USB Controlled Receivers - Anybody know any? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am almost always on the computer when listening to music at home. And I'm tired of arranging the receiver settings through the receivers remote each time I feel like changing the settings.

What I'm looking for is a PC application that can help me configure the speakers and other settings of the receiver. After connecting the receiver to the pc the computer would recognize the receiver as an external device and would let me configure the settings through a visual program hopefully...

is this too much for 2008?

I was looking at USB configurable receivers, I thought Pioneer VSX-92TXH and ONKYO TX-NR906 could be what I was looking for but apparently their USB connection is only to play songs.

Anyone know any?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-17-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 106
In a number of Yamaha forums, a frequent poster seems to have been able to do some interesting things with Yamaha's receiver manager. It's RS-232, but he is using some sort of adapter.

See this thread -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ceiver+manager

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 5 Old 11-18-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervusvagus View Post

...I am almost always on the computer when listening to music at home. And I'm tired of arranging the receiver settings through the receivers remote each time I feel like changing the settings.

What I'm looking for is a PC application that can help me configure the speakers and other settings of the receiver. After connecting the receiver to the pc the computer would recognize the receiver as an external device and would let me configure the settings through a visual program hopefully...
is this too much for 2008?

I doubt you'll ever see USB control. It used to be RS-232 and is moving to ethernet. Network control is ideal because most people already have a home network these days.

Not sure how much you wanted to spend, but typically these features are not on low end models (at least not yet). For example (using current models), Yamaha has RS-232 control on the RX-V1900 and above, and network control starting with the RX-V3900. Denon has RS-232 on the AVR-2308, and network control on the AVR-3808.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Unfortunately, the network control on the 3900 seems quite limited. It's possible some parameters can be controlled that don't show up on the pages.

I am at work, so I can't tell you what can be controlled from a web page. volume and input selection for sure.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #5 of 5 Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 154
The web browser interface provided by Yamaha is limited, but complete control over a network is possible through the Receiver Manager application for the 3900.

Even if you don't have the 3900 you can run the Receiver Manager program (use Async mode) to see what it looks like. You can download it from: http://www.yamahapab.com/assets/down...anager3900.zip
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page