Parasound Owners Thread - Page 109 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #3241 of 3553 Old 03-25-2014, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello. I'm in need of some advice on whether it is possible to integrate a Halo JC2 BP into my environment and still be able to use a subwoofer.

I am currently using Oppo BDP-105 -> Stereo XLR -> Halo P7 -> Halo JC1 (FL,FR) + Halo A31 (C, SL, SR) + Paradigm Sub 12

The P7 gives me a 2.1 setup for 2CH listening and also serves duty in bypass mode for my Home Theater via an Onkyo PR-SC5509.

The JC2 BP would replace the P7 for 2CH listening if I can figure out a way to get a 2.1CH setup.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3553 Old 03-25-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhikski View Post

Hello. I'm in need of some advice on whether it is possible to integrate a Halo JC2 BP into my environment and still be able to use a subwoofer.

I am currently using Oppo BDP-105 -> Stereo XLR -> Halo P7 -> Halo JC1 (FL,FR) + Halo A31 (C, SL, SR) + Paradigm Sub 12

The P7 gives me a 2.1 setup for 2CH listening and also serves duty in bypass mode for my Home Theater via an Onkyo PR-SC5509.

The JC2 BP would replace the P7 for 2CH listening if I can figure out a way to get a 2.1CH setup.

I'm pretty sure you can, but I strongly recommend you talk to Parasound about it. They are very good at customer service, and at the level of price/performance you're at, it would be silly not to go right to the source.

Dave

post #3243 of 3553 Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

I doubt it since the JC2 BP lacks a sub input or a sub output.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3244 of 3553 Old 03-25-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:

The main question should be...will there be any improvement from the P7 ~ JC2. Might only be minor, if any.
Especially, considering the P7 has the advantage of having a sub connection, which is what you need.
post #3245 of 3553 Old 03-25-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

The main question should be...will there be any improvement from the P7 ~ JC2. Might only be minor, if any.
Especially, considering the P7 has the advantage of having a sub connection, which is what you need.
I think that depends on how resolving the rest of your system. I have not heard either, but a contact who's input I respect suggested the JC2 is a notable step above the P7. For most systems the difference may be small and the loss of subwoofer integration may even be a step down in overall SQ.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #3246 of 3553 Old 03-25-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I think that depends on how resolving the rest of your system. I have not heard either, but a contact who's input I respect suggested the JC2 is a notable step above the P7. For most systems the difference may be small and the loss of subwoofer integration may even be a step down in overall SQ.

I agree. I picked the JC2 BP up at a price I couldn't resist though which is why I'm in this dilemma! But its not a bad one to be in.

I told Richard Schram my setup and he thought the difference between the JC2 (BP) and the P7 would not be subtle.

I thought I might be able to run the other channels via my PrePro and play the game of adjusting the volume controls on that and the JC2 (BP), but the volume control on the JC2 (BP) is not repeatable.

.... thanks everyone else for your replies by the way.

James
post #3247 of 3553 Old 03-25-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:

Quote:

I agree. I picked the JC2 BP up at a price I couldn't resist though which is why I'm in this dilemma! But its not a bad one to be in.

I told Richard Schram my setup and he thought the difference between the JC2 (BP) and the P7 would not be subtle.

I thought I might be able to run the other channels via my PrePro and play the game of adjusting the volume controls on that and the JC2 (BP), but the volume control on the JC2 (BP) is not repeatable.

.... thanks everyone else for your replies by the way.

James

I do have the P7, never heard the JC2. But if Richard says there is a difference, then I suspect there is.
I know the P7 is the best pre-amp I've ever owned.
If it was me, and just had to use the JC2, I would want full range mains, being there is no sub connection.
On the other hand, you can connect the sub via the speaker level out. That is how it was done 4 decades ago.

In the BP condition, the JC2's volume control is not used. The PrePro/AVR controls the sound.
With my P7, I have two MC inputs. One is for DVD-A and the P7 is controlling. But for the HTBP, the AVR is controlling.
post #3248 of 3553 Old 03-25-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

My hope is that someday parasound will offer a JC2 with sub control like the P5;). Hint hint!
post #3249 of 3553 Old 03-25-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

My hope is that someday parasound will offer a JC2 with sub control like the P5;). Hint hint!
Or JC5 or JC7!

