post #361 of 5582 Old 02-20-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Kidd View Post

Here's a quick question for ya(s). I just lost power to my avr. After I get power restored will I have to re-do my presets(MCACC) or will they stored in the avr?

They'll be stored... unless you had a surge that forced a reset. But that's very unlikely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5582 Old 02-20-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

No problem. Make sure you register with the shack and then you'll have access to the BFG Guide. It's a how to manual the shack put together on how to set up the 1124p and take measurements. You'll find it in the BFD Forum.

Thanks Legairre, I am registered, manuals all downloaded now.
Picked up the 1124p last night, gonna be a fun weekend
Thanks for all the guidance guys.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #363 of 5582 Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 AM

Liked: 10
I didn't get a response so I am asking this again:

... what is the purpose of the "Trim" option within the manual EQ vs. say just changing the channel level of the speakers themselves.

SnowNut
post #364 of 5582 Old 02-20-2009, 02:18 PM

Quick question, hopefully this hasn't been covered yet. When doing the auto calibration, what volume level should the subwoofer be in? My subwoofer only has a knob with no specific numbers, which I set to the middle when I calibrated, but i feel like I'm not getting a lot of base from it compared to when I had the older receiver. By the way I have the 1018.
post #365 of 5582 Old 02-20-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snownut View Post

I didn't get a response so I am asking this again:

... what is the purpose of the "Trim" option within the manual EQ vs. say just changing the channel level of the speakers themselves.

It does the same thing. It's a convenience/reference factor more than anything else.

MCACC balances the channels first, then EQ's them. The trim restores the overall channel level back to where it was before the EQ (which alters it). You can trim to compensate when you change EQ manually, although I doubt many people do as it is guesswork without reference tones.
post #366 of 5582 Old 02-20-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck0702 View Post

Quick question, hopefully this hasn't been covered yet. When doing the auto calibration, what volume level should the subwoofer be in? My subwoofer only has a knob with no specific numbers, which I set to the middle when I calibrated, but i feel like I'm not getting a lot of base from it compared to when I had the older receiver. By the way I have the 1018.

It has. Anyway, for most subs, ideally the sub gain should be around 9:00-10:00 and the AVR sub level in the 0 to -5 range. It doesn't always work out that way, so you adjust one or the other or both to bring them closer. In the ballpark is close enough. Those are just guidelines, not rules.

Most people set their subs "hot" if they do it by ear. MCACC will give them a flat response, which may sound lacking if you are used to boosted lows. (There can be more to it, but its a subject onto itself.) A lot of people manually boost the AVR sub setting by 2-3dB, which can add some heft without too much distortion.
post #367 of 5582 Old 02-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Since I added an Anti-Mode 8033 to EQ my sub now, my bass sounded much tighter, something MCACC cannot do. I came across an old post made by SVS employee Ed Mullen who suggested to try turning off standing wave on the EQ and see how the bass sounded without it. To my surprise, I liked the way it sounded better with it off! Maybe in my case because I use an EQ on the sub, standing wave was just unnecessarily attentuating some of the frequency bands a bit much. I found by disengaging the standing wave I was getting a bit more bass punch without and bloat. Let me say that I do not have a very hollow room.
Anyone else give that a try?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #368 of 5582 Old 02-21-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Since I added an Anti-Mode 8033 to EQ my sub now, my bass sounded much tighter, something MCACC cannot do. I came across an old post made by SVS employee Ed Mullen who suggested to try turning off standing wave on the EQ and see how the bass sounded without it. To my surprise, I liked the way it sounded better with it off! Maybe in my case because I use an EQ on the sub, standing wave was just unnecessarily attentuating some of the frequency bands a bit much. I found by disengaging the standing wave I was getting a bit more bass punch without and bloat. Let me say that I do not have a very hollow room.
Anyone else give that a try?

This is a good idea. I think I am going to turn it off, plot my sub response, and use the standing wave to eq the sub. I should be able to attenuate some(3) of the worst peaks right?

Anyone know why this would not work?
post #369 of 5582 Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

This is a good idea. I think I am going to turn it off, plot my sub response, and use the standing wave to eq the sub. I should be able to attenuate some(3) of the worst peaks right?

