"OFFICIAL" Pioneer MCACC thread - Page 212 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 105Likes

post #6331 of 6332 Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 139
^ Yeah, I'm not seeing any way of assigning the amplifiers on the VSX-80 in a manner that would allow the surround backs and the front heights or wides to work at the same time, even with an additional stereo amplifier connected to the Front L/R pre-outs. I'm not seeing that the internal amps that power the Front L&R speaker terminals can be assigned to anything else. The only amplifiers that can switch between speaker terminals are the pair that powers the Surround Back terminals, or the Front Height/Wide terminals (switching only between those two).

You can connect all 9 speakers to the terminals on the VSX-80, and set the SP setting (page 71 in the manual) to SP: SB/FH ON or SP: SB/FW ON. This is supposed to provide auto switching between powering the surround back and the front height/wide speaker terminals based on the audio signal input. My guess is that if the input is 6.1 or 7.1 the surround backs will be on, and if the input is 5.1 or less the front heights or wides will be on, but you may have to experiment with it to find out. If it comes down to a question of heights/wides vs. surround backs, I'd pick the backs based on what I've read. I don't think the heights/wides add that much. CNET claimed they couldn't tell any difference with or without heights, but I don't think they commented on wides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6332 of 6332 Old Today, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to johnofarch14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
^ Yeah, I'm not seeing any way of assigning the amplifiers on the VSX-80 in a manner that would allow the surround backs and the front heights or wides to work at the same time, even with an additional stereo amplifier connected to the Front L/R pre-outs. I'm not seeing that the internal amps that power the Front L&R speaker terminals can be assigned to anything else. The only amplifiers that can switch between speaker terminals are the pair that powers the Surround Back terminals, or the Front Height/Wide terminals (switching only between those two).

You can connect all 9 speakers to the terminals on the VSX-80, and set the SP setting (page 71 in the manual) to SP: SB/FH ON or SP: SB/FW ON. This is supposed to provide auto switching between powering the surround back and the front height/wide speaker terminals based on the audio signal input. My guess is that if the input is 6.1 or 7.1 the surround backs will be on, and if the input is 5.1 or less the front heights or wides will be on, but you may have to experiment with it to find out. If it comes down to a question of heights/wides vs. surround backs, I'd pick the backs based on what I've read. I don't think the heights/wides add that much. CNET claimed they couldn't tell any difference with or without heights, but I don't think they commented on wides.

Thank you so much for that very detailed answer. That answers all my questions and doubts. actually i already have my separate amps running my fronts right now and i'm just trying to figure out how to run all 9 speakers at the same time so since it's not possible then i think it's time for me to invest a 9.2 receiver. Oh my! Another project, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man Cave setup:

65" Wall mounted Samsung smart 3d tv; Pioneer Elite VSX-80 AVR; Sony PS3 Bluray player; 2 Klipsch RF-35 L/R floor standing; 1 Klipsch RC-62 ii Center; 2 Klipsch R-14m front heights; 2 Klipsch R-14m surround back; 2 Klipsch R-14s surround sides; 12" Mirage FRX-S12 subwoofer; 12" Klipsch Sub12 subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors