HELP ! Problem with a brand new Onkyo TX-NR906 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-31-2008, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi guys

i just received my newly acquired 906 yesterday and just finished setting up today. i have these following problems that i can not correct at all :
- with my samsung bd-up5000 duo player (bd and hd-dvd), i can not get any audio at all when playing either bd or hd-dvd movie. the receiver keeps saying "NO SIGNAL". i have checked and replaced with another hdmi cable. i have plugged it into different hdmi socket in the receiver, and it still the same result. checked and rechecked the set-up configuration in my samsung, even tried to output by PCM instead of bitstream(audiophile) and it's still no sound at all. funny thing, it was working just fine yesterday for couple of hours then suddenly the sound is gone. i had resetted the 906 twice and my bd-up5000 once and didn't make any difference.
- when playing dvd, i can not get the 906 to automatically detect dolby digital or dts. i can not select it from the listening mode either as the option is not available. i can only select the Dolby PLII, etc etc.
- im running the 906 with adcom 7085 power amp setup. i noticed that when i changed inputs or entering the set-up menu or even stopping dvd, the receiver is clicking and it's audioble quite loud through all my speakers. i can also hear significant humming noise which is really annoying from all the speakers. is this normal ?
- i also noticed that the 906 gets really hot and some ppl in forum thinks that this is caused by the reon HQV processor. im using the reon to upscale my dvd to 1080p as my dvd can only output to 1080i.
- last, i used to have a denon 3808. with the denon, when you enter the set-up menu, the menu it's overlaying on top of whatever we have playing. i noticed with the onkyo, the menu is not overlaying at all. is this correct ? or have i done something wrong ?

i have going back and forth on the manual, cabling, set-up, etc for the last 6 hours and i still can't work it out what happened with it. im really really tired and frustrated now.

anyone out there can help me out please ? any pointers, suggestions, comments, hints, etc etc ???

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.......

really really appreciate any help...

thanks.. and i hope everyone have a better new year than me..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-31-2008, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
On a 905, there's an HDMI option called HDMI Audio that's used to direct audio to your TV speakers. I'm sure the 906 has the same thing or something similar. Make sure it's off.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-31-2008, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

thanks n happy new year kplex

yes, i have tried that. this morning it seems to be working fine when i tested. audio n video signal are there. but in very short time, it got quite hot and i lost my video signal and the audio signal suddenly degraded from dts-ma to normal dts according to 906.

not sure why my 906 gets hot very quickly. i placed it on glass rack, with about 50-60mm space on top of it. behind the rack, is the window (which always open). could it be possible because it needs more room than 50-60mm gap on top of the unit ?
and yes, i have configured the hdmi output on 'through' so the reon will not be used as some reckon when the reon is being used, the unit will get hot a lot quicker.

it seems that as soon as my 906 gets hot, it's start doing/losing signals, either video or audio, has not been both so far which is good *fingers crossed*

any other ideas guys ?
post #4 of 15 Old 12-31-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GReddy View Post

thanks n happy new year kplex

yes, i have tried that. this morning it seems to be working fine when i tested. audio n video signal are there. but in very short time, it got quite hot and i lost my video signal and the audio signal suddenly degraded from dts-ma to normal dts according to 906.

not sure why my 906 gets hot very quickly. i placed it on glass rack, with about 50-60mm space on top of it. behind the rack, is the window (which always open). could it be possible because it needs more room than 50-60mm gap on top of the unit ?
and yes, i have configured the hdmi output on 'through' so the reon will not be used as some reckon when the reon is being used, the unit will get hot a lot quicker.

it seems that as soon as my 906 gets hot, it's start doing/losing signals, either video or audio, has not been both so far which is good *fingers crossed*

any other ideas guys ?

50mm is less than 2 inches of clearance, Onkyo recommends 8 inches minimum. If you have an active cooling fan, you can reduce the required space quite a bit.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-31-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input william

i will try to increase the gap

it'll be really tricky for me on top of my 906 is my valve amp and i don't have anywhere else to put it. bugger !!
post #6 of 15 Old 01-02-2009, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

managed to open up the gap more today, close to 8" now. just finished watching hell boy 2, it still ran very hot. at one time, i had to stop in the middle of the movie, and when it resumed playing, it suddenly only played in DTS mode instead of in DTS-MA mode. it happened yesterday with the other discs too. it seems it's only doing it when it gets really hot. somehow the heat messed up with the audio and video processing. anyone got the same problem here ? any fix ?
post #7 of 15 Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

managed to open up the gap more today, close to 8" now. just finished watching hell boy 2, it still ran very hot. at one time, i had to stop in the middle of the movie, and when it resumed playing, it suddenly only played in DTS mode instead of in DTS-MA mode. it happened yesterday with the other discs too. it seems it's only doing it when it gets really hot. somehow the heat messed up with the audio and video processing. anyone got the same problem here ? any fix ?

