post #811 of 5582 Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post

I have VSX-01. I now have Ascend 340SE fronst and center with inceiling surround(not great but these were placed 6yrs ago by my builder and no easy fix to change them out and it is all the wife will allow). I purchased a eD A2-300 subwoofer.

I used MCACC and set my speakers to small with 80hz crossover for THX. Now my sub has a knob to set the crossover from 35-180hz. I set it to 180hz. If I understand what I did was by setting the PIO to 80hz crossover it will send the signal at 80 and below to the sub. The subs crossover will not "filter" any signals since it will take signal hz below 180hz.

This means the sub is only reproducing the signals at 80hz and below correct?

Correct.

Well, technically, it continues to respond above 80Hz because the crossover is not a brick wall, but that's where it rolls off significantly and the sub produces less output above that point than the mains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 5582 Old 08-08-2009, 10:00 AM

Liked: 10
So here is a weird problem I have. I used to have a pretty large set of bose floor standing speakers which are quite boomy small crappy onkyo satellites for rears and a super bright klipsch center and I replaced with smaller bookshelf Paradigm speakers. I put the new speakers on and it sounded better...but still nice and loud. Last night, I did the Auto MCACC and last night, the volume ended up being quite a bit less than just before the Auto MCACC. I looked at the values of the speakers and found that the receiver actually upped the output of each speaker. Before the tune, I had to keep the volume at 25 for good loud playback and now, I have to keep it at 18 for about the same volume. My speakers now sound very flat. The bass from the subwoofer also sounds very quiet.

This is the case when I watch my DVR and a blue ray / dvd on my ps3. If I play an audio file from my ps3, the sound is very loud...like it used to be. Why would the sound be so much more full and nice with the PS3 music player but flat when playing a Blue Ray? Also, games also play very loud. What gives?
post #813 of 5582 Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Correct.

Well, technically, it continues to respond above 80Hz because the crossover is not a brick wall, but that's where it rolls off significantly and the sub produces less output above that point than the mains.

Thanks as always Macfan424.

Is there a better way to do this? On the A2-300 there are no markings on the crossover knob to set the sub at 80hz as well, so it would be an estimate at best. After reading this seemd the mos efficient way.
post #814 of 5582 Old 08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post

Thanks as always Macfan424.

Is there a better way to do this? On the A2-300 there are no markings on the crossover knob to set the sub at 80hz as well, so it would be an estimate at best. After reading this seemd the mos efficient way.

You should leave the A2-300 as you said you had it, all the way up at 180Hz (assuming it can't be turned off completely). It's the AVR that should be set for an 80Hz crossover, not the sub.

Cascading crossover's are a bad thing and can lead to sound degradation. The sub's should be kept out of the way so the AVR can handle all the crossover duties cleanly.
post #815 of 5582 Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You should leave the A2-300 as you said you had it, all the way up at 180Hz (assuming it can't be turned off completely). It's the AVR that should be set for an 80Hz crossover, not the sub.

Cascading crossover's are a bad thing and can lead to sound degradation. The sub's should be kept out of the way so the AVR can handle all the crossover duties cleanly.

Thank you very much. No way to turn off the crossover.
post #816 of 5582 Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTrance View Post

So here is a weird problem I have. I used to have a pretty large set of bose floor standing speakers which are quite boomy small crappy onkyo satellites for rears and a super bright klipsch center and I replaced with smaller bookshelf Paradigm speakers. I put the new speakers on and it sounded better...but still nice and loud. Last night, I did the Auto MCACC and last night, the volume ended up being quite a bit less than just before the Auto MCACC. I looked at the values of the speakers and found that the receiver actually upped the output of each speaker. Before the tune, I had to keep the volume at 25 for good loud playback and now, I have to keep it at 18 for about the same volume. My speakers now sound very flat. The bass from the subwoofer also sounds very quiet.

This is the case when I watch my DVR and a blue ray / dvd on my ps3. If I play an audio file from my ps3, the sound is very loud...like it used to be. Why would the sound be so much more full and nice with the PS3 music player but flat when playing a Blue Ray? Also, games also play very loud. What gives?

