17Likes

post #901 of 5669 Old 11-12-2009, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^^^

The crossover point is the frequency at which frequency are sent to the subwoofer instead of the speakers (this is a simplification. In fact, there is a gradual transfer, centered around the selected crossover frequency).

The general idea is to get the frequencies to the speakers that can best handle them. Since there is a single crossover point in the Pioneers (a good or bad thing depending who you ask ), then you can take the least capable non-sub speaker in your system as the reference point. In the specs you've given, it would be the left/right which go down to 60 Hz, so the crossover should be as low as possible, but above 60 Hz. That would make it 80 Hz in the Pioneer, I believe (You don't have surrounds?).

The above is the general theory. There are always variants and exceptions, and trying different crossover frequencies to see how they sound to you is always the final judge.

But also, a very large majority of system (I'd hazard a 90% figure) are usually set to 80 Hz. It's a nice, safe figure, and the standard THX crossover value.

Dan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 5669 Old 11-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

^^^

The crossover point is the frequency at which frequency are sent to the subwoofer instead of the speakers (this is a simplification. In fact, there is a gradual transfer, centered around the selected crossover frequency).

The general idea is to get the frequencies to the speakers that can best handle them. Since there is a single crossover point in the Pioneers (a good or bad thing depending who you ask ), then you can take the least capable non-sub speaker in your system as the reference point. In the specs you've given, it would be the left/right which go down to 60 Hz, so the crossover should be as low as possible, but above 60 Hz. That would make it 80 Hz in the Pioneer, I believe (You don't have surrounds?).

The above is the general theory. There are always variants and exceptions, and trying different crossover frequencies to see how they sound to you is always the final judge.

But also, a very large majority of system (I'd hazard a 90% figure) are usually set to 80 Hz. It's a nice, safe figure, and the standard THX crossover value.

Dan.

Thanks a ton Dan. I would go with 80Hz. All my surrounds go as low as 60Hz. So, 80 would be a safe bit.

By the way, my original confusion was after reading this post
post #903 of 5669 Old 11-12-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by matbhuvi View Post

Thanks a ton Dan. I would go with 80Hz. All my surrounds go as low as 60Hz. So, 80 would be a safe bit.

By the way, my original confusion was after reading this post

That list would confuse almost anyone! It's an impressive piece of research, but it combines so many different aspects of crossover philosophy that one has to be somewhat knowledgeable on the subject to sort through it all.

For MCACC, it's hard to beat 80Hz. It's suitable to the vast majority of users. Some people seem to be troubled if they are not using a lower crossover, but that choice generally does more harm than good.
post #904 of 5669 Old 11-14-2009, 09:37 AM

I am new to AVS Forum. I have a problem about navigating from one thread to another. We are talking about a certain problem but someone asks a great question but is told that he should move to another thread. How does the person asking the question and the person doing the advising move to another thread without disturbing the other people talking about one main subject. Thanks
post #905 of 5669 Old 11-14-2009, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

What kind of problem, bsoko2?
Installing or getting it to communicate?

As far as the software for 2.2.. here is the system requirements:

Requirements for using the application on your PC
The computer must be a PC functioning with one of the following operating systems: Microsoft®
Windows® Vista Home Basic/Home Premium/Ultimate SP1, Windows® XP Professional/Home Edition
SP3 or Windows® 2000 Professional SP4.

The monitor must have a display resolution of 800 x 600 dots (SVGA) or greater.
An RS-232C port connector is necessary for graphical output. Refer to the PC's operating instructions
and/or the PC manufacturer for more information on making the proper port settings.

Perhaps I should point out that they don't list Vista Business, which is what I run at home.
post #906 of 5669 Old 11-14-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

Perhaps I should point out that they don't list Vista Business, which is what I run at home.

I had Vista Ultimate at the time. I now run Win 7 Ultimate.

