Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #5671 of 5679 Old 12-19-2014, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Send a message via MSN to Arbalest
I am having an issue with my VSX-821-K... although there are a RCA subwoofer output and pre-outs for the surround back/front height, the MCACC does not pick them up during calibration; and the speakers are connected. I refuse to believe that ALL of the RCA outputs have been shorted, but right now the only sound I am picking up are the high level sound... in other words, all the connections that has a speaker wire connected to it; FL/FR/C/SL/SR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 5679 Old 12-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For those of you working with MCACC "Acoustic Calibration EQ Professional" and wanting to understand how to use the graphs to set the calibration time, I found this explanation in a manual for a European model that is a little more helpful that the same section in my SC-87 manual:

Acoustic Calibration EQ Professional
How to interpret the graphical output
The graph shows decibels on the vertical axis and time (in milliseconds) on the horizontal axis. A straight line indicates a flat-response room (no reverb), whereas a sloping line indicates the presence of reverberation when outputting test tones. The sloping line will eventually flatten out when the reverberant sound stabilizes (this usually takes about 100 ms or so). By analyzing the graph, you should be able to see how your room is responding to certain frequencies. Differences in channel level and speaker distance are taken into account automatically (compensation is provided for comparison purposes), and the frequency measurements can be examined both with and without the equalization performed by this receiver.

Setting Acoustic Calibration EQ Professional according to your room characteristics
Using the manual setup, you can set the time period at which the frequency response is analyzed, pinpointing the time that is best for system calibration with your particular room characteristics. The graph below shows the difference between conventional acoustic calibration and professional calibration (the gray circle indicates the point where the microphone captures sound during frequency analysis).

As soon as audio is output from your speaker system, it is influenced by room characteristics, such as walls, furniture, and the dimensions of the room. The sooner the frequency analysis, the less it is influenced by the room. We recommend an earlier time setting of 30~50ms to compensate for two major factors that will influence the sound of most rooms:
• Reverberance of high vs. low frequencies –
Depending on your room, you may find that lower frequencies seem overly reverberant compared to higher frequencies (i.e. your room sounds ‘boomy’). This may result in a skewed frequency analysis if the measurement is done too late.

• Reverb characteristics for different channels –
Reverb characteristics can be somewhat different for each channel. Since this difference increases as the sound is influenced by the various room characteristics, it is often better to capture a frequency analysis early on for smoother mixing of channel frequencies/sounds.

If your room isn’t affected by the factors above, it is often not necessary to make a 30~50ms setting. Later time settings may provide a more detailed sound experience with your speaker system. It is best to try and see what works best for your particular room. Note that changing the room (for example, moving furniture or paintings) will affect the calibration results. In such cases, you should recalibrate your system.
post #5673 of 5679 Old 12-24-2014, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Cool Mcacc pro eq

Hi new to the forum this is my first post.
Questions.
I have a def tec 8060 center change and I'm trying to eq it with the eq in mcacc. I am having difficulty getting s nice natural sound I get either muffled sound or real harsh sound that's hurting the ears with sssss sounds to defined please help me.
post #5674 of 5679 Old 12-24-2014, 06:22 AM

I am also unsure I've the eq pro timing. I've ran the mcacc several times with different times and I usually get back a real bright sound with to many diffrences and unnatural sounds. I just want a nice smooth natural sound. What times should I be using. I'm doing it wrong?

I'm going blind and have really sensitive ears. I find certain frequencies hurt. I just want a nice smooth natural sound. Crisp and detailed but not to bright.

I have definitive technology Bp 20 mains set to large. A def tech 8060 centre. Set to large. 4 x energy rc for surrounds (7.1) set to small with a crossover setting of 100 a def tech super cube LFE. And it's running of of my pioneer sc1528
Any help would be anticipated.
post #5675 of 5679 Old 12-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coriehc View Post
I am also unsure I've the eq pro timing. I've ran the mcacc several times with different times and I usually get back a real bright sound with to many diffrences and unnatural sounds. I just want a nice smooth natural sound. What times should I be using. I'm doing it wrong?