Guess no one else is going to answer.

On THX models at least, MCACC re-calibrates the sound levels so that 0 on it's scale equals reference levels (with internally generated tones; external input can differ for various reasons). This generally results in the sound being softer or louder at the same numeric readout than it was pre-calibration, depending on the sensitivity of the speakers. It's nothing to be concerned about. It's by design to insure some of the processes work as they were intended. It does not affect the maximum volume the amp can put out. It just "corrects" the scale. If you want it louder, turn it up.

I have no experience with the PS3, and can't comment other than to note that different equipment interacts with the AVR differently. Given all the adjustments that I understand can be made within the PS3, I wouldn't be surprised to learn there is one to equalize the output levels from different sources. Otherwise, just adjust the volume to the level you want when you change sources.
post #817 of 5582 Old 08-11-2009, 07:45 AM

Macfan, thanks a lot for re-assuring me. I think I'm going to just settle with the system the way it is. I will admit that I can hear more detail than I used to. Again, thanks a lot of answering my question.
post #818 of 5582 Old 08-11-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeranMuden View Post

Well I'm giving up, the sibilance has won this battle.

I adjusted some of the higher bands like the 8'er as you suggested.
Even copied the MCACC preset so I could compare the sound.
But it's just terrible....

It's too late for a return of the Pio, but I now regret getting this.
The high pitched screams will dominate my living room, until I have saved enough budget to replace the Pio, while getting slapped by the wife.

Sibilance versus Beran:
1 - 0

But on a positive note:
Thanks for all your good help and advise!

After reading Beran's posts, I am starting to wonder if he is having the same sound issues I am having. I've done many AVS and Google searches for a solution with no luck so far, so I thought I'd at least post my experiences here. This is what's going on....

For certain TV shows, DVDs, Blu-rays, etc., I get a very high-pitched... ringing I guess I would say. It is only during certain sections of the shows/movies, and it is typically only when certain characters are talking. However, unless I am totally misunderstanding what sibilance is, that is not the problem in my case as the "S" sounds are not excessive. I can hear the ringing even when the character is not talking (in between sentences, for example) or during a few sections where no one is talking at all.

It was happening with my old VSX-711, and is still happening with my 919 before and after MCACC. I think the oddest part is that my wife can not hear it at all, which really makes finding a solution even harder as maybe my stupid ears are more sensitive to high frequencies (I never would have guessed that after years of metal concerts ).

I am not done troubleshooting, as this only started happening with my new speakers (used with both receivers). It's only the center channel and I've tried swapping the center speaker with one of the surrounds and still hear the ringing. Next I'm going to try a different length of speaker wire (which was also new with the speakers), but I have 14 AWG wire in a run of about 3 feet, so I'm skeptical of that being the solution.

Anyway, I just thought Beran or maybe someone else might find this interesting.

Thanks!
post #819 of 5582 Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper31 View Post

Well this doesn't sound like my sibilance problem I used to have...
And yes, I say have, because after some more listening sessions, it seems to be less annoying than at first. Perhaps the receiver needed some "playing-in"-time. Or perhaps I just needed to get used to the sharp sounds that are now audible.

Anyway it doesn't sound like what I experienced. I would say it's a speaker issue, since you also had it with your previous receiver. Hopefully you manage to find a solution to it.
post #820 of 5582 Old 08-12-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper31 View Post

After reading Beran's posts, I am starting to wonder if he is having the same sound issues I am having. I've done many AVS and Google searches for a solution with no luck so far, so I thought I'd at least post my experiences here. This is what's going on....

For certain TV shows, DVDs, Blu-rays, etc., I get a very high-pitched... ringing I guess I would say. It is only during certain sections of the shows/movies, and it is typically only when certain characters are talking. However, unless I am totally misunderstanding what sibilance is, that is not the problem in my case as the "S" sounds are not excessive. I can hear the ringing even when the character is not talking (in between sentences, for example) or during a few sections where no one is talking at all.

It was happening with my old VSX-711, and is still happening with my 919 before and after MCACC. I think the oddest part is that my wife can not hear it at all, which really makes finding a solution even harder as maybe my stupid ears are more sensitive to high frequencies (I never would have guessed that after years of metal concerts ).

