post #5581 of 5609 Old 10-18-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl View Post
I'm running the pioneer pre-out to a Pre-amp with fixed vol at 0db (851E) that goes to power amp.
What i mean is lower the fixed input to -12db.
I'll run later the mcacc setup again with a tripod.
Why stick another preamp between the AVR and the amplifer? In any event, yes, I would turn the preamp's gain down to get the AVR's trims within about +/-3 dB of 0 dB, or at least within +/-6 dB. you can adjust the gain then run just the level-setting part of MCACC in manual mode to dial it in. Reducing by 10 dB or so is probably a good starting point. You may need more than that since the preamp adds some gain.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5609 Old 10-18-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I using the combo 851 e + w for stereo
post #5583 of 5609 Old 10-23-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesomebody View Post
I recently bought a Pioneer SC2023 which has advanced MCACC. I'm probably a bit unusual in that I only want to drive 2 front (full range 35Hz-27khz) speakers. I don't have a sub or any other surround speakers. I'm coming from a hifi background where I had a pre/power amp and the same speakers.

After running Auto MCACC and then manually setting the speakers sizes etc I'm still left with a distinct lack of bass. It's as if I'm missing a slice of low frequencies. I've set the sw to off and the front speakers to large, but I am still 100% sure that I'm missing frequencies. For reference, I am listening to Richie Hawtin - EX (full album) as a test of the lower frequencies (I can't post links because I'm a newbie). It sounds fantastic (listen around 31min) on my old Nad amps with the same speakers (and on my grado/sony headphones).

I'm convinced I must be doing something wrong because there must be a way to get the full frequency response sent to the 2 front speakers. I've tried bi-amping too but that made no difference. I've run MCACC multiple times and whilst the mid/highs sound fantastic after doing so, the bass just isn't there. I've read through a lot (but not all!) of this thread and it seems like other people have suffered from the same issue but then have resolved it. However, they are using a sub.

My question: is it possible to use this amp with a 2.0 setup and get the full frequency range sent to the 2 front speakers? If that is actually happening and my speakers are getting the full range of frequencies then how would I go about "boosting" the bass so that I can actually hear/feel it? Thanks in advance.
I have an old Pioneer receiver with the basic MCACC program and encountered the same situation with my 2 channnel system.

Everything sounded great - except there was absolutely no bass.

I did a data check and found that MCACC had rolled off my lower output by 6. I don't know if this is 6 db in MCACC speak, or six on some scale of 0-?.

I ended up copying the MCACC settings using MCACC to one of the custom settings and then merely boosting the 40 hz setting back to zero.

The bass was back along with the eq'ed sound I liked.

Not sure what was going on with MCACC's calibration. It seemed to get everything right except the bottom end of the audio range.

The speakers were correctly set to large by MCACC.
post #5584 of 5609 Old 10-24-2014, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post
I have an old Pioneer receiver with the basic MCACC program and encountered the same situation with my 2 channnel system.

Everything sounded great - except there was absolutely no bass.

I did a data check and found that MCACC had rolled off my lower output by 6. I don't know if this is 6 db in MCACC speak, or six on some scale of 0-?.

I ended up copying the MCACC settings using MCACC to one of the custom settings and then merely boosting the 40 hz setting back to zero.

The bass was back along with the eq'ed sound I liked.

Not sure what was going on with MCACC's calibration. It seemed to get everything right except the bottom end of the audio range.

The speakers were correctly set to large by MCACC.
Thanks for the response. I guess I need to find the menu item that allows me to boost the 40Hz setting (which I haven't yet managed to do). I'm guessing there is some sort of EQ where I can change the levels of a number of frequencies?
post #5585 of 5609 Old 10-24-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

On my receiver there is a Manual MCACC menu option. Under this there is a data check function that allows you to see what settings MCACC has established for each of your speakers. This is where I found the bass (40hz) setting lowered.

There is also a MCACC copy setting on the same Manual MCACC menu. This allows you to copy the settings MCACC established to a Custom file. I copied the "All Channel Adj" MCACC settings to the Custom 1 file.

I was then able to go into the Custom Adj 1 setting on the Manual MCAAC menu and bump the bass setting back up to zero.

Exiting the menu saves the changes.

I then just used the button on the remote to select the custom 1 eq setting and leave it there.

Hope this is of some help, knowing that although the MCACC system is probably common between our receivers, we likely have different versions of both hardware and the calibration system.
post #5586 of 5609 Old 10-25-2014, 01:49 PM

I've found the EQ in the advanced MCACC but the lowest frequency on the EQ is 63Hz. I can't find a way to boost any lower than that and from what I'm reading it's a limitation of MCACC. It sounds like your version is better in that it allows you to adjust lower frequencies. Thanks for your help.
post #5587 of 5609 Old 10-25-2014, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Doesn't that have to with whether or not your speakers are set to small or large?
I could be wrong though.
post #5588 of 5609 Old 10-25-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

MCACC's lowest EQ band is 63 Hz, at least on mine. You do not get that one if your speakers are "small".

