Best A/V Receiver to pair with PS3, external amp, and Def. Tech. speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pair of Definitive Technology Mythos STS for front channel, an Acurus Act III processor, a Samsung 4069, a PS3, a California Audio Labs Icon Mk. II CD player, and an Acurus A200X3.

I am thinking about upgrading the processor to a newer receiver - Marantz, Denon or Onkyo ... or maybe even Sony - but am not sure that I really need to look for in light of a lot of the threads saying you don't need a receiver with internal codecs when you have a PS3 with the latest codecs. Is this correct?

I played the Def Techs on the system as is and they sounded really great. Does anyone see a reason to upgrade the processor to receiver, and if so, which one would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-17-2008, 12:32 PM

You can upgrade for lossless audio, did you want a receiver or another processor?
post #3 of 7 Old 11-17-2008, 07:30 PM

Liked: 11
I would like to know too. I have a very similar setup and am looking at the 2809, 3808, 7002 or Emotiva.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes k View Post

I would like to know too. I have a very similar setup and am looking at the 2809, 3808, 7002 or Emotiva.

I picked the 3808 based on how it sounded with my DT's

Audyssey setup guide
post #5 of 7 Old 11-18-2008, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWinsor View Post

You can upgrade for lossless audio, did you want a receiver or another processor?

Receiver probably and I will just use the pre-amp outs when/if I want to use my external amp. Since it is a little older amp, and I am unsure what level of quality it is (I assume pretty decent) compared to the amp section in the newer receivers (especially some of the higher end ones like the 3808).

Can you tell much of a difference between lossless audio and not? Will I need to upgrade my CD player for that or would I just be using the PS3 for everything?

Also, I was thinking that it might make sense to consolidate the equipment to make it easier for my wife to work.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-18-2008, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post

I picked the 3808 based on how it sounded with my DT's

so you have the bi-polars? I was looking at the Mythos STS ones. I was told by the audio guy at the store that he thought the Marantz was a cut above the denon's... not sure I could/would notice a difference between the models though. Guess it boils down to price and features and what I really need.

Also, do I need the 3808 if I am using an external amp, or is there an alternative (cheaper) that gives me most of the same features and the lossless audio aspects?
post #7 of 7 Old 12-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

any suggestions on best receiver for the money for the ps3 via HDMI(PCM)

paired with DirecTV HR20 dvr and a 5.1 setup with Polk RC55i In-Walls and Polk psw10 sub?

I realized I don't necessarily need a receiver with the ability to decode TrueHD, which means I might can find a better quality older receiver like the Marantz 4002 or better?

Any suggestions, speakers can't handle more than 100 watts per channel.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page