Speaker outputs to a 3.5mm wireless transmitter input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-16-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony receiver that has an a/b selector on it and I'd like to get a wireless speaker system, connect it to the 'b' speaker outputs, and use it to send audio to speakers in my kitchen and bathroom.

The major question I have is with regard to connecting the wireless transmitter to the 'b' speaker output. The transmitter's input is a 3.5mm mini jack, and I want to connect it to a speaker jack. At first I thought it would be as simple as cutting off the RCA ends of an RCA-3.5mm female converter, then stripping the casing back and hooking the wires directly into the speaker outputs (on both the right and left). I've also seen speaker wire to 3.5mm male converters made, and just getting a m-m 3.5mm adapter would work as well.

So, first of all, is that plausible without blowing out the transmitter? Since its input is a 3.5mm mini jack, my assumption is that it may not handle that much power very well. I'm fine with figuring out the wiring, just want to see what people with more electrical knowledge thought about it before I caught something on fire.

If it's not possible, any suggestions on how to make it work? Is there something like a reverse amp that will sap the power out of the speaker lines so that the wireless transmitter would be able to handle the signal?

For what it's worth, I'm looking at the Audio Unlimited Wireless Speakers (SPK-VELO-001).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-16-2009, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
You need to get a speaker-to-line level converter. These are common in automotive audio shops and internet electronics sites and not expensive. This will reduce the power/voltage from your speaker level output to the levels that this transmitter can handle. You may have to add additional adapters for the physical connection.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page