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5589 of 5609 Old 10-26-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I just double checked and on my version of MCACC the adjustment bands are 40hz 125hz 250 hz 4khz and 13khz.. There is also a trin control for the channel being adjusted.

My receiver is a Pioneer 1015tx
post #5590 of 5609 Old 10-27-2014, 02:45 AM

I didn't take this picture but this is the same as what I'm seeing:

audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/pioneer-sc-07/sc07acouticcal.jpg/image_view_fullscreen
post #5591 of 5609 Old 10-27-2014, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesomebody View Post
I didn't take this picture but this is the same as what I'm seeing:

audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/pioneer-sc-07/sc07acouticcal.jpg/image_view_fullscreen
Same frequencies I have. I have an Elite SC-65. I'm starting my research into bass equalizers to see if that can help. Or I may try another AVR or pre/pro with another calibration software.

There are never failures, only challenges.
post #5592 of 5609 Old 10-28-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Trying to figure out when to use symmetry vs all channel adj. Can anyone give me some insight please?
post #5593 of 5609 Old 10-28-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Descriptions are in your manual, though perhaps a little terse.

Symmetry tries to make them all the same (match all speakers, might be in pairs, long time since I looked it up). As implied, it seems to work best when speakers, position, room (walls etc.) and so forth are as close to having the same environment as possible.

All channel adjusts each speaker independently for the flattest('ish) response. Since my room is not symmetric that is what I use. IIRC that seems to be the choice of the majority of MCACC users based upon a foggy memory of sorting through posts in this and other Pioneer threads.

MCACC stores both when you do full auto cal so you can try each and see which you prefer.

post #5594 of 5609 Old 10-28-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Descriptions are in your manual, though perhaps a little terse.

Symmetry tries to make them all the same (match all speakers, might be in pairs, long time since I looked it up). As implied, it seems to work best when speakers, position, room (walls etc.) and so forth are as close to having the same environment as possible.

All channel adjusts each speaker independently for the flattest('ish) response. Since my room is not symmetric that is what I use. IIRC that seems to be the choice of the majority of MCACC users based upon a foggy memory of sorting through posts in this and other Pioneer threads.

MCACC stores both when you do full auto cal so you can try each and see which you prefer.

Thank you for the response. My room is around 20x20 or so, and then is open on the left to the kitchen, which is another 20x20. I do have a fireplace on one wall, and a large set of windows on my back wall. Would all channel adjust be the way to go?

Thanks for your help!
post #5595 of 5609 Old 10-28-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman918 View Post
Thank you for the response. My room is around 20x20 or so, and then is open on the left to the kitchen, which is another 20x20. I do have a fireplace on one wall, and a large set of windows on my back wall. Would all channel adjust be the way to go?

Thanks for your help!
I say "yes". However it all comes down to your listening preference. Try calibrating both. After the full auto calibration you still may want to tweak the EQ Pro settings.

post #5596 of 5609 Old 10-30-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going nuts. Two days ago i've received my VSX-S510-K. I hooked up a pair of speakers to the front terminal connectors and fired up the receiver. I started the MCACC process as the manual told me to do, but there never was any sound/test-tones coming from the speakers.

The weird thing is that when I select the FM-tuner as a source, music comes out of the two speakers without problems so I know for a fact they work.

Any other source, such as internet radio, AirPlay or Spotify seems to be playing (i can see the progress bar advance on the TV screen) but I'm not hearing anything. I suspect this might have something to do with the initial MCACC process not giving any sound. I've both done a network reset, total system reset and reloaded the latest firmware.

These are the settings I've performed on the receiver:

2. Manual SP Setup: a. Speaker Setting
Front: Large
Center: No
Surr: No
Surr. Back: No
Subwoofer: No
8. Speaker System: SP System: Normal

Listening mode: PURE DIRECT

HDMI Control & ARC: OFF

What am I doing wrong here?
post #5597 of 5609 Old 11-06-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just received my LX-68 I got at 40% off from SRP. My concern is how will I set the Gain and the 3-band EQ of my SVS subwoofer when using the MCACC of my AVR?
post #5598 of 5609 Old 11-12-2014, 06:50 AM

Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong thread, just not sure how to troubleshoot this issue. I have a Pioneer 1021-K receiver and I recently purchased a Klipsch subwoofer to complete my 5.1 setup. When I run the Auto MCACC setup, everything works great sound comes from all 5 speakers and the sub. All are recognized and calibrated. When I try to play a source though, nothing comes from the sub. I searched AVS and found that some people had issues if the speaker setup for your front speakers was set to large. Auto MCACC did set my receiver to this, so I switched it to small. Still nothing.

