Originally Posted by robolsn
I want to hear about some more user experience with the new 11a. I own the original 11 and are thinking about upgrading.
Here is some preliminary information from the far north.
Connected it to my system tonight http://avforum.no/minhjemmekino/show.php/Distinctive
but no setup has been made yet.
The hook-up went fine, even if my setup has become quite complex.
- The master bitstream audio are working (both DD True HD & DTS MA).
- The unit seems well built.
- The live concert feeling is awesome, still with no adjustments made.
- No apparent degradation of picture quality.
- A bit slow when determining/locking onto the AV input format (no big deal, but irritating when just switching channels on my decoder when watching TV).
- The HDMI ports are positioned a bit close. My Wireworld HDMI cables are having a tight fit - a bit too tight I would say, but I have the same problem on my Kuro.
- Schuko or UK power plug (european outlet type) not included.
- My XLR cables are too short, cause the outputs are on the 'wrong side' compared with my inputs on my 6ch. Pre. I guess there is no standard layout for this (?)
- Bigger and better drawings of the back panel would be helpful during connection. It is hard to identify all ports and cables when it is in its final location.
And then we are left with the big issue:
When searching for input format, a lot of crackling sounds are heard. Also when the volume is adjusted on the C11a, I hear a lot of popping coming from the speakers - and in particular from the right rear speaker (also when no sound is output). This one also sound distorted sometimes when active. Setting the HDMI port to bitstream or PCM seems not to have any effect. I have also verified the format of the source.
It seems I better check my cables and read the manual over again, before giving any thumbs down on this matter. I don't rule out fingertrouble so troubleshooting are in place on settings and defective cabling.
I am not sure whether this is the famous HDMI switching noise discussed earlier.
I will have some more time playing around with it tomorrow.
Are your units completely silent when operating it, searcing for formats or during playback?