unusual compared to conventional speakers, Mirage OM-5s. They are quite capable in the bass department. I used them as full range without a sub for a long time. I now have a MFW-15 which is much more powerful in the very low hz range.

Do you agree that I should not run them as full range? I debated this decision for a long time but the final decision was to cross them at 40hz. The lowest setting that the 886 allows.
beekermartin is offline  
Old 04-29-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

Do you agree that I should not run them as full range? I debated this decision for a long time but the finally decision was to cross them at 40hz. The lowest setting that the 886 allows.

I do agree and suggest you might want even to experiment with higher crossovers. What you get is Audyssey's better bass correction in the subwoofer channel.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Old 04-29-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I do agree and suggest you might want even to experiment with higher crossovers. What you get is Audyssey's better bass correction in the subwoofer channel.

I have thought about trying that. What is a good way to test different cross over settings?

Audyssey also set my center channel to full range, Mirage OM-C2. I set that to cross over at 60hz.
beekermartin is offline  
Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

I have thought about trying that. What is a good way to test different cross over settings?

There are two ways:
1. Measure FR and decay with REW/ETF/TEF/XTZ/etc.
2. Listen

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Old 04-29-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

There are two ways:
1. Measure FR and decay with REW/ETF/TEF/XTZ/etc.
2. Listen

LOL.

I don't have access to an special audio testing equipment so my only option is to listen. What would you recommend I listen to? A test disc, movie, music, etc???
beekermartin is offline  
Old 05-23-2010, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beatboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know where I could get an 885 or 886? I have looked everywhere online (Ebay, Audiogon, etc.) and they are gone.

Hey, if anyone has one of these and is looking to upgrade to the latest, please PM me and I will purchase

Thanks,

Josh

hidefpreview
beatboy77 is offline  
Old 05-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
rtart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

Does anyone know where I could get an 885 or 886? I have looked everywhere online (Ebay, Audiogon, etc.) and they are gone.

Hey, if anyone has one of these and is looking to upgrade to the latest, please PM me and I will purchase

Thanks,

Josh

They are hard to find. I considered an Emotiva UMC-1, but think I'll stay with my 885. It works, and does all I need it to do, and no drama. You can try a UMC-1 for 30 days and return it if you don't like it.

Other than that, just set up a saved search on ebay and one will come along eventually.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
rtart is offline  
Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
neekos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Kal:

What would be the best scenario to listen to music through the 886? I have a 5.1 system currently and would like to maximize the potential of my cd collection, some of which are SACD's but most are standard cd's.

Thanks
neekos is offline  
Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was thinking about selling my 886 and getting the UMC-1. Unfortunately the UMC-1 has had way to many problems for me to consider replacing the 886 with it. The 886 has worked perfectly since the day I installed it. I would hate to replace it with something that most likely won't be as reliable. I understand the UMC-1 might offer slightly better SQ but even that is debatable. I am using all digital sources via HDMI and the 886 sounds excellent in my setup.
beekermartin is offline  
Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

LOL.

I don't have access to an special audio testing equipment so my only option is to listen. What would you recommend I listen to? A test disc, movie, music, etc???

Hard to say. I do not believe in listening to test discs as these are intended for instrumental measurements. I have little experience judging these things from movies since I do not know what the mass is supposed to sound like. OTOH, I have lots of experience with recordings that I have heard on a number of systems (mine and others) over the years and these are the ones I use. They tell me what sounds different as I make adjustments and I combine these observations with measurements to make a determination.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

Kal:

What would be the best scenario to listen to music through the 886? I have a 5.1 system currently and would like to maximize the potential of my cd collection, some of which are SACD's but most are standard cd's.

Thanks

I do not understand your question. Do you want to know how to connect up things? Do you want to know what processing formats to use? What other equipment do you have?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Old 05-24-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

I was thinking about selling my 886 and getting the UMC-1. Unfortunately the UMC-1 has had way to many problems for me to consider replacing the 886 with it. The 886 has worked perfectly since the day I installed it. I would hate to replace it with something that most likely won't be as reliable. I understand the UMC-1 might offer slightly better SQ but even that is debatable. I am using all digital sources via HDMI and the 886 sounds excellent in my setup.

beekermartin,

I agree 100% that keeping your 886 is the wise move. I tried the UMC-1 but held onto my 886 to see if the UMC-1 would stay in my system. Well the UMC-1 went back and the 886 is back in my system. There is a member over at the Emotiva Lounge that sold his 886 before getting the UMC-1. From his initial posts he was not very happy that he sold his 886.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
Old 05-24-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
neekos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I do not understand your question. Do you want to know how to connect up things? Do you want to know what processing formats to use? What other equipment do you have?

What will give the best stereo sound output. The balanced in, the stereo inputs, via hdmi ?
neekos is offline  
Old 05-24-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

What will give the best stereo sound output. The balanced in, the stereo inputs, via hdmi ?

