Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1081 of 5527 Old 03-03-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Posted this on another thread as well...hope I can get a few tips on this question...
...I just received my new, second sub yesterday (another HSU VTF2 MK3) and ran another MCACC. Aside from some of the settings that changed, which is kinda wierd since I didn't change any of the speakers or placement of them, I did notice a BIG decrease in dB for the sub. I have my first one setup at 9:00 on the volume (which was recommended by HSU) which gave me a perfect 0.0 in MCACC! I have the second one exactly the same...letting the 92 manage bass! When I looked in the MCACC settings for the new calibration in gave my sub a -7.0dB... I was told by Pat at HSU that a sub added to another will only gain a 3dB boost... So, is this okay? I was guessing it would of been -3.0 or somewhere like that but -7.0???

Never mind...talked with Pat at HSU and I got to tell you, those guys over there are great...real helpful and professional! I could either do three things but in the long run leaving it at -7.0dB is okay since the two together are way more effficent now..

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 5527 Old 03-05-2010, 05:01 AM

Sorry if i am covering old ground, but i have been through this thread and can`t find an anwser. I have had my SC-05 for awhile now and haven`t really got that far into MCACC. I`ve done the full auto, but not much more. I have made quite an upgrade over the last year and would really like to get into it more. At the start of the thread there is alot of reference to running auto in a "custom" mode. I can`t seem to find this option. Could someone please give an explanation of how to get to the custom feature? I also didn`t see any thing in the manual about it either, although i could have missed it.

Thanks
post #1083 of 5527 Old 03-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Something strange happened with my SC-05. I won't rule out the possibility that it was something I did but.....

Last night watching a movie I noticed the light was off on my subwoofer. I check it out, flip the auto-on switch to manual and it comes on but no sound.

Make a long story short, the speaker settings had all switched to large which basically cancelled all low signals to the sub.

The last thing I did was add the center channel C5 and re-did the MCACC full auto. I'm thinking that must have been where the change took place.

I will re-do the full auto and see what happens. I'm thinking that by adding the center speaker to the setup they must have all defaulted back to large and I missed it.

See My Setup Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."

post #1084 of 5527 Old 03-05-2010, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

it wouldn't be unusual for mcacc to set your speakers to "large" as part of the the auto-cal setup...

before you run it again, manually set the speakers to small and run mcacc with the "keep sp system" option...

alternatively, you can just run full auto and go back after it is done and manually change the speakers back to "small"...

hope that helps...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1085 of 5527 Old 03-05-2010, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply.

My only concern with resetting back to small after the setup is the system did it on purpose as part of the cal.. I'll look for the "keep speaker setting" option.

Mike

See My Setup Here

post #1086 of 5527 Old 03-05-2010, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

no need to be concerned...

mcacc is setting your speaker size based on the frequency response that it is "capable" of...

setting the speakers back to "small" will have no effect on the eq/etc...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #1087 of 5527 Old 03-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

no need to be concerned...

mcacc is setting your speaker size based on the frequency response that it is "capable" of...

setting the speakers back to "small" will have no effect on the eq/etc...

Great. I guess that indicates the Paradigm ceilings are quite capable!?

SA-15R L/RS
SA-15R-30 L/RRS

See My Setup Here

post #1088 of 5527 Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

i've never "confirmed" this, but my "guess" is that mcacc is setting the speaker size based on the -3db rolloff point...

so to it, a lot of speakers are "large"... of course, that doesn't mean they'll be "good" in the lower frequencies, just that they will produce them...

i/we have often said that it would make people's lives easier if it always defaulted to small... it would be less confusing that way...