I am not done troubleshooting, as this only started happening with my new speakers (used with both receivers). It's only the center channel and I've tried swapping the center speaker with one of the surrounds and still hear the ringing. Next I'm going to try a different length of speaker wire (which was also new with the speakers), but I have 14 AWG wire in a run of about 3 feet, so I'm skeptical of that being the solution.

Thanks!

Speaker wire should not make any difference if you're already using 14g.

Given the 'years of metal concerts'....wondering if it's mild tinnitus? Does it always happen at the same place when you play the same disc? Or is it somewhat 'random'?

As for Beran's sibilance issue, for starters I would turn off all of the AVRs processing -- using Pure Direct mode and turning off MCACC and see if it's still there.
post #821 of 5582 Old 08-13-2009, 05:24 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Beran -
I agree, I think it has something to do with my speakers. It just seemed odd that it was happening with the center channel and with one of the surrounds connected to the center channel output.

Krabapple -
I had said that it happens rather randomly, however, it is consistent (makes sense right? ). What I mean is, I noticed a particularly bad case while watching digital cable and after DVR'ing the show the problem was most definitely consistent in that recording. Even the "peaks" and "troughs" of the ringing remained the same.

I will say that I am noticing it less and less as time goes on, whether the speakers are "breaking-in" as they say, or I'm becoming a conformist. Either way, my wife doesn't hear it, and when she's happy I'm happy.

Sorry to go a bit off-topic guys. So, to remedy that a bit: that last night we watched the Blood Diamond Blu-ray, and I was extremely impressed with the spacial conformity and sound clarity that MCACC has provided! I have very, very little experience with audio, but our current home theater room must be an acoustical nightmare (fairly large, mostly bare walls, hardwood floor, one open side) and I have never heard such amazing sound. Plus, so far I've only run the default auto calibration as I haven't had time to follow the excellent guide at the beginning of this thread, but I can't wait to do a bit more tweaking when the opportunity arises.

Many thanks to everyone in this forum, I couldn't have gotten this far without the great advice in here! (and +1 to Macfan)
post #822 of 5582 Old 08-13-2009, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 178
OK, here's something also off-topic, though it is about a Pioneer AVR (my 74txvi). I noticed tonight for the first time, that when I pass it a DTS 96/24 bitstream, the display only shows 'DTS 96/24' and the small 96/24 indicator only lights up, if the receiver is in "DIRECT" or 'PURE DIRECT" mode. Otherwise (i.e., in 'Standard' or 'AUTO SURROUND' modes) the display shows 'DTS' and the '96/24' indicator does not light.

This seems to contradict the user manual, which claims the AVR does 'straight decoding' of DTS 96/24 in those modes.

(Btw, regarding the confusing differences between DIRECT and PURE DIRECT, DIRECT keeps the bass management, distance, and MCACC settings, but bypasses tone controls; PURE DIRECT turns off everything except MCACC, as far as I can tell, even though the manual says it passes signal 'without any digital processing').
post #823 of 5582 Old 08-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i'm getting confused here as to Direct and Pure Direct

which should be used when playing Blu Ray discs?
I think I'd better sleep on this
post #824 of 5582 Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pochoboy View Post

i'm getting confused here as to Direct and Pure Direct

which should be used when playing Blu Ray discs?
I think I'd better sleep on this

Whichever one sounds best to you.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way, only personal preference. (Personally, I prefer THX Select/Ultra2 Cinema, but I want 7.1 and there aren't many BDs that are encoded that way.)
post #825 of 5582 Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 PM

I recently installed the 919 in our theater room (12x14). Mains/Center are Rega R5/R1, but surrounds are Axiom QS4s ("quad pole") mounted on stands just over 3 ft off the ground.

I ran the MCACC auto setup today and it indicated the RS was wired out of phase. I double-checked the wiring was correct and ran it again. This time it said both surrounds were out of phase. Again, double-checked. Ran it 3 more times. Each time, it would indicate 1 or both surrounds were wired out of phase. I finally just moved on to the next step and completed the setup.

