Is there REALLY a difference. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-18-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Will I really notice the sound difference between a HK 254, Yamaha 663, Denon 1909, Onkyo 606?. I'm stuck on what to get, I'll be using it for TV, Movies and Games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-18-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a rule that says to buy your speakers for sound and to buy your receiver for features. On the other hand, some swear that one brand of receivers sounds better than others. I do think the receiver features like auto set up and equalization can certainly make a difference in the sound. The best receiver set up incorrectly can sound bad or just off. I would just read all the reviews you can find.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-18-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You'll most likely hear different sound characteristics between receivers but it won't be a night and day difference. The speakers sub and room will have far more effect on the sound than the difference in receivers.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Pick two, buy both, and return the one you don't like. It's hard to make any meaningful evaluations of sonic quality based on input from other people.

Which is why I put the receiver/feature comment in my sig. Not so much because receivers will sound the same, but because there's no easy way to know how they will sound.

One theory is that room correction features would make the biggest difference in sound. So some may prefer receivers with Audyssey as they might feel Audyssey has put more time and effort into their system than say, Yamaha. But it's hard to say which system is better. I for one, and not 100% happy with Yamaha's YPAO, but I feel you can work with it and get good results.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #5 of 5 Old 11-19-2008, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder125 View Post

Will I really notice the sound difference between a HK 254, Yamaha 663, Denon 1909, Onkyo 606?. I'm stuck on what to get, I'll be using it for TV, Movies and Games.

For that application the short answer in my books is no, at least not without room EQ in the mix. Having said that I do believe strongly that the Audyssey in the Denon and Onkyo is better than the HK's EZSet EQ and Yammy's YPAO specifically in the bass correction.

I don't know which Audyssey applications the 606 has but I do believe the 1909 has both Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ which are worth their weight in gold for both for TV watching and lower than reference volume use IMO.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page