Qusetion. Why did you replace your Denon 3808 with the Onkyo 906?
post #8 of 15 Old 01-02-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

hi john. i was purposely replaced the denon with the onkyo bcoz the 906 has better video processor and more musical receiver than the denon. the denon was a bit sterile for my liking. also another point for the onkyo bcoz it's got dual hdmi outputs. what i didn't realise that this dual hdmi outputs can't output simultaneously and we have to manually assigned to monitor out to which output we want to use. actually, my hdmi splitter/switcher works better than this as it outputs 2 simultaneously.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-03-2009, 02:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

hi john. i was purposely replaced the denon with the onkyo bcoz the 906 has better video processor and more musical receiver than the denon. the denon was a bit sterile for my liking. also another point for the onkyo bcoz it's got dual hdmi outputs. what i didn't realise that this dual hdmi outputs can't output simultaneously and we have to manually assigned to monitor out to which output we want to use. actually, my hdmi splitter/switcher works better than this as it outputs 2 simultaneously.

I had a 905 for about a week. I didn't care for all the quirks. like the popping sounds when switching inputs. or the long delays when changing television channels. Oh, and I didn't care for the GUI not overlapping the current programming. I replaced it with the Denon 4308CI, which I loved the sound and functionality, and kept until I replaced it with my current Denon 5308CI.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-03-2009, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Tip: Since you are using an external amp, you could set the speaker impedance setting in the receiver to "4 ohms" to reduce the heat from the receiver's internal amps.

-Max
post #11 of 15 Old 01-03-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks max, i will change the setting today.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-03-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

i just found that after i ran the audessey (have tried it several times), the result is very very boomy in my room. definitely way too much bass in the room. i have cranked the sub all the way down, even put it on night mode and looks like there is still a lot of bass coming from my L+C+R speakers.

is there anyone here that know if the 906 would allow us to individually trim the frequency of each channel ? is there any way at all ? i know my old 3808 would allow me to do so, which was great !

would changing the L+C+R speakers to from FULL to satellite-spec decrease the bass hence reducing the boominess ?

helpp...
post #13 of 15 Old 01-03-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

ok, i found that under tone control there are settings where you can adjust BASS and TREBLE only (not the FULL equalizer) for each channel. have adjusted accordingly, and to my ears, it has made a difference.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

another finding. yes the onkyo can trim the EQ for each channel too.

now that i have run the onkyo for few days, i found it has settled and it's not as hot as before. it still runs hot but just not as hot, slightly less than before. this is possibly due because i now set the amp to run 4ohm on the speaker as i run external power amp for all the channels and also im not using the REON anymore as everything is set as 'THROUGH'.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-11-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
i just found that after i ran the audessey (have tried it several times), the result is very very boomy in my room. definitely way too much bass in the room. i have cranked the sub all the way down, even put it on night mode and looks like there is still a lot of bass coming from my L+C+R speakers.

is there anyone here that know if the 906 would allow us to individually trim the frequency of each channel ? is there any way at all ? i know my old 3808 would allow me to do so, which was great !

would changing the L+C+R speakers to from FULL to satellite-spec decrease the bass hence reducing the boominess ?
I attached the FAQ for running Audyssey from the Audyssey thread. Download it, love it, learn it.

You NEVER want your speakers at Full. Always go back and bump up your crossovers (only up, never down) to probably 80Hz. If you go higher, you can start to localize your sub. If you go lower, it gives less range for Audyssey to correct your sub.

Your sub might not be up to the task after Audyssey gets it calibrated correctly. Don't mess with the trim of individual channels and please, for the love of all that is holy, don't mess with the tone controls. Audyssey is going to do a better job of taming peaks and flattening your room curve than your ears ever will.

Audyssey Tips Tricks.doc 229k . file
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page