Playstation Bluray audio out for an Onkyo 806 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a little confused on the proper setup for Audio. My BD player is an PS3 and my receiver is an Onkyo 806. If I hit select on the controller for my playstation I can get it to show the Dolby TruHD or DTS MA codecs but the receiver doesn't detect it... It seems to sound best if I set the 806 to THX Cinema but I was wondering what's going on.. The PS3 has 2 audio modes, LPCM and Bitsream.

So, what settings on the PS3 and Onkyo are going to get me the best sound, and would anyone mind explaining the difference between bitstream and LPCM?

I have both audio and video going through HDMI 1.3 cables. If I would do better using a digital audio out let me know that too.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 PM

Liked: 11
I wanna know too
post #3 of 6 Old 01-24-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Your PS3 needs to be set to Linear PCM and NOT bitstream. Your PS3 can decode all advanced lossless compressed audio formats like Dolby True HD, DTS-HD-HR and DTS-HD-Ma into the uncompressed PCM format. This uncompressed Linear PCM format can be carried using HDMI cable to your receiver. Your receiver will detect this format as multi channel PCM. Your receiver will not know what the original lossless compressed format was. All it knows is that it is uncompressed PCM. And there is no difference!

So, just make sure your receiver detects 5.1 or 7.1 PCM and even without applying any processing such as THX audio, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, etc, you should get signal from at least 5.1 if not 7.1 speakers.

And don't worry about the Dolby True HD or DTS-HD-Ma formats showing up on the receiver. As long as the PS3 info shows that it is using the DTS-HD-Ma or Dolby TrueHD, that is all you need to make sure.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-26-2009, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We need a stickey for this at the top of these forums.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-31-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Your PS3 needs to be set to Linear PCM and NOT bitstream. Your PS3 can decode all advanced lossless compressed audio formats like Dolby True HD, DTS-HD-HR and DTS-HD-Ma into the uncompressed PCM format. This uncompressed Linear PCM format can be carried using HDMI cable to your receiver. Your receiver will detect this format as multi channel PCM. Your receiver will not know what the original lossless compressed format was. All it knows is that it is uncompressed PCM. And there is no difference!

So, just make sure your receiver detects 5.1 or 7.1 PCM and even without applying any processing such as THX audio, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, etc, you should get signal from at least 5.1 if not 7.1 speakers.

And don't worry about the Dolby True HD or DTS-HD-Ma formats showing up on the receiver. As long as the PS3 info shows that it is using the DTS-HD-Ma or Dolby TrueHD, that is all you need to make sure.

Just recently purchased the ps3 for playing bluray, so I am just now getting to know all the settings and things. Can you explain where to set it to Linear PCM, Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page