Assuming that the 886 is identical to the 9.8 in its audio processing, I would definitely go with the HDMI.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Old 05-24-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
neekos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
ok, thanks
neekos is offline  
Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Decepticon07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have one like new willing to sell. It has box, manual, and everything else. Any interest, just pm me with an offer. Just listed it on ebay as well.

Bears... Beets... Battlestar Galactica.
Decepticon07 is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
neekos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Assuming that the 886 is identical to the 9.8 in its audio processing, I would definitely go with the HDMI.

Kal:

My understanding is that the stereo inputs of the 886 still goes through a A/D D/A conversion. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So to get the best stereo sound from a good cd source, wouldn't the balanced inputs be the best option? or do these inputs also employ conversion as well ? If so, what about hooking up the cd source to the multi channel input of the 886?

I find it hard to believe that many people are saying that these units don't do analog well considering the many input possibilities.

Thanks
neekos is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

Kal:

My understanding is that the stereo inputs of the 886 still goes through a A/D D/A conversion. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So to get the best stereo sound from a good cd source, wouldn't the balanced inputs be the best option? or do these inputs also employ conversion as well ? If so, what about hooking up the cd source to the multi channel input of the 886?

I find it hard to believe that many people are saying that these units don't do analog well considering the many input possibilities.

Thanks

It has nothing to do with A/D/A conversions as you can bypass that with the MCH analog inputs. The issue, for me, is that the analog input stages of the Integra are less competent than I would wish, whether you convert them or not.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beatboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have a set of rack mount ears for the 886 which they are not using. If you are willing to sell them to me, please send me a PM.

Thanks,

Josh

hidefpreview
beatboy77 is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
neekos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

It has nothing to do with A/D/A conversions as you can bypass that with the MCH analog inputs. The issue, for me, is that the analog input stages of the Integra are less competent than I would wish, whether you convert them or not.

Gotcha, thanks
neekos is offline  
Old 06-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
wildchild22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Deer Lake , Newfoundland
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am wondering what the max pass though resolution with component video is when you are letting the 886 convert it to hdmi?

I cannot get 1080p to pass though but 1080i converts to hdmi, this I tested with a ps3 and xbox 360. Is there something I am missing.
wildchild22 is online now  
Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 View Post

I am wondering what the max pass though resolution with component video is when you are letting the 886 convert it to hdmi?

I cannot get 1080p to pass though but 1080i converts to hdmi, this I tested with a ps3 and xbox 360. Is there something I am missing.

That is a very interesting question. Since so few components actually allow 1080p via component I am going to assume the 886 does not. The only devices that I know of that will output 1080p via component are the two you mentioned. I would read the 886 manual and see if it says what the maximum component resolution input and output is. I am willing to bet it is 1080i.

Why do you need 1080p over component from the PS3? All PS3s have HDMI so I would recommend you use HDMI with the PS3. I assume you want it for the Xbox because you have an earlier version that doesn't have HDMI. I would recommend you output 1080i from the Xbox and allow the 886 to upconvert it 1080p via HDMI to your display. The 886 HQV scalling chip does an excellent job and will most likely look as good as 1080p directly from the Xbox.
beekermartin is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Member
 
brucest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the 886 can be upgraded to the 886P or alternately whether it can accept digital feed per ehternet?
brucest is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Member
 
brucest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the 886 cab be upgraded to the 886P or alternately can be made to accept digital audio via Ethernet?
brucest is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryChanin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 6,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucest View Post

Does anyone know if the 886 can be upgraded to the 886P or alternately whether it can accept digital feed per ehternet?

Hi Bruce,

I believe that the "P" designation stands for professional and all that means is that the rack mount ears are included with the prepro.

The ethernet port on this device is only for installer type home automation equipment and remote controllers. It can't be used to download firmware updates, or any other content.

Larry
LarryChanin is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Bruce,

I believe that the "P" designation stands for professional and all that means is that the rack mount ears are included with the prepro.

The ethernet port on this device is only for installer type home automation equipment and remote controllers. It can't be used to download firmware updates, or any other content.

Larry

Larry,

You are correct. The refurbished 886 (actually brand new) I got from shoponkyo was a non P model which did not include the rack ears. So other than not having rack ears everything else is exactly the same between the P and non P models.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Member
 
brucest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the response. I thought I saw this on a website for 886p but I didn't notice that the capability while mentioned, was indicated as non existant.

Is there a video card you'd recommend to feed digital audio and video from a computer?
brucest is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Member
 
Woodlike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to ask a question that is probably in this thread somewhere, but I haven't had a chance to follow recently and I'm swamped with work. I'm wondering if there is a way to save speaker level setting changes? I'd also like to have different speaker levels for different inputs and listening modes. For example, I tend to like a little more sub level when I'm listening to a CD, but I like to go back to the Audyssey level settings when I'm watching a Blu-Ray.

I understand how to make these changes, but I don't like having to make them every time I turn on the preamp. Any help is appreciated.
Woodlike is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off