Sub $500 AVR with best video processing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have done extensive reading here over the last few weeks and I have been unable to find enough info on the video features of lower-middle-range AVRs. There is tons of info on audio quality but SQ is secondary to VQ in my case.

Components:
Samsung LN52A650 (which will not accept 480p over HDMI).
Tivo HD (HDMI)
PS3 (HDMI)
Macbook Pro (HDMI video, analog audio)
Wii (component)

My reqs:
3 HDMI inputs
1080p upscaling (including from analog inputs)
single cable connectivity to TV (HDMI)
under $500
no sparks, lines, or bars in the converted video signals

Prospects so far:
Denon AVR-1709
Harman Kardon AVR-254
Sony STRDG920

Can anyone attest to the video quality of these, or any any other that I have not seen? I would include Marantz in the list but all the ones in my price range seem to only have 2 HDMI inputs. I did not include the Onkyo 606 because that is the one AVR that did have lots of info on video quality and it appears to be quite bad.

I do not mind going refurb to get a higher end model as long as its warranted if that is the way I need to go.

And now the famous AVS cliché: Any advice from the pros?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

JMO but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the scaler in your TV will do a better job than the scalers in any receiver in that price range.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking that may be the case...it does have an excellent upscaler but the problem is the Wii. I need something to convert its component 480p signal to 1080HDMI so I can have one nice neat cord.

We are about to move into a new house and the wife assures me that I will not be a happy person if its not a "neat" installation!
post #4 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 01:24 PM

I'm with samsurd. I would be very surprised if your TV didn't accept 480p over HDMI. Perhaps the issue is slightly confused that someone is having problems with their cable box connecting via HDMI since those cable boxes are notorious for not working correctly with HDMI. I have a Samsung LN46A550 and have run HDMI for standard/HD cable, DVD & blu-ray and it all works. I believe my tv upscales (upconverts? whatever the word is) everything to 1080p.

It's been my experience that the video processing abilities of a AV receiver is quite over rated. As long as it can pass through both audio & video then it serves it's purpose.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I heard Onkyos had some issues converting Wii component to HDMI. My RX-V2700 did a fine job of component XBox 360 (@ 720p) to HDMI. Not sure what the RX-V663 uses for doing the conversion - if it's comparable, you might be happy with that model.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutwell View Post

I was thinking that may be the case...it does have an excellent upscaler but the problem is the Wii. I need something to convert its component 480p signal to 1080HDMI so I can have one nice neat cord.

We are about to move into a new house and the wife assures me that I will not be a happy person if its not a "neat" installation!

Ahhh this is a different story. If you want to upconvert from component cables coming in to HDMI coming out then you need an AVR with specific abilities. I suggest you check out the thread on "Best sub $400" receivers, half the time they are talking about receivers that are $450 anyways

Edit: boutwell look at post 199: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1092513&page=7. That and the last couple pages as there's been some new sales identified (some of the Denon's are now found cheaper like the 988 & 2808).
post #7 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

I have been working on that thread, racineboxer. Some great info in there.

I am thinking a higher-end refurb is the way to go right now...just trying to nail down which one to go with.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 04:27 PM

Pioneer 1018.

Here is a pretty detailed article of the upscaling, and I have seen in several threads that the upscaling is excellent.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/audi...1018full_2.htm
post #9 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

will a Marantz SR4002 convert Wii Component to HDMI?
post #10 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefjohnson View Post

Pioneer 1018.

Here is a pretty detailed article of the upscaling, and I have seen in several threads that the upscaling is excellent.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/audi...1018full_2.htm

I have the Pioneer VSX-94TXH with the Faroudja upscaling chip. It is superb. From what I read on the Pio threads the new receivers including the 1018 have the same high quality upscaling.

Try roboshopper for pricing on the 1018 I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

There is an open box VSX-01TXH on eBay for under $500 too.

Jerry the HT Nut
post #11 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Check out the Pioneer Elite vsx01 or vsx03. I believe they have the same Faroudja chip as mentioned above. I haven't tried connecting a Wii to it but do have a DVD Recorder that has component out hooked to it and HDMI from the AVR to the HDTV. The vsx01/03 also converts svideo to the HDMI.
Check out classifieds for 7.1 receivers on Videogon.com. Toward the bottom of the list is a great deal on both the vsx01 and vsx03.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page