12Likes

post #3151 of 5560 Old 03-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpaccio View Post

How do you turn off Advanced Surround effects?

I want to turn these off before I run MCACC.

Anybody know how to do this? I'd like to rerun MCACC this evening before we watch a movie, but I need to know this before I rerun it. Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 5560 Old 03-03-2012, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdune View Post

I concur. I found the Full Auto MCACC dB for each channel was too low for our taste. I ended up using a Sound Pressure Level meter and the receiver's own test tones to generate loud enough dB, and then did the Distance Calibration. Finally did the MCACC setup with those Channel Levels, and Distance locked.

Happy. Very Happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksubrama View Post

DD,
Trying to understand: Did MCACC set your levels lower than 75 db, or did you just prefer hotter levels and hence the need for SPL calibration?

Reason I ask is because I just used an SPL to measure channel levels for an MCACC calibration run from yesterday, and each measured dead on at 75 db (except for Subwoofer which was at 80 db with 0.0 level adj after MCACC).

Thanks,
KS

For some reason, the Full Auto MCACC set the Channel Levels to something like 70dB or slightly below when the dial was set to -36dB. I watch most things at the -36dB setting on the dial, and that 70dB adjustment was just too soft. So I readjusted it closer to 75dB per channel, and then reran the MCACC using those new Channel Levels.

I suppose I could watch things at -30dB on the dial, but the -36dB setting is what I used on our previous Pioneer ELITE VSX-37TX, so if I changed that...I would have to explain the change to the wife, and she might notice that the receiver is new. Shhh...

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

NEW Sony KDL-40XBR4 Optimized Settings:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5245
post #3153 of 5560 Old 03-03-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:

For some reason, the Full Auto MCACC set the Channel Levels to something like 70dB or slightly below when the dial was set to -36dB. I watch most things at the -36dB setting on the dial, and that 70dB adjustment was just too soft. So I readjusted it closer to 75dB per channel, and then reran the MCACC using those new Channel Levels.

I suppose I could watch things at -30dB on the dial, but the -36dB setting is what I used on our previous Pioneer ELITE VSX-37TX, so if I changed that...I would have to explain the change to the wife, and she might notice that the receiver is new. Shhh...

. . . and you are calibrating MCACC at -10 and not at "0" and that is why you listen at -36 db?
post #3154 of 5560 Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

How do you turn off Advanced Surround effects?

I want to turn these off before I run MCACC.

that has no effect on mcacc...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3155 of 5560 Old 03-03-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

that has no effect on mcacc...

Thank you so much for your reply.

So, after I run MCACC, how do I turn off Advanced Surround effects? Sometimes I notice "Action" on the receiver's display, but I haven't chosen it. I have only chosen "Auto" listening mode. But, for some reason, "Action" will show up from time to time depending on the disc that's in.
post #3156 of 5560 Old 03-03-2012, 04:16 PM

Guys, I'm reading through the manual trying to find out how to run a mcacc calibration that will consist of only 2.0 (L&R) without utilizing my other speakers. I desire this for 2 channel music listening with my towers set to large. Is it possible to do this?
post #3157 of 5560 Old 03-03-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

. . . and you are calibrating MCACC at -10 and not at "0" and that is why you listen at -36 db?

Are you referring to the volume?

If so, should the volume be set to 0 before running MCACC?
post #3158 of 5560 Old 03-03-2012, 05:01 PM

MCACC sets volume to 0 automatically once you press start
post #3159 of 5560 Old 03-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Nah. When the Full Auto MCACC was done, I ran the test tones, and got reference lower than 70dB. So I ran the test tones, manually adjusted the Channel Levels, and stopped when it registered 75dB or so.

You cannot "dial up the volume" when running the test tones...you can adjust the Channel Levels though.

Kindest Regards,

DarkDune

NEW Sony KDL-40XBR4 Optimized Settings:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5245
post #3160 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:

Sometimes I notice "Action" on the receiver's display, but I haven't chosen it. I have only chosen "Auto" listening mode. But, for some reason, "Action" will show up from time to time depending on the disc that's in.

That is not normal behavior. And the encoding on the disc has nothing to do with these faux Pioneer surround modes which add varying amounts of reverb to decoded channels. Discs can't select one of these modes, since 1) they are unique to pioneer & 2) they aren't true surround decode formats.

Could be an accidental touch on an overly sensitive remote or some small static discharge somewhere on the chassis that is causing it to change. It won't do it on its own, and I've owned 4 Pio Elite receivers. None of them did what you describe.