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #3250 of 3553 Old 03-25-2014, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
PARASOUND Halo A21 purchase, to complete PARASOUND 9.2 home theater surround system UPDATE:

Our PARASOUND Halo A21 arrived and was installed on March 25, 2014. A dear friend had given me a beautiful pair of Ethereal EP-XLR22 XLR cables to connect the A21 to our ONKYO PR-SC5508.

With the addition of the Halo A21 to our Halo A51 and Halo A23, the last piece of the PARASOUND 9.2 puzzle was complete. Once all nine channels were properly connected and speaker wires reattached (I am so thankful for banana plugs!) I immediately ran the ONKYO Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 program and then spent the last two days putting the surround set up and two-channel audio through its paces; watching audio demo scenes from a wide-ranging multitude of Blu-ray movies (SKYFALL, Super 8, Oblivion, Prometheus to name a few and listening to a variety of audio recordings Conclusions and observations:

1) Although our Halo 7.2 surround system was already outstanding; the addition of the Halo A21 to exclusively power our L+R Definitive Technology 7001sc front main speakers made a tremendous change and improvement in the sonic dynamics of the system, especially the front sound stage. Not only did the Halo A21 provide additional clarity, crisper “fine detail” (I literally heard new information and fine, nuanced detail that I hadn’t heard before) and tight resounding bass, the A21 also appeared to sonically expand the width and depth of the front sound stage. All of these observations held true whether listening to movie audio or two-channel stereo recordings.
2) Adding the Halo A21 allowed me to assign our Halo A51 the task of powering the center channel, the Definitive Technology BPVX L+R side surrounds and BPVX L+R rear surrounds (the new BPVX rear surrounds became the two additional speakers added for 9.2); the Halo A23 continues powering our L+R Def Tech BPV front-height ambient speakers to the upper left and right of our 100 inch STEWERT Firehawk SST tab-tensioned Electriscreen. The addition of the two rear surrounds now completely envelops the audience in matched and balanced sound from all directions. This difference was immediately apparent in everything from the sound of rain, aircraft flying, cars driving, bullets whizzing, people moving by in any and every direction. There are no longer any sonic “blind spots” in the room and the PARASOUND Halo system sounds nothing short of superlative.
3) A special word concerning the Halo A21: What led me to buy a PARASOUND Halo A51 and A23 power amps in the first place was spending over 6 hours at dealers store comparing, "A/B”ing various power amps using a multitude of recordings and Blu-rays, CD's and vinyl I had brought with me. Some of the amps from your "competition" in the test cost upwards of $20,000 plus.

As I listened to the various multitude of power amps they had on speakers costing between $8,000 to $30,000, the benchmark for that comparison quickly became the PARASOUND Halo A21. I am going to be perfectly honest, I knew about BRYSTON, Macintosh, Class, Krell and a number of the other brands they had but I had never heard of PARASOUND and didn't know anything about them. This ended up being a very good thing because I was coming into the test as an unbiased listener concerning PARASOUND.

As I "A/Bd" the various power amps against the A21 I fell in love with it because it sounded just as good, and in many cases much better than everything else in the store and I ultimately chose the Halo A21. It ended up taking first place, no matter the cost because it was just that good

Well, as much as I LOVED the Halo A21, I needed a multi-channel power amp for our set up and in talking to you, along with others at PARASOUND regarding their sonic qualities compared to the A21 I ended up purchasing our Halo A51 and A23 sight unseen or unheard solely based upon the exceptional performance of the Halo A21.

Although we thoroughly enjoyed our existing multi-channel PARASOUND audio set up, I have always, constantly been drawn back to my listening/audition experience and the superlative performance of the Halo A21. Over the last six-plus years I hoped one day to have the extra funds necessary to purchase a new Halo A21 to exclusively power our front L+R channels for 2 channel audio. So when the opportunity came to sell our loved, pristine 33 year-old Technics RS1700 reel to reel to Jeff at J-corder: http://www.j-corder.com/ I jumped at the chance and took the proceeds of the sale to finally realize this dream. At last I have the Halo A21 power amp that "blew away" the competition, introduced me to PARASOUND in the first place and turned me into a diehard PARASOUND supporter.

PARASOUND takes pride in the quality and sonic consistency of everything they produce and their “customer service is second to none! They genuinely care about their customers before and even AFTER point of sale. Thanks to PARASOUND’s president: Mr. Richard Schram and everyone at PARASOUND; our new Halo A21 lived up to my memory and expectations in spades!

