12Likes

post #91 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
use 80 also

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think gamelover put a nice start this on the first to this guide. maybe we should put on page one and start vetting it out to see if everyone agrees.

that's my suggestion anyway.

Mike
post #93 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

Are you sure? See my work flow above and see if applies to you.

Not until it arrives Friday. Here is all the manual says:

"6. If you selected Reverb Measurement', select
Start' and press ENTER."

bob
post #94 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

how exactly will i know which timing to use?

If you read my length post above and read the pages of the manuals I pointed out, then I think that will clear it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #95 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post

I think gamelover put a nice start this on the first to this guide. maybe we should put on page one and start vetting it out to see if everyone agrees.

that's my suggestion anyway.

Mike

Say again, Mike?

bob
post #96 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you read my length post above and read the pages of the manuals I pointed out, then I think that will clear it up.

no it doesnt that is why i asked

post #97 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so why cant i just go in and set the timing, speaker distances, speaker settings to small 80hz, and speaker levels with spl and then run the auto with keep speakers settings?

also are you saying use the 30-50ms setting?

The manual recommends 30-50 ms, but strongly advises you to study the reverb measurements and see which basic behaviors they exhibit, and then use the setting that your results indicate. They have 3 types of behavior results to look for, and related delay settings to use.

You can do what you said above...kinda. The only thing is that Auto MCAAC is too generalized to allow you to run an EQ calibration with a custom delay time setting (ex. 30-50 ms). You could :

1) Run auto MCAAC
2) Manually Change Sp settings to small and 80 hz crossover
3) Re-run Auto MCAAC in Auto MCAAC custom mode and be sure to select the option "keep Sp settings"
4) Then go into Advanced EQ, change delay time to 30-50 ms, and run the EQ calibration. Running the Advanced EQ calibration WILL NOT change any of your other settings....only the EQ filters MCAAC applies. And in this case the main difference is that it will take frequency measurements earlier than how Auto MCAAC does it.

Auto MCAAC just doesn't want to confuse the average user with time delay options. The time delay option is something that is chosen by an advanced user based upon reverb data. So offering a time delay option in Auto MCAAC then requires the opening of a whole can of worms that doesn't fit with the idea of Auto MCAAC.

But to be clear, you can select a time delay from the advanced EQ menu and run a calibration without taking a single reverb measurement. Pioneer just recommends it so that you make the right setting.

post #98 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Advanced MCAAC Manual (especially read pages 18-20)

Hey man, do you know where to get this MCACC PC application? I can't find it so far on the Pio web sites...

Edit: Nevermind, it appears the USA versions of the 1018 don't have the capability to output to PC; the option isn't in the MCACC data menu, nor does it have an RS-232C connector on back. Bummer man, this MCACC application manual you pointed to specifically says 1018AH-K which is the version I have, but no RS-232, bummer.
post #99 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, so run auto mcacc. Then change speakers settings to small 80hz, get the speaker levels right also with spl meter? Then rerun the auto mcacc? My 91 is a little different, would I save to a new preset? Lets say run the first auto and save it to M1, and rerun and save it to M2? Also what behavior am I looking for to know exactly which time setting to use?

post #100 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoomer View Post

Hey man, do you know where to get this MCACC PC application? I can't find it so far on the Pio web sites...

Edit: Nevermind, it appears the USA versions of the 1018 don't have the capability to output to PC; the option isn't in the MCACC data menu, nor does it have an RS-232C connector on back. Bummer man, this MCACC application manual you pointed to specifically says 1018AH-K which is the version I have, but no RS-232, bummer.

I am sorry....but I live in Sweden and just posted the Advanced MCAAC manual thinking the US version was the same. I did some research about the differences and it seems that the EU version has a few advantages over the US version (150W per channel vs. 130W and different impedences..maybe even a little better amplifier) besides just the THX Select2 Plus certification. Well at least I am finally getting something a lil more for the EXTRA money we pay over here!

The sucky part about the PC interface is that it requires XP or Windows 2000.....I have Vista!

post #101 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok, so run auto mcacc. Then change speakers settings to small 80hz, get the speaker levels right also with spl meter? Then rerun the auto mcacc? My 91 is a little different, would I save to a new preset? Lets say run the first auto and save it to M1, and rerun and save it to M2? Also what behavior am I looking for to know exactly which time setting to use?

Don't save to a new preset, just re-run Auto MCAAC in custom mode and choose keep sp setting. Then copy M1 data to M2, and then you run reverb measurement, then look at reverb data, then run advanced EQ (where you can change delay time) using M2. Now you will have MCAAC's auto calibration in M1 and the advanced EQ cal in M2.

Also, re-read my original post. I know this stuff is confusing...for me as well. But I promise that after about 10 read throughs of the post or less...you will get it. I had to read the manual a LOT to get my brain around the bigger picture.

post #102 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't save to a new preset, just re-run Auto MCAAC in custom mode and choose keep sp setting. Then copy M1 data to M2, and then you run reverb measurement, then look at reverb data, then run advanced EQ (where you can change delay time) using M2. Now you will have MCAAC's auto calibration in M1 and the advanced EQ cal in M2.

Also, re-read my original post. I know this stuff is confusing...for me as well. But I promise that after about 10 read throughs of the post or less...you will get it. I had to read the manual a LOT to get my brain around the bigger picture.

so basically my custom rerun of the auto mcacc will be saved to M1 and the eq will be saved on M2? Does the M2 save have the same thing as the M1 but with the advanced eq?

post #103 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:

THX cinema is a proprietary sound processing mode, and is not the same as setting your speakers as THX certified speakers in the audio setup. THX cienema processing will not change your speaker settings as far as I know.

THX processing requires (and assumes) all speakers set to 80Hz cross over. It will change your speaker settings (I can hear the difference on my 92 when THX is applied). Older models may or maynot enforce this but you should know the result will not be optimal if speaker settings are different than it expects (also true if you don't have speakers with proper cross over designed for THX). See the link I provided.
post #104 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so basically my custom rerun of the auto mcacc will be saved to M1 and the eq will be saved on M2? Does the M2 save have the same thing as the M1 but with the advanced eq?

Yes. Advanced EQ only changes the EQ calibration....the last part that Auto MCAAc runs by the way.

post #105 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

ill try to run this when I get my RC64 up tomorrow and have a quiet house. lol

post #106 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Say again, Mike?

bob

DumbA__'s come in all shapes and si__. Well except for Pioneer Elite Owners!
post #107 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is it possibe to get and use a better quality microphone than what came with the SC-07. Maybe the mic is perfectly fine but it seems like a cheap piece compared to the microphone packaged with Yamaha and Onkyo receivers; mine isn't even threaded on the botton of the base for use with a tri-pod.
post #108 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoomer View Post

Just an fyi,
the VSX-01TXH units on up thru the range do have RS232 connectors.
post #109 of 5569 Old 01-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So, no version MCACC does subwoofer multi-band equalization? If true, this sucks, because the low frequencies are what benefit most from equalization. Audessey *does* EQ the subwoofer, at high resolution. Is it the only reciever Auto-EQ system that does?

I really like my old Pioneer 1014TX, and would like to upgrade to another Pioneer, but I need something that can EQ my future IB sub.
post #110 of 5569 Old 01-28-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolly View Post

Is it possibe to get and use a better quality microphone than what came with the SC-07. Maybe the mic is perfectly fine but it seems like a cheap piece compared to the microphone packaged with Yamaha and Onkyo receivers; mine isn't even threaded on the botton of the base for use with a tri-pod.

I have a VELODYNE DD microphone. IS it possible to use it for MCACC ?

What is the quality of Pioneer's microphone, it look cheap but....

IVAN222
post #111 of 5569 Old 01-28-2009, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVAN222 View Post

Is it possible to use an other microphone with the MCACC?

I like MCACC especially the phase control, but I think than the microphone of the VELODYNE DD can be better.
I never read on AVS forum something about that.

Ivan222

Soooo, did the Velodyne do any better?
post #112 of 5569 Old 01-28-2009, 05:13 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

So, no version MCACC does subwoofer multi-band equalization?

I am afraid so

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #113 of 5569 Old 01-28-2009, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I am afraid so

Goshdurnit. Thanks Gov. Off I go to Onkyo. Bleh.
post #114 of 5569 Old 01-28-2009, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a onkyo with audyssey before this pioneer elite. Audyssey does not to the job you think with the sub. sometimes it boost frequencies it shouldnt and lower others. good luck.

Quote:

meant to tell you gamelover, I found on my 91 last night that the 30-50ms was already set as the timing. This must be the default. I never changed it, so when I ran the auto setup for my last speakers, it was already set that way.

post #115 of 5569 Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Please don't discount Pioneer because of this. It does do standing wave calibration which I think helps the lower frequencies a bit.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #116 of 5569 Old 01-28-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sub calibration isn't something that's really effective in ANY AVR that I'm aware of (regardless of whether they use Audyssey or MCACC....and, I've used both, in different AVRs).

The only "good" way to do this is with some outboard subw EQ.

Or, you can try it with the "old tech" way and shove your sub around to different locations and use something like AVIA and an SPL meter to take readings.

Tedious, but that's the way I do it. Mine sounds good. But, I could do better by using an outboard EQ program.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #117 of 5569 Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, no version MCACC does subwoofer multi-band equalization? If true, this sucks, because the low frequencies are what benefit most from equalization. Audessey *does* EQ the subwoofer, at high resolution. Is it the only reciever Auto-EQ system that does?

I really like my old Pioneer 1014TX, and would like to upgrade to another Pioneer, but I need something that can EQ my future IB sub.

I think the newer ones do a phase correction on the sub. Looks like a parametric EQ?

bob
post #118 of 5569 Old 01-28-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:

You can buy a sub that does its own EQ. I know some Velodyne subs do this.
post #119 of 5569 Old 01-28-2009, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. Advanced EQ only changes the EQ calibration....the last part that Auto MCAAc runs by the way.

Can you do each channel separately?

I'm looking at the graphs for each channel/freq. and they vary a lot.

If not, do we pick an average measurement time? How so?

thx

bob
post #120 of 5569 Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a onkyo with audyssey before this pioneer elite. Audyssey does not to the job you think with the sub. sometimes it boost frequencies it shouldnt and lower others. good luck.

meant to tell you gamelover, I found on my 91 last night that the 30-50ms was already set as the timing. This must be the default. I never changed it, so when I ran the auto setup for my last speakers, it was already set that way.

I think....think.....that the delay time under advanced EQ only applies to running the advanced EQ calibration and NOT to the Auto cal. Auto cal. selects the best delay time for you somehow or another, but I don't know how, and I don't know how to find out what it chose. Play it safe and run the advanced EQ cal with delay time set after running auto MCAAC

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page