Cary Cinema 11a official thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 1426 Old 11-21-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could I be the first to have a unit up and running?

Hooked up the cable box, CD player, dvda/sacd player and ps3, fired her up and what do ya know...... SOUND! It's only dubly digital for now. Watching the beginning of Pirates/Worlds End on DVR. Sounds fantastic right out of the box without any level adjustments. I am sure to be up late tonight!

new thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post15994628
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1426 Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike186 View Post

Could I be the first to have a unit up and running?

Hooked up the cable box, CD player, dvda/sacd player and ps3, fired her up and what do ya know...... SOUND! It's only dubly digital for now. Watching the beginning of Pirates/Worlds End on DVR. Sounds fantastic right out of the box without any level adjustments. I am sure to be up late tonight!

Sounds great Mike ; how do you find the seperate speaker setting presets for movies and music ? Easy to set up ? Can you specify no sub for 2 channel if you have full range speakers ie transmission line ?

I wonder if PL11X can be applied to say a bitstreamed cary decoded dolby truehd 5.1 track ; or a decoded pcm version of the same ? My pio 51 has just turned up ;perfect timing
post #3 of 1426 Old 11-21-2008, 09:51 PM

Any comments so far on the room correction?

Thanks
post #4 of 1426 Old 11-21-2008, 09:58 PM

Congrats on the new unit.

-- CUE
post #5 of 1426 Old 11-21-2008, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Hello Mike are you running a full set 5.1? What speakers and amps are you using..

Thanks

Djoel
post #6 of 1426 Old 11-21-2008, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, it's here.

time to replace the MC-12

excellent packaging; double boxed.

all the stuff; 2 remotes, mic and mic chord, manual, etc.

Cinema 11a, in black.

11a--rear.

11a on the shelf.

set up microphone....
post #7 of 1426 Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

First Impressions

my first concern was; will the Cary Cinema 11a pass the HDMI 1.3 video signal thru to my Crystallio II without any issues?

so far; a big yes to that most important question. after comparing the Sony BDP-S350 straight into the Crystallio II and then thru the 11a; no difference we could see.....which means spactacular picture in both cases.

room set-up. we had some issues with getting any signal to the subwoofer. eventually we got it working.....and we think the problem had nothing to do with the 11a. as we are not sure wha the issue was i cannot really explain it.

once that was resolved the auto set-up was easy. the only glitch was that initially it would not play any test tones. we discovered that we needed to switch the input to a non-HDMI digital input; then it worked great.

my Home Theatre room is untreated acoustically. it's not that i don't believe in treatment; my dedicated 2-channel room......

http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/663.html

......is designed acoustically from the ground up. i have just not been psyched enough about movie sound up till now to bother with treatment for the HT room.

after the set-up we played some discs. WOW! i am impressed.

we started with the Blue Ray 'Master and Commander' (DTS HD Master Audio 48khz); the first 10 minutes or so. scary good. layers and layers of rich natural detail....there is nothing quite like a large sailing ship for interesting sounds.

dynamic range and clarity that makes your hair stand up. the first battle scene came alive and it was almost too much realism. even with so much bombast nothing was hard or screechy......it all had a natural balance and foundation.

i was very impressed that my room held up quite well to high SPL's and a very complicated and energetic soundfield after the room set-up program was run. it is too soon for any conclusions but i think that the set-up process paid some dividends for sure.

we then played 'Live Free or Die Hard' (DTS-HD MA 48khz)......and more of the same stuff. natural, real, no edge.

so far the 11a is everything i hoped it would be.

we are now experimenting to see if we can send the HDMI 1.3 first to the Crystallio II and then to the 11a. we do get sound but not the top level bit rate stuff.

how does the 11a compare sonically to my Lexicon MC-12 v.2? there is no contest; the 11a kills it from what i have heard so far.

i have not tried any 2-channel analog and i never intend to use it that way. OTOH if i get the chance i'll take it down to my 2-channel room and compare it to the darTZeel in the 'big-rig' to see how it does.

my HT system; Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD, Sony BDP-S350 Blue Ray, Comcast HD, JVC D-Theatre, Cary Cinema 11a, Lexicon LX-7 power amp, (2) Velodyne 12" Servo F, Revel F-30, S-30, C-30, Paradgim Studio 20's. JVC RS-1, Crystallio II Video processor, ISCO III, Dalite 115" x 49" 1.5 gain 2:35 screen. the room is 19' x 16' x 9.5' and light control is very good but not perfect.
post #8 of 1426 Old 11-21-2008, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

First impression is very good. DD sounds quite a bit better than my old HK receiver. It took me a while to figure out how to get sound from my ps3 going but I finally figured it out from the ps3 settings. The Cary picked out lpcm with no problems. Almost all the way through Pat Metheny The Way Up bluray. Also watched part of the first Pirates bluray.The sound is spectacular and it is everything I had hoped it would be.

