Optical Audio Problems with Pioneer VSX-816 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After two years of owning it, my Pioneer VSX-816 has developed a problem with the center channel cutting out intermittently. Sometimes I can crank the volume up to a LOUD level (briefly and then turn back down) and the problem is fixed. If not, turning the receiver power on and off usually fixes it. Sometimes I have to unplug the RCA cables from the back of the receiver or jiggle them and that fixes it - sometimes.

So, I gave up and bought a digital optical cable from Monosource and connected it from my Dish DVR and saw a nice little red light coming out of the other end of the cable. Then I connected it to the TV/Sat Optical In port on the back of the receiver.

I made sure I selected TV/Sat. I got a great picture, but no audio! I switched the audio selection on the Pioneer VSX-816 to Digital, then Auto, then Analog, and still no sound.

I have two cables, so I tried them both. Still nothing. I even tried hooking up my dvd player with the same cable - switching the input to TV/Sat...and no sound.

Please help me before I jump off the roof - or better, throw my Pioneer VSX-816 off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-07-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

OK, please please, anyone?
post #3 of 6 Old 02-07-2009, 08:26 PM

Liked: 15
Are you sure that optical input is assigned to that input? Read the manual.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I've solved one problem with the VSX-816 by getting the optical input assigned to the correct input (thanks Chris Wiggles!).

But I still have the problem with the center channel cutting out intermittently. Sometimes I can crank the volume up to a LOUD level (briefly and then turn back down) and the problem is fixed. If not, turning the receiver power on and off usually fixes it. Sometimes I have to unplug the RCA cables from the back of the receiver or jiggle them and that fixes it - sometimes.

If there is a short (?), how can I fix this? I'm really regretting buying a Pioneer!
post #5 of 6 Old 02-17-2009, 09:43 AM

bcmoseley

I had the same type of problem with my Integra 7, when I used the optical cable I had problems with my front L/R It sounded as if half of my power would go to the other speaker. I would also have to turn the volume up and then back down. I was ready to take it back to the service shop, when I had the idea to try a coaxial digital cable. So far this has solved all my problems. If you have a coaxial digital input I would try that. In my opinion the coaxial is a much better option.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-04-2011, 01:06 PM

I had the same center channel dropout problem. Others reported similar speaker dropout problems on another thread and reported success with re-soldering speaker relays. I posted my experience at:

avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1068233
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page