Panny Plasma no variable audio... now what? stuck. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a Panasonic 50" plasma (5080U) for $1000 and having set it up, realize there is no Variable Audio Output. This is a real problem because my preamp doesn't have a remote control. I have always controlled the volume of the TV sound through the stereo system from the TV itself, using the TV remote. Up until yesterday the TV was a 36" Sony Wega flat screen from 2000, and before that 32" Mitsubishi. In fact I've been running my TV sound through a stereo since at least 1985.

I have a nice "budget audiophile" grade stereo system in the family room that I use for the TV sound. a Heart Audio tube cd player into an FT Audio Little Wonder passive preamp, into Marsh 100 watt solid state amp, into Sonus Faber Signum speakers + REL subwoofer. All connected with combination of Acoustic Zen, Luminous Audio interconnects and Ensemble speaker cable. Retail about $10,000 and I bought it all mostly used except for the Signums and REL for about $4,500 in 2002. The sound is very good for TV, a million times better (well, at least twice as good) as the built in TV speakers.

I had tried multichannel audio via DVD in 1994, using a B&K 1030 preamp/surround sound and in the end decided that audiophile stereo w. subwoofer was good enough for me, and that the surround sound stuff just isn't interesting enough to forego terrific stereo.

1) Is there a way to add Variable Audio out to the Panasonic 5080U Plasma TV inside the setup or maintenance software?

2) Assuming not, is there any sort of inexpensive remote control attenuator that I could insert in between the TV audio out from the Time Warner HD cable box, and my preamp? Would such an attenuator be able to be programmed into my cable box remote control?

3) Is there a way to control audio output volume out of the Time Warner Cable box itself that I'm not aware of?

I can't believe there aren't millions of people upgrading to Plasma or LCD displays that aren't stuck in the same spot I find myself today... it is really a huge operational difference not having Variable Audio Output from the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-11-2008, 01:06 PM

Here's a solution at the low end of the food chain:

Apogee Kits

or this one if you want to keep your system 'audiophile' grade.

Placette audio

My guess is that the Panny people consider the tv the same as a cd player when it comes to audio level - no control over it. It has a pre-defined line level that it operates at.

"What is truth?" - Pontius Pilate
"I am the way and the truth and the light" - Jesus Christ
post #3 of 3 Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Gracias TVTommy.... seeing the price of the Placette reminds me why I opted for less expensive options back in 2002

But seeing the Placette made me wonder what FT Audio was up to.. a real garage operation. What do you know, they make an RC module for their passive preamp and its only $200. I'm emailing the guy today to see if its still in production. FT Audio I think was really a hobby for these guys and I've read almost nothing from them in several years.

But their preamp is great... almost perfect signal passthrough from source to amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page