So far I have not touched any speaker levels or any crossover points. The set up menu is very confusing. I think some of the navigation in the manual is wrong. Had to wander around to get the balanced analog inputs to work on input 1. Not sure how I did it but I wish I knew why it took so long. Input 2 toslink worked right away and the dac sounds great so far.

I must say I am very impressed with sound quality so far on every format but I am getting some popping when changing between sources which is very annoying. I hope to get this one figured out.

My system is Marantz sa11s1 cd, Classe ca200 2 channel amp, Adcom gfa 5503 3 channel amp, Martin Logan Vantage mains, Martin Logan Cinema i center, Martin Logan Decent sub with Mirage surrounds.
post #9 of 1426 Old 11-21-2008, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Yeah!
LL
LL
post #10 of 1426 Old 11-21-2008, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike lavigne View Post

First Impressions

my first concern was; will the Cary Cinema 11a pass the HDMI 1.3 video signal thru to my Crystallio II without any issues?

so far; a big yes to that most important question. after comparing the Sony BDP-S350 straight into the Crystallio II and then thru the 11a; no difference we could see.....which means spactacular picture in both cases.

room set-up. we had some issues with getting any signal to the subwoofer. eventually we got it working.....and we think the problem had nothing to do with the 11a. as we are not sure wha the issue was i cannot really explain it.

once that was resolved the auto set-up was easy. the only glitch was that initially it would not play any test tones. we discovered that we needed to switch the input to a non-HDMI digital input; then it worked great.

my Home Theatre room is untreated acoustically. it's not that i don't believe in treatment; my dedicated 2-channel room......

......is designed acoustically from the ground up. i have just not been psyched enough about movie sound up till now to bother with treatment for the HT room.

after the set-up we played some discs. WOW! i am impressed.

we started with the Blue Ray 'Master and Commander' (DTS HD Master Audio 48khz); the first 10 minutes or so. scary good. layers and layers of rich natural detail....there is nothing quite like a large sailing ship for interesting sounds.

dynamic range and clarity that makes your hair stand up. the first battle scene came alive and it was almost too much realism. even with so much bombast nothing was hard or screechy......it all had a natural balance and foundation.

i was very impressed that my room held up quite well to high SPL's and a very complicated and energetic soundfield after the room set-up program was run. it is too soon for any conclusions but i think that the set-up process paid some dividends for sure.

we then played 'Live Free or Die Hard' (DTS-HD MA 48khz)......and more of the same stuff. natural, real, no edge.

so far the 11a is everything i hoped it would be.

we are now experimenting to see if we can send the HDMI 1.3 first to the Crystallio II and then to the 11a. we do get sound but not the top level bit rate stuff.

how does the 11a compare sonically to my Lexicon MC-12 v.2? there is no contest; the 11a kills it from what i have heard so far.

i have not tried any 2-channel analog and i never intend to use it that way. OTOH if i get the chance i'll take it down to my 2-channel room and compare it to the darTZeel in the 'big-rig' to see how it does.

my HT system; Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD, Sony BDP-S350 Blue Ray, Comcast HD, JVC D-Theatre, Cary Cinema 11a, Lexicon LX-7 power amp, (2) Velodyne 12" Servo F, Revel F-30, S-30, C-30, Paradgim Studio 20's. JVC RS-1, Crystallio II Video processor, ISCO III, Dalite 115" x 49" 1.5 gain 2:35 screen. the room is 19' x 16' x 9.5' and light control is very good but not perfect.

Mike,

How are you running your dual subs? Y adaptor to the subs or does the 11a have dual output capabilities? I also noticed in the manual that you can set individual crossovers for each speaker, is this so? Any problems setting the delay on the Cary to match your video processing?

Thanks,

Andy
post #11 of 1426 Old 11-21-2008, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post

Mike,

How are you running your dual subs? Y adaptor to the subs or does the 11a have dual output capabilities? I also noticed in the manual that you can set individual crossovers for each speaker, is this so? Any problems setting the delay on the Cary to match your video processing?

Thanks,

Andy

Andy,

the 11a has only one subwoofer output channel and yes, i am using a 'Y' adapter for my dual subs.

no delay issues we can see and we made no delay adjustments.

the auto-setup set the crossovers at;

front left--40hz
center--70hz
front right--60hz
side right--130hz
rear right--80hz
rear left--60hz
side left--120hz
sub--110hz

the Velodyne subs are set at full range which is at 100hz.

each separate speaker has individual adjustments at the following frequencies;

80hz
160hz
250hz
500hz
1khz
2khz
4khz
8khz
12khz
16khz

in 1/2 db increments.

subwoofer has adjustments at;

25hz
40hz
50hz
63hz
70hz
80hz
90hz
100hz
110hz
125hz

and lots of other info......
post #12 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks Mike. I was also eyeing the Classe ssp 800 but at almost $5k less the Cary sounds like a winner.
post #13 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

I have been looking forward to this tread for a year now.
Anyone tried bitstreamed DD True HD? I understand the DTS MA works well.