Just select Auto Surround or Standard Surround and pick Dolby PLIIx or z for matrixed surround. In the receivers I've owned, "advanced surround" (reverb effects) are always a separate choice on the remotes and front panel so can't be selected other than physically touching the button.

I think you may have a sticking button on your remote or front panel, possibly something is pressing on the remote when you sit it down on the couch, you have kids with sticky fingers or

your house is haunted by a poltergeist

It's unlikely but possible you have a glitch in your receiver. If wiping your remote clean of fingerprints, spilled coke, and pressing all the buttons to make sure they make good contact doesn't fix it, then a call to Pioneer to ask them about the behavior is in order.

Steve
post #3161 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Thank you so much for your reply.

So, after I run MCACC, how do I turn off Advanced Surround effects? Sometimes I notice "Action" on the receiver's display, but I haven't chosen it. I have only chosen "Auto" listening mode. But, for some reason, "Action" will show up from time to time depending on the disc that's in.

What is your AVR model?

On SC-## models, "Direct" will give you what you want, which is to send each input channel set to its corresponding speaker, with MCACC, EQ, Bass management active.

You do not want "Pure direct" which disables MCACC completely.

Edit: Did not notice Steve's answer above. I also agree with his statements.

Dan.
post #3162 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
and I yours

I understood his issue was it was randomly switching to the Action mode. But yeah, Direct should solve all issues, getting only what's on the disc. It doesn't answer why it's switching randomly...

sticking remote button or big fingers gets my vote

Steve
post #3163 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

and i agree with both of you...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #3164 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

Ahhhhhh!!! That explains why something hasn't been right the past couple weeks.... dumb, dumb, dumb

Along the same note, does selecting A.L.C. have any ill side effects? I rarely need to use it, but was curious. Thanks.
post #3165 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

That is not normal behavior. And the encoding on the disc has nothing to do with these faux Pioneer surround modes which add varying amounts of reverb to decoded channels. Discs can't select one of these modes, since 1) they are unique to pioneer & 2) they aren't true surround decode formats.

Could be an accidental touch on an overly sensitive remote or some small static discharge somewhere on the chassis that is causing it to change. It won't do it on its own, and I've owned 4 Pio Elite receivers. None of them did what you describe.

Just select Auto Surround or Standard Surround and pick Dolby PLIIx or z for matrixed surround. In the receivers I've owned, "advanced surround" (reverb effects) are always a separate choice on the remotes and front panel so can't be selected other than physically touching the button.

I think you may have a sticking button on your remote or front panel, possibly something is pressing on the remote when you sit it down on the couch, you have kids with sticky fingers or

your house is haunted by a poltergeist

It's unlikely but possible you have a glitch in your receiver. If wiping your remote clean of fingerprints, spilled coke, and pressing all the buttons to make sure they make good contact doesn't fix it, then a call to Pioneer to ask them about the behavior is in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

What is your AVR model?

On SC-## models, "Direct" will give you what you want, which is to send each input channel set to its corresponding speaker, with MCACC, EQ, Bass management active.

Edit: Did not notice Steve's answer above. I also agree with his statements.

Dan.

Quote:

^^
and I yours

I understood his issue was it was randomly switching to the Action mode. But yeah, Direct should solve all issues, getting only what's on the disc. It doesn't answer why it's switching randomly...

sticking remote button or big fingers gets my vote

Quote:

^^^

and i agree with both of you...

Thank you all very much for your input on this. I'm going to chalk it up to a simple mistake now that I think I understand how this works.

I have a VSX-1021.

Let me make sure I understand this correctly: If I have "AUTO" selected, then it turns off (or maybe a better way to put it is "doesn't engage") any Advanced Surround effects such as "ACTION" and the like?

I have read that many here like to set their listening mode to "AUTO", but you guys are suggesting I set it to "DIRECT". The way you explain it makes sense that it should be set to "DIRECT", but will that always detect what the "best" encoding (Pro Logic II, Pro Logic IIx, DTS, etc.) to apply regardless of if it's a movie or music CD? Or, should I I just set it to "DIRECT" when I'm watching movies and "AUTO" or "STEREO" when I'm listening to CDs?

Again, thank you so much for your help. Once I make sure I understand this concept, I'm going to rerun (much awaited) MCACC tonight using all the knowledge and understanding I've gained from you guys in this thread and report back with the "before" and "after" results.
post #3166 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC View Post

Ahhhhhh!!! That explains why something hasn't been right the past couple weeks.... dumb, dumb, dumb

Along the same note, does selecting A.L.C. have any ill side effects? I rarely need to use it, but was curious. Thanks.