My questions are: will this have a negative effect if the MCACC routine is based on the faulty assumption that the wires are crossed? Or will it simply act on the result (which may mimic an out of phase speaker) and therefore perform correctly? I'd feel more comfortable if the routine consistently identified one speaker as out of phase, rather than the hit or miss results I got.

I assume this is due to the speakers being multipolar. Is this correct?

This is only my second AVR (life-long 2 channel integrated guy) and "room correction" has always meant pillows and foam, so any help with this greatly appreciated. Thanks,
post #826 of 5582 Old 08-16-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeranMuden View Post

After listening to some audio CD's, I noticed a lot of hisses in the high tones.
Vocals almost seem to "lisp". This is also audible on movies, but listening to a music source is particularly annoying (thanks to ccotenj I now know this is called "sibilance").

How does it sound when you switch off MCACC by selecting pure direct? Does it remove the sibilance?

Sibilance can be caused by "ringing" tweeters, therefore speaker related. But excessive cutting in the midlow range can cause speakers to sound too bright as well. I'm very interested in the EQ settings MCACC applies if the problem is resolved by switching off MCACC.

Correcting high frequency (speaker related) problems using an EQ is a difficult thing, it mostly doesn't end in a satisfactory result. A dynamic EQ is better for this purpose.
post #827 of 5582 Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnewmanpac View Post

I recently installed the 919 in our theater room (12x14). Mains/Center are Rega R5/R1, but surrounds are Axiom QS4s ("quad pole") mounted on stands just over 3 ft off the ground.

I ran the MCACC auto setup today and it indicated the RS was wired out of phase. I double-checked the wiring was correct and ran it again. This time it said both surrounds were out of phase. Again, double-checked. Ran it 3 more times. Each time, it would indicate 1 or both surrounds were wired out of phase. I finally just moved on to the next step and completed the setup.

My questions are: will this have a negative effect if the MCACC routine is based on the faulty assumption that the wires are crossed? Or will it simply act on the result (which may mimic an out of phase speaker) and therefore perform correctly? I'd feel more comfortable if the routine consistently identified one speaker as out of phase, rather than the hit or miss results I got.

I assume this is due to the speakers being multipolar. Is this correct?

This is only my second AVR (life-long 2 channel integrated guy) and "room correction" has always meant pillows and foam, so any help with this greatly appreciated. Thanks,

MCACC isn't necessarily wrong. Some professional calibrators have noted that they occasionally encounter speakers in clients' homes that were inadvertently wired out of phase internally by the factory. You might try switching the polarity on your wires to the affected speaker(s) and see what happens.

However, bipolar, dipolar, and omnipolar speakers have been known to confuse auto setup systems, which seems to be what's happening since it's inconsistent. I've used various di/bi/omnipole setups with MCACC and never had a problem, but I've read about them with Audyssey. I really don't know how MCACC would try to compensate (if at all), but I'd probably accept its results unless my ears told me otherwise.
post #828 of 5582 Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
cdnewmanpac -- Macfan is right, however, a lot also depends on how you placed the MCACC microphone (exactly as described in the manual?), the shape of your room, and the relative locations of your seating and placement of your surround speakers.

If there is any asymmetry in your room and speaker locations + microphone location, then the sound phase that the MCACC's microphone detects can be more easily confused. Your microphone should be at roughly at ear height and the surrounds should be located at least 2' higher than your ears (when seated). It (mic) should also be placed on a tripod and aimed directly upwards (towards the ceiling).

I'm a little confused by your statement that your surrounds are "multi-polar" - does that mean that they are an array of multiple speakers? Most surrounds, that have multiple speakers, are usually set up as bi-polar or di-polar (or switchable between those 2 choices).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #829 of 5582 Old 08-16-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

If there is any asymmetry in your room and speaker locations + microphone location, then the sound phase that the MCACC's microphone detects can be more easily confused. Your microphone should be at roughly at ear height and the surrounds should be located at least 2' higher than your ears (when seated). It (mic) should also be placed on a tripod and aimed directly upwards (towards the ceiling).

