Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Why would "direct" add bass? Switching to "stereo" is likely to invoke bass management and, therefore, employ the subwoofer. It would also, if you have set it up, invoke AudysseyEQ to flatten the response. Is it possible that your perception that "Direct had excessive and inaccurate bass compared to stereo" is due to the uncorrected modes in your room?

I think it has more to do with my main speakers. They have two 8" self powered woofers. I am guessing that since Audyssey is not used in direct mode the main's woofers are running full range and playing more bass than in stereo.

I have them crossed over at 40hz even knowing Audyssey sets them as large. Every post I have read says that is what I should set them to. Running them at full range is not recommended even knowing they are capable of @20hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

I think it has more to do with my main speakers. They have two 8" self powered woofers. I am guessing that since Audyssey is not used in direct mode the main's woofers are running full range and playing more bass than in stereo.

Yup. I never think, unless given a reason to do so, about such odd-ball arrangements.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 04-29-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup. I never think, unless given a reason to do so, about such odd-ball arrangements.

My mains are fairly unusual compared to conventional speakers, Mirage OM-5s. They are quite capable in the bass department. I used them as full range without a sub for a long time. I now have a MFW-15 which is much more powerful in the very low hz range.

Do you agree that I should not run them as full range? I debated this decision for a long time but the final decision was to cross them at 40hz. The lowest setting that the 886 allows.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you agree that I should not run them as full range? I debated this decision for a long time but the finally decision was to cross them at 40hz. The lowest setting that the 886 allows.

I do agree and suggest you might want even to experiment with higher crossovers. What you get is Audyssey's better bass correction in the subwoofer channel.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Old 04-29-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do agree and suggest you might want even to experiment with higher crossovers. What you get is Audyssey's better bass correction in the subwoofer channel.

I have thought about trying that. What is a good way to test different cross over settings?

Audyssey also set my center channel to full range, Mirage OM-C2. I set that to cross over at 60hz.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have thought about trying that. What is a good way to test different cross over settings?

There are two ways:
1. Measure FR and decay with REW/ETF/TEF/XTZ/etc.
2. Listen

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Old 04-29-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are two ways:
1. Measure FR and decay with REW/ETF/TEF/XTZ/etc.
2. Listen

LOL.

I don't have access to an special audio testing equipment so my only option is to listen. What would you recommend I listen to? A test disc, movie, music, etc???
Old 05-23-2010, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know where I could get an 885 or 886? I have looked everywhere online (Ebay, Audiogon, etc.) and they are gone.

Hey, if anyone has one of these and is looking to upgrade to the latest, please PM me and I will purchase

Thanks,

Josh

hidefpreview
Old 05-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

Does anyone know where I could get an 885 or 886? I have looked everywhere online (Ebay, Audiogon, etc.) and they are gone.

Hey, if anyone has one of these and is looking to upgrade to the latest, please PM me and I will purchase

Thanks,

Josh

They are hard to find. I considered an Emotiva UMC-1, but think I'll stay with my 885. It works, and does all I need it to do, and no drama. You can try a UMC-1 for 30 days and return it if you don't like it.

Other than that, just set up a saved search on ebay and one will come along eventually.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Kal:

What would be the best scenario to listen to music through the 886? I have a 5.1 system currently and would like to maximize the potential of my cd collection, some of which are SACD's but most are standard cd's.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking about selling my 886 and getting the UMC-1. Unfortunately the UMC-1 has had way to many problems for me to consider replacing the 886 with it. The 886 has worked perfectly since the day I installed it. I would hate to replace it with something that most likely won't be as reliable. I understand the UMC-1 might offer slightly better SQ but even that is debatable. I am using all digital sources via HDMI and the 886 sounds excellent in my setup.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

LOL.

I don't have access to an special audio testing equipment so my only option is to listen. What would you recommend I listen to? A test disc, movie, music, etc???

Hard to say. I do not believe in listening to test discs as these are intended for instrumental measurements. I have little experience judging these things from movies since I do not know what the mass is supposed to sound like. OTOH, I have lots of experience with recordings that I have heard on a number of systems (mine and others) over the years and these are the ones I use. They tell me what sounds different as I make adjustments and I combine these observations with measurements to make a determination.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

Kal:

What would be the best scenario to listen to music through the 886? I have a 5.1 system currently and would like to maximize the potential of my cd collection, some of which are SACD's but most are standard cd's.

Thanks

I do not understand your question. Do you want to know how to connect up things? Do you want to know what processing formats to use? What other equipment do you have?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Old 05-24-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:

I was thinking about selling my 886 and getting the UMC-1. Unfortunately the UMC-1 has had way to many problems for me to consider replacing the 886 with it. The 886 has worked perfectly since the day I installed it. I would hate to replace it with something that most likely won't be as reliable. I understand the UMC-1 might offer slightly better SQ but even that is debatable. I am using all digital sources via HDMI and the 886 sounds excellent in my setup.

beekermartin,

I agree 100% that keeping your 886 is the wise move. I tried the UMC-1 but held onto my 886 to see if the UMC-1 would stay in my system. Well the UMC-1 went back and the 886 is back in my system. There is a member over at the Emotiva Lounge that sold his 886 before getting the UMC-1. From his initial posts he was not very happy that he sold his 886.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do not understand your question. Do you want to know how to connect up things? Do you want to know what processing formats to use? What other equipment do you have?

