Single resource for comparing AVR specs? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 67 Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is Jan. 1, 2007 a reasonable cut-off for not adding AVRs released before that date?

Given that cut-off, can anyone provide some models that aren't already on the chart?

-SUO

AVS files: GoogleDocs
Threads: AVR | Blu-Ray Audio | Wash/Balt HDTV | Wii
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 Old 04-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOrangeman View Post

Is Jan. 1, 2007 a reasonable cut-off for not adding AVRs released before that date?

Given that cut-off, can anyone provide some models that aren't already on the chart?

-SUO

That seems like a very reasonable cutoff date to me.

Added Denon 2309,2809,3808 as those are one's I'm researching. I have much of the information for them in my head, but I want to confirm it before adding it to the chart. I will do that tonight.

I'll also look at adding some other AVR's that I've been researching, the Denon's we're just the first that I noticed were missing.

Also added a column for preout information. #channels column can be either the channels out (like 7) or a no if it doesn't have preouts. The voltage column may be difficult to get accurate information for, but should prove to be somewhat useful if we can do the research to get it (some amps would be limited by low voltage preamp output).
post #33 of 67 Old 04-09-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I am not sure why someone says HDMI 2 on the 3900 is audio only. I think I even tested it with two TVs, and you get video on both.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #34 of 67 Old 04-09-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I am not sure why someone says HDMI 2 on the 3900 is audio only. I think I even tested it with two TVs, and you get video on both.

Agreed. the 3900 supports both Audio and Video, but it mirrors the main source. In other words you can't send 1 source to HDMI 1 and a different source to HDMI 2.

Rarely do members of the same family grow up under the same roof.
post #35 of 67 Old 04-09-2009, 12:56 PM

I LOVE this thread and your Google Docs spreadsheet! Thanks!!!!

post #36 of 67 Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 PM

I edited the Yamaha RX-Z7 to show 4 HDMI inputs rather than 5. The Z11 has 5 inputs and I think a lot of reviewers copied the Z11 specs and failed to change the input count. I think that's why I keep seeing specs for the Z7 that show 5 HDMI inputs, even though all the pics of the back of the unit clearly show 4 HDMI inputs.

post #37 of 67 Old 04-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolad View Post

I edited the Yamaha RX-Z7 to show 4 HDMI inputs rather than 5. The Z11 has 5 inputs and I think a lot of reviewers copied the Z11 specs and failed to change the input count. I think that's why I keep seeing specs for the Z7 that show 5 HDMI inputs, even though all the pics of the back of the unit clearly show 4 HDMI inputs.

Thanks for helping Legolad. With some combined efforts we could have a very useful tool on our hands here.
post #38 of 67 Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 PM

lol....so much for my eagle eye....I just figured out that the specs I was seeing were not wrong. The Z7 does have 5 HDMI inputs - but one of them is on the front panel.

Sorry about that. I have fixed my "correction" in the Google Doc. ;-)

post #39 of 67 Old 04-10-2009, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'm noticing some weird things with the chart:

The main specs page has been re-sorted by model number (no longer manufacturer => model). While I'm not opposed to this, there are two gotchas:

1) that sorting was not carried out on the other worksheets, which are still sorted first by manufacturer and then by model number

2) **OUCH** The comments on the model number field are now gone. Those comments had links to the manufacturer's web page for that specific model. I know, I wish GoogleDocs let you just hyperlink the entire cell like MS Excel. Using the comments were the only way to have URLs, but keep them relatively hidden.

So, *** PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR EDITS AND SORTS!!! ***

If you really want to do some sorting and tinkering on your own (i.e., without affecting the original document), you can export the spreadsheet to a local XLS file on your PC.

----------------------

Secondly, I am considering moving the pre-outs columns to the "Other features" worksheet until it is mostly populated. I haven't yet decided to go forward with this change. I like the idea of including that info, it just needs to be more populated.

-SUO

post #40 of 67 Old 04-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm noticing some weird things with the chart:

The main specs page has been re-sorted by model number (no longer manufacturer => model). While I'm not opposed to this, there are two gotchas:

1) that sorting was not carried out on the other worksheets, which are still sorted first by manufacturer and then by model number

2) **OUCH** The comments on the model number field are now gone. Those comments had links to the manufacturer's web page for that specific model. I know, I wish GoogleDocs let you just hyperlink the entire cell like MS Excel. Using the comments were the only way to have URLs, but keep them relatively hidden.

So, *** PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR EDITS AND SORTS!!! ***

If you really want to do some sorting and tinkering on your own (i.e., without affecting the original document), you can export the spreadsheet to a local XLS file on your PC.

----------------------

Secondly, I am considering moving the pre-outs columns to the "Other features" worksheet until it is mostly populated. I haven't yet decided to go forward with this change. I like the idea of including that info, it just needs to be more populated.

-SUO

While I was working yesturday afternoon and last night to get the info on the Denon's in, I noticed someone resorted it. It mixed up all the manufacturers and models again, I'm not sure what sort they did, but it made it a mess. I tried to fix it by resorting, but a few things ended up out of place so I moved them. I appologize if I was the cause of the troubles you mention above, I was merely trying to fix a sort that someone else had done. Hopefully we can get it back to the way it was and folks will leave the sorting alone.

Perhaps we should make a habit of backing up the spreadsheet. SUO you would probably be the best to do that since you've started this thing. If you don't want to keep up with that though let me know, and I'll try and do some backups. Allowing everyone to edit/change it seems to be a double edged sword.
post #41 of 67 Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-SUO

I agree, and it's something that I'll be working on pretty heavily when my time permits. Preouts is a requirement for the AVR I'm shopping for, so it's 'must know' info for me. If you want to move it to the other page for now that's fine.