If you are in the market for an outstanding power amp, pre-amp or other piece of audiophile gear in every sense of the word; I would strongly encourage you to check out PARASOUND Halo for yourself! No, I am not a “paid spokesperson”; I am a SATISFIED CUSTOMER... something of a rare commodity in today’s audio/video landscape.
RichB likes this.
post #3251 of 3553 Old 03-25-2014, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Isn't the A21 the 2-ch version of the A51 5-ch? By your sound description of the A21, one would think you were describing the difference between a pair of JC1s and the A51. I wouldn't dispute that the A21 may sound a little better than the A51 in 2-ch music specially with revealing speakers, but to be able to hear a marked difference on movie soundtracks, I'm not so sure. Perhaps you may have really sensitive hearing. As a prior owner of the A51 and JC1s, I will say that for the money, Parasound amps are a great value. They are very musical and would make any owner proud of owning them. To say the A21 is the benchmark of amps costing up to $20K may be over stretching it because a pair of monoblock JC1s at $9k would obliterate the A21 in sound quality. As they say, to each their own and at the end of the day, the pocketbook and budget speaks loudly on what you end up with.
post #3252 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
All I can tell you is what I heard. As for my hearing, I am very fortunate in that regard. You are probably right about the PARASOUND monoblocks, but they were unavailable for my A/B tests at the time.

You are also correct on paper regarding the A51 and A21 but we have owned our A51 for over six years and I am intimately acquainted with everything I demoed once our new Halo A21 was installed and everything I observed. was true. Don't ask me to explain it because in all honesty I can't but it was there and evident in both two channel and in movie sound tracks. An excellent example of the latter was the audio on SKYFALL and Prometheus. I had watched/listened to both movies at least a dozen times each because both soundtracks are diverse, richly layered sonically and exceptionally well mastered. Once the Halo A21 was in place there was a unique difference as listed in my observations above. Why? How? I do not know, but it was there and contrary to your statement that one couldn't hear a difference on a movie soundtrack, I did and in testing a number of other films after posting, I observed the same results to a higher or lower degree based upon the quality of the soundtrack. and the mix.

The same held true for 2 channel audio. I have listened to Eric Clapton's "Unplugged" CD so often I have lost count. There is one song: "San Francisco Bay Blues" that employs kazoos and wind chimes. The presence and sound of their razzing/buzzing was refined and uniquely distinct as never before and the chimes seemed to airily shimmer and float in the sound stage as the musician gently brushed his hand across them. These are just two distinct differences I noticed.
post #3253 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshanok View Post

Isn't the A21 the 2-ch version of the A51 5-ch? By your sound description of the A21, one would think you were describing the difference between a pair of JC1s and the A51. I wouldn't dispute that the A21 may sound a little better than the A51 in 2-ch music specially with revealing speakers, but to be able to hear a marked difference on movie soundtracks, I'm not so sure. Perhaps you may have really sensitive hearing. As a prior owner of the A51 and JC1s, I will say that for the money, Parasound amps are a great value. They are very musical and would make any owner proud of owning them. To say the A21 is the benchmark of amps costing up to $20K may be over stretching it because a pair of monoblock JC1s at $9k would obliterate the A21 in sound quality. As they say, to each their own and at the end of the day, the pocketbook and budget speaks loudly on what you end up with.

Keep in mind the JC1's and A21 are John Curl designs and while I have no doubt the JC1's have the edge in power and some better parts , but obliterating the A21 ( especially using silver fuses as JC himself recommends) is hard thing for any amp under 20K tongue.gif

As a disclaimer , I still want some JC1"s biggrin.gif
post #3254 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

From what I have been able to glean, you would need to spend north of $20K to have a "chance" of besting the JC1s. Is there a pattern here?

post #3255 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Keep in mind the JC1's and A21 are John Curl designs and while I have no doubt the JC1's have the edge in power and some better parts , but obliterating the A21 ( especially using silver fuses as JC himself recommends) is hard thing for any amp under 20K tongue.gif

As a disclaimer , I still want some JC1"s biggrin.gif

Which fuses, I might actually give them a try. Do you have a link by chance?

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #3256 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 AM

Liked: 10
^

post #3257 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 09:38 AM

Curious to find out from Parasound owners on what are your suggestions on a good set of speakers to match with A21? I currently have MA Silvers purchased a while ago which I think is the bottleneck in my system.

post #3258 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdream View Post

Curious to find out from Parasound owners on what are your suggestions on a good set of speakers to match with A21? I currently have MA Silvers purchased a while ago which I think is the bottleneck in my system.
Wow, that is an open ended question! biggrin.gif What budget, how big of room, just music or HT also, what genres of music do you listen to as key to answering that. Kef, Revel, certain B&W, and Salk might be great choices.

post #3259 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Wow, that is an open ended question! biggrin.gif What budget, how big of room, just music or HT also, what genres of music do you listen to as key to answering that. Kef, Revel, certain B&W, and Salk might be great choices.

