Do I need a Receiver With Dolby True HD/DTS HD For My PS3? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Do I need a Receiver With Dolby True HD/DTS HD For My PS3?

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

tyreal78's Avatar tyreal78
09:56 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 12
12-05-2008 | Posts: 14
Looking for a new receiver but not sure whether or not I need to purchase one with Dolby True HD and DTS HD, considering I have a PS3.

I'm totally naive to this process.

Any help and info is appreciated.

Thank you.
MichaelJHuman's Avatar MichaelJHuman
10:01 AM Liked: 119
post #2 of 12
12-05-2008 | Posts: 18,963
You might in future, but at present, the PS cannot send bitstream HBR audio such as TrueHD, only DD/DTS. Instead, with an HDMI receiver you would set the PS3 to output MPCM. Not every receiver supports HDMI audio - some will say something like 'HDMI passthrough' or "HDMI video switching' and don't handle the audio portion.
gunbunnysoulja's Avatar gunbunnysoulja
10:09 AM Liked: 11
post #3 of 12
12-05-2008 | Posts: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Not every receiver supports HDMI audio - some will say something like 'HDMI passthrough' or "HDMI video switching' and don't handle the audio portion.

Marketing for this scenario is very confusing. Sometimes I myself have to heavily research a product to see if it can even accept MPCM over HDMI.
10:11 AM Liked: 10
post #4 of 12
Quote:

You might in future, but at present, the PS cannot send bitstream HBR audio such as TrueHD, only DD/DTS. Instead, with an HDMI receiver you would set the PS3 to output MPCM. Not every receiver supports HDMI audio - some will say something like 'HDMI passthrough' or "HDMI video switching' and don't handle the audio portion.

Ok. So what's features are important in a receiver for the PS3 right now? Does it have to support PCM? I take it PCM is basically audio through HDMI? How will I be able to tell if a receiver supports PCM from the features. It seems many people purchase receivers only to discover the HDMI ports only process video. How do I avoid running into this when shopping around.

Thanks so much for your help. I really do appreciate you taking the time to explain this basic technology.
10:16 AM Liked: 11
post #5 of 12
You need an HDMI 1.1 repeater or greater. It can be hard to decipher MPCM capability.

Video switching usually means audio is NOT processed. HDMI passthrough is also confusing, as I have seen some marketing as passthrough, but also still process audio. Usually not though.

If you have a few models in mind, we can help you out whether they can accept MPCM or not.

Few inexpensive last gen options:
Onkyo 604
Marantz 4001
Yamaha 661
Yamaha HTR-6060
HK 247
Panasonic XR57
Sony STR-DG810
Denon 887
Denon 1908CI
Denon 788
Denon 2308CI
MichaelJHuman's Avatar MichaelJHuman
10:23 AM Liked: 119
post #6 of 12
12-05-2008 | Posts: 18,963
By, in the future, I meant a future version of the PS3. Or maybe he buys a new player that does bitstream.

Just so you know that a receiver with bitstream could be useful to you at some point.
10:27 AM Liked: 11
post #7 of 12
Quote:

By, in the future, I meant a future version of the PS3. Or maybe he buys a new player that does bitstream.

Just so you know that a receiver with bitstream could be useful to you at some point.

Sorry, I interpreted the response wrong Edited accordingly. I agree bitstream support could come in handy, especially considering current price points are on par with last gen receivers that don't have the capability.
Easyaspie's Avatar Easyaspie
10:32 AM Liked: 14
post #8 of 12
12-05-2008 | Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyreal78 View Post

Looking for a new receiver but not sure whether or not I need to purchase one with Dolby True HD and DTS HD, considering I have a PS3.

No.
10:34 AM Liked: 10
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post

You need an HDMI 1.1 repeater or greater. It can be hard to decipher MPCM capability.

Video switching usually means audio is NOT processed. HDMI passthrough is also confusing, as I have seen some marketing as passthrough, but also still process audio. Usually not though.

If you have a few models in mind, we can help you out whether they can accept MPCM or not.

Few inexpensive last gen options:
Onkyo 604
Marantz 4001
Yamaha 661
Yamaha HTR-6060
HK 247
Panasonic XR57
Sony STR-DG810
Denon 887
Denon 1908CI
Denon 788
Denon 2308CI

Yeah, the "passthrough" feature is what gets me. Passthrough apparently means different things to different manufacturers.