Anyone know why this would not work?

I don't think you can manually pick the frequencies to treat.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #370 of 5582 Old 02-22-2009, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

I don't think you can manually pick the frequencies to treat.

I could manually pick the frequencies to treat (03txh), but the frequency range only went down to 63 Hz, so not very useful.

I guess this could be useful if you had some large peaks in the upper bass region, but I'm pretty flat up there.

I think the BFD or Bass traps are next for me anyways.
post #371 of 5582 Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

I confirmed with an SPL meter that "standing wave" was causing a pretty significant dip in the 63hz range. I have turned it off and am letting the Anti-Mode 8033 take care of all the EQ up to my crossover of 100hz. I also changed my XO from 80hz to 100hz after I found out that I am getting a little better FR response with the higher XO.

post #372 of 5582 Old 02-22-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

Pioneer has downloadable "MCACC Software Manuals" that give more information. For the time period (time delay), there is a complete section on that subject ("Deciding the time period for Advanced EQ Setup calibration") on page 19 in both manuals I looked over (2 pages).

The manuals can be found on this page:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Default
Lexicon, probably a good idea to include that link in the first post.

Dan.

Done per your request on 1/26/09

This link in the first post will not work because it's given with the abbreviatory "..." in the link itself.

Greg Lee
post #373 of 5582 Old 02-22-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I confirmed with an SPL meter that "standing wave" was causing a pretty significant dip in the 63hz range. I have turned it off and am letting the Anti-Mode 8033 take care of all the EQ up to my crossover of 100hz. I also changed my XO from 80hz to 100hz after I found out that I am getting a little better FR response with the higher XO.

If you ran MCACC before the 8033, they could be trying to tame the same peak. The 8033 test tones don't run through the receiver so, as with any external EQ, you should set it up first before running MCACC.

Dennis H
post #374 of 5582 Old 02-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

If you ran MCACC before the 8033, they could be trying to tame the same peak. The 8033 test tones don't run through the receiver so, as with any external EQ, you should set it up first before running MCACC.

Dennis,

I ran the calibration on the 8033 first, then I ran MCACC EQ with 3 position standing wave.

post #375 of 5582 Old 02-23-2009, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon1 View Post

I posted a few pages back, but in my case, I also own a Velodyne ULD-15 subwoofer, When playing in Stereo mode, the system sounds abysmal . It could be that the crossover setting needs to be changed on the sub, but, one way or another, more work needs to be done as auto calibration is not working for me.
How many of you have listened to music in stereo mode ?
I would be interested to hear if most of you are getting great sound when listening to music.
For movies, the sound is what appears to be "good", but, without a reference point, its really difficult to tell its good or not as a movie changes sound frequently between center and side speakers.

Hi,
I have a Velo ULD15 also (though am not using it in the home theater now). You WILL have to change the crossover setting for the VELO if you use the sub out from the receiver. The VELO default has an 80hz crossoever in place. Otherwise you are using a double crossover at the same frequencey. You need to open the amplifier section and change a resistor. Change iti so the crossover is up around 200hz. Not a big deal, but not as convenient as turning a knob.
Joe H
post #376 of 5582 Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

It does the same thing. It's a convenience/reference factor more than anything else.

MCACC balances the channels first, then EQ's them. The trim restores the overall channel level back to where it was before the EQ (which alters it). You can trim to compensate when you change EQ manually, although I doubt many people do as it is guesswork without reference tones.

thx, that makes sense now.

SnowNut
post #377 of 5582 Old 02-24-2009, 09:46 AM

I just started playing around with the MCACC today. Can anyone help me with a few questions? I've never tried calibrating audio gear before.

1.) If I set the Receiver to -12 before the auto calibration, would that make -12 my reference level? The only reason I'm asking is because after calibration with the MCACC I have to turn the VSX-01TXH up to 0 DB's to get good sound levels.

2.) Is their a consensus on the MCACC calibrating the Subwoofer hot? Should I change my sub settings or leave them alone after MCACC is finished?

Thanks in advance!
post #378 of 5582 Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangs View Post

I just started playing around with the MCACC today. Can anyone help me with a few questions? I've never tried calibrating audio gear before.

1.) If I set the Receiver to -12 before the auto calibration, would that make -12 my reference level? The only reason I'm asking is because after calibration with the MCACC I have to turn the VSX-01TXH up to 0 DB's to get good sound levels.

2.) Is their a consensus on the MCACC calibrating the Subwoofer hot? Should I change my sub settings or leave them alone after MCACC is finished?

Thanks in advance!

Reference level? Hmmm... I'm not sure if it asks you to set your volume at a reference level. It does say "raise volume to 0.0dB", then the system takes over almost right away even before you get a chance to do it and it raises it to 0.0dB automatically.
post #379 of 5582 Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 PM

MCACC automatically sets reference level at 0.0db based on the -30dB inbuilt signal tone of 75dB.

If you have to turn the VSX-01TXH up to 0.0dB to get good sound levels then something isnt right. After running MCACC, 0.0dB should equate to the reference level of 105dB.
post #380 of 5582 Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 AM

I just ran the setup again using the information posted on the first page of this thread. MCACC pretty much kept the same settings.

I tried watching scenes from Transformers and Batman Begins and found myself happy in the 0.0 to - 5.0 range on the volume knob. I can't make everything out listening at -15. I did have to boost the sub 2-3 dbs to be happy with it.

I guess I'll have to get an SPL meter to see what's what. It does sound really good though.
post #381 of 5582 Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't make everything out listening at -15.

-15db on those movies should be LOUD!

post #382 of 5582 Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I just ran the setup again using the information posted on the first page of this thread. MCACC pretty much kept the same settings.

I tried watching scenes from Transformers and Batman Begins and found myself happy in the 0.0 to - 5.0 range on the volume knob. I can't make everything out listening at -15. I did have to boost the sub 2-3 dbs to be happy with it.

I guess I'll have to get an SPL meter to see what's what. It does sound really good though.

How big is this room? Gymnasium?

bob
post #383 of 5582 Old 02-25-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

How big is this room? Gymnasium?

bob

He has to have a huge room in order to listen at -15. My room is 18 X 28 X 14 (over 6000 cu ft) and I listen to BluRay at -14 and SD at -10. My mains have 350 wpc and the center is 200 wpc.

Bill
post #384 of 5582 Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:

This may also be due to the kind of speakers you're using and the size of your room. I have satellites with 3 1/2" Drivers and an 8" front-firing w/ rear port Sub all under a 12x19x8 with connecting rooms... foyer/formal/living, hallway, kitchen, and dining. See partial photo...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...T/IMG_1745.jpg

I have to play somewhere around -45dB to about -15dB depending on the noise environment (heater, dishwasher, kids running around the house, dogs barking). But -15dB on those satellites is pretty loud. I just needed to upgrade the fronts and center to make it sound fuller at lower volumes, then the Sub is next years target.
post #385 of 5582 Old 02-25-2009, 10:22 AM

Well something has to be wrong then, and I have no idea what it could be!?! I'm listening at exactly 0 on the volume indicator or the receiver after MCACC.

My room is only 10x14x7. I'm running Klipsch Reference speakers as well (RVX Series) I've double checked just about all of my speaker connections and whatnot.

Any ideas?
post #386 of 5582 Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 AM

BTW, if I turn MCACC off then it does gets a lot louder at the '0' volume setting. I have the VSX-01TXH.
post #387 of 5582 Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, if I turn MCACC off then it does gets a lot louder at the '0' volume setting. I have the VSX-01TXH.

What mode do you listen in?

Bill
post #388 of 5582 Old 02-25-2009, 11:32 AM

I've tried pretty much all of them. Mainly Stream Direct - Direct mode with the mccac settings applied.
post #389 of 5582 Old 02-25-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've tried pretty much all of them. Mainly Stream Direct - Direct mode with the mccac settings applied.

So, which one do you listen to at -0? Music at? Movies at ? Is it analog, digital, or Multi Channel? What I'm getting at is that all of these different modes will not all have the same listening setting.

Bill
post #390 of 5582 Old 02-25-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Any ideas?

Perhaps you're deaf.

Greg Lee