post #2641 of 2642 Old 04-29-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTS View Post

OK. Then I have a challenge for you. I have a set of speakers that are famously hard to drive. Further investigation finds that these hard to drive speakers actually have an impedance dip in the 50-100 Hz range that goes down to around 2 ohms although they are nominally rated at 8 ohms. You have to choose from one of two amps. One amp is rated at 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms, 200 watts per channel at 4 ohms and 305 watts per channel at 2 ohms. The other amp is rated at 125 watts per channel at 8 ohms and 165 watts per channel at 6 ohms with no 4 ohm rating available.

Which amp would best drive these notoriously difficult speakers and why?

Depending on your preferences for listening loudness and the spectral content of the music or drama you are listening to, it might not make any difference at all. In general running an amp at say 6 dB below clipping cuts the current drain enough so that you could drive a speaker with half the impedance if the speaker were causing current limiting at clipping. Most amplifiers clip first due to running out of internal voltage supply, not current limiting. Voltage clipping is in general less disturbing to listen to than current limiting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2642 Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Depending on your preferences for listening loudness and the spectral content of the music or drama you are listening to, it might not make any difference at all. In general running an amp at say 6 dB below clipping cuts the current drain enough so that you could drive a speaker with half the impedance if the speaker were causing current limiting at clipping. Most amplifiers clip first due to running out of internal voltage supply, not current limiting. Voltage clipping is in general less disturbing to listen to than current limiting.

I have questioned that, if only because of looking at Yamaha amp circuits. I have seen rails of 70V. No way that's going to clip unless the rails sag a lot. And I figured if the rails sagged it was, putting it non technically, due to current limiting. I could certainly be wrong.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page