I've added the 3 Denon's I mentioned already on the front page, but I've yet to add them to the second page. Is there any trick to that so things don't get screwed up, or can I just insert a row and type it in?
post #42 of 67 Old 04-10-2009, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

GoogleDocs is kind enough to archive all of the changes made to a particular document, so I could revert back to a few days ago. However, I'll likely clubber some useful edits that have been made since then. I doubt that your attempts to correct the sorting did anything bad. Chances are that stuff was already gone. As I mentioned, hyperlinking cells would have avoided the possible loss of data. Oh well.

For those of you who are familiar with my Blu-Ray players chart, you know that I keep a read-only version of that document as well as a world-editable one. There is absolutely nothing to prevent me from doing the same with the AVR chart. I just haven't taken the time to do so. I'd rather have you all toy with the existing file until it reaches a point where we're comfortable with locking it in.

-SUO

post #43 of 67 Old 04-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

I've finished the information on the Denon 2309/2809/3808 on the main page. I've yet to add them to the second page, as I don't want to screw anything up. Can you confirm that I should just insert a row and start typing? (that's how I added them on the front page, I just wanted to make sure). I have quite a bit of spreadsheet experience, just never with googledocs or hyperlinks.
post #44 of 67 Old 04-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the warning asking folks not to sort it there on googledocs. I was trying to work on putting in some more preout data over the weekend, and someone kept screwing it up big time. I plan to find some more time this week to continue updating info on the receivers, especially the preout info. I'll try to add some other missing ones that I've been researching as well.
post #45 of 67 Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for all of the input. I was doing some mucking this weekend; trying to re-sort everything.

-SUO

post #46 of 67 Old 04-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Bump

To keep this handy thread alive!
post #47 of 67 Old 04-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Somebody resorted it again.. /sigh.

Any chance you can just remove that so it can't be done?

I wish we could get some more information into this thing, it sure would be handy. Anyone willing to contribute, even if it's just a model or two that you know about, sure would be helpful.
post #48 of 67 Old 05-01-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

The main specs chart should be back in order.

I think the only thing I can do is take away write access to everyone. I can always go back and give write access to specific GoogleDocs (i.e., you need an account with them) users. I would probably be cooler if GoogleDOcs added a database to its repository. Then, we can put each receiver into the database and just generate reports on-the-fly for individual users.

-SUO

post #49 of 67 Old 05-03-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

The main specs chart should be back in order.

I think the only thing I can do is take away write access to everyone. I can always go back and give write access to specific GoogleDocs (i.e., you need an account with them) users. I would probably be cooler if GoogleDOcs added a database to its repository. Then, we can put each receiver into the database and just generate reports on-the-fly for individual users.

-SUO

If you are looking for another method, you might want to take a look at xnappo's database for eSATA drives/enclosures used with the SA8__0HD_ DVR. Probably loose all the color coding though, I did not look to see if you were using conditional formatting.

http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/basepo...x=/xnappo/main

I wonder if it would make sense for AVS Forum to offer a Wiki page in lieu of the "first post" in the equipment threads? Or a little place for these sorts of little comparative databases as well (BR tier, BR player, AVR, 1080p24, etc.).

v/r,
C-F
post #50 of 67 Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

I've started some significant edits to the AVR chart. As such, I may miss any edits made to the chart until further notice.

Changes:

Merge separate worksheets into a single chart; some re-ordering of columns
Maintain a protected ("read-only") copy of the merged chart to avoid unintended changes
Restore links to manufacturer web pages for specific models and MSRP info (if not on manufacturer's page)

Once complete, I'll duplicate the merged worksheet for anyone to edit.

-SUO

post #51 of 67 Old 06-03-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just want to post that you are doing a great job....its tedious and down right annoying sometimes but if more people realized this was available it would be a huge resource for many.

I ran an online Baseball simulations (stratomatic), drafts and auctions (very cool format!!!) for years. I maintained a site for leagues, tournaments, etc I know how hard doing something for free can be.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #52 of 67 Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 AM

This is awesome. I have been trying to find model numbers for year old receivers that I could buy used.
post #53 of 67 Old 07-03-2009, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Added the four new Pioneer devices.

-SUO

post #54 of 67 Old 08-25-2009, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

More updates including the just-announced Onkyo units. For those owners/researchers out there, please feel free to fill in any missing data.

-SUO

post #55 of 67 Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 PM

Great job!

Can you add a column for the Signal to Noise Ratio (S/N)?
post #56 of 67 Old 08-26-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

how are you gaining access to this

thanks

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #57 of 67 Old 09-15-2009, 06:18 PM

nice job.. after reading thread after thread this helps with the research significantly

..just notice this is my first post since i joined in 2007..
post #58 of 67 Old 09-15-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

I've made a few changes to the AVR chart.

First, I think I've incorporated most of the recent announcements from CEDIA. We're not that far away from 100 AVRs!

Second, I'm doing away with the separate editable worksheets. I've slimmed things down to a single read-only sheet with all specs and notes and then I duplicate that one for everyone to edit. It is my intent to archive the editable sheet every month (i.e., make a read-only copy). I'm keeping the separated worksheets for another month, but as read-only. This should provide enough time to catch any edits that haven't been pulled into the all-in-one worksheet.

Finally, I did add the SNR column on the new editable worksheet. Feel free to start filling it in! The link is in my signature.

-SUO

post #59 of 67 Old 09-15-2009, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've made a few changes to the AVR chart.

-SUO

SUOrangeman. . .

thanks for doing this. can you tell me how to view your charts? i click on the chart link in your signature and get the google sign in page. if i sign up there, will your link take me your charts?

thanks

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #60 of 67 Old 09-15-2009, 10:38 PM

Added Denon AVR-1610 and some info on 1910, 2310,3310 and 4310
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page