Because I haven't wall mounted the surrounds yet, the bottom of the surround is parallel to where the mic was placed. I also haven't installed any wall art or my screen, so there are 4 bare walls. Will see if this improves once surrounds, screen and art are permanently mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

I'm a little confused by your statement that your surrounds are "multi-polar" - does that mean that they are an array of multiple speakers? Most surrounds, that have multiple speakers, are usually set up as bi-polar or di-polar (or switchable between those 2 choices).

The Axioms are "quad-polar", with woofers firing up/down and tweeters firing roughly 45deg from the wall and 90 deg from each other. Because of separation of the tweeters within the box, nothing fires directly at the listener(or mic in this case), but rather slightly in front of/behind.
post #830 of 5582 Old 08-16-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:

MCACC isn't necessarily wrong. Some professional calibrators have noted that they occasionally encounter speakers in clients' homes that were inadvertently wired out of phase internally by the factory. You might try switching the polarity on your wires to the affected speaker(s) and see what happens.

I tried rewiring first the left and then the right speaker. When I rewired the RS, MCACC still reported it as out of phase. When I rewired the LS, it now reports the LS out of phase, but the RS in phase.

Quote:

However, bipolar, dipolar, and omnipolar speakers have been known to confuse auto setup systems, which seems to be what's happening since it's inconsistent. I've used various di/bi/omnipole setups with MCACC and never had a problem, but I've read about them with Audyssey. I really don't know how MCACC would try to compensate (if at all), but I'd probably accept its results unless my ears told me otherwise.

I played part of Master and Commander in pure direct, then auto surround. If I've read the manual correctly, I should have been hearing with/without MCACC. With MCACC had cleaner bass, more intelligible dialog and no appreciable difference in surround info. It certainly wasn't worse with MCACC engaged. So maybe I should just move on and worry about other stuff.

Thanks,
post #831 of 5582 Old 08-16-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
cdnewmanpac -- Without having the surround speakers mounted (and 4 bare walls), your calibration isn't going to mean much. Since your surrounds are positioned way too low, they also won't be "heard" correctly by the microphone. It's not worth worrying about, until you get them mounted correctly (at least 2' above your listening position - higher is better, especially for those models).

The Axioms are really bi-polar speakers ("quad-polar" is marketing fluf). The positioning of the woofers is not that significant in surround use, their positioning is more of a convenience for the manufacturer. The fact that the woofers are aimed up & down could well be confusing the MCACC software (especially how you have them positioned, currently).

The fact that Master & Commander sounded best with MCACC engaged, says that it is doing its job. Get your HT room finished before you worry about serious audio calibration.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #832 of 5582 Old 08-16-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag2 View Post

I'm very interested in the EQ settings MCACC applies if the problem is resolved by switching off MCACC.

Actually, I've been using the "Direct Mode" for music since having my problem.
I must say, that this makes the problem "less noticeable" to use the correct words. Somehow I still think I can hear it, but it might just be the case of the receiver just sending through the correct sounds, even if they're sharp. It could be I never noticed this before, with a less-true sounding setup.

I also tried using "Pure Direct" but this just doesn't cut if for me (I believe this by-passes all receiver options, including the use of the sub).
So in short, "Direct" mode works best for me.

Sibilance is there, but it could be there because it was recorded it there.
post #833 of 5582 Old 08-16-2009, 01:56 PM

So MCACC actually makes the problem worse? It sounds like it could be that MCACC notices a low (or mid low) frequency problem, and corrects it by cutting (negative gain EQ filter). This makes the speakers sound brighter which can make the problem more noticable. Which speakers do you have?

What i would try:
- see what EQ settings MCACC applies to the front speakers: graphic EQ en standing wave control settings. When it's cutting heavily in the 150 - 500 Hz area (6dB+), i would try to "soften up" the settings. And see if this helps, without making it sound too muddy.
- if this isn't the case or doesn't help, i would try to apply a gentle HF roll off, starting off at 8KHz. Maybe cutting by 2 or max 3dB.
- you can always try to locate at which frequency a problem is located by boosting the frequency where you expect the problem to be (and than cutting at the same place if the problem was made worse).