Bill
post #907 of 5669 Old 11-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by napawino View Post

I am new to AVS Forum. I have a problem about navigating from one thread to another. We are talking about a certain problem but someone asks a great question but is told that he should move to another thread. How does the person asking the question and the person doing the advising move to another thread without disturbing the other people talking about one main subject. Thanks

Maybe the FAQ = > Reading and Posting Messages will have your answer.
post #908 of 5669 Old 11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

This question is for some of the MCACC experts here: How high can the sub trim be set or should you leave it where MCACC sets it? Should it not be within a few DB's of the mains? And if not, just how high can you set it before damage happens to the reciever? Just curious as some people fool around with the sub trim in order to get a stronger signal to the sub.

Bill
post #909 of 5669 Old 11-20-2009, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

This question is for some of the MCACC experts here: How high can the sub trim be set or should you leave it where MCACC sets it?

If you want a "calibrated" sound, you should leave it where MCACC sets it. If you prefer more bass, you can always raise it if you want.

Quote:

Should it not be within a few DB's of the mains?

No, it's going to depend on the gain setting that is present on the sub itself.

Quote:

And if not, just how high can you set it before damage happens to the reciever?

Since the connection to the sub is a "line out" and the receiver does not "drive" the sub directly, but through the sub's internal amp, I do not believe there's any way to damage the *receiver*. You could damage the sub, though, if it starts bottoming out. It would depends on the sub's power and quality to see what would break first: The sub, your ears or your windows...

Quote:

Just curious as some people fool around with the sub trim in order to get a stronger signal to the sub.

Bill

Hey, we bought the items, they have controls, let's try them to see what we prefer! Just use some caution and common sense.

Dan.
post #910 of 5669 Old 11-20-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

info_dan - thanks for the reply. Just curious about the sub trim as tha manual doesn't give a good explanation of the "ins and outs" of the trim settings.

Bill
post #911 of 5669 Old 11-21-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This question is for some of the MCACC experts here: How high can the sub trim be set or should you leave it where MCACC sets it? Should it not be within a few DB's of the mains? And if not, just how high can you set it before damage happens to the reciever? Just curious as some people fool around with the sub trim in order to get a stronger signal to the sub.

Bill

Quote:

If you want a "calibrated" sound, you should leave it where MCACC sets it. If you prefer more bass, you can always raise it if you want...

+1 to info_dan's post.

One additional comment: It's a fairly common practice to manually add 2 or 3 dB to the AVR's sub setting. Some subwoofer manufacturers even recommend it. It strengthens bass a little, but not enough to unbalance and distort the sound or make it boomy as most people tend to do when they set bass by ear. But as info_dan said, experiment for yourself.
post #912 of 5669 Old 11-21-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 92
+1 to both...

i know that i boost the sub a bit...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #913 of 5669 Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad someone was kind enough to point me to this thread. I look forward to learning more of the ins and outs of how MCACC works and the best ways to make adjustments, etc.

Steve

post #914 of 5669 Old 11-25-2009, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ25 View Post

MCACC is still applied when Direct mode is chosen, right? If not then what else does direct mode disable?

Check your manual -- it's somewhat confusing, since there are multiple types of "Direct" modes. The front panel indicators should tell you what is processing is being done to the signal (that's what my manual says). If your front panel MCACC indicator is lit, then the MCACC is active.

It depends on what audio mode you have selected. In the stereo (2 channel), "Pure Direct" mode, MCACC is disabled (at least on most models). In the multi-channel audio (stream direct, a video mode) it may not be disabled (at least it isn't on my VSX-92TXH).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #915 of 5669 Old 11-25-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I reran my MCACC setup today following the steps outlined in the beginning of this thread. Then I level matched all my speakers using my SPL meter and this time I did it right to get 85 dB. The front stage was all very close already, only being 1-2 dB off. The surrounds and subwoofer were 3-4 off.

Steve

post #916 of 5669 Old 11-25-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ You don't really know which was "off", though. In particular, the subwoofer reading on most inexpensive SPL meters tends to be low, and the other channels could read differently just because the meter wasn't in the exact same spot, or its mic was oriented differently.