The sub is hooked up via a digital coaxial cable and based on it receiving the test signals during Auto MCACC I have to assume the cable and sub are both working properly. I'm thinking it's a setting on the receiver or in the MCACC setup. Any ideas?
post #5599 of 5609 Old 11-12-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Have you tried playing any movies through it yet?
post #5600 of 5609 Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
Have you tried playing any movies through it yet?
I watched portions of movies on several channels, and the receiver indicated that the output was Dolby Digital and had a light indicating LFE was active. Not sure the difference between a regular sub and LFE, but my sub is hooked up via the LFE port on the sub. I also tried netflix (first episode of Walking Dead) from my PS3 and got nothing from the sub.
post #5601 of 5609 Old 11-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 70
How does one hook up a digital coax cable to the LFEoutput on the receiver?

post #5602 of 5609 Old 11-12-2014, 04:37 PM

I might be using the incorrect terms. On the receiver there is a plug labeled subwoofer. I put a digital coaxial cable in there and put the other side into the subwoofer port labeled "LFE". I also tried the line in port on the sub but that didn't work either.
post #5603 of 5609 Old 11-12-2014, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi

I have the following gear:

Pioneer SC-LX87 220W 9.2 AVR

Wharfedale Jade 7 Fronts
Wharfedale Jade 5 Rears
Wharfedale Jade 2c Centre

No Subwoofer

Can I run MCACC without having a subwoofer?

If I add a subwoofer should I set my speakers to small or large?

The speakers comfortably go down to about 40hz then start to roll off,
What cross over would you recommend, or should I just have the speakers running the full spectrum and let the subwoofer only do the LFE channel? (Is this possible?)

See below image for speaker specifications:

Thanks!
Kiwi

GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G 2GB RAM | AMD X2 4200+ CPU | HD4670 | HVR 2200 | XP Pro SP3 | MediaPortal 1.1+SVN | SAF CODEC PACK (Haali/PDVD9/MPC-HC)
post #5604 of 5609 Old 11-13-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 340
^^
yes, you can have no sub & run MCACC. It will detect that you have no sub and set your speakers to Large. in this case, Large means the front speakers gets the full spectrum.

keep in mind that Pioneer implements a global, universal crossover, and cannot be independently adjusted for individual speakers, so one size has to fit all. in this case, since your rears & center probably can't go as low as your fronts, you would set them to the lowest -3 dB freq they are rated for or use the THX standard: 80 Hz. if they are small satellites, you'll probably have a crossover of 100-120. but if they are bookshelf types and capable of 60-80 Hz, then use the THX standard - 80 Hz. unless your rears & center are also capable of the same bass response as your fronts (40 Hz), you would NOT set the global crossover to a number lower than 80 Hz because then you'd lose freq's the rears & center can't reproduce.

when you add a sub, re-run MCACC, & it will detect it. 40 Hz may be acceptable for music but does not include the full LFE track. you could leave the fronts as Large in which case the sub & the fronts will get re-directed bass from center & rears. while you could leave the fronts set to Large, you would be better off setting them to Small & let a good sub handle all the bass chores for all channels.

Steve
post #5605 of 5609 Old 11-13-2014, 02:18 PM

Thanks. Sorry for Noob questions, this is my first forage into proper home theatre. I'm going to be subwooferless for quite sometime as I'm all over budget and I think I might build one to save money.

The front and the rears (they are both towers) go down to 38/40 and the Centre only goes to 55 @ -3db. As per stats above and all the reviews I've seen.

So without a sub can I set the fronts and rears to large and the centre to small and the crossover to 60, Will this redirect bass below 60 out of the center channel and into the fronts?

Later on when I have a sub (I'm thinking of building a sonotube) would a 60hz crossover be about right? Or will maccac choose a crossover for me automatically? When I add a sub should I set everything to small even though I have large 8inch driver fronts?

Last edited by kiwijunglist; 11-13-2014 at 02:25 PM.
post #5606 of 5609 Old 11-13-2014, 02:19 PM

Also, without a sub will the receiver down mix 5.1 to 5.0 by playing the lfe track on the fronts or other speakers?
post #5607 of 5609 Old 11-17-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijunglist View Post
Also, without a sub will the receiver down mix 5.1 to 5.0 by playing the lfe track on the fronts or other speakers?
I guess you can call it that. If your L/R channels are set to large, it will send all audio below your crossover setting to those channels.

post #5608 of 5609 Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Help with MCACC Please

Chaps

Need a bit of help, I recently made a small layout change which involved shifting my speakers, including my sub about 6 foot across the room. I decided it would be a good idea to run MCACC and do a fresh cal based on the new speaker position.

Anyway, long story short, everytime I try and run MCACC, whether in full auto, auto or manual, it gets to the end of the cycle with the blue progress bar fully across to the end, and states "analysing", but that's it, it gets stuck there and never finishes the cal . Immensely frustrating, I have done some extensive searches but cannot find any reference to this problem anywhere. I have run MCACC several times previously and never had this issue. I have checked the speaker wiring, and its all connected. My receiver is the LX55, I believe it may be tagged as an "Elite" Stateside.

If anyone can shed any light on this, I would be very grateful.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Pioneer LX55 / Dual CS506 / Sky + HD / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Isotek Mira / QED Cables
post #5609 of 5609 Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Clear the memories? Try a factory reset? I have not seen that problem, guessing...

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page