Parasound Owners Thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #2971 of 3618 Old 02-18-2014, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had the 205/1. They sounded fantastic but wanted to try the LS50's since I heard so many great reviews. I will be eventually upgrading to Kef 207/2 or Paradigm S8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3618 Old 02-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Did you try lowering it to be sure?

yes
audiofan1 likes this.

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
post #2973 of 3618 Old 02-18-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Can someone tell me how hot the Parasound JC1 will run when idle? Curious if this would be a good choice for a rack mounted option if two have to mounted in a rack. It is a modestly well ventilated rack but no fans.

Blazar!
post #2974 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Thanks for all the kind replies

after reading AVS for so long, with most saying there is no difference in the sound of amps, I am pleasantly surprised how good the A51 sounds: definitely better than previous Outlaw 7500

Now I am thinking about replacing the 8801 in hopes of a similar improvement in sound quality, but I think the improvements, if any, will be more marginal: I am looking at the Krell Foundation or the new Classe processor (not out yet) but am open to other suggestions.

rest of my system consists of OPPO 105, Kaleidescape Cinema One system ( two Cinema One's and Vault), Tivo Roamio, Direct TV, Marantz NA7004, and Furman Reference series power conditioner: display is Sharp Elite 70. Control system is RTI / iPads
post #2975 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Now I am thinking about replacing the 8801 in hopes of a similar improvement in sound quality, but I think the improvements, if any, will be more marginal: I am looking at the Krell Foundation or the new Classe processor (not out yet) but am open to other suggestions.

The Bryston SP3 is supposed to be fantastic and Arcam is coming out with a new processor, the 950. And McIntosh has the MX121 and the MX151.

What's your price range?
post #2976 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

The Bryston SP3 is supposed to be fantastic and Arcam is coming out with a new processor, the 950. And McIntosh has the MX121 and the MX151.

What's your price range?

I thought for pure cenematic experience the 8801 is pretty hard to beat when paired to the Halo. I have the 8801 matched to a few A21s and is thinking to add JC2bp for the stereo music listening. I felt using a dedicated stereo pre is better than using AVP of any brand/price range for serious music listening. Of course this could be just me smile.gif
post #2977 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Mark, we miss you over on the Denon AVP A1HD thread: Buy another one and come back to the party.smile.gif

Will
post #2978 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all the kind replies

after reading AVS for so long, with most saying there is no difference in the sound of amps, I am pleasantly surprised how good the A51 sounds: definitely better than previous Outlaw 7500

rest of my system consists of OPPO 105, Kaleidescape Cinema One system ( two Cinema One's and Vault), Tivo Roamio, Direct TV, Marantz NA7004, and Furman Reference series power conditioner: display is Sharp Elite 70. Control system is RTI / iPads

Rich also has a similar setup using the A51 and 8801. I was also thinking of the 3005 before Rich told me that he felt the A51 sounds sweeter in the mid and high over the 3005. Of course his deciding factor is because the 3005 is singing "hum o hum" in his setup smile.gif
post #2979 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi4Hobby View Post

Rich also has a similar setup using the A51 and 8801. I was also thinking of the 3005 before Rich told me that he felt the A51 sounds sweeter in the mid and high over the 3005. Of course his deciding factor is because the 3005 is singing "hum o hum" in his setup smile.gif

I am thrilled with the A51, but to be fair, I never had the 3005 and A51 at the same time but my impression of the two was very similar. The A51 is clean adds nothing I can hear and drives low impedance loads with difficult phase angles without a problem.

My only issue with the ATI was transformer hum, which other owners do not have.
My wife was pleased too since she prefers the more refined appearance of the A51 over the Outlaw and ATI.

I compared the A51 with a used (over 5 year old) Outlaw 7500 and I feel the A51 was more dynamic and open driving the Salons.

The A51 is a fantastic amp.

- Rich

EDIT: Actually, it was Dave Vaughn who got me to take a look at the A51. Thanks Dave tongue.gifsmile.gif
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #2980 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The thought of XLR locked into its own socket is comforting and the absent of it is at time worrying whenever you have some cabling changes/movement behind the rack. Such ocassion usually mean a check on all the XLRs at the A21s input to ensure they are well inserted.

The binding posts though is more like giving "feel" to the ownership of something really special and especially if its even color coded to the body color as well. But i do find the binding posts spaced too near to each other and can potentially short out if one is to use spades as connection. For the simple reason of safety I opted for banana plugs. Is it just me that has such a "concern"?

