Looking for flush mount audio jack to put on desk - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 02-09-2009, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
jbsjbs's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have audio coming out of a distribution system to a 1/8" female audio extension cable that ends on my desk. I plug in my headphones when I'd like to watch the TV without disturbing my office-mate (my wife).

I am hoping to "dress it up" a bit. What I had in mind was a nice metal audio jack that I can mount through the wood surface of the the desk. I'm thinking perhaps something where I could drill a 1/4" ~ 3/8" hole in the wood, feed the barrel through from underneath and screw a small flange on the top surface to cover the hole. Then add a dab of hot glue inside to keep it in place.

I could also imagine an extension cable with the flange already in place, and I just pass the entire thing down through the hole.

I'd prefer to find something that's an actual audio extension cable, i.e. the other end is a male 1/8" plug, that way there's no soldering or connections in the vicinity of the new desk plug.

So, a fairly specific request I know. Any ideas on where I might look for something like that? Thanks in advance for any advice.


P.S. I know I could just take a regular audio extension cable, drill a hole the same size and push/pound it through. But without the flange to make it look "finished" I'm reluctant to deface the desk (which I really like). So if I can't find something like this, I'll probably just file it away and wait till someone makes what I'm looking for.
jbsjbs is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 02-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member
PsychoM3's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Have not seen exactly what you are looking for but why not do what you have in your PS section... hear me out.

Get the extension cable with the 1/8" female jack, drill the hole exopy it in with the plastic part flush with the desk, leaving the metal jack just proud of the surface, get a metal washer whose inside diameter matches the outside diameter of the metal portion of the jack, spray paint it a pleasing, either matching or contrasting color and glue it around the jack.

You could do something very similar with a wooden bung (plug) though it would require a drill press to mount the jack into the bung and some decent finishing skills. Actually this could be really cool if you used an oversized bung in a contrasting wood but does require a fair amount of woodworking skill.

Another cool approach which is what I would do but I have a full woodshop about 150 ft from my chair is flip the desk or remove the top and drill a hole in the desk from the bottom with a forstner bit (the size of the outside of the female jack) and stop when the point just breaks through the desk top, the point should leave a perfect hole for the metal upper portion of the jack to sit either level or almost level with the desk surface. Then just fine tune the fit with a standard bit or an exacto knife and glue the jack in place.

Anyone of these three approaches properly executed would yeild better results than any sort of flush mount audio jacks (if you can find a female 3.5mm) I have seen. They tend to just be utilitarian metal chunks.
PsychoM3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off