Gemstone Blue Diamond Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 59 Old 06-05-2009, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just wanted to update the thread, i did get my Gemstone back a few weeks ago after the repairs and it has been working flawlessly so far. Very happy customer here

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynopr View Post

I have been wondering how the Cinenova 7 compares to the Gemstone? Anyone do a compare, or have had both? Speakers will be Magnepan.

Thanks

Hi,
I owned Maggies with the cinenova grande. I liked the Gemstone better.
post #33 of 59 Old 06-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Liked: 10
I kind of suspected that.

That's too bad. I don't think Steve was really interested in my business. I was trying to work out a payment plan with him on a "scratch and dent." My wife approved it and all, I was going ahead with it, and the communication just sorta halted. I don't think he really wanted to deal with payments even though he said it would not be a problem. He sent me a couple of really informative emails though. He really has some interesting experience, and is very knowledgable.

I think these show up about once a year on Audiogon--maybe then. I would love one of these! What has anyone seen them go for used?

Thanks

rynopr
post #34 of 59 Old 06-22-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

...I think these show up about once a year on Audiogon--maybe then. I would love one of these! What has anyone seen them go for used?

Way more frequently than "once a year"

Try audiogon search on a daily basis: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?0&1&form

Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #35 of 59 Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I kind of suspected that.

That's too bad. I don't think Steve was really interested in my business. I was trying to work out a payment plan with him on a "scratch and dent." My wife approved it and all, I was going ahead with it, and the communication just sorta halted. I don't think he really wanted to deal with payments even though he said it would not be a problem. He sent me a couple of really informative emails though. He really has some interesting experience, and is very knowledgable.

I think these show up about once a year on Audiogon--maybe then. I would love one of these! What has anyone seen them go for used?

Thanks

Oh.. that's too bad, i do know one other member from AVS who just got his unit from Steve. Don't know whether it was from a scratch and dent sale or not though. Hope you can manage to find one unit in audiogon soon

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #36 of 59 Old 06-22-2009, 10:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Cinenova Grande is no slouch and has more power than any multichannel I have owned. It ran 6 maggies with 2 centers on one amp channel at reference levels with no problems(that is a hard load to drive). It is a beast for sure. If you can find one used for around $1500-$1800(5 channel) is would be worth it. The Gemstone did not have the power of the Cinenova but it was just a bit more clear. One of my biggest gripes about amps is that when you turn them on they sound great and then when they warm up the sound changes a bit. The Gemstone and the Ada MPA-501 do not change, ever. I love this about them. I would love to hear the Gemstone again on my monster and sensitive horns where power is not as important. These horns are very neutral.
post #37 of 59 Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 PM

Way more frequently than "once a year"

I don't know. I consistently check Agon at least twice a day. I think the last time I had seen one was in the fall. I can only think of a handful of times I have seen one at all since about '04...

Boy, do I like the idea of the "sound not changing." I had not heard that before!

MK, have you owned a Theta Dreadnaught I, Sim Audio Moon Titan, or Proceed HPA 3?

rynopr
post #38 of 59 Old 06-23-2009, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Steve does tend to ignore you if you inquire about a product that is on his websight, but in reality he can't sell, I have bought many items form him over the years and have been very satisfied, but I have also tried several times to buy products from manufaturers that he has posted on his websight that he is unable to produce.
post #39 of 59 Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 AM

It's his own amplifier. One would think he would be able to produce it.

rynopr
post #40 of 59 Old 06-23-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's his own amplifier. One would think he would be able to produce it.

I think he has stopped making them.. try pm'ing mahdlokg(AVS ID) as he just bought one from Steve. I do know that he also went through lot of hassle and had to wait at least a month or more before he could get his.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #41 of 59 Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 AM

Good to know.

rynopr
post #42 of 59 Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 AM

Any experiences between Theta Dreadnaught I and Gemstone?

rynopr
post #43 of 59 Old 07-09-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Any experiences between Theta Dreadnaught I and Gemstone?

I have not tried the Gemstone but I will give you my experience with the Dreadnaught.

I have owned a lot of amps over the years from Aragon, Proceed, Parasound Halo, Krell, ADA, Bel Canto, NuForce, Earthquake, Classe, CAL MCA2500 and my favorite amps the EAD PM2000 & PM8300. There are a few other amps in there that I forget as well.

I had sold my EAD amp to supposedly upgrade and tried out a Theta Dreadnaught I to go with the Aerial 9's I had just purchased. To say I was unimpressed with the Dreadnaught would be putting it lightly. For jazz and other light musical fair the Theta was nice but for dynamic material it wasn't half the amp the EAD was. Very boring amp to listen to for movies after having a EAD. My dealer wasn't surprised I didn't like the Theta with my new Aerials as he said they need more power than the Theta was capable of delivering so he let me borrow a Earthquake Cinenova to compare which at first I scoffed at. The Theta never went back into my system and I bought the Earthquake until I could find another EAD. I won't say the Earthquake is the equal of the EAD when it comes to musicality, shear brute force dynamics and detail but it is better for movies than most amps I have tried.

I have contacted Gemstone to see about picking up one of there amps but from what I have read here who knows if I will get a response.

If you like a warmer sound and have fairly efficient speakers than the Dreadnaught may be for you. I did also try the Theta and Earthquake with the Von Schweikert speakers I still had as well and the Earthquake still came out on top and it was not close.

You will find die hard Theta lovers on this site and they do make quality components but the amps are just not for me. I also had a chance to listen to the Theta mono blocks with Revel speakers at someone elses house. I came away unimpressed as I heard the same speakers with a McIntosh amp and they had a lot more life. This is the only comparison I did not make in my own system but I have no interest in buying a pair of Theta mono blocks to compare.

From what I have heard about Gemstone amp it is a more lively sound than the Theta but that is only speculation on my part.

Good luck.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #44 of 59 Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I will explain what I mean by sound changing. When I turn my equipment on and start to watch a movie it produces a certain volume. Then after a hour, 2 hours, etc... the sound becomes louder and sometimes not as pleasing to me(I watch at reference levels). The Gemstone, Ada Mpa-501, and monarchy mono's never became loud or changed. I have never heard a theta product or sim audio.
post #45 of 59 Old 07-09-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hey MK,

Very impressive theater you have there, it must be insane at reference level!
I am imagine it must be like that old Memorex commercial, do you have seat belts on your chairs

I don't know if you are still using the ADA gear but the processors have always impressed me.

I will always remember the time I heard an all Wilson system with a pair of XS subs and you could feel the bass in your bones, I would imagine you probably get the same feeling?

Very nice indeed.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #46 of 59 Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, I am still using an Ada processor. It does shake your bones, I am wondering how the Gemstone or Monarchy audio amps would sound with the big horns. They sound very close to one another. The monarchy's are pure class a.
post #47 of 59 Old 07-09-2009, 11:00 PM

Steve told me that the EAD was warm whereas the Gemstone was not at all--very detailed.

rynopr
post #48 of 59 Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Does anybody here know how can I get in touch with Steve?
Tried Office, Cell, e-mail and nothing.
Please help, I want a Blue Diamond!!!
Dan
post #49 of 59 Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danutz75 View Post

Does anybody here know how can I get in touch with Steve?
Tried Office, Cell, e-mail and nothing.
Please help, I want a Blue Diamond!!!
Dan

I am also having no luck contacting Steve. Has anyone had any contact at all with him? Thanks.
post #50 of 59 Old 06-23-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Steve is hard to get a hold of, keep trying but remember this if something goes wrong. It may get frustrating like it was for me but in the end it gets taken care of. The Gemstone is very dynamic and neutral. My best experience with my older speakers were with a Meridian 861 paired with a Gemstone. Ada was a close second. With my new speakers I want to go balanced so once again I am looking at Gemstone. I can tell you guys there is a sleeper in the pro audio world that shocked me when I compared it to the Gemstone. Very little difference in sound which was surprising. I am now going to try a newer model of that pro amp and see how it sounds. I am again going to use a Meridian, Proceed, or Krell processor.
post #51 of 59 Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone determine Gemstone's status? I was musing about possibly getting a second amp and went to the website, only to find.... no more website
post #52 of 59 Old 07-26-2010, 01:24 AM

Back in the spring, he told me that in this economy he is not willing to put out the $ in order to produce any more. I'm not sure in the future if he will change his mind. But from what he told me, I don't think so.

MK,

Did I miss it or are you not revealing the pro audio amp?

rynopr
post #53 of 59 Old 10-14-2010, 07:10 PM

GBD just listed on agon...

A "fine" is a tax for doing wrong. A "tax" is a fine for doing well.
post #54 of 59 Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey guys, The sleeper I was talking about was the Samson S-2000. Since that is not made anymore I tried some newer Samsons and they are not Gemstones. I am using some Ashly amps right now and it sounds fantastic. I still would not mind trying another Gemstone. These Ashly's are crystal clear and very dynamic. Reminds me of the Gemstone and I am using a Meridian with it.
post #55 of 59 Old 10-17-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickS View Post

GBD just listed on agon...

Thanks for the chance to pick this up Nick

Wayne
post #56 of 59 Old 11-24-2010, 07:18 PM

I picked up a Gemstone on A'gon for a steal in October along with a pair of Strata Mini's. I am using them with a Nad M15 and just love it. My source is the Oppo 83SE through a Monarchy DAC that has 24 bit 1704 BB chip.

I am really enjoying it. I would not hesitate for a minute to recommend this amp. What a killer value.

I think the detail, sound stage and air are amazing.

rynopr
post #57 of 59 Old 01-16-2011, 08:53 AM
ody

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...&highlight=ody

Everything changes but the amp remains the same
post #58 of 59 Old 01-17-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The amp is amazing indeed, pity he stopped making them. My amp suffered a blown channel though, sent it for repairs, worked well for a year and half after that but again suffered the same problem. So im using only 5 channels on mine now(one unused and one blown) and using a stereo B&K for the rears. Wish the repair was a better done job as it cost me 500 bucks.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #59 of 59 Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The amp sounds great - I have two! - but its reliability isn't very good, unfortunately.

R
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page