Personally i think even banana plugs and binding posts in general are stupid.

neutrik speakon connectors rule... i wish all brands used them, not just pro-amps.

Blazar!
post #2981 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Personally i think even banana plugs and binding posts in general are stupid.

neutrik speakon connectors rule... i wish all brands used them, not just pro-amps.

That would be a wish list comes true!!

But i think being a manufacturer, they need to consider the eco-system in which they are operating within. Some call it the rule of the game perhaps. Building a product says an amp with all the professional connectors and selling it to the consumers there might exist many unforeseen factors such as the lack of cables matching to use on this brand's amp pulling the consumer off the thought of buying simply because his banana plugs and rca interconnect cannot be retro fitted from his older amp to this new one and/or the lack of choice of cables from the list of cable manufacturers.

Well, ultimately the sound is all that matters isnt it? smile.gif
post #2982 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I am thrilled with the A51, but to be fair, I never had the 3005 and A51 at the same time but my impression of the two was very similar. The A51 is clean adds nothing I can hear and drives low impedance loads with difficult phase angles without a problem.

My wife was pleased too since she prefers the more refined appearance of the A51 over the Outlaw and ATI.

I compared the A51 with a used (over 5 year old) Outlaw 7500 and I feel the A51 was more dynamic and open driving the Salons.

- Rich

EDIT: Actually, it was Dave Vaughn who got me to take a look at the A51. Thanks Dave tongue.gifsmile.gif

And its you who pointed me to Parasound, thanks Rich!! wink.gif
post #2983 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be a wish list comes true!!

But i think being a manufacturer, they need to consider the eco-system in which they are operating within. Some call it the rule of the game perhaps. Building a product says an amp with all the professional connectors and selling it to the consumers there might exist many unforeseen factors such as the lack of cables matching to use on this brand's amp pulling the consumer off the thought of buying simply because his banana plugs and rca interconnect cannot be retro fitted from his older amp to this new one and/or the lack of choice of cables from the list of cable manufacturers.

Well, ultimately the sound is all that matters isnt it? smile.gif

I think it would occur if they felt consumers cared about thee features.

It's the same reason most microwave ovens dont have a simple chip to get the time / date off wifi networks or cell networks. They dont think this is a feature consumers compare when buying a box to nuke their cheese sandwich.

Implementing new technology has lagged behind the invention of technology for quite some time now.

Where is the multi-genre and multi-artist delimiting with ';' or '&' in itunes? This is not a new invention but obviously consumers aren't asking in droves to have this problem solved.

If I owned a consumer electronics company, I would assign a team to constantly troll forums like these and steal all the great ideas. AVS is a great resource for manufacturers since on average I bet we spend 10x on equipment than than the general consumer so we represent the market they want to sell to if possible. The rest of consumers are just sheep anyway in comparison.

Blazar!
post #2984 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

And its you who pointed me to Parasound, thanks Rich!! wink.gif

Your welcome.

You can't make a safer recommendation than a Parasound amp smile.gif

- Rich
Hifi4Hobby likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #2985 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 01:49 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

I think it would occur if they felt consumers cared about thee features.

It's the same reason most microwave ovens dont have a simple chip to get the time / date off wifi networks or cell networks. They dont think this is a feature consumers compare when buying a box to nuke their cheese sandwich.

Implementing new technology has lagged behind the invention of technology for quite some time now.

Where is the multi-genre and multi-artist delimiting with ';' or '&' in itunes? This is not a new invention but obviously consumers aren't asking in droves to have this problem solved.

If I owned a consumer electronics company, I would assign a team to constantly troll forums like these and steal all the great ideas. AVS is a great resource for manufacturers since on average I bet we spend 10x on equipment than than the general consumer so we represent the market they want to sell to if possible. The rest of consumers are just sheep anyway in comparison.

FYI
I read every posting... that is except for power cable debate postings smile.gif Anything noteworthy goes right to Richard S. and the product development team. let the suggestions fly. We are listening.
feistyacorn likes this.

Chris
Parasound Products Inc.
2250 Mckinnon Ave.
San Francisco CA 94124
415-397-7100
post #2986 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFWarrior View Post

FYI
I read every posting... that is except for power cable debate postings smile.gif Anything noteworthy goes right to Richard S. and the product development team. let the suggestions fly. We are listening.

