What is the best way to connect an HD-DVR to upconverting AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-25-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
With HDMI or Components? I'll try to explain why I am asking.

If all the channels on cable were in HD then you would just connect the DVR to the AVR via HDMI. Since not all channels on cable are in HD, and your receiver (say the Pio 1018) doesn't upconvert HDMI but only passes it through but it does upconvert Component, would it be better to connect the DVR to the AVR with a lower level connection like Component cables so the AVR can upconvert the non-HD channels? Or is it best to connect via HDMI and let the TV handle things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-25-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiz00tx View Post

With HDMI or Components? I'll try to explain why I am asking.

If all the channels on cable were in HD then you would just connect the DVR to the AVR via HDMI. Since not all channels on cable are in HD, and your receiver (say the Pio 1018) doesn't upconvert HDMI but only passes it through but it does upconvert Component, would it be better to connect the DVR to the AVR with a lower level connection like Component cables so the AVR can upconvert the non-HD channels? Or is it best to connect via HDMI and let the TV handle things?

Your TV is going to upscale to its native resolution, so I wouldn't agonize over it. Upconverting is the process of going from an analog input to a digital output. Upscaling is the process of taking a lower resolution to a higher resolution. Many AVRs do best if you don't ask too much of them for upscaling. Sometimes upscaling 480i to 480p or 720 produces better results than upscaling to 1080.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-25-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

Your TV is going to upscale to its native resolution, so I wouldn't agonize over it. Upconverting is the process of going from an analog input to a digital output. Upscaling is the process of taking a lower resolution to a higher resolution. Many AVRs do best if you don't ask too much of them for upscaling. Sometimes upscaling 480i to 480p or 720 produces better results than upscaling to 1080.

So just connect with HDMI and that's it?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page