Cary Cinema 11a 08 - V1.08 HDMI & Audio onboard
post #14 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 04:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Ho my !

The unit looks gorgeous ! Thx for the picts and congratutalion to the new owners !

Does one of you intends to get the 11V too ?
post #15 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 05:41 AM

This SUCKS. I waited forever and couldn't stand it. So I ordered an Integra DHC 9.9 last week. It shows up today.

I got another call yesterday morning. The 11A and 7125 Cary Amp are shipping as well.

Never needed the Video in the 9.9.

What to do. Help!
post #16 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 06:44 AM

I can't believe I'm still sitting here with the C11A in the box... Can't wait to set it up next week. At least I'll have five days to play with it over Thanksgiving...and four new Blu-rays to watch.
post #17 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 06:46 AM

Mike --

Nice two-channel system! It's setups like that that make me wish I lived in the country and not NYC...
post #18 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I didn't know they offered it in Black. Damn I hate choices!

post #19 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregeas View Post

Mike --

Nice two-channel system! It's setups like that that make me wish I lived in the country and not NYC...

thanks. it is nice to have lots of space. that is much harder (and much more expensive) to do in the big city. life is full of compromises.

the 2-channel is my first love and where my 'cost no object' efforts go. with HT i try to stay at the optimal price/value point on the curve; on the video side things change too frequently to invest big dollars. with my 2-channel room/building/system i can invest in top level gear and the life-span of top performance is measured in decades (except digital source gear), not years, months or weeks like Home Theatre. i have not spent a dollar on the audio side of my HT for 7 years. besides the new processor; it's time to upgrade my subs from the Velodyne to likely JL Audio f112's or f113's.
post #20 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

First Impressions

Hello after taking a look at your 2 channel rig I would definitely love to hear what you think about the C11a'a two ch capabilities!

Djoel
post #21 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 10:06 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

So far I have not touched any speaker levels or any crossover points. The set up menu is very confusing. I think some of the navigation in the manual is wrong. Had to wander around to get the balanced analog inputs to work on input 1. Not sure how I did it but I wish I knew why it took so long. Input 2 toslink worked right away and the dac sounds great so far.

I must say I am very impressed with sound quality so far on every format but I am getting some popping when changing between sources which is very annoying. I hope to get this one figured out.

Thanks for your impressions Mike; had a similar experience finding some obscure settings in the cinema 11 [totally different when you have an osd ] . The 11 likes to pop when switching between pcm converted mpeg sd tv and dd hd tv out here a bit ..

Our C11a's have just arrived down here ; not long now ;notice you have a sacd player ; does the 11a self described 'dsd dac' decode the dsd bitstream ? or maybe the player converts to pcm ?

That black one looks nice if you want to match components.
post #22 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Holy crap Mike, just looked at your setup. I work in Redmond. Maybe I could park my big potato chip truck in front of your house for a couple of hours for a demo!

I intend to use my 11a for 2 channel as well as home theater. As a matter of fact I think it sounds every bit as good as my old Pass labs x2.5 preamp. Of course my hearing may not be all that great because I thought the analog section of my HK receiver sounded damn close with maybe a touch less sparkle in the upper registers. I sold the Pass last week to help pay for the 11a.

Now for the bad news and maybe it is no big deal, when switching to input 1 analog from any other input, the unit will cut off the first couple of seconds of the first thing played and does not kick into analog mode until you give it a signal. Once analog is engaged everything is fine until you change inputs. It takes a couple seconds to recognize any input which I can understand for digital.

Still getting some crackling when changing between inputs or changing channel on the tv. It only happens for a split second and does not reoccur until you change something. This could be something else in my setup but my old HK was dead silent.
post #23 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

each separate speaker has individual adjustments at the following frequencies;

80hz
160hz
250hz
500hz
1khz
2khz
4khz
8khz
12khz
16khz

in 1/2 db increments.

subwoofer has adjustments at;

25hz
40hz
50hz
63hz
70hz
80hz
90hz
100hz
110hz
125hz

and lots of other info......

Same old, same old.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #24 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

;notice you have a sacd player ; does the 11a self described 'dsd dac' decode the dsd bitstream ? or maybe the player converts to pcm ?