Oh what company?

Blazar!
post #2987 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Oh what company?

Parasound Products Inc.
cool.gif

Chris
Parasound Products Inc.
2250 Mckinnon Ave.
San Francisco CA 94124
415-397-7100
post #2988 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Parasound Products Inc.
cool.gif

Awesome, Could you comment on how much audible hiss the JC1 produces when hooked up to 105db sensitivity speakers? I could probably run these in low bias mode (cooler).

Blazar!
post #2989 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Can someone tell me how hot the Parasound JC1 will run when idle? Curious if this would be a good choice for a rack mounted option if two have to mounted in a rack. It is a modestly well ventilated rack but no fans.

250 watts idle, it get's pretty hot.
post #2990 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Awesome, Could you comment on how much audible hiss the JC1 produces when hooked up to 105db sensitivity speakers? I could probably run these in low bias mode (cooler).
JC 1's & 105 dB sensitivity speakers.. You must like very loud music.
I cant comment specifically on that topic but I encourage you to call our tech department in the morning and try your question there.

Chris
Parasound Products Inc.
2250 Mckinnon Ave.
San Francisco CA 94124
415-397-7100
post #2991 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JC 1's & 105 dB sensitivity speakers.. You must like very loud music.
I cant comment specifically on that topic but I encourage you to call our tech department in the morning and try your question there.

Well it's not the high volume that is impressive with spherical horns (although they do get loud if you want). Spherical horns simply have some of the most impressive soundstage and imaging of any speakers. You need extremely good "first watt" performance out of an amp since this amp would be running at under 5 watts most of the time.

Blazar!
post #2992 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the JC1 a dual differential and fully balanced design? I plan on running it with XLR inputs and generally running in Class A. Really I imagine that I will be running most of the time in Class A at under 10 watts.

Blazar!
post #2993 of 3618 Old 02-19-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

FYI

A future product suggestion then:)

How about a JC2 BP with sub outs? I have the p5 now and love the specs of the JC but I run dual subs with music and movies. I also could do without the built in DAC of the P5.

this would appeal to many folks especially considering you are selling a ton of p5's probably due to the feature set. Adding the features of the p5 and sonic qualities of the JC would make it the ultimate preamp!
post #2994 of 3618 Old 02-20-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:

FYI

In today hifi world many gears are equipped with XLR output so it doesnt really make sense that the JC2 has only 2 XLR input and now with the "bp" model, it supposed to incorporate a av processor into the loop but if you have a UDP, DAC and AVP All with XLR output, how can the JC2bp cope with it? (Ouch..dont tell me get a XLR y splitter or even a outbox XLR input selector).
post #2995 of 3618 Old 02-20-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In today hifi world many gears are equipped with XLR output so it doesnt really make sense that the JC2 has only 2 XLR input and now with the "bp" model, it supposed to incorporate a av processor into the loop but if you have a UDP, DAC and AVP All with XLR output, how can the JC2bp cope with it? (Ouch..dont tell me get a XLR y splitter or even a outbox XLR input selector).

I agree 100%, we need to be able to accomplish bass management with sub EQ.

2.4 audio capability is what I seek.

Blazar!
post #2996 of 3618 Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 AM

That would sound so great with 4 seaton submersives biggrin.gif

post #2997 of 3618 Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It would have been nice if the Halo P5 had stereo bass instead of mono bass. I'm also a believer in distributed bass so the more "x" in 2.x the better, IMO.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
post #2998 of 3618 Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
How about a multichannel JC, say JC5 or JC7 with bass management? A step above the P7.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #2999 of 3618 Old 02-20-2014, 12:08 PM

Thank you for all of the thoughtful suggestions. Like I said, I will pass these on to the powers that be. Keep posting ideas and suggestions. It seems like a good way to get folks engaged in the thread.

Chris
Parasound Products Inc.
2250 Mckinnon Ave.
San Francisco CA 94124
415-397-7100
post #3000 of 3618 Old 02-20-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

- Rich

No problem Rich. Funny story though...the other night I'm at my kid's orchestra concert and I run into my old salesman that used to sell me AV gear at Good Guys and we start to talk audio. He knew I had always wanted to buy Halo amps and asked me if I ever ended up buying them--he could tell from the grin on my face that the answer was yes biggrin.gif

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page