It can dampen your highs and lows. The general recommendation is to not use it.
post #3167 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me make sure I understand this correctly: If I have "AUTO" selected, then it turns off (or maybe a better way to put it is "doesn't engage") any Advanced Surround effects such as "ACTION" and the like?

but you guys are suggesting I set it to "DIRECT

first, no problem on helping

on your #1, yes. Action, Scifi, etc are what pio calls "advanced surround modes" but in reality all they are is taking the decoded format & adding some reverb effects to make it a little echo-y. Hardly anyone uses these anymore, and I'd highly recommend not using them because they add something that if "fake" and the audio can easily end up sounding worse not better. With enough reverb, which btw you can adjust in one of the settings, you can make it sound as bad as a rock concert in an auditorium. The only one I occasionally find useful is Monofilm, which takes the mono signal, typically sent to the center speaker, adds a touch of reverb and sends it to the l/r/surrounds to give the sound some sense of space. It's so subtle you barely notice it, but, vast majority of the time, I just use good old stereo mode for mono, just to turn the center since l/r fronts are more robust sounding than the center all by its lonesome

on #2, no, at least I didn't say that . You certainly could use Direct and for some movies and especially multichannel 5.1 music, it might sound the best. However, in Direct you don't add any post-matrixing, like Prologic IIx, dts Neo, or THX. All you are going to get in Direct is what's coming from the disc. If it's 2 channel, then you get 2 ch, if it's 5.1, then you get 5.1 & no back surrounds.

Auto Surround just means it's not in Direct or Pure Direct mode, and where you can chose Prologic or Neo. THX is its own set of choices in Auto Surround. Prologic & Neo are what Pioneer lumps under Standard Surround, a subset of Auto Surround. Auto-Direct-Pure Direct.

Under Auto is Prologic, Neo, and THX. Under Direct is std. Dolby Digital & straight DTS (whatever # of channels is on the disc). Pure Direct removes nearly all MCACC, processing, tone controls, EQ, etc.

Example, watching a Blu-ray with 5.1 Dolby TrueHD and you only want the side surrounds, then Direct will do. But if you want the back channels, then select Auto or Standard, add Prologic IIx and you get back channels derived from the sides added. DTS-Master Audio is a different beast, and what you get is highly dependent on the disc, the type of decoding the player does, and the capabilities of the receiver whether it can add IIx/z or not for DTS-MA. Some cannot, including earlier Pioneer models. It wasn't until recently that the SC models could add IIx to DTS-MA tracks. One of Pioneer's quirks in implementing it.

My 1st choice for movies is Auto Surround, add the PLIIx and forget about it For 5.1 multichannel music, I personally only use Direct because I don't want to add derived back channels to the mix on the disc. Try them and use whatever suits your fancy..there are no right or wrong answers

Sounds more complicated than it really is. It's actually quite simple once you get familiar with the receiver.

Steve
post #3168 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

and yes, my guess is the Advanced Surround button on the remote is accidently getting pressed, taking it off your standard PLIIx mode. Action is what you see because it's the 1st one in the list of advanced surround choices. Trust us, the disc is not switching it on you

I hate that Pioneer chose to call these Advanced Surround because they are anything but. Separate reverberation processors saw some use right after quadraphonic died in the late 70's. Gimmicky, even more so than some of the ping-pong quad recordings, their use quickly died. Yamaha resurrected them in early models with their digital sound processing effects because they spent a lot of r&d actually modeling the acoustics in various listening venues, from concert halls to jazz clubs and rock clubs. They had some acoustic science behind their use of adding slight reverb & in moderation, it can enhance the feeling of "being there", live music.

Other companies started adding these effects to compete with Yamaha, but in my listening, none of them spent the R&D to do it right, at least Pioneer hasn't Every time I've added Pioneer's Action or Scifi modes, it sounded so echo-y that it destroyed the illusion of a seamless soundfield. Once you get past the novelty, you probably won't use them either

With the possible exceptions of Extended Stereo for a large party or music on the patio & the Headphone Surround, IMO the others just muck up the sound you paid good money to hear

Steve
post #3169 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 176
Quote:

Yamaha resurrected them in early models with their digital sound processing effects because they spent a lot of r&d actually modeling the acoustics in various listening venues, from concert halls to jazz clubs and rock clubs. They had some acoustic science behind their use of adding slight reverb & in moderation, it can enhance the feeling of "being there", live music.

