"OFFICIAL" Pioneer MCACC thread - Page 188 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ok... So I did additional troubleshooting and found that my main zone sub output 2 is not sending a signal. I've been looking for solutions to turn the signal on but haven't found anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

There are never failures, only challenges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
How does one hook up a digital coax cable to the LFEoutput on the receiver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg247 View Post
I might be using the incorrect terms. On the receiver there is a plug labeled subwoofer. I put a digital coaxial cable in there and put the other side into the subwoofer port labeled "LFE". I also tried the line in port on the sub but that didn't work either.
I know these a kind of dated but I will answer them anyway.

Connect sub to AVR w/single RCA cable; not digital coax cable. Hopefully, these two have figured it out by now

Logitech Squeezbox Classic | Squeezebox Radio
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman9270 View Post
I guess you can call it that. If your L/R channels are set to large, it will send all audio below your crossover setting to those channels.
No, it doesn't work that way. This has been discussed ad nauseam. Setting the speakers to large just means they get the full spectrum signal w/o the lfe signal. LFE is only directed to a sub if present.

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 View Post
No, it doesn't work that way. This has been discussed ad nauseam. Setting the speakers to large just means they get the full spectrum signal w/o the lfe signal. LFE is only directed to a sub if present.
My apologies then. I thought full spectrum would include all frequencies. Then what is the frequency range for LFE? I'm confused now.

There are never failures, only challenges.
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 View Post
Connect sub to AVR w/single RCA cable; not digital coax cable. Hopefully, these two have figured it out by now
Subwoofer cables, "digital coax cables" AKA S/PDIF, component cables, and the video part of a composite cable should all be 75 Ohms and interchangeable. Ordinary audio cable (red/white connectors) may work fine but may have less shielding and an impedance mismatch. Swapping the cable is not likely to help unless it's defective.
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 293
The old diagram I have shows a 110 Hz LPF on the LFE channel but I have read elsewhere it may go as high as 160 Hz (?) Check the Dolby and THX web sites (though I think THX has made most spec info private now). The LFE channel is actually recorded at a different level and bitrate than the other channels (and lower resolution? not sure on that).

No diagram I have shows LFE going into the mains if there is a sub. If you do not have a sub and your L/R speakers are large then LFE is routed to them in most (not all, some do not really say) of the AVR diagrams I have (various flavors of mostly older models from Denon, Pioneer, Sony, and Yamaha).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
Subwoofer cables, "digital coax cables" AKA S/PDIF, component cables, and the video part of a composite cable should all be 75 Ohms and interchangeable. Ordinary audio cable (red/white connectors) may work fine but may have less shielding and an impedance mismatch. Swapping the cable is not likely to help unless it's defective.
well, I stand corrected. My apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
The old diagram I have shows a 110 Hz LPF on the LFE channel but I have read elsewhere it may go as high as 160 Hz (?) Check the Dolby and THX web sites (though I think THX has made most spec info private now). The LFE channel is actually recorded at a different level and bitrate than the other channels (and lower resolution? not sure on that).

No diagram I have shows LFE going into the mains if there is a sub. If you do not have a sub and your L/R speakers are large then LFE is routed to them in most (not all, some do not really say) of the AVR diagrams I have (various flavors of mostly older models from Denon, Pioneer, Sony, and Yamaha).
And, apparently I am mistaken yet again. I was not aware that the LFE goes to the mains when set to "large". Guess I'm 0/2.

Thanks guys for clearing that up for me. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I got nervous because I have read that same comment about the LFE channel before. The Dolby Digital 5.1 White Paper states you can elect to have LFE sent to the L/R speakers if they are large. I know it works that way in my system (Pioneer SC-27 AVR) because I am not using the sub output and an LFE test signal does come out the L/R speakers (which are a hybrid of planer magnetics and active subs bi-amped with external amp and crossover).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The folks at GoldenEar speakers have found that some manufacturers (they didn't get more specific than that) engineer their receivers to roll off LFE when it's being sent to "large" speakers. On their line of speakers with built-in subs, they now recommend setting mains to large, sub to yes, and run an LFE connection to the subs in the speakers.
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Pioneer, for one, uses a global crossover applied to all channels. That means if you specify 80 Hz, it is applied to all speakers, and the LFE signal is also rolled off (high-pass filtered) at 80 Hz. This is a non-issue sonically in most systems, but was an issue for me (much lower crossover) and my scheme bypasses that problem. I am not sure that is the same as what you describe GoldenEar has seen. I have never heard of anyone rolling off the LF side of the LFE signal, but my sample size is limited.

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I probably wasn't being clear enough. They said that when sub was sent to NO and mains were set to LARGE, which means the LFE is being sent down the speaker wire, the LFE was getting rolled off at the lower frequencies. As I recall, the theory was at least some receiver manufacturers might've worried about speaker damage.

Setting speakers to LARGE, sub to YES, and hooking the speaker up with wire and an LFE connection bypasses this issue.
Old Today, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I do not know what other manufacturers do; it would not really surprise me that some work that way (subsonic roll-off). My system uses a Pioneer SC-27 running MCACC (the subject of this thread), no sub, and "large" L/R speakers (hybrids as mentioned above). It is as flat as I can get it in-room (about +/-6 dB measured response from the 0 dB average reference level) from 10 Hz to 20 kHz. The bottom octave is actually pretty flat, no evidence of roll-off at least to 10 Hz. See attached plot. The large 37 Hz dip is a pesky room mode and you can see other peaks and valleys from various things in the room. So I do not think that concern applies here (Pioneer MCACC) unless things have changed recently.

The measurements were taken using an Earthworks M30 measurement microphone, inexpensive m-audio interface, and R+D software on an old Dell notebook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20100802_tweaked_p0833oct_small.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	388073