Still, your new settings should be fine. You can get variations like that by moving your head. I'm not suggesting that you should change them, only that there is no reason to assume that a typical home SPL meter is more accurate than MCACC.
post #917 of 5669 Old 11-30-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Question: having a very large room - 18 X 28 X 8 to 12 ft ceilings with a center ridge and just over 6000 cu ft. Also, there are 2 large openings on the left of the room to other parts of the house and both openings are 14 ft and 8 ft long. Now, haveing my HT setup in this room is there really any need to have the MCACC EQ on for audio? I can understand having it MCACC EQ on for a sealed normal sized room but for a room my size I don't think that the audio waves would bounce around that much. OR, just what settings would you use in this type of room? Never thought about all of this before, just accepted what MCACC did.

Bill
post #918 of 5669 Old 11-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Question: having a very large room - 18 X 28 X 8 to 12 ft ceilings with a center ridge and just over 6000 cu ft. Also, there are 2 large openings on the left of the room to other parts of the house and both openings are 14 ft and 8 ft long. Now, haveing my HT setup in this room is there really any need to have the MCACC EQ on for audio? I can understand having it MCACC EQ on for a sealed normal sized room but for a room my size I don't think that the audio waves would bounce around that much. OR, just what settings would you use in this type of room? Never thought about all of this before, just accepted what MCACC did.

Bill

YES!!! MCACC will work for any type of room configuration

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #919 of 5669 Old 11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

YES!!! MCACC will work for any type of room configuration

I know it works, just that is it neccesary for that large of a room?
post #920 of 5669 Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

wouldn't this be pretty easy to test?

the room isn't THAT large... and sound travels fast...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #921 of 5669 Old 11-30-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know it works, just that is it neccesary for that large of a room?

Run the MCACC setup as recommended in this thread. It takes about 20-30 minutes. Then you can compare the adjusted settings made by MCACC against having MCACC off and decide for yourself if you think it sounds better or not.

Steve

post #922 of 5669 Old 11-30-2009, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post

Run the MCACC setup as recommended in this thread. It takes about 20-30 minutes. Then you can compare the adjusted settings made by MCACC against having MCACC off and decide for yourself if you think it sounds better or not.

OK, I know how to run MCACC and how long it takes. My question to the group is: Do any of you use your Pio '94 without the EQ engaged in a large open room. Is there any real purpose to haveing MCACC running in a large 6000 + room? And if so, please explain the benefits to this. I had an installer come to my place and go thru the setup of a SMS-1 which I bought thru him at his price. He said that he always has his reciever settings with any room EQ off as it is wasted in a large open room. This is why I am asking the question.

Thanx, Bill
post #923 of 5669 Old 12-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
I think either the installer has an agenda, or you misunderstood his point.

Regardless, only you can answer your question. Run the eq, sit in your favorite chair, (I assume you optimize eq for this spot), listen to fav. music, then turn MCACC off and on while listening.

Which do you prefer?

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
post #924 of 5669 Old 12-03-2009, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So MCACC only uses (1) microphone location per preset? Can anyone with experience with both Audyssey and MCACC give their experiences?
post #925 of 5669 Old 12-03-2009, 03:07 PM

Can I change the crossover in the MCACC after running MCACC or do I have to run MCACC for every crossover setting I want to try?

TIA!

Adrian
post #926 of 5669 Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron_H View Post

So MCACC only uses (1) microphone location per preset? Can anyone with experience with both Audyssey and MCACC give their experiences?

MCACC can also do a multi-point analysis, with 3 microphone locations. I never used Audyssey, so I can't help with the 2nd part, sorry.

Dan.
post #927 of 5669 Old 12-05-2009, 04:36 PM

For some reason I cannot acces the above said menue nor the home menue. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
post #928 of 5669 Old 12-05-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

make sure that the little slider switch in the middle of the remote is set to "rcv" (all the way to the right)...

- chris

post #929 of 5669 Old 12-05-2009, 10:28 PM

Thanks for your reply dude. But I tried it in all three positions, RCV being the main one.
post #930 of 5669 Old 12-06-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:

MCACC can also do a multi-point analysis, with 3 microphone locations. I never used Audyssey, so I can't help with the 2nd part, sorry.

Dan.

But each mic location is only for one preset, right? So depending on where your listening position is in the room, you switch preset.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page