Can someone explain "Pass Through HDMI?" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a panasonic plasma, non-HDMI receiver, and PS3. I'm looking for a new HDMI receiver so I can get lossless audio.

I did a lot of research and thought I finally understood all of the basics regarding receivers. However, a friend of mine told me the other day that I have to get a receiver with "pass through" HDMI. He also told me that this is a very expensive option.

I was looking at the Onkyo 606 (as well as some Denon and other receivers). Does the Onkyo 606 not have "pass through" HDMI? What is "pass through?" Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-09-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The term is sadly poorly defined. Some receiver specs use the term to mean the receiver does not play HDMI audio. Some people use the term to indicate that they want a receiver which does not process HDMI video in any way (or they can turn of processing.)

I have no idea what your friend means. You need to ask him.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 6 Old 12-09-2008, 10:47 PM

Liked: 10
as far as i know, i think your friend has it backwards. You do not want a receiver that has HDMI pas through.

From what i can tell this means that you would have to run a separate audio cable to the receiver and audio is not passed via the HDMI cable. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the new HD audio formats, but i think that they only work via HDMI.

It may have to do with HDMI scaling, where the image would be upscaled to say 1080p.

hope that helps.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-09-2008, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey314 View Post

I have a panasonic plasma, non-HDMI receiver, and PS3. I'm looking for a new HDMI receiver so I can get lossless audio.

I did a lot of research and thought I finally understood all of the basics regarding receivers. However, a friend of mine told me the other day that I have to get a receiver with "pass through" HDMI. He also told me that this is a very expensive option.

I was looking at the Onkyo 606 (as well as some Denon and other receivers). Does the Onkyo 606 not have "pass through" HDMI? What is "pass through?" Thanks in advance!

not sure what that means exactly, but that onkyo will get the job done perfectly fine with all new audio codecs.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-10-2008, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
If you want to ensure you get passthrough, do as I do, simply hook up the hdmi cable right into the tv from the source and the optical audio goes to the pre/pro.

You need to go back to your AV adviser and ask him/her what they meant by 'passthrough'. As noted above, its a term tossed about, usually without deffinition.

As for lossless audio, if your receiver has optical inputs that is as good as it gets provided the device sending the signal has the capability to send lossless signals.

What you may be missing is the ability to decode the latest audio codexs. Newer formats are coming and some are already here, such as Dolby Digital Surround DX and TrueHD and a few others I don't care to store in my head.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-10-2008, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What you need is a receiver that accepts MultiChannel PCM via HDMI 1.1 repeater (or greater).

Pass-through is usually correlated with Video Switching only, however some manufacturers use the term differently.

If the receiver says is decodes the advanced audio codecs, then it automatically accepts MPCM. You are then however paying for a feature you don't need (although current prices of receivers offering internal decoding are now close in price to last gen which only accept MPCM).

A few options of last gen receivers offering MPCM are the following:

Onkyo 604
Onkyo 605
Marantz 4001
Marantz 4002
Yamaha 661
Yamaha 663
Yamaha HTR-6060
HK 247
Panasonic XR57
Sony STR-DG810
Denon 887