What will give the best stereo sound output. The balanced in, the stereo inputs, via hdmi ?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What will give the best stereo sound output. The balanced in, the stereo inputs, via hdmi ?

Assuming that the 886 is identical to the 9.8 in its audio processing, I would definitely go with the HDMI.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Old 05-24-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, thanks
Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 PM

Liked: 11
I have one like new willing to sell. It has box, manual, and everything else. Any interest, just pm me with an offer. Just listed it on ebay as well.

Bears... Beets... Battlestar Galactica.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Assuming that the 886 is identical to the 9.8 in its audio processing, I would definitely go with the HDMI.

Kal:

My understanding is that the stereo inputs of the 886 still goes through a A/D D/A conversion. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So to get the best stereo sound from a good cd source, wouldn't the balanced inputs be the best option? or do these inputs also employ conversion as well ? If so, what about hooking up the cd source to the multi channel input of the 886?

I find it hard to believe that many people are saying that these units don't do analog well considering the many input possibilities.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Kal:

My understanding is that the stereo inputs of the 886 still goes through a A/D D/A conversion. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So to get the best stereo sound from a good cd source, wouldn't the balanced inputs be the best option? or do these inputs also employ conversion as well ? If so, what about hooking up the cd source to the multi channel input of the 886?

I find it hard to believe that many people are saying that these units don't do analog well considering the many input possibilities.

Thanks

It has nothing to do with A/D/A conversions as you can bypass that with the MCH analog inputs. The issue, for me, is that the analog input stages of the Integra are less competent than I would wish, whether you convert them or not.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Old 05-31-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have a set of rack mount ears for the 886 which they are not using. If you are willing to sell them to me, please send me a PM.

Thanks,

Josh

hidefpreview
Old 05-31-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It has nothing to do with A/D/A conversions as you can bypass that with the MCH analog inputs. The issue, for me, is that the analog input stages of the Integra are less competent than I would wish, whether you convert them or not.

Gotcha, thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I am wondering what the max pass though resolution with component video is when you are letting the 886 convert it to hdmi?

I cannot get 1080p to pass though but 1080i converts to hdmi, this I tested with a ps3 and xbox 360. Is there something I am missing.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 View Post

I am wondering what the max pass though resolution with component video is when you are letting the 886 convert it to hdmi?

I cannot get 1080p to pass though but 1080i converts to hdmi, this I tested with a ps3 and xbox 360. Is there something I am missing.

That is a very interesting question. Since so few components actually allow 1080p via component I am going to assume the 886 does not. The only devices that I know of that will output 1080p via component are the two you mentioned. I would read the 886 manual and see if it says what the maximum component resolution input and output is. I am willing to bet it is 1080i.

Why do you need 1080p over component from the PS3? All PS3s have HDMI so I would recommend you use HDMI with the PS3. I assume you want it for the Xbox because you have an earlier version that doesn't have HDMI. I would recommend you output 1080i from the Xbox and allow the 886 to upconvert it 1080p via HDMI to your display. The 886 HQV scalling chip does an excellent job and will most likely look as good as 1080p directly from the Xbox.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:55 PM

Does anyone know if the 886 can be upgraded to the 886P or alternately whether it can accept digital feed per ehternet?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:57 PM

Does anyone know if the 886 cab be upgraded to the 886P or alternately can be made to accept digital audio via Ethernet?
Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucest View Post

Does anyone know if the 886 can be upgraded to the 886P or alternately whether it can accept digital feed per ehternet?

Hi Bruce,

I believe that the "P" designation stands for professional and all that means is that the rack mount ears are included with the prepro.

The ethernet port on this device is only for installer type home automation equipment and remote controllers. It can't be used to download firmware updates, or any other content.

Larry
Old 06-21-2010, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Bruce,

I believe that the "P" designation stands for professional and all that means is that the rack mount ears are included with the prepro.

The ethernet port on this device is only for installer type home automation equipment and remote controllers. It can't be used to download firmware updates, or any other content.

Larry

Larry,

You are correct. The refurbished 886 (actually brand new) I got from shoponkyo was a non P model which did not include the rack ears. So other than not having rack ears everything else is exactly the same between the P and non P models.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the response. I thought I saw this on a website for 886p but I didn't notice that the capability while mentioned, was indicated as non existant.

Is there a video card you'd recommend to feed digital audio and video from a computer?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 PM

Sorry to ask a question that is probably in this thread somewhere, but I haven't had a chance to follow recently and I'm swamped with work. I'm wondering if there is a way to save speaker level setting changes? I'd also like to have different speaker levels for different inputs and listening modes. For example, I tend to like a little more sub level when I'm listening to a CD, but I like to go back to the Audyssey level settings when I'm watching a Blu-Ray.

I understand how to make these changes, but I don't like having to make them every time I turn on the preamp. Any help is appreciated.