Help me compliment my visual setup, please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-18-2008, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been tearing my hair out trying to decide what receiver or HTIB to purchase that would do justice to the HUGE investment I just made on the visual end of things.

Here is my setup:

1) Samsung LN55A950, 55", 120Hz, LED-backlit LCD HDTV

2) Samsung BD-P2550 Blu Ray Player

3) DMA2100 Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N HD Media Center Extender (may return and replace w/ the Popcorn Hour A110 Media Tank)

4) Scientific Atlantic Explorer 4250 HDC cable box (supplied by Comcast)

5) HELP!!!!

This is where I'm looking for recommendations for a proper receiver and speakers, OR a HTIB. I've sunk a crapload into 1 through 4; I don't want to sell myself short by not getting the right audio setup.

I know very little about all-things-audio, but I've come up with the following options based on my research thus far:

- Onkyo HT-S7100 7.1 Channel Receiver and Speaker Package
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...search11718-20

- Denon AVR1909 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=DENAVR1909

I've heard good things about these two below, but haven't dug up any deals/info about them.

- Yamaha 663

- Harmon-Kardon 254 or 354

The Onkyo above is what I'm leaning towards b/c it has 4 HDMI inputs and (apparently) decodes TrueHD and DTS-MA (those are the two big ones, right?).

Please help me out. I've made so many posts on various home theater forums around the internet and have yet to get any serious responses from folks who are willing to draw a line in the sand for a particular product. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-18-2008, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you want to "do justice" to match up the audio quality to the video quality, you definitely do NOT want the Onkyo HTiB. Personally, I think audio should be (atleast) equally budgeted as video, but many don't....

Put as much as you can into speakers, and get a receiver that internally decodes (for MA particularily).
post #3 of 8 Old 12-18-2008, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post

If you want to "do justice" to match up the audio quality to the video quality, you definitely do NOT want the Onkyo HTiB. Personally, I think audio should be (atleast) equally budgeted as video, but many don't....

Put as much as you can into speakers, and get a receiver that internally decodes (for MA particularily).

Okay, good info; thanks. I'll steer clear of the HTIB. However, I'm no audiophile, and I really don't care about all the specifics that make good audio what it is. What I do want is great, moderately-powerful sound, from a box that I won't want (or have) to replace in three years.

I bought the Sammy LN55A950 b/c it was amongst the best in it's line and I am not willing to spare much in terms of visual bliss. I guess I have the same attitude when it comes to audio, but I am not as concerned about quality (I don't think I'm acute enough to notice any difference between good and great). Does that make sense?
post #4 of 8 Old 12-18-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand. I would just focus on speakers opposed to the receiver. Do some research over in the speaker section. I would strongly consider ID as you get alot for your money. Speakers make a far larger impact on sound quality opposed to the receiver.

Most receivers in your price range are going to be incredibly similar in sound quality. I personally believe the biggest improvements among different receivers will be based off the room correction software implementation.

Audyssey MultiEQ XT does wonders.

If you want somewhat future proofing, get a receiver that internally decodes the advanced audio codecs, offers room correction, and has 3 HDMI inputs.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-18-2008, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post

I understand. I would just focus on speakers opposed to the receiver. Do some research over in the speaker section. I would strongly consider ID as you get alot for your money. Speakers make a far larger impact on sound quality opposed to the receiver.

Thanks gunbunny, that's what I think I'll do. I have a feeling I'm going to settle on the Onkyo 706 receiver and will put more consideration into the speakers.

Forgive me for not knowing; what do you mean by "ID" above? Is that a brand?
post #6 of 8 Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuxion View Post

Thanks gunbunny, that's what I think I'll do. I have a feeling I'm going to settle on the Onkyo 706 receiver and will put more consideration into the speakers.

Forgive me for not knowing; what do you mean by "ID" above? Is that a brand?

Sorry for not being more clear...

ID = Internet Direct. Many speaker companies are ID, sell for less, and offer 30 day in home trials.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
In your shoes you should consider saving some money by going with an older or lower-level receiver that supports LPCM over HDMI, but doesn't decode the next-gen audio formats. Your P2550 can currently decode everything except DTS-MA, and will be able to decode DTS-MA too when the firmware update is released. Something like any of the Marantz SR400* or SR500* models would work well. Check out accessories4less for some great refurb deals on these.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-18-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

Your P2550 can currently decode everything except DTS-MA, and will be able to decode DTS-MA too when the firmware update is released.

I didn't realize that...

In that case, I agree last gen would be the best option, such as the accessories4less Marantz choices.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page