KB1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan00 View Post

KB1:

Sorry to hear about your hum problem. I sure do not want to make you feel any worse, but I just got a P7 and A51. I can not hear any hum or anything, dead quite. I hate to hear about your troubles. I am sure if you keep working on it you will find the problem.

Thx I appreciate the feedback, it is important for me to know what to expect so this is very useful. I'll keep at it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 3812 Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Two months ago I purchased two Parasound Halo power amps to go with a new ONKYO PR-SC5507p pre-processor that I was waiting to buy once it FINALLY got released earlier this month.

I made my Parasound buying decision based upon the overwhelming positive feedback and advice I received from Parasound owners here on AVS, demoing the Halo line, positive professional reviews, and most importantly, based upon the exceptional customer service I received from Parasound, Inc. BEFORE my purchase.

Well, since purchasing my Parasound amps, the professional staff at Parasound have gone out of their way to answer all of my questions and have gone above and beyond the call of duty in rectifying an issue that developed with one of the Halo amps AFTER the sale was completed and I was finally able to connect it to the new ONKYO pre-pro..

If anyone here on AVS is looking for an outstanding sounding power amp to couple with their high-end preamp or pre-processor, I would strongly encourage you to seriously consider purchasing a Parasound Halo power amp (or other Parasound product). Not only do they sound spectacular (Don't take my word for it, audition them yourself. They also have the professional reviews to prove it), I have personally found that the fine folks, at Parasond, from the president of the company on down, stand behind what they sell and genuinely care about their customers.

This level of customer service and commitment within the A/V equipment community is rare.
post #303 of 3812 Old 12-22-2009, 01:29 PM
KB1

Hi Guys, I really need some advice

I have an A51 and have tried for weeks to troubleshoot a buzzing noise coming from my speakers (pls see my previous posts). I can hear the buzz from about a foot away. It is not a ground loop as I disconnected everything (except the speakers) from the A51 and even turned off all the other circuit breakers in the house to see if it made a difference. The buzzing noise never went away; it does not really go up in intensity (unless I crank the amp up to 0 db) and cannot be heard once I play music or a movie. I called Parasound and I was told that given the power of the amp, the noise is acceptable and even normal especially with sensitive speakers (mine are 91 db efficient). My major concern is that something could be seriously wrong with the amp and I will have more problems later. I basically have another two days before I can't return the unit anymore and have to make a decision. Despite what the Parasound tech person told me, what perplexes me is that I have an A21/P3 combo in a different room with similarly rated speakers with an almost zero noise floor. It also seems that other forums participants have no noise whatsoever coming out of their A51s, what do you guys think? Thanks for any feedback, I am not a happy camper
post #304 of 3812 Old 12-22-2009, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1 View Post

...what do you guys think? Thanks for any feedback, I am not a happy camper…

If you are not happy you should return/exchange it.
post #305 of 3812 Old 12-22-2009, 02:21 PM
KB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghause View Post

If you are not happy you should return/exchange it.

But is this noise floor typical? Sorry, just trying to figure out if I'm expecting too much out of the unit.
post #306 of 3812 Old 12-22-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:

But is this noise floor typical? Sorry, just trying to figure out if I'm expecting too much out of the unit.

I had the A52 and it was very quiet with no audible hum/buzz unless my ear was right up to the speaker grille. I respect Parasound products and their service but at the cost of the A51 I would expect it to be dead quiet.

I had a Sherbourn 72100A and it had audible transformer hum from the amp even when it was in standby. I called Sherbourn and they said it was normal because the amp had seven seperate transformers. I sold the amp not long after that.

I would not hesitate to return the A51 and maybe try something different.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #307 of 3812 Old 12-22-2009, 02:51 PM
KB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I had the A52 and it was very quiet with no audible hum/buzz unless my ear was right up to the speaker grille. I respect Parasound products and their service but at the cost of the A51 I would expect it to be dead quiet.

I had a Sherbourn 72100A and it had audible transformer hum from the amp even when it was in standby. I called Sherbourn and they said it was normal because the amp had seven seperate transformers. I sold the amp not long after that.

I would not hesitate to return the A51 and maybe try something different.

Bill

Thanks Bill, you're right, at that price, the unit should be dead quiet...I'll call the dealer tomorrow, no point continuing to agonize over this...thank you.
post #308 of 3812 Old 12-22-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

Hi Guys, I really need some advice

I have an A51 and have tried for weeks to troubleshoot a buzzing noise coming from my speakers (pls see my previous posts). I can hear the buzz from about a foot away. It is not a ground loop as I disconnected everything (except the speakers) from the A51 and even turned off all the other circuit breakers in the house to see if it made a difference. The buzzing noise never went away; it does not really go up in intensity (unless I crank the amp up to 0 db) and cannot be heard once I play music or a movie. I called Parasound and I was told that given the power of the amp, the noise is acceptable and even normal especially with sensitive speakers (mine are 91 db efficient). My major concern is that something could be seriously wrong with the amp and I will have more problems later. I basically have another two days before I can't return the unit anymore and have to make a decision. Despite what the Parasound tech person told me, what perplexes me is that I have an A21/P3 combo in a different room with similarly rated speakers with an almost zero noise floor. It also seems that other forums participants have no noise whatsoever coming out of their A51s, what do you guys think? Thanks for any feedback, I am not a happy camper

Hello,
Have you tried lifting the ground by using a cheater plug? While I know some people are bothered by this, it often does the trick.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #309 of 3812 Old 12-22-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I think they have a ground lift switch.