- chris

post #1089 of 5527 Old 03-05-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Well..I did it anyway...I made sure my first sub was at the 0.0dB after MCACC and then turned it off and turned on the new sub where it is in position and ran MCACC untill I got the level at 0.0dB as well...then ran MCACC the last time with both subs on and got a -5.5dB on it which sounds okay! Now was that okay...in the way I did that to equal each sub and then run a final MCACC?

post #1090 of 5527 Old 03-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Liked: 12
Do you guys know if it is possible to run MCACC with only the front speakers enabled in full range (two channel music), save that to one of the memory slots, then run MCACC again with all speakers engaged (HT)?
post #1091 of 5527 Old 03-05-2010, 04:01 PM

Anyone ? Anyone?
post #1092 of 5527 Old 03-05-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal01 View Post

Anyone ? Anyone?

Is is on P 44 of the pdf manual - Select ‘Auto MCACC’ from the Advanced MCACC menu, then press ENTER. If the Advanced MCACC screen is not displayed, refer to Making receiver settings from the Advanced MCACC menu
on page 43.
2 Select the parameters you want to set.
Use / to select the item, then use / to set.
• Auto MCACC – The default is ALL (recommended),
but you can limit the system calibration to only one
setting (to save time) if you want.4 The available
options are ALL, Keep SP System,5 Speaker
Setting, Channel Level, Speaker Distance, EQ Pro.
& S-Wave and FULL BAND PHASE CTRL.

The above step is where you want to keep SP System.....does this make sense?

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #1093 of 5527 Old 03-05-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post

Do you guys know if it is possible to run MCACC with only the front speakers enabled in full range (two channel music), save that to one of the memory slots, then run MCACC again with all speakers engaged (HT)?

Thinking out loud so not 100% sure>
For two channel I would think you would want to unplug all the other speakers and let it do the auto setup. Then verify that it set the front speakers to large. Store this to one of the MCACC Settings(1-6).

Then hookup all the speakers and run it for HT. The key here would be to choose a different MCACC setting than the one stored above before you run the calibration so that you don't overwrite it. Store it and now you have a setting for Two Channel and one for HT.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #1094 of 5527 Old 03-05-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Is is on P 44 of the pdf manual - Select Auto MCACC' from the Advanced MCACC menu, then press ENTER. If the Advanced MCACC screen is not displayed, refer to Making receiver settings from the Advanced MCACC menu
on page 43.
2 Select the parameters you want to set.
Use / to select the item, then use / to set.
Auto MCACC - The default is ALL (recommended),
but you can limit the system calibration to only one
setting (to save time) if you want.4 The available
options are ALL, Keep SP System,5 Speaker
Setting, Channel Level, Speaker Distance, EQ Pro.
& S-Wave and FULL BAND PHASE CTRL.

The above step is where you want to keep SP System.....does this make sense?

Yes, THANK YOU, i`ll get into this weekend.
post #1095 of 5527 Old 03-06-2010, 06:09 AM
RCJ

Liked: 10
I have a question on MCACC that I need an answer to so my brain can be at rest.

1. Run Full Auto MCACC.
2. Change speakers to Small and run Auto MCACC with Keep SP Settings.

Question - Do I need to run Full Band Phase Control since when I ran Auto MCACC with Keep SP Settings Full Band Phose Control was not listed.

This may be a silly question but I want to make certain I'm not missing something.
post #1096 of 5527 Old 03-06-2010, 06:43 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Can someone please help me with this?

I ran MCACC "Auto", and selected THX speakers as I wanted the X-overs to be 80hz. Does this automatically give me the 3 presets for Symetry, All channel adjust, and front align? I'm asking because when I go through the 6 MCACC presets, 1-3 still have no names. Do I have to name them manually? I figured it would automatically assign and name the 1-3 presets.

Thanks!
post #1097 of 5527 Old 03-06-2010, 06:56 AM

IS it true or not that the MCACC don´t calibrate the subwoofer?, some friends says it do and others say it not, so wath is the true?.

Thanks.
post #1098 of 5527 Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

mcacc doesn't eq the subwoofer... it does set the trim level and distance...

- chris

post #1099 of 5527 Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 PM

Hi,
I need help with my Pioneer VSX-819H-K. Recently, when running on Dolby Direct, my center channel and sub seem to quick working. When I changed to an advanced surround feature such as "classical," the front speaker begins working but the sub still doesn't work. THe same thing happens when I run MCAAC. When I run it in an advanced surround mode and go through MCAAC, all works well (except the sub). When I try to run MCAAC with the surround in Dobly digital, I get an ERR FCH error.

Any ideas??
post #1100 of 5527 Old 03-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe someone in this thread can help me. I have been posting in the Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH thread about an issue I have been having: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...51483&page=102

Basically the issue is that unless MCACC is off, EQ is off, or I use Pure Direct, the vocals are very "bassy" for lack of a better word. Instead of nice crisp clear vocals I hear a lot of bass in the vocals, and it is more apparent at higher volume levels.

I'd like to avoid using direct or turning off MCACC, because even though the center channel sounds better, the overall sound in the room is worse (less bass, worse surround, etc.)

Any thoughts on what is causing this and how to fix it.
post #1101 of 5527 Old 03-08-2010, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by koach View Post

Any thoughts on what is causing this and how to fix it.

Too much bass. Turn down the bass.

I looked at your last posting in the other thread, and I see you found the answer -- lower bass EQ band. Alternatively, or in addition, you could turn down the crossover control on your sub.

Greg Lee
post #1102 of 5527 Old 03-08-2010, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the following calibration steps still good for the current models, like SC25. If not, is there another link that you guys can show me. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon1 View Post

The MCACC system is in just about all new Pioneer units, yet setup and tweaking questions are scattered throughout the AVSFORUM.
Since MCACC is a common feature, I have been given the go ahead to start an
OFFICIAL MCACC thread.
There is an "Audyssey" thread where common problems get answered by their "pro's" and I am hoping that those typical MCACC questions get asked and answered here since not every knowledgeable MCACC expert hits every Pioneer thread.

The advantage is that MCACC questions could be centrally located and those questions dont bog down the individual Pioneer model threads.

Here are a few links that may give very basic info on MCACC, if you have more, let me know to include them.
I dont know how to link words to the web address, but hope posting the links works ok.

Short definition of MCACC
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...s/Tuning/MCACC

Pioneer's description of what MCACC does, click on link to see their demonstration:
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/4.../AF_MCACC.html

Some info using Advanced MCACC and X-Curve for a particular unit that looked informative.
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/avrecei...er/index1.html

Pioneer has downloadable "MCACC Software Manuals" that give more information. For the time period (time delay), there is a complete section on that subject ("Deciding the time period for Advanced EQ Setup calibration") on page 19 in both manuals I looked over (2 pages).

The manuals can be found on this page: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Default

Some helpful hints contributed by "Gamelover360", the original posting is on page 3
Thanks Gamelover360 for your contribution.
"OK....This is what I feel I know about the proper work flow to get the most out of MCAAC after reading the receiver manual and the Advanvced MCAAC manual. This is also the work flow I plan to use this weekend when the wife gives me a few hours alone in the house.

Work Flow:

1) Set Reciever to MCAAC preset 1 (M1). Now Run Auto MCAAC with mic in you listening position (I taped the mic to the top of a two foot long shoe horn, and stuck the shoe horn inbetween the couch cushions, so the mic is right where my ears are during listening).

2) Go into Manual Sp Setup and change the SP settings if neccessary(crossover to 100hz for me and speakers to small)

3) Now re-run Auto MCAAC but select custom, and then select Keep SP settings. You will also be given the options to have MCAAC calibrate for symmetry, all ch adjust and front align. You may save each calibration to seperate presets or run just one of them, or run two of them. You will see these options after you select Keep Sp settings.

4) Now you have an Auto MCAAC calibration(s) saved to M1 (or to multiple presets if you chose more than one EQ calibration type in previous step: symmetry, front align, and all ch adjust) (....note: you must select which preset you want Auto MCAAC to save calibration data to before you enter the audio setup menu.) Now go into Data Management--------> Data Copy and copy M1's data to as many other free presets as you like.

5) Now go into Manual MCAAC--->EQ Professional------>Reverb Measurement and get a reading on the the frequency response characteristics of your room. Be sure to select EQ OFF(standing waves not controlled for via MCAAC fliters) in the Reverb Measurement menu because you don't want the standing wave adjustements (EQ on) to be factored in to the room reverb measurments. Also make sure you haven't moved the mic.

6) After test tones are done, go into Manual MCAAC--->EQ Professional------>Reverb View , and you can analyze the frequency response of individual channels at various frequencies. Based upon that data, you would select the appropriate capture delay time for MCAAC to capture data during for the upcoming EQ calibration.

Change that time frame under Manual MCAAC--->EQ Professional------>Advanced EQ Setup to whatever you decide is the appropriate capture delay time ....(Pioneer recommends 30-50 ms, but they encourage you to analyze the data under reverb view first and refer to the advanced MCAAc software manual for analysis purposes). Note: the default capture delay time is than 80-160 ms.

7) Change to the appropriate MCAAC preset before you run the new advanced EQ calibration with the new capture time. You choose which preset, but I would recommend a preset that is a carbon copy of an auto MCAAC calibration so that you can do an A-B comparison between auto EQ and advanced EQ. Go under Manual MCAAC--->EQ Professional------>Advanced EQ Setup to start the advanced EQ calibration, and MCAAC should make a more accurate calibration since it will now capture sonic information sooner after the speakers output sound, and get a read on what the frequency response is of the speakers themselves, and not the speakers and all the reverb which accumulates as time passes. (Default capture time is 80-160 ms and thus collects more reverb and less true speaker reading)

Now you should have an accurate calibration. Also, now you can easily compare the Auto MCAAC EQ effects that are stored in a preset with the advanced EQ effects in other presets while listening to content with a simple button press on the remote. You could also juice the base a few db in a preset, and also compare running the base a bit hot to a flat calibration that you have in other presets.

Advanced MCAAC Manual (especially read pages 18-20)

VSX-1018 owners manual (especially read pages 38-50)

If I am wrong about something (which is possible), let me know. I did this so that folks looking to get the most out of their equipment could better do that. The whole Auto MCAAC thing can be a bit confusing, so maybe you can benefit from my research and tinkering."

Note: Auto MCAAC select delay capture time based upon you rooom ,and I have no idea how it does this or how to know what it chose as a delay time. that is why I recommend using advanved EQ.
gamelover360 is offline Forward Message

Man see things as they were n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #1103 of 5527 Old 03-09-2010, 04:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yes.

- chris

post #1104 of 5527 Old 03-09-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
hi everyone, i just bought an older elite receiver (VSX43) from the local CL but it doesn't have the set up mic. do you know where i can buy one? thanks
post #1105 of 5527 Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 View Post

Is the following calibration steps still good for the current models, like SC25. If not, is there another link that you guys can show me. Thanks in advance.

Can this be done with the On-Board MCACC or is these instructions for using MCACC with a PC?

post #1106 of 5527 Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Can someone please analyze this graph for me. This was the measurement I got from my room. I'm just not sure how to read it.
LL
LL
LL
post #1107 of 5527 Old 03-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

The Manuals link no longer works.

See My Setup Here

post #1108 of 5527 Old 03-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Here's the link to "Detailled product informations" for all models, including MCACC manuals and software:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU.../A+V+Receivers

Dan.
post #1109 of 5527 Old 03-13-2010, 10:43 AM

I set SC_27 to small sp setting before using Auto MCACC. Checked it after the MCACC was completed and the sp were still set to small...but when watching a DVD last night, I noticed the blue light to the Velodyne sub was not on...I checked the speaker settings again and sure enough they had switched back to large. Any thoughts on why this is happening would be appreciated.
post #1110 of 5527 Old 03-15-2010, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

SC-05

Had a strange thing occur last night while watching FIOS SI FI.

A commercial came on that switched the receiver to stereo. All of a sudden the volume went ballistic and all I heard was distorted sounds. I dropped the volume back and it was ok. After that everything was ok. It was set on Auto Surround.

Anybody ever had that experience?

Mike

See My Setup Here

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page