I saw that one coming biggrin.gif. Lets say < $10k. The business case I need to build is that these are the last speakers I will buy in this lifetime. wink.gif. They will be for music + ht. music type: is all around rock, pop, Contemporary instrumental etc.

post #3260 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

I saw that one coming biggrin.gif. Lets say < $10k. The business case I need to build is that these are the last speakers I will buy in this lifetime. wink.gif. They will be for music + ht. music type: is all around rock, pop, Contemporary instrumental etc.

When faced with that decision in 2001, my choice was the Revel Salons.
Clearly outside the price range, but 13 years later, I have no desire to upgrade. smile.gif

Include the Focal Electra and Revel F208's and I am sure there are others as well.
Also, there are non-local dealer buying options for Revels that can dramatically bring down the price.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3261 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Which fuses, I might actually give them a try. Do you have a link by chance?

I installed a Hi Fi Tuning SilverStar from Music Direct about 3 yrs ago to good effect but being the sceptic that I Am ,I first did a recommended tweak which was to use a little Caig Pro Gold on the already good ceramic fuse on the main power. A simple polishing of the ends and fuse & holder till nice and shinny! I was shocked to say the least.
I was now ready and fully convinced an impact from this critical link to give it a shot and consider the $50 spent a no brainer for the level of refinement that was produced from the same amp! if you decide to give it ago be sure to power down wait 5 mins and use a phillips screwdriver to check the value of the fuse as its not the same as the manual, mine was T 15 Amp . smile.gif

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-395-hifi-tuning-fuses-silverstar-large-slow.aspx
post #3262 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Around that price range Revel Studio2, Kef Reference 205/2, B&W802D2, & Salk Soundscape 8. For less Revel F208, B&W CM10, Kef R700/900, and Salk Veracity ST. I have only heard Studio2, 205/2 and R700 in the above list and know they work well for your music choices as we are somewhat similar.
RichB likes this.

post #3263 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I auditioned a bunch of stuff and loved Legacy Audio but bought Vienna Acoustics. The Legacy Audios needed more space than I have but would be awesome for rock and HT. The VAs just sound musical.

I'm driving my VAs with an A52.
post #3264 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I own M&K, which are excellent for movies and "good enough for me" for music. But if you're really into music, you really can't go wrong with Revel....they sound outstanding!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #3265 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 05:04 PM

Liked: 14
Friends, I am looking for a Parasound A21 for my MA PL100 front speakers.
It comes set to 110v. I read in the manual that procedure to change voltage to 220v is a simple fuse change and some jumpers inside it.
Is it really that easy?
Does someone have pictures of this or a step-by-step guide on how to do it?
Thanks a lot.

Sorry for bad english...
post #3266 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 05:09 PM

Liked: 21
Hey Dave I love M&K speakers! They are the speakers that started this addiction for me:). After I heard them I was sold and started purchasing my first system.

post #3267 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I love my speakers, a lot! I just reviewed the S300s for an upcoming issue and they're very impressive too, but expensive. Much larger enclosure, they can play extremely loud without breaking a sweat, and improve the midrange versus my S150s. If I didn't have a kid going off to college in the fall, they wouldn't have left my home!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #3268 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 05:46 PM

Liked: 21
I cant wait to read it. I have always loved those monitors. If I ever do a dedicated theater Ill look at the s3000's. You hear so much in the soundtracks.

post #3269 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

For the M&K fans I wonder when Kreisel Sound (Ken Kreisel) is going to bring his speaker line to the US. He has his subs but the speakers are only in Europe that I am aware. I have heard (read actually) that they are awesome for home theater but still pretty strong for music. Dave, it would be cool if you could try out the Q125s. FWIW, my first and long time center channel was a MK satellite speaker. Very neutral and like 400 watt power handling in a small package. Still have it.

post #3270 of 3553 Old 03-26-2014, 07:43 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View PostI own M&K, which are excellent for movies and "good enough for me" for music. But if you're really into music, you really can't go wrong with Revel....they sound outstanding!

Cool which ones, the new M&Ks look really cool.

B&W and KEF also sound very nice!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page