Other companies started adding these effects to compete with Yamaha, but in my listening, none of them spent the R&D to do it right, at least Pioneer hasn't

I use 2.0 in the den and I find them valuable. However I tried a couple of Yamaha receivers and I couldn't find one. All of them would sound terrible under some conditions and fine under others. It was too much of a mix to use. On the Pioneer I like F.S.SURR WIDE outside of some rare issues with vocal only content (then I'll switch to THX). I found one with Onkyo I liked as well. Now in my dedicated room which I run 7.2 there is more than enough going on so I never play around with them.
post #3170 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:

My 1st choice for movies is Auto Surround, add the PLIIx and forget about it

Again, thank you for your help. Everything you said makes sense and I understand almost everything you explained. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that.

I still don't fully understand the whole decoding thing. If I choose "AUTO", I thought it would automatically detect however the audio was encoded and automatically choose the appropriate decoding. But, according to how I'm understanding what you're saying, I can't just choose "AUTO" and forget about it. I have to choose "AUTO" then push "STANDARD" on the remote? What exactly do you mean by "add the PLIIx" - how do you do this because when I push "STANDARD" it takes it off "AUTO SURROUND" on the display and switches to "STANDARD"?
post #3171 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:

first, no problem on helping

on your #1, yes. Action, Scifi, etc are what pio calls "advanced surround modes" but in reality all they are is taking the decoded format & adding some reverb effects to make it a little echo-y. Hardly anyone uses these anymore, and I'd highly recommend not using them because they add something that if "fake" and the audio can easily end up sounding worse not better. With enough reverb, which btw you can adjust in one of the settings, you can make it sound as bad as a rock concert in an auditorium. The only one I occasionally find useful is Monofilm, which takes the mono signal, typically sent to the center speaker, adds a touch of reverb and sends it to the l/r/surrounds to give the sound some sense of space. It's so subtle you barely notice it, but, vast majority of the time, I just use good old stereo mode for mono, just to turn the center since l/r fronts are more robust sounding than the center all by its lonesome

on #2, no, at least I didn't say that . You certainly could use Direct and for some movies and especially multichannel 5.1 music, it might sound the best. However, in Direct you don't add any post-matrixing, like Prologic IIx, dts Neo, or THX. All you are going to get in Direct is what's coming from the disc. If it's 2 channel, then you get 2 ch, if it's 5.1, then you get 5.1 & no back surrounds.

Auto Surround just means it's not in Direct or Pure Direct mode, and where you can chose Prologic or Neo. THX is its own set of choices in Auto Surround. Prologic & Neo are what Pioneer lumps under Standard Surround, a subset of Auto Surround. Auto-Direct-Pure Direct.

Under Auto is Prologic, Neo, and THX. Under Direct is std. Dolby Digital & straight DTS (whatever # of channels is on the disc). Pure Direct removes nearly all MCACC, processing, tone controls, EQ, etc.

Example, watching a Blu-ray with 5.1 Dolby TrueHD and you only want the side surrounds, then Direct will do. But if you want the back channels, then select Auto or Standard, add Prologic IIx and you get back channels derived from the sides added. DTS-Master Audio is a different beast, and what you get is highly dependent on the disc, the type of decoding the player does, and the capabilities of the receiver whether it can add IIx/z or not for DTS-MA. Some cannot, including earlier Pioneer models. It wasn't until recently that the SC models could add IIx to DTS-MA tracks. One of Pioneer's quirks in implementing it.

My 1st choice for movies is Auto Surround, add the PLIIx and forget about it For 5.1 multichannel music, I personally only use Direct because I don't want to add derived back channels to the mix on the disc. Try them and use whatever suits your fancy..there are no right or wrong answers

Sounds more complicated than it really is. It's actually quite simple once you get familiar with the receiver.

Great explanation! And to muck it up further...I prefer the THX-EX mode over auto and PLx for 2 channel sources
post #3172 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I use 2.0 in the den and I find them valuable.

there you are - everyone has his/her preferences
if you like them, it's your choice on using them

some like what THX does to the soundfield, some don't. I'm in the don't category but that doesn't mean someone else might not find them useful in their particular room.

Steve
post #3173 of 5560 Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I choose "AUTO", I thought it would automatically detect however the audio was encoded and automatically choose the appropriate decoding. But, according to how I'm understanding what you're saying, I can't just choose "AUTO" and forget about it. I have to choose "AUTO" then push "STANDARD" on the remote? What exactly do you mean by "add the PLIIx" - how do you do this because when I push "STANDARD" it takes it off "AUTO SURROUND" on the display and switches to "STANDARD"?

No, Auto does NOT automatically select the format off the disc. You do that in the disc menu

Please take the time to read your manual thoroughly. I've been trying to explain this as best as I can and frankly, it sounds like you are pretty new to surround sound receivers or at least how Pioneer receivers work.

