"OFFICIAL" Pioneer MCACC thread - Page 215 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #6421 of 6428 Old 08-22-2017, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi, I got my first Pioneer AV Receiver (LX801) end of 2016 (have been enjoying Sony ES receivers before), and I am pretty impressed with the power and control of this guy! However, still trying to get the most of it :-).

Just signed up to this thread and browsed through it, without finding clear answers to my doubts. Sorry if my questions have been dealt already.

1) Just to confirm I am not wrong in stating that when running an MCACC calibration, the 3 available settings memories (M1, M2, M3) are setup as Symmetry, All Channel Adjust, Front Align respectively, unless I assign the memories differently, right? So, only 1 run of MCACC is needed to get the parameters for the 3 profiles. Am I correct?

2) If only 1 run is needed to pupulate the parameters for each profile (Symmetry, ACA, FA), what parameters/profile are you guys recommending to use for Music and for Movies? (I mean in case you don't use Pure Direct for Music).

3) If after having the parameters for the 3 profiles, I delete the data of one of them (in the data management of the MCACC menu), do I get to factory settings for that profile? Or is there any EQ or other settings still remaining on that profile?

Thanks

Sony KD-75ZD9
Pioneer SC-LX801
Dynaudio Excite X32 x2, X16 x2, X22, SUB300
Oppo UDP-203
HTPC (i7, nvidia GTX1060 12gb, Kodi)

Last edited by Boirathor; 08-22-2017 at 02:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6422 of 6428 Old 08-22-2017, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked: 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boirathor View Post
Hi, I got my first Pioneer AV Receiver (LX801) end of 2016 (have been enjoying Sony ES receivers before), and I am pretty impressed with the power and control of this guy! However, still trying to get the most of it :-).

Just signed up to this thread and browsed through it, without finding clear answers to my doubts. Sorry if my questions have been dealt already.

1) Just to confirm I am not wrong in stating that when running an MCACC calibration, the 3 available settings memories (M1, M2, M3) are setup as Symmetry, All Channel Adjust, Front Align respectively, unless I assign the memories differently, right? So, only 1 run of MCACC is needed to get the parameters for the 3 profiles. Am I correct?

2) If only 1 run is needed to pupulate the parameters for each profile (Symmetry, ACA, FA), what parameters/profile are you guys recommending to use for Music and for Movies? (I mean in case you don't use Pure Direct for Music).

3) If after having the parameters for the 3 profiles, I delete the data of one of them (in the data management of the MCACC menu), do I get to factory settings for that profile? Or is there any EQ or other settings still remaining on that profile?

Thanks
1) Yes.

2) Try and see which you prefer. I used ACA to compensate a bit of asymmetry in my room. I personally do not favor FA as the whole idea does not really resonate with me (matching everything to fronts when other speakers have pretty different characteristics).

3) If you delete the data then defaults will be used, which are probably not the best choice, but YMMV. I usually copied the settings to another memory and manually tweaked them.

Pure Direct does not sound good in my room and I am of the opinion that room correction is good for all signals, movies or music, so do not go along with the "Pure Direct for music" camp. Considering the bazillions of devices and operations along the chain from mic to ears the addition of room correction is a plus for me with no significant downside.

FWIWFM - Don
Boirathor likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6423 of 6428 Old 08-22-2017, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 20
A question about when I calibrate. Is it better to turn off everything except the reciever to get absolute silence or should I turn on like my projector so it's like the real environment when I watching a movie? What's better for the sound?

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk

Last edited by westbergjoakim; 08-22-2017 at 07:28 AM.

post #6424 of 6428 Old 08-22-2017, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I apologize if this has already been answered:

I have an SC-55

I ran auto mcacc then tried to go in and tweak the "all ch. adj" "acoustic cal EQ" in "manual mcacc" mode with guidance from REW software with a UMIK-1 measurement mic.

I find that my adjustements to the "acoustic cal EQ" are not showing up in my measurement sweeps in REW, which is connected to the SC-55's HDMI 3 input via my laptop. The receiver shows "PCM" when the test tones play. I tried to make a -12 db cut at 2khz as a test but the frequency response was exactly the same before and after. Is there a setting I am missing? EQ is set to "on", tone control set to "on", and "al ch adj." is selected as the active setting.

How do I get the "acoustic cal EQ" adjustments to show up in my measurement sweeps? The distance/time adjustments and standing wave adjustments do seem to be showing up.

Last edited by lonestarwings; 08-22-2017 at 07:20 AM.
post #6425 of 6428 Old 08-22-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by westbergjoakim View Post
A question about when I calibrate. Is it better to turn off everything except the reciever to get absolute silence or should I turn on like my projector so it's like the real environment when I watching a movie? What's better for the sound?
You may need to calibrate twice (using two different memory settings). I presume the pj is off when listening to music, so you want one calibration for that.
Fortunately, switching isn't that hard.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: Getting Started With REW: A Step-by-Step Guide
post #6426 of 6428 Old 08-22-2017, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarwings View Post
How do I get the "acoustic cal EQ" adjustments to show up in my measurement sweeps?
You need to "back out" of the adjustment panel for the setting to take (just back to the previous menu).
Make sure you're testing in REW the same channel you're changing.
Michael
lonestarwings likes this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: Getting Started With REW: A Step-by-Step Guide
post #6427 of 6428 Old 08-22-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
You need to "back out" of the adjustment panel for the setting to take (just back to the previous menu).
Make sure you're testing in REW the same channel you're changing.
Michael
Thanks, I messed around with everything and it started working somehow.
post #6428 of 6428 Old 08-25-2017, 08:45 AM

Can anyone speak to the bass management features on the 2017 models like the LX801 MCACC?

My 7-8 y/o SC-55 is a bit lacking, the only bass EQ really is the "Standing wave" which only goes down to 63 hz and does cuts only. Do the new ones offer more bands in lower frequencies and offer the option to boost frequencies? I have a double peak in my room (30hz, 55hz) and then a dip (85hz which actually does respond to eq boost), so a few extra bands of eq on the subwoofer would be nice.

Tried a search but had trouble finding relevant information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page