post #181 of 198 Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post

The Thiels do not sound the same with the XPA-1's as they do with the Threshold. They sound very very nice with either one though. The Thiels present a 4 ohm load and the XPA-1's are capable of one thousand watts each at that resistance.

The Threshold is rated at 100 watts per channel pure class A at 8 ohms. It is capable of outputting more but above that it shifts to it's class AB mode. I had it tested at a local dealer once and they measured 320 watts per channel before clipping onset at 4 ohms.

The Threshold sounds wonderful on those Thiels but the XPA-1 sounds more dynamic..especially at higher levels. I still have the Threshold in my system and available if I want to use it, but the Thiels are normally hooked to the XPA-1's.

Because of an unstable job situation I need to wait on any purchases, but I think the XPA-1 should go back on my short list. Even though I don't need the power, the control they seem to offer would be an asset. The fact that your Thiels can sound bright depending upon the electronics used gives me some perspective also, as they don't sound that way with the XPA-1. My Mirage M3-si speakers aren't bright-sounding, so perhaps they'd be a good fit with these amps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 198 Old 04-05-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

(picks up DJoel's eyes and rolls them back)

huh?

Djoel
post #183 of 198 Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

My Mirage M3-si speakers aren't bright-sounding, so perhaps they'd be a good fit with these amps

Amps are not designed to change any Frequency response of any speaker, if they do then they are poorly designed. You shouldn't just assume strindl is accurate in his subjective opinion and you definitely should spend X$$$ alone on that one opinion. There are many underlying reasons to what is happening with his speakers. I would ask for measurements to show the difference before any conclusions could be made.

If you want to tame the bright nature of your speakers then buy an EQing system.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #184 of 198 Old 04-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

huh?

Djoel

lol..you said you rolled your eyes. I was just being helpful.
post #185 of 198 Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

If you want to tame the bright nature of your speakers then buy an EQing system.

I just let the XPA-1's burnin for 24 hours...problem solved. Very simple, very easy. No need for an EQing system.
post #186 of 198 Old 04-05-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

lol..you said you rolled your eyes. I was just being helpful.

Got it.

On another note I should have a pair of these in a few weeks or so, I'll be mating them with some B&W 802N and see how they play together

I read your review of the mono's in the Emo site, which help me in my decision Like I need any arm twisting.

Can't wait

DJoel
post #187 of 198 Old 04-05-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Got it.

On another note I should have a pair of these in a few weeks or so, I'll be mating them with some B&W 802N and see how they play together

I read your review of the mono's in the Emo site, which help me in my decision Like I need any arm twisting.

Can't wait

DJoel

Emotiva's podcast mentioned they just got a big shipment of gear in...including lots of XPA-1's. They had been out of stock for a couple months.

Those B&W's should sound really nice with the XPA-1's. They are somewhat similar in sound to the Thiels, although quite a bit more efficient. They can still make use of the XPA-1's capabilities.
post #188 of 198 Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Amps are not designed to change any Frequency response of any speaker, if they do then they are poorly designed. You shouldn't just assume strindl is accurate in his subjective opinion and you definitely should spend X$$$ alone on that one opinion. There are many underlying reasons to what is happening with his speakers. I would ask for measurements to show the difference before any conclusions could be made.

Well, I'm not going to buy them necessarily; I'm going to consider them. Strindl's impressions are merely information, just as the XPA-1's specs are. Usually, I look at both objective and subjective information when considering purchases like this. I've seen one professional review, and strindl's comments are largely consistent with what the review said. Measurements accompany that review, so I'll be taking a deeper look at those.

You're right about amps changing frequency response of the speakers; I wouldn't expect any good amp to do that. My speakers are not bright, so that's not an issue. Good, clean sound is what I'd want if I make a change, and preliminary investigation tells me these XPA-1s can do that. But we'll see.
post #189 of 198 Old 04-05-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

While amps may not be designed to "change" the frequency response of the speaker, many amps have a high enough output impedance to result in small deviations from flat response. His is especially true with speakers with low impedance or large impedance variations.

I think this factor is actually a significant contributor to someone claiming they can hear differences between amps. With some amp and speaker combos, it's possible to have relatively large response deviations. Grab a 4ohm speaker with big swings and a tube amp for a clear example of this.
post #190 of 198 Old 04-06-2010, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

While amps may not be designed to "change" the frequency response of the speaker, many amps have a high enough output impedance to result in small deviations from flat response. His is especially true with speakers with low impedance or large impedance variations.

I think this factor is actually a significant contributor to someone claiming they can hear differences between amps. With some amp and speaker combos, it's possible to have relatively large response deviations. Grab a 4ohm speaker with big swings and a tube amp for a clear example of this.

And, in my beginner days, when I auditioned my first amps (an Adcom vs. a B&K) I did hear a difference, which is why I bought the B&K. Price wasn't an issue, as they were close in price. I had no measurements to work with, or much understanding of what they meant; the audition was the only info I had. It was enough.

