A/V Receiver with ATSC Tuner? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-24-2008, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone make an A/V receiver with ATSC tuner? I had heard that cable/dish folks compress HD so you will see compression effects on supposedly HD channels and that the over the air signals are not compressed and so no effects. Is this true? I have great reception where I am and still have an antenna on my roof (weird huh?) Yes, my LCD has an ATSC tuner, but I am in the market for a new AV receiver that I want to control everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-24-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't think so. The AVR / audio processor is not a place for such a video tuner.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-24-2008, 09:55 AM

I receiver my local channels in HD over the air as well. I was considering upgrading my current Denon 3802 receiver to simplify things as I now route all the video (DISH, and 2 DVDs) thru the TV and I have to cycle thru all the TV inputs to change sources. But even with a new receiver I would still need to change inputs on the TV to watch local network programming which is almost half my viewing. So I guess i'll stick with my trusty 3802 which is still going strong a sounds great.

Mike
post #4 of 9 Old 12-24-2008, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

I think I recall old receivers having NTSC tuners but I may have lost some brain cells.

My LCD ATSC tuner will work, it even has an optical audio out I can connect to my receiver to get the surround sound.

I can't stand compression effects in supposedly HDTV. Every time I visit my brother-in-law he brags about his great dish setup but I get this nervous twitch watching all the originally crisp graphics get fuzzy edges. When I tell him he should connect an antenna, he kicks sand at me.

There is an Antenna In (FM) on the back of my receiver and all these free HDTV waves streaming in. I thought someone would connect the dots and stuff a tuner in the box with all the other video processing stuff.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-24-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
It's interesting that they don't put TV tuners into receivers. Must be a marketing decision of some sort. I suspect few people would use them. Heck, few people probably use their FM tuners anymore.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 9 Old 12-24-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil06 View Post

Does anyone make an A/V receiver with ATSC tuner? I had heard that cable/dish folks compress HD so you will see compression effects on supposedly HD channels and that the over the air signals are not compressed and so no effects. Is this true? I have great reception where I am and still have an antenna on my roof (weird huh?) Yes, my LCD has an ATSC tuner, but I am in the market for a new AV receiver that I want to control everything.

ota signals are also compressed but usually less then sat and cable.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #7 of 9 Old 12-24-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

dssturbo1: do you know of any good threads that delve into this? I want to learn more and make sure I am getting the most out of my system. If my antenna gets crisper HDTV than my fios for the standard network channels then that is what I want to watch (when I am watching live and not DVRing to avoid the commercials)
post #8 of 9 Old 12-24-2008, 12:23 PM

I've got an old HDTV tuner (Samsung SIR T151) that I used when I had just an HD monitor that has been laying in the closet collecting dust for 3 years. If I decide to upgrade my current AVR (Denon 3802) I might try to integrate that into my system but the down side is my wife don't want to see another piece of equipment hooked up. I think the separate tuner might pull in the fringe stations better than the built in tuner on the TV.

Phil06
You might be able to find one of these type HDTV tuners fairly reasonable now. That would allow you to leave the TV on one input and just change inputs on the receiver.

I'm having trouble resisting the urge to upgrade.

Mike
post #9 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 07:00 AM

Why not?

For those of us with projectors, a tuner that does not require yet one more component would be a real asset. For those with flat screens the additional tuner would fill the PIP gap.

I had a Panasonic VCR DVD-R combo that had a HD tuner that worked great - but it would be better for me to have an AM/FM/ATSC receiver.

It seems like an obvious feature for an AV receiver that should not add substantially to the cost.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page