My sa11s1 does not output dsd or pcm in the digital domain. What I am really hoping for is a a truly universal player that plays bluray, sacd and dvda and outputs them via hdmi to take advatage of the eq and avoid redundant a/d to d/a conversions.
post #25 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My sa11s1 does not output dsd or pcm in the digital domain. What I am really hoping for is a a truly universal player that plays bluray, sacd and dvda and outputs them via hdmi to take advatage of the eq and avoid redundant a/d to d/a conversions.

regarding SACD/DSD digital output. the 'Scarlet Book' (the Sony/Philips rules for DSD like 'Redbook' for CD) prohibits an unencrypted digital output from any SACD drive. so you will never see DSD output over HDMI. there are a few separate transports which use proprietary interfaces which are encrypted for DSD....such as dcs and Esoteric.

if you purchase a $3000+ pro audio sound card such as the Sonoma and sign off that you will only use it for DSD mastering then that is one exception. another would be to purchase a 2X DSD recorder such as the KORG and do your own DSD recordings.
post #26 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If the Cinema 11A is between the scaler and the Projector and fed on a single HDMI cable from the scaler will it auto detect bitstream vs LPCM? The scaler will pass both but I do not want to split it and have to switch the HDMI inputs. The scaler does all my HDMI switching so it can't go after the Cinema 11a.

Has anyone gotten RS232 control to operate on the 11A or is everyone just using IR?
post #27 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post

If the Cinema 11A is between the scaler and the Projector and fed on a single HDMI cable from the scaler will it auto detect bitstream vs LPCM? The scaler will pass both but I do not want to split it and have to switch the HDMI inputs. The scaler does all my HDMI switching so it can't go after the Cinema 11a.

while playing Blue Ray and HD-DVD, we tried the 11a 'after' the scaler but only for the audio portion of the bitstream. we fed the projector straight from the scaler. the problem is that my scaler is not HDMI 1.3 capable so it does not pass thru the highest audio bit stream. the 11a did detect the audio but it was basic DD.

i think you could input any source with HDMI 1.3 required capablilities into the 11a (on it's 2 HDMI 1.3 inputs) and then input your other HD sources into the scaler and feed that audio back into the 11a. that should likely work just fine. how many sources might require HDMI 1.3 in the next few years? maybe a couple.

in a perfect world you'd have a scaler HDMI 1.3 capable with 5 or 6 HDMI inputs. then the hi-bit stream audio could be sent to the 11a. maybe the 11v works that way, i don't know.

Quote:

Has anyone gotten RS232 control to operate on the 11A or is everyone just using IR?

we did not try the RS232.
post #28 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It is interesting the number of variations! My scaler has 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs but only 1 output.

The thing that bothers me (I have not yet installed it as I am waiting to find out if I have a defective (RS232 capability not working) unit or it just doesn't exist in actuality.

Cary Audio has assured me that the capability is there but on my unit I can not make it work. Unfortunately there is no RS232 documentatuon for the 11a, and the Cary Audio enginerring and support staff is in Hong Kong with problem resolution only via email, can not talk to an engineer.

At this time I have no reason to doubt that Cary will resolve the issue.

What concerns me is that there is an HDMI input setting for the HDMI input mode as to whether it is bitstream or LPCM. That may just be for compatibility with HDMI prior to 1.3. If the RS232 capabaility is there and it can control the HDMI mode, if it needs to, then I have no issue. If they automatically detect the format on the HDMI cable then no issue. If they do not then I wonder why not. If it can only be controlled at setup time then I am not happy as the unit will not fill my requirements or I will need a splitter to pull the audio out of the BR player and feed it into the Cary.

All conjecture at this point and I will wait till some email transpires between Cary USA and Cary Hong Kong.
post #29 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

regarding SACD/DSD digital output. the 'Scarlet Book' (the Sony/Philips rules for DSD like 'Redbook' for CD) prohibits an unencrypted digital output from any SACD drive. so you will never see DSD output over HDMI. there are a few separate transports which use proprietary interfaces which are encrypted for DSD....such as dcs and Esoteric.

Nope. There are at least 4 players available now that will output DSD over HDMI and, undoubtedly, there will be more. In addition, these and others will output full-resolution MPCM transcoded from DSD over HDMI. Oppo 980H, Pioneer DV-48, DV-58, Sony XA5400ES.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #30 of 1426 Old 11-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Nice work guys, and nice setups. Been waiting for a review. Want to replace my Krell S1000 and it looks like the 11A might be the one.

Couple of quick questions.
Can the unit be turned on by pressing an input button on remote (a la the Lex MC12) or do you have to hit power first?
How is the setup menu done with no vid monitor out? Does it overlay on pic?

Mike,
The front menu display looks very much like the MC12(which I had, and thought was done very nicely), am I correct?

Thanks.

Jose.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors