Help with using my Pioneer VSX-92TXH's IR IN jack, and the IR OUT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-13-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH which is partially obscured by the cabinet it sits in. Oddly enough the cabinet door is partially glass, but the beam of wood which runs in the middle of it obscures the IR receiver on the front.

So, I'd like to run an external IR receiver out of the cabinet near the TV. Now I thought this would be pretty easy, since the receiver provides an IR IN jack in the back in the form of a 3.5mm plug. So I bought a SpeakerCraft IRC-2.0 since it's nice and small and relatively cheap. It has a four conductor 3.5mm jack. However, this doesn't work at all to control the receiver. It does not receive any commands, and it does not even shut off the front panel input (something the manual indicated it would, or at least take precedence over).

I also happen to have a Smarthome IR linc:

http://www.smarthome.com/2411R/IRLin...nverter/p.aspx

This also happens to have a 3.5mm 3 conductor IR receiver attached to it, so I tried that one on the VSX-92TXH as well. No luck there either.

Pioneer was NO help in this matter, the CS agent would not even tell me what the correct pin out for the jack was (!?) and could not tell me any particular brand or model of IR receiver that would work.

I know I could go all out and get a IR terminator block and repeaters and probably get it working that way, but that seems like a lot of extra cost and clutter I could avoid of I could just get my receiver to function as it does in the manual.

Anyone have any advice they could give me? Does ANYONE use this feature on their Pioneer receiver? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-14-2008, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

No replies...I guess I was right in thinking that few people use this capability of their amp?

One interesting thing is the guy from Pioneer CS said that they used to make an IR receiver called the MR-100 which worked...but it looks like that's been out of production for about 10 years! So no luck there trying to find one.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-15-2008, 04:40 AM

The main in ir jack should work with an ir receiver, im not sure what your issues are from

“Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.”
post #4 of 11 Old 11-15-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Bandphan, are you saying this because you have one set up and working? Or just because that's your understanding from looking at the manual?

Anyone who has this working I'd be thrilled if you could tell me which IR receiver you're using.

Of course, there's the possibility that my receiver is defective, and my jack is broken. But when I have absolutely no way to test that theory, it's really difficult to tell.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-17-2008, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I tried a Xantech receiver this time...still a no go. That seems odd as Xantech is a brand which is mentioned by name in the manual.

I have a few more things to try, but has anyone else got any ideas?
post #6 of 11 Old 05-28-2009, 06:43 AM

Hey

I read your post.

I have a pioneer vsx-816.

I could NOT get any of the IR emitter's to work my 816.

Reading your post, I thought, "Hey, why not try the IR IN jack on the back of the unit?"
So, I took a TWO conductos MONO 3.5 mm jack and stripped it.
Connected the two wires to the Flasher terminals on my Niles IRP 2 + and
VOILA !

It worked

I am quite psyched about this and hope that this works for you too.

Remember, use a MONO 3.5 mm Male jack, NOT a stereo one!

C
post #7 of 11 Old 05-28-2009, 08:36 AM
TJ7

Liked: 11
I am using Harmony 890s and have the RF receiver plugged directly into my 92 downstairs and the same way into my SC-07 upstairs. They both work perfectly using a 3.5 stereo (never tested mono) male to male.

It sounds like you are trying to just plug in the emitter and not going 3.5 male to 3.5 male from a receiver/extender. The IR plug in the back needs to be fed a signal from another electronic device. An emitter requires power to work - it is an output device, not an input device.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Does your system seem to have a mind of its own?
Turn HDMI Control OFF!!!
post #8 of 11 Old 05-28-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I have this working with my MX-600 remote and MRF-100 RF/IR extender. The MRF-100 output is 2.5mm mono. The 92 input is 3.5mm so I have a 2.5 to 3.5 mono cable.

BTW the SpeakerCraft 2.0 won't work without an amplifier like the Speakercraft AT 1.0. The devices you listed are pretty expensive. All you need is one of these $35 devices http://www.smarthome.com/8211/Powerm...9-PEX03/p.aspx and get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. Plug one end into the back of the Powermid and the other into the 92 and everything will work fine.

The MRF-100 I have works exactly the same as the on Powermid.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

In summary, what I eventually did was get the block/power supply/blah blah and wire it up that way. I don't believe the IR IN is intended to be used with an IR receiver, I believe it's intended to be used with just a 3.5mm cable coming out of the a IR receiver block. I tried hooking it up this way, and it worked, but not reliably. Putting a blaster in front of the IR window on the front of the receiver did work reliably, so that's currently the set up I'm using.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-06-2010, 08:52 PM

My Pio receivers have a "control out" 3.5mm jack as well, and the manual says you can connect it to another device to be controlled by the infrared signals received by the receiver. Anybody tried this?

It could potentially cut down on the number of emitters you would have to run to your devices.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsullivan3 View Post

My Pio receivers have a "control out" 3.5mm jack as well, and the manual says you can connect it to another device to be controlled by the infrared signals received by the receiver. Anybody tried this?

It could potentially cut down on the number of emitters you would have to run to your devices.

Did anyone ever answer this? I'm curious how this would work also. I'm currently using an IR extender for my cable box and will be hiding my receiver behind a door also. I hope I only have to use 1 extender.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page