post #5581 of 5585 Old 10-18-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl View Post
I'm running the pioneer pre-out to a Pre-amp with fixed vol at 0db (851E) that goes to power amp.
What i mean is lower the fixed input to -12db.
I'll run later the mcacc setup again with a tripod.
Why stick another preamp between the AVR and the amplifer? In any event, yes, I would turn the preamp's gain down to get the AVR's trims within about +/-3 dB of 0 dB, or at least within +/-6 dB. you can adjust the gain then run just the level-setting part of MCACC in manual mode to dial it in. Reducing by 10 dB or so is probably a good starting point. You may need more than that since the preamp adds some gain.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5585 Old 10-18-2014, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I using the combo 851 e + w for stereo
post #5583 of 5585 Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesomebody View Post
I recently bought a Pioneer SC2023 which has advanced MCACC. I'm probably a bit unusual in that I only want to drive 2 front (full range 35Hz-27khz) speakers. I don't have a sub or any other surround speakers. I'm coming from a hifi background where I had a pre/power amp and the same speakers.

After running Auto MCACC and then manually setting the speakers sizes etc I'm still left with a distinct lack of bass. It's as if I'm missing a slice of low frequencies. I've set the sw to off and the front speakers to large, but I am still 100% sure that I'm missing frequencies. For reference, I am listening to Richie Hawtin - EX (full album) as a test of the lower frequencies (I can't post links because I'm a newbie). It sounds fantastic (listen around 31min) on my old Nad amps with the same speakers (and on my grado/sony headphones).

I'm convinced I must be doing something wrong because there must be a way to get the full frequency response sent to the 2 front speakers. I've tried bi-amping too but that made no difference. I've run MCACC multiple times and whilst the mid/highs sound fantastic after doing so, the bass just isn't there. I've read through a lot (but not all!) of this thread and it seems like other people have suffered from the same issue but then have resolved it. However, they are using a sub.

My question: is it possible to use this amp with a 2.0 setup and get the full frequency range sent to the 2 front speakers? If that is actually happening and my speakers are getting the full range of frequencies then how would I go about "boosting" the bass so that I can actually hear/feel it? Thanks in advance.
I have an old Pioneer receiver with the basic MCACC program and encountered the same situation with my 2 channnel system.

Everything sounded great - except there was absolutely no bass.

I did a data check and found that MCACC had rolled off my lower output by 6. I don't know if this is 6 db in MCACC speak, or six on some scale of 0-?.

I ended up copying the MCACC settings using MCACC to one of the custom settings and then merely boosting the 40 hz setting back to zero.

The bass was back along with the eq'ed sound I liked.

Not sure what was going on with MCACC's calibration. It seemed to get everything right except the bottom end of the audio range.

The speakers were correctly set to large by MCACC.
post #5584 of 5585 Old Today, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post
I have an old Pioneer receiver with the basic MCACC program and encountered the same situation with my 2 channnel system.

Everything sounded great - except there was absolutely no bass.

I did a data check and found that MCACC had rolled off my lower output by 6. I don't know if this is 6 db in MCACC speak, or six on some scale of 0-?.

I ended up copying the MCACC settings using MCACC to one of the custom settings and then merely boosting the 40 hz setting back to zero.

The bass was back along with the eq'ed sound I liked.

Not sure what was going on with MCACC's calibration. It seemed to get everything right except the bottom end of the audio range.

The speakers were correctly set to large by MCACC.
Thanks for the response. I guess I need to find the menu item that allows me to boost the 40Hz setting (which I haven't yet managed to do). I'm guessing there is some sort of EQ where I can change the levels of a number of frequencies?
post #5585 of 5585 Old Today, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
On my receiver there is a Manual MCACC menu option. Under this there is a data check function that allows you to see what settings MCACC has established for each of your speakers. This is where I found the bass (40hz) setting lowered.

There is also a MCACC copy setting on the same Manual MCACC menu. This allows you to copy the settings MCACC established to a Custom file. I copied the "All Channel Adj" MCACC settings to the Custom 1 file.

I was then able to go into the Custom Adj 1 setting on the Manual MCAAC menu and bump the bass setting back up to zero.

Exiting the menu saves the changes.

I then just used the button on the remote to select the custom 1 eq setting and leave it there.

Hope this is of some help, knowing that although the MCACC system is probably common between our receivers, we likely have different versions of both hardware and the calibration system.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page