But of course you have to use your ears, this is only speaking in general about EQ practice and based on your story.
post #834 of 5582 Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 AM

Good afternoon, Okay, I'm excited and went ahead and ordered the Mythos ST Towers/10/GemXL setup, along with a Pioneer Elite SC07 receiver. I had originally intended to use it in a 12' X 12' (9ft ceilings) carpeted room upstairs where our HDTV currently resides, and I still might do so.

However, my wife really likes the look of the mythos speaker system (good news!) and, accordingly, almost wants to move them into a larger, open floor plan type living room that we have on our main floor, instead of putting them in the upstairs room that currently houses our HDTV.

The large room downstairs has a two-story ceiling (so, 18-20 ft, say), very open floor plan, opens into the entirety of the downstairs pretty much. A much larger room, maybe 15' X 18'. No drapes, many windows, bare walls, hardwood floors, one area rug, leather couch/chairs. We had actually placed the new HDTV upstairs when we first bought it because the echo downstairs (or so I assume it was the echo) had made our panasonic crt tv and simple Sony HTIB hard to hear (subtitles anyone?) - dialogue was obscured. We assumed that it was room acoustics.

Would these speakers (mythos st towers, mythos 10, gem xls) work in this larger room with some MCACC magic applied, or would the acoustic problems affect things just as much as before? It would take some work to set the system up down there "just to check", and I probably would only do so if there was a reasonably good chance of success. I can't imagine that MCACC can completely "anti-reverb" a room. Would the mcacc help in this regard, or is the live, reflective room cursed :-)

Anyway, I'll stop there, just hoping to get some advice on how and where to best use my arriving system, which room to pick as the best bet.
post #835 of 5582 Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

mnbears, please see full response in the other thread where you cross posted this question. In short, my experience has been that MCACC can make a tremendous difference in a difficult acoustical environment like yours.
post #836 of 5582 Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
question on sc-05 hooked up via 25'+ cable to pc, the mcacc software sees the port but times out when trying to retrieve the data from the sc. Now, I've read the manual and it states that turning off the recv'r will erase the data. I've done the auto mcacc last week and just wanted to read whatevers in the sc but since the recv'rs been turned off will the "time out " message appear in the mcacc software because there's no data stored in the sc? I went into the manual mcacc section and used the output to pc option without running the auto mcacc or reverb tests.

I'm just trying to figure out the "time out" error either being caused by the long cable run or a problem with my db9 -> usb cable or its just that the recv'r has no info to send since its been turned off after the auto mcacc run?
post #837 of 5582 Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Got a question for you professionals. With the 6 MCACC presettings, is there anyway you can save the speaker size (large, small) to each seperate MCACC. What I'm trying to do is set for example preset 1 to movies with small speakers and preset 2 to large with SW to plus for music. I've been trying for hours and it seems that I could only set one size to all the presets. Any input is helpful.
TIA
post #838 of 5582 Old 08-23-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by vuongman View Post

Got a question for you professionals. With the 6 MCACC presettings, is there anyway you can save the speaker size (large, small) to each seperate MCACC. What I'm trying to do is set for example preset 1 to movies with small speakers and preset 2 to large with SW to plus for music. I've been trying for hours and it seems that I could only set one size to all the presets. Any input is helpful.
TIA

Sorry, no can do! Once you change the speaker size it stays that way until you got into the menu to make the change. You can save different db settings for speakers in the presets though.

Bill
post #839 of 5582 Old 08-24-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuongman View Post

TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Sorry, no can do! Once you change the speaker size it stays that way until you got into the menu to make the change. You can save different db settings for speakers in the presets though.

Bill

You might get a similar effect by manually boosting the subwoofer output by about 6dB in the second MCACC memory slot.
post #840 of 5582 Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 PM

thanks bsoko2 and Macfan for your inputs. I might try your suggestion Mac. But I find that disappointing in that Pioneer doesn't let you customize the speaker size to each preset. Why would they not let you do that? I mean it seems logical to have different settings for different modes. Does any receivers let you do that. Just curious. Other than that, I love my VSX-03
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page