Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 12-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
As someone suggested earlier, I'd say go ahead and give the Audyssey a shot and see if it makes a noticeable difference. You can always hand tweak it afterwards. It would be interesting to hear if it got it any closer to the Marantz sound.

"Thanks for all the information guys.

I'm going back to that one question I had earlier.

Does anyone have any starter points for the Onkyo's built in EQ? Well, for some decent bookshelf speakers anyway."

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm going through this same exact thing!

I bought an Onkyo TX-NR626 in January to replace my forty year old Marantz 2240. At first I thought I'd not set it up right. Time got away from me and after 30 days I could not return it. I've decided to have my old one tuned up and sell the Onkyo.

The Onkyo sound is terrible.

I feel like I threw $500 out the window!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Recently heard a pair of Klipsch Palladium Speakers hooked up to a Tandberg TR-2060. New $8000 speakers and a 1970's receiver. Incredible sound.smile.gif
Old 06-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstaterob View Post

I'm going through this same exact thing!

I bought an Onkyo TX-NR626 in January to replace my forty year old Marantz 2240. At first I thought I'd not set it up right. Time got away from me and after 30 days I could not return it. I've decided to have my old one tuned up and sell the Onkyo.

The Onkyo sound is terrible.

I feel like I threw $500 out the window!

The 2240 retailed for $450 in 1974. That's $2160 in 2014 dollars. Of course a new lower-end $500 receiver won't compare. It's going to have cheaper parts (esp. when you consider the additional video features), less power supply capacity, etc.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I thoroughly enjoy my 40-year-old Marantz 2230 receiver as well as my 30-year-old NAD 3020 integrated amp. I'd like to exchange PMs with others about best techniques for preventive maintenance, particularly preventing noisy switches and pots, replacing burned-out bulb lights, and generally keeping these vintage audio components in top operating condition.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:11 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 912
If you can defeat all the signal processing in the AV receiver, then they should sound the same.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post
Not trying to start any debates, I'm just looking for some advice.

I've been running a very old Marantz for 2 yrs that my dad gave me. I think it's about 35-40 yrs old. It's not part of my basement home theater, it's just used for music in my living room (no TV). Currently I have Polk rti A1's in use.

The Marantz is rated at 45 watts. Just 2 channels. The sound is really nice, but my left channel has started to cut out on occasion. So I went looking for something to replace it with that might also be used for surround sound if I ever get a TV in the room.

Today my Onkyo 506 came in.

It sounds "cleaner" I suppose, but something else seems to be missing. I don't know the terminology, but the Marantz may have had a 'warmer' sound? The Onkyo kinda sounded hollow or something. The difference seems extremely obvious, which kind of threw me off a bit.

I checked the settings, no subwoofer, no center, surrounds, etc. I even tried setting the bass up to +4 and treble to +4. A bit better, but I'm still a little disappointed.

It does have a EQ though. So my question is:

Can anyone give me any pointers on where to start off with for the EQ to make it sound a bit better?

P.S. - I was getting really nice full sound from the 45 watt Marantz at 1/4 volume. I had the 75 watt Onkyo up to 50 (80 max) to get what I thought was close. Any ideas on that? Maybe the Marantz is rated a bit low? Or does it just have a fuller sound requiring less volume? I don't know the technical sides of that. Just curious.

Thanks in advance.
The marantz might have a baked-in warm EQ curve. Or it might have been designed to be linear but component drift has created a non-flat response. Or possibly it is distorting euphonically atypur listrning levels.

If both were flat there would be no sonic differences thst could be detected in double blind testing. Assuming we are all humans here, non-blind listening tests detect an entangled set of subconscious biases and actual audible differences
htpcforever likes this.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post
The marantz might have a baked-in warm EQ curve. Or it might have been designed to be linear but component drift has created a non-flat response. Or possibly it is distorting euphonically atypur listrning levels.

If both were flat there would be no sonic differences thst could be detected in double blind testing. Assuming we are all humans here, non-blind listening tests detect an entangled set of subconscious biases and actual audible differences
This is true, I had an old NAD Intergraed Amp and it was nice and warm but as soon as I used it as an amp it lost the warmness and sounded like my New Marantz AVR. I believe the NAD had a EQ curve on the Preamp side that made it sound so different.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I've tried 3 different brands of receivers 7n my musuc setup. Used their pre amp outputs feeding a separate power amp.

The receivers were all older models I had on hand and all had their signal enhancement circuits disabled, playing in each manufacturer's version of straight stereo. No room correction, etc. Was used.

The results were that 2 of the sounded really bad. The bad ones were Pioneer & Onkyo. The keeper was an old Yamaha.

Sound differences were that the Pioneer sounded like a wet wool blanket covered the speakers. Onkyo sounded thin and somewhat metallic. The Yamaha sounded clear and crisp.

Not using the built in amps during this test tells me that each pre amp section had it's own sonic signature.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post
I thoroughly enjoy my 40-year-old Marantz 2230 receiver as well as my 30-year-old NAD 3020 integrated amp. I'd like to exchange PMs with others about best techniques for preventive maintenance, particularly preventing noisy switches and pots, replacing burned-out bulb lights, and generally keeping these vintage audio components in top operating condition.
Try AudioKarma.org , super knowledgeable and friendly people on Vintage Gear