Originally Posted by devgcl Please Help me!
I have read all the posts. Tried first page and several variations as suggested by many good postings (this thread rocks!!!.)
I used to calibrate without a tripod and got a good SQ in Memory4 (Symmetry, default time). It sounds excellent except slight overpowering on left.
I bought a tripod and the best calibrated one is saved in Memory 5 (symmetry, 30-50 ms). This gives some more detailed sound (esp on higher freq). However, I find the overall music less 'opened', voice slightly muffled than Memory 4. Memory 5 (tripod one) is tighter, voice tighter and overall too 'firm'
. Music sounds better in Memory 4 (non-tripod measured) sometimes. Still there is something is better in Memory 5 (tripod measured).Questions
1. What can I tweak in Memory 5 to take the more 'open' soundstage of Memory 4?
2. Below are my readings... is there anything else I can change based on my results?
BTW, my room has carpets. Pio is SC-35 or LX73. I have Primus speakers (C25 centre, C360 main, C250 others, sub). Sub XOver is max, level dialled halfway. I like PLIIX for music and PLIIX+THX for movies (THX Select 2 rarely appears - don't know why??
Sorry I can't help you much on your question, just wanted to respond to show that we're not purposely ignoring your question. Here are some reasons why you may have difficulty getting an answer (please don't take any of this as criticism, just stating my opinion):
- You're asking something that is very subjective and that is not correlating directly to a setting (What are the settings creating an "open" soundstage?). To properly answer you, someone would need to be able to figure out from MCACC settings and your room description what to change so that *you* would feel a more open soundstage in *your* room. I know I'm not familiar enough with MCACC and its settings to be able to help you like that.
- Even though MCACC is part of new receivers, this thread has been active for over three years, so it is an "old" thread that may not have as many "experts" following it as more recent threads (Is there an SC-35/37 thread?).
- You posted a first good message, with lots of info, and show you have done a lot of work yourself (great!), but then you reposted requesting help again less than five hours after your original question. This is a bit impatient for these threads, considering what you asked.
For your question about Select 2, here's a manual quote:
• THX Ultra2/Select2 Cinema
THX Ultra2/Select2 Cinema mode plays 5.1 movies using all 8 speakers giving you the best possible movie watching experience. In this mode, ASA processing blends the side surround speakers and back surround speakers providing the optimal mix of ambient and directional surround sounds. DTS-ES (Matrix and 6.1 Discrete) and Dolby Digital Surround EX encoded soundtracks will be automatically detected in Ultra2/Select2 Cinema mode if the appropriate flag has been encoded. Some Dolby Digital Surround EX soundtracks are missing the digital flag that allows automatic switching. If you know that the movie that you are watching is encoded in Surround EX, you can manually select the THX Surround EX playback mode, otherwise THX Ultra2/Select2 Cinema mode will apply ASA processing to provide optimum replay.
• THX Ultra2/Select2 Music
For the playback of multi-channel music the THX Ultra2/Select2 Music mode should be selected. In this mode THX ASA processing is applied to the surround channels of all 5.1 encoded music sources such as DTS, Dolby Digital and DVD-Audio to provide a wide stable rear soundstage.
• THX Ultra2/Select2 Games
For the playback of stereo and multi-channel game audio the THX Ultra2/Select2 Games mode should be selected. In this mode THX ASA processing is applied to the surround channels of all 5.1 and 2.0 encoded game sources such as analog, PCM, DTS and Dolby Digital. This accurately places all game audio surround information, providing a full 360 degree playback environment. THX Ultra2/Select2 Games mode is unique as it gives you a smooth transition of audio in all points of the surround field.
Looks like select2 would be available only on 5.1 sources, not 7.1 or 2.0, with the exception of "select2 Games" which should be available on 2.0 sources as well.
Hope this helps a little.