I'm going blind and have really sensitive ears. I find certain frequencies hurt. I just want a nice smooth natural sound. Crisp and detailed but not to bright.

I have definitive technology Bp 20 mains set to large. A def tech 8060 centre. Set to large. 4 x energy rc for surrounds (7.1) set to small with a crossover setting of 100 a def tech super cube LFE. And it's running of of my pioneer sc1528
I found that using a good tripod and adjusting the orientation of the mic to point it slightly forward helped. Sitting it on a pillow on the couch at ear height did not yield good results. Also it must be absolutely quiet...I ended up unplugging two refrigerators, a water cooler, a fish tank, and turning off the furnace and two computers before I got decent results. Actually, the only thing I could hear during the calibration was the fan on the sc-87.

After doing all of this I found that the sound didn't differ much to my ears with the different calibration time. A bigger difference, although not that great, was between the 'all ch adjust' and 'symmetry' calibrations. And the biggest difference overall is between mcacc and no mcacc. I also have to say that I prefer no mcacc for stereo music listening. And that's interesting, and disappointing, to me because a good calibration, in my mind, should make everything sound better. Consequently, most of the time I leave EQ disabled.

Sean
post #5676 of 5679 Old 12-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coriehc View Post

Did you play with the X-Curve setting? That always something I dial in on a Pioneer AVR after I run my MCACC. The X-Curve takes the very high frequencies down a bit. I always usually dial in a -2 or -3 slop in the curve.
post #5677 of 5679 Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_S View Post
I found that using a good tripod and adjusting the orientation of the mic to point it slightly forward helped. Sitting it on a pillow on the couch at ear height did not yield good results. Also it must be absolutely quiet...I ended up unplugging two refrigerators, a water cooler, a fish tank, and turning off the furnace and two computers before I got decent results. Actually, the only thing I could hear during the calibration was the fan on the sc-87.

After doing all of this I found that the sound didn't differ much to my ears with the different calibration time. A bigger difference, although not that great, was between the 'all ch adjust' and 'symmetry' calibrations. And the biggest difference overall is between mcacc and no mcacc. I also have to say that I prefer no mcacc for stereo music listening. And that's interesting, and disappointing, to me because a good calibration, in my mind, should make everything sound better. Consequently, most of the time I leave EQ disabled.

Sean
I've been tweaking. I find it's sounding way better with the eq off. I actually set the mic in top of a paint roller extension and jam it in between two couch cushions so its at ear height. Thinking should maybe still get a tripod. I find all channel adjust better I have an od shaped room with high ceilings.
post #5678 of 5679 Old Yesterday, 04:52 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
Did you play with the X-Curve setting? That always something I dial in on a Pioneer AVR after I run my MCACC. The X-Curve takes the very high frequencies down a bit. I always usually dial in a -2 or -3 slop in the curve.
Scurvy at -2 sounds much better now with eq off. I guess I just don't kike the Mcacc eq otherwise it's sounding pretty dam sweet now.
post #5679 of 5679 Old Today, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_S View Post

Sean
Check out post 5670! So it turns out that I'm not the only one whose multi-channel and stereo results are different. I actually came up with settings I could tolerate when listening in both multi-channel and stereo, but the bass sounded overdriven when listening in both. So in frustration, I deleted all my MCACC settings, turned EQ and S. WAVE off, and selected PURE DIRECT. I even turned off my subwoofer. I have noticed that after giving matters like this a rest for a while, it clears my head and new ideas of EQ settings enter my mind. I can't use the mic because I don't really have a good place to set it up. So I go into EQ adjust and do it by ear and by hand. I also have X-CURVE in the speaker menu set to off. Right now, with all my speakers set to LARGE, all MCACC settings deleted, EQ, S. WAVE, and DIALOG E. set to OFF, and PURE DIRECT selected, it sounds like my speakers produce the full range, with a strong presence in midrange. While I like to understand dialog, I don't want speech to lose its natural overtones for the sake of intelligibility. Any ideas?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors