Help my MOM! Receiver Selection Thread! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-12-2008, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, here's the deal.

My MOM has decided to actually enter the 21st century and upgrade her existing living room setup...and she's asked for my help. Initially, she was thinking of doing a HTIAB, but she's changed her mind and decided to go with discrete components.

She's not looking for high end..she wants simple, but for use and with the remote. She's not looking for expensive...she would like sub-$400 IF possible, but might go a bit north of that. She's not looking for power...she's not going to be pushing the receivers capacity for db. She's not looking for 7.1.....there's no room for that set up in her current config, so she'll stick with 5.1 no matter what. She wants to route all her video sources through the receiver, and have ONE cable (if possible) going from the receiver to the TV.

We've picked out a 1080p 42" screen to hang on her wall. It's not great, but it's cheap and it's got decent reviews. More importantly, it fits her "asthetic" footprint.

We've picked out an LG Blu Ray player, mostly because it also offers the Netflix streaming she REALLY wants.

She also has a DVR...which she may upgrade to an HD-DVR at some point...form our cable company. Component and Composite hookups on the current box...but no HDMI, AFAIK.

And, she has a DVD-Recorder...I'm not sure of the hook up (it's a cheapie) but defnitely no HDMI.

We're also looking at using Rocketfish on her rear speakers, because she REALLY doesn't want wires running....but I think that will pretty much work with any receiver she chooses.

I'm thinking she needs something that will do HDMI upconversion, so we can just run everything into the reciever, and then out via HDMI (one hook up) to the TV. That's her big thing: Minimal cabling. But I'm looking for specific recommendations that would fall within her budget range (if possible) and I'd greatly appreciate ANY help you guys could give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the Onkyo TX-SR606 offers the most bang for the buck. At about $350 it has 4 HDMI inputs and upconverts all analog to HDMI. This model has had very good reviews, including one that says it is the best sub $1000 receiver available. That may no longer be true, but the Pioneer 1018 is still about $100 more than the Onkyo. She will need to have room for it to breathe as it runs warm.
I forget the package number, but Amazon also has a 5.1 set of Polk speakers for about $250 that are supposed to be great for that price.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-12-2008, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

I think the Onkyo TX-SR606 offers the most bang for the buck. At about $350 it has 4 HDMI inputs and upconverts all analog to HDMI. This model has had very good reviews, including one that says it is the best sub $1000 receiver available. That may no longer be true, but the Pioneer 1018 is still about $100 more than the Onkyo. She will need to have room for it to breathe as it runs warm.
I forget the package number, but Amazon also has a 5.1 set of Polk speakers for about $250 that are supposed to be great for that price.

Thanks for the quick response.

I'll take a look at both!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page