The manual will explain a lot. Standard modes ARE Dolby ProLogic, etc. You choose them from your remote by pushing the Standard button until you get the one you want on the receiver's display.

I can't spoon feed this to you. I'm willing to help you with problems but I don't have the time to educate someone from scratch on very basic functionality which is where it seems you are at. Sorry.

If you read the manual and just try it, then ask some questions, maybe it'll make sense. If you are at the point where you aren't sure what the buttons & modes are, then I respectfully suggest looking at the manual again Also, I don't own your particular model, but have owned 4 other Elite models. They all work essentially the same way but if you have specific questions on your model, I'd recommend posting them in the thread for your model, rather than in this general thread on Pioneer's MCACC system.

Steve
post #3174 of 5560 Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 AM

i ran auto MCACC on my vsx-1021 (5.0 speakers) and all my channels are pulled down.

MCACC channel level M1:
L -3,5db
C -5,0db
R -5,5db
SR -3,0db
SL -3,5db

MCACC speaker distance M1:
L 3,56m
C 3,40m
R 3,63m
SR 2,20m
SL 1,73m

i don't know why should all channel be pulled down, because the master volume of all channels is decreased compared to M2 memory with all channels set to 0,0db. how can i correctly pulled up my channels? i know that the gain is not linear therefore i'm not sure how to do it right. i thought one of the channel could be set to 0,0db as a reference and another channels should be set + or - db to the reference channel.
post #3175 of 5560 Old 03-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z750R View Post

i ran auto MCACC on my vsx-1021 (5.0 speakers) and all my channels are pulled down.

MCACC channel level M1:
L -3,5db
C -5,0db
R -5,5db
SR -3,0db
SL -3,5db

MCACC speaker distance M1:
L 3,56m
C 3,40m
R 3,63m
SR 2,20m
SL 1,73m

i don't know why should all channel be pulled down, because the master volume of all channels is decreased compared to M2 memory with all channels set to 0,0db. how can i correctly pulled up my channels? i know that the gain is not linear therefore i'm not sure how to do it right. i thought one of the channel could be set to 0,0db as a reference and another channels should be set + or - db to the reference channel.

No thats not how it works. What happens is the test tones emitted during MCACC ARE the reference tones, on the correct decibel. The adjustments made are to set your speakers to reference, when master volume is at 0.
post #3176 of 5560 Old 03-05-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post

No thats not how it works. What happens is the test tones emitted during MCACC ARE the reference tones, on the correct decibel. The adjustments made are to set your speakers to reference, when master volume is at 0.

Exactly, but I don't think they are 100% accurate. When I cross checked my levels with an SLP meter, I got 71~73dB not 75dB. My centre channel was also outputting 76dB.

My LCRs are in the + numbers and my surrounds are in the negative. It doesn't matter where they end up as long as all channels produce the same SPL - IE +75dB with Master Volume at 0dB.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #3177 of 5560 Old 03-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Exactly, but I don't think they are 100% accurate. When I cross checked my levels with an SLP meter, I got 71~73dB not 75dB. My centre channel was also outputting 76dB.

My LCRs are in the + numbers and my surrounds are in the negative. It doesn't matter where they end up as long as all channels produce the same SPL - IE +75dB with Master Volume at 0dB.

Agree. I never claimed they were 100% accurate
post #3178 of 5560 Old 03-05-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

of course, depending on the spl meter/user, the manual measurement may not be accurate either...

what the "final number" is (whether it be 72/75/1000000) isn't as important as it being the "same for all speakers"...

- chris

post #3179 of 5560 Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:

^^^

of course, depending on the spl meter/user, the manual measurement may not be accurate either...

what the "final number" is (whether it be 72/75/1000000) isn't as important as it being the "same for all speakers"...

I don't know about the same spl for all speakers. Mine never are after a MCACC calibration. My room is not perfect and some of the speakers are closer to the wall then others. The left side of the room is open to other parts of the house so that side is different. The center is never "audio centered" after a calibration, and I have to go into the fine speaker distance (MCACC manual) to get the audio centered. I usually leave the rest of the speakers alone with what MCACC has set because I have found that it unbalances the audio surrounds too loud when I spl it to 75 db). All my speakers are 4 ohm and the mains dial in -12 in MCACC.
post #3180 of 5560 Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 254
A quick look at cheap (under $300) meters shows spec'd variation is +/- 2 to 3 dB. You want accuracy, spend the money for a calibrated system with a NIST certifificate. Otherwise realize it's just relative and doesn't really matter...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page