I just purchased an Onkyo 606, but experienced the hum/buzz syndrome with any component hooked up via HDMI with a hi-def signal. And no, it wasn't a ground loop. I tried everything, from 3 to 2 prong adapters, to plugging each component in to different outlets, having only one component plugged in at a time, process of elimination, etc. I scanned forums to find thousands of others experiencing the same thing, and I tried many different suggested receiver settings. Ugh.

Anyway, I'm sending it back to Amazon today. The shopping goes on. I want something similar to the 606, but without the buzz problem.

I guess these are the features I'd like:
- HDMI passthrough (both video and audio)
- 5.1 (The only reason I would want 7.1 is for zone 2. My house is so small, zone 2 isn't even a big feature for me).
- Good sound for music and movies. (Movies 75%, music 25%).
- DD True HD/DTS HD codecs. (From what I've gathered, the PS3 might be able to utilize this in future firmware upgrades. Not sure though. If not, then I guess I really don't need this feature.

I just purchased a used set of 3 Usher S-520 bookshelves so I really just want a mid range receiver to go well with those and my PS3.

I've looked at...
Denon AVR 988
Denon AVR 1909
HK AVR 154
HK AVR 254
Sony STR-DG820
Sony STR-DG920
The Onkyo's (but am hesitant due to the above issue)
And I haven't got around to the Yamaha's and Pioneers yet.
frankie_v's Avatar frankie_v
06:44 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 12
12-06-2008 | Posts: 242
Quote:

Yeah, the "passthrough" feature is what gets me. Passthrough apparently means different things to different manufacturers.

I just purchased an Onkyo 606, but experienced the hum/buzz syndrome with any component hooked up via HDMI with a hi-def signal. And no, it wasn't a ground loop. I tried everything, from 3 to 2 prong adapters, to plugging each component in to different outlets, having only one component plugged in at a time, process of elimination, etc. I scanned forums to find thousands of others experiencing the same thing, and I tried many different suggested receiver settings. Ugh.

Anyway, I'm sending it back to Amazon today. The shopping goes on. I want something similar to the 606, but without the buzz problem.

- 5.1 (The only reason I would want 7.1 is for zone 2. My house is so small, zone 2 isn't even a big feature for me).
- DD True HD/DTS HD codecs. (From what I've gathered, the PS3 might be able to utilize this in future firmware upgrades. Not sure though. If not, then I guess I really don't need this feature.

I just purchased a used set of 3 Usher S-520 bookshelves so I really just want a mid range receiver to go well with those and my PS3.

I've looked at...
Denon AVR 988
Denon AVR 1909
HK AVR 154
HK AVR 254
Sony STR-DG820
Sony STR-DG920

I just ordered the Pioneer VSX-1018AH from Newegg. I was really wanting the 606, but I know that if I one of the lucky buyers who experienced the HDMI hum, I would have been pretty upset after knowing about that issue.

Seems like others like it. And some were previous 606 owners. Comb that thread for a "code" for Pioneer's website if you decide to go that way. It would have saved me a few bucks but I was too late.
pottscb's Avatar pottscb
01:14 PM Liked: 42
post #11 of 12
12-07-2008 | Posts: 1,316
Quote:

I've looked at...
Denon AVR 988
Denon AVR 1909
HK AVR 154
HK AVR 254
Sony STR-DG820
Sony STR-DG920

Not sure what your budget is but I recently had an Onkyo 805 crater on me and I replaced it with a Denon AVR-2309/889 and it has easily as good of sound quality as the higher end Onkyo, more useful options, and is half the size and weight of the Onkyo...anyway, if you cna find a deal on one of these I'd give it a shot. This is the first Denon product I've owned and so far, I'm very happy with its performance.
tjy5's Avatar tjy5
12:40 PM Liked: 10
post #12 of 12
12-17-2008 | Posts: 17
I second what frankie_v said--the pioneer 1018 looks like a good match for your setup. You may also want to consider the yamaha 663, but it only has 2 hdmi ports and a problem with ATI graphics cards sent over hdmi. I ordered the pio with the coupon last week. Hopefully it gets here before Christmas.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread