Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-09-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well,

I think I am leaning towards the Marantz 6003 receiver as my first HDMI receiver.

I have ruled out Onkyo/Integra - but are there any others I should DEFINITELY consider before making the purchase?

I read the whole Marantz thread and it seems like a no-brainer...is it?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-09-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post

Well,

I think I am leaning towards the Marantz 6003 receiver as my first HDMI receiver.

I have ruled out Onkyo/Integra - but are there any others I should DEFINITELY consider before making the purchase?

I read the whole Marantz thread and it seems like a no-brainer...is it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Speakers and source equipment will get you more help. May be enough of a receiver or maybe not enough.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 PM

I too practically bled my eyes from all the reading I did here to research 3 AV recievers (the Onkyo TX-SR876, Denon AVR-2809ci, and Marantz SR6003).

From all the posts I've read here, and in various reviews, here is what I have concluded:

Onkyo;
-- the video processor is the newest and best of the three and has a plethora of adjustment capabilities
-- 140watts x 7 is tremendous, though some reviewers say this number is a bit overstated (it will still rock your house like never before)
-- unit is BIG and HEAVY (50lbs), and makes a LOT of heat, most likely due to the video conversion circuitry as well as the amp. If you don't have a lot of open airspace ABOVE the 7-5/8" tall unit, it may not be a wise choice.
-- the sound isn't as detailed or "spatial" as the Denon or Marantz, but is still rated as very very good, better than most.

Denon;
-- extremely flexible in configuration possibilities
-- beefy amp produces a bench tested 100 watts with all 7 channels driven
-- nearly all reviews I've read of it claim an exceptionally detailed sound
-- Denon quality is arguably second to none
-- runs relatively cool
-- on screen display/menu is ridiculously cheap looking (like old Atari games)

Marantz;
-- best sound of the three (even though it's made in China), incredibly detailed and produces a deep three dimensional soundstage
-- most agree the exterior design is beautiful and extremely solid
-- though rated at only 100w x 7, easily pushes sound past the 100db level, where pain in the ears can occur.
-- video up conversion is very good with the least amount of reported problems by users
-- runs rool even after running it hard
-- bass notes seem more pronounced and hard hitting of the three
-- built in circuitry to "crisp up" MP3 compressed music files (best improvement with 128bit files versus higher rates)

So it seems that each has it's advantages over the others and it will depend on what you are looking for in a reciever.

Myself? I am leaning strongly towards the 6003 as well, though I could easily pick the Denon too!
post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I unpacked my 6003 tonite and decided to do a little wiring makeover behind my stand beforehand so I sat down with the manual to familiarize myself with this beauty.

Coming from a SR5500, I'm appreciating all the connections like three components in/1 out, 3 HDMI's in/2 out, the DC trigger (have an external amp) the USB port (which will have a flash drive plugged in playing MP'3's) and numerous others.
Set up is a little frightening as I'm not familiar w/Audyssey or anything BD.
But I'll manage.

P.S. Just wanted to mention I like the beefy weight of this unit and the fact Marantz gives you an even beefier power cord....both those aspects may not matter to some but I like to think it matters.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-09-2009, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback. I think I am leaning to the Marantz as well.

I haven't really found any drawbacks except the lack of 4 HDMI ins.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Honestly though, I think any of the three recievers will be plenty more satisfaction for most, and all are well worth the money spent on them.

What knocked the Onkyo out of my consideration was that my entertainment center shelf was 8" tall making the tall Onkyo barely fit, risking overheating.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page