These days demos are harder to come by, so other info is important. The Thiels are 4 ohm; my Mirages are 6 ohm (minimum 4). My results with these XPA-1s may well be different; I'd expect them to be. If I buy them, I'll find out.
post #191 of 198 Old 04-06-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:

Got it. On another note I should have a pair of these in a few weeks or so, I'll be mating them with some B&W 802N and see how they play together I read your review of the mono's in the Emo site, which help me in my decision Like I need any arm twisting. Can't wait DJoel

Let us know I have been on the fence for these for a while the value is superb if they deliver!!
post #192 of 198 Old 04-06-2010, 12:17 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

And, in my beginner days, when I auditioned my first amps (an Adcom vs. a B&K) I did hear a difference, which is why I bought the B&K. Price wasn't an issue, as they were close in price. I had no measurements to work with, or much understanding of what they meant; the audition was the only info I had. It was enough.

These days demos are harder to come by, so other info is important. The Thiels are 4 ohm; my Mirages are 6 ohm (minimum 4). My results with these XPA-1s may well be different; I'd expect them to be. If I buy them, I'll find out.

Agreed. I was doing a lot of reading about the Adcom "sound" as well as the B&K "sound". For a short while, I had a B&K amp driving my Monitor Audio speakers. I could certainly hear a difference between the B&K and the built in amp in my Pioneer Elite receiver and, again, a slightly different sound between the B&K and my Parasound amps.
post #193 of 198 Old 04-07-2010, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

Agreed. I was doing a lot of reading about the Adcom "sound" as well as the B&K "sound". For a short while, I had a B&K amp driving my Monitor Audio speakers. I could certainly hear a difference between the B&K and the built in amp in my Pioneer Elite receiver and, again, a slightly different sound between the B&K and my Parasound amps.

Yes. One of the mysteries, to me, is how a reportedly neutral-sounding amp such as the XPA-1 will do with overly bright recordings, as opposed to the tube-ish sound of B&K. My speakers "can and will expose warts" (quote from the original Sterophile review) on less-than-perfect recordings, and whether dead neutral helps or hurts is one of those things only an in-home session will address. There is the option of waiting until the Christmas holidays when, Lord willing, my employment situation will be stable and I head to Nashville. Emotiva's digs are in Franklin, a suburb. They do have a couple of rooms set up so an audition would be possible. Of course, I'd take my own music.

I'd still like to get back to those XPA-1 measurements from the Secrets review, though. Maybe compare them to some B&K measurements, if I can.
post #194 of 198 Old 04-07-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just let the XPA-1's burnin for 24 hours...problem solved. Very simple, very easy. No need for an EQing system.

Another false assumption, there is not a component inside an amp that requires 24 hours of burn in at home.

Keep digging that hole Strindl

post #195 of 198 Old 04-07-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

Absolute and without 3rd party testing we do not know the true specs of each amp.

post #196 of 198 Old 04-07-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Another false assumption, there is not a component inside an amp that requires 24 hours of burn in at home.

Sorry, but in the case of the XPA-1's, you're dead wrong. Sometimes being hard headed is a good thing, sometimes not.
post #197 of 198 Old 04-07-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My understanding is that what is really happening is the capacitors are being charged/filled up when an amp is turned on. Not sure how long that takes, perhaps it depends upon their capacity. It's why you get the initial inrush of current. If the XPA-1s (or any amps) are just-out-of-the-box new, the electrical pathways may need to "break" in (somewhat like the nerve pathways in the human body as a new skill or task is learned), and the capacitors are probably empty.

Quote:

Absolute and without 3rd party testing we do not know the true specs of each amp.

Help me out here. As far as the testing, what constitutes a third party? Do you mean simply someone other than the manufacturer and end user, such as a reviewer? Someone who's objective (i.e. no bias one way or the other), has proper equipment, and knows what they're doing would be important for sure. While a manufacturer could be objective, they'd be suspect, understandably.

I don't want to take the thread any further off-topic than it's going with this line of discussion, so I'll stop there. Thanks.
post #198 of 198 Old 04-26-2014, 05:15 PM

Liked: 10
I am contemplating buying a pair of XPA-1s to power a pair of (4 Ohm) Magnepan speakers but haven't had the chance to trial a pair. I had two questions I hoped more experienced folks here could help me with:

1. Is there a big difference between the Gen 1 & 2 versions of the XPA-1? I've compared the spec sheets & beyond power, the differences seem to be subtle. Has anyone here had the chance to compare how the two sound? If so, what was the verdict? Alternatively, is there a review anywhere that addresses the difference between the two? I've searched but not come up with much.

** Edit: After some research, I am beginning to wonder whether I should be choosing between the XPA-1L & the XPA-1 Gen II - because of the Class A output, this seems like it might be a better choice. Again, hard to judge without having had a chance to compare...

2. Has anyone here used the XPA-1s (either version) with Magnepans? How did you find them - & would you recommend them for driving Maggies?

Apologies if these questions are broad & off-topic but I hoped this might be the place to get some answers to at least some of the intangibles (obviously, I know there is no substitute to hearing them in my system but I haven't had the chance to do that & likely won't without purchasing a pair).

TIA!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page