Dave

post #310 of 3812 Old 12-22-2009, 05:31 PM
KB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

I think they have a ground lift switch.

Yeah, I had tried that but it had no impact, thanks.

Anyway I ended up talking to Richard later today at Parasound. He was, as always, extremely nice and spent a ton of time with me on the phone going over my issues. Looks like the noise floor (audible from about a foot away) is about to be expected given the sensitivity of my speakers. Maybe I also have some dirty power going into the house, who knows. Given that my main concern (possible defective unit) seems unlikely and I don't hear the noise from my listening position, I'll keep it. Everything else about the unit is terrific and it's too much of a hassle to exchange it for what will most likely yield the same result. Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments and trying to help. Happy Holidays.
post #311 of 3812 Old 12-23-2009, 08:50 AM

Im a new owner of 5125 model , can't wait to set it up with Viennas ..... ill report back with the results.
post #312 of 3812 Old 12-23-2009, 08:51 AM

Audiodork-- i see you in Sarasota as well ..... good to see some locals here ......
post #313 of 3812 Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have been using parasound A21 and A51 amps in my setup for around 2 years now. Bought them used off audiogon/ebay for killer prices. The amps are dead quiet and I can't be more happier. Excellent amps.
post #314 of 3812 Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu2xlc View Post

Audiodork-- i see you in Sarasota as well ..... good to see some locals here ......

Hello,
There are a number of Sarasotans here on AVS. Very cool. Congrats on your acquisition of the 5125. It is a very nice amplifier which should serve you well for years. What kind of speakers are you hooking up to your Parasound?
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #315 of 3812 Old 12-23-2009, 11:01 AM

i have Vienna for front and center , surround i have PSB , i will have few pictures of my setup soon in picture thread . would like to see your setup if you have any pic .
post #316 of 3812 Old 12-26-2009, 04:41 PM

few shots of the amp
day and night shot....

post #317 of 3812 Old 12-26-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
anyone using the c1/c2 internal dac to stream music to from a pc? if so how do you like it? have you compared to other external dac's?
post #318 of 3812 Old 12-27-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

Funny you mention the PSB imagine towers... we are currently looking at them as well as a handful of other speakers to list to to bring as new line our store and i was very impressed As far as the Halo line i have the A21, A23 JC1's and A51, P3 and JC2's to go side by side... i will admit the A21 is kinda a hard to beat amp... the A23 is great... just not a critical listening amp... i would def. go for the A21 of the JC1's! The A21 especially has like unlimited head room... it seems to me like it has more gut... i just have personally never sold much in the A23... but that's just me too... the A21 seems to be very precise in imagine and sound staging as well too... In fact to kinda give you an idea the A21 is running my front speakers in the theater room and the A51 is doing the center and the rears... if that gives you some insight.

I know you're a dealer and perhaps you have the system set up this way so customers can hear the A21, but I'm curious as to why you have the A21 in the system with the A51 since you're doing 5.1...according to the specs, with the exception of the Interchannel Crosstalk (the A21 is 2dB better @ 1 kHz), the two amps are identical.

I know that specs don't tell the whole story, but considering these amps share the same pedigree, is the A21 significantly better for 2-channel listening?

ChrisG
Seattle, WA
post #319 of 3812 Old 01-11-2010, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=7ryder;17794354]I know you're a dealer and perhaps you have the system set up this way so customers can hear the A21, but I'm curious as to why you have the A21 in the system with the A51 since you're doing 5.1...according to the specs, with the exception of the Interchannel Crosstalk (the A21 is 2dB better @ 1 kHz), the two amps are identical.

I know that specs don't tell the whole story, but considering these amps share the same pedigree, is the A21 significantly better for 2-channel listening?[/The A21 has more amperage.... giving the A21 more finesse and to me a more realistic sound...

Sorry it took so long been gone a while! Been busy

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida
www.premieracousticlifestyles.com
see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
post #320 of 3812 Old 01-11-2010, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am waiting on word as to what was shown and an official date on the B3, JC3, C3 and the new Z series stuff once i find out i will post it K?

Brad Bossman
post #321 of 3812 Old 01-11-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
anyone know of a good parasound repair service like the carver guys have?

My 1200mk2 crapped out and I would like to see if it can be repaired.
post #322 of 3812 Old 01-11-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post

anyone know of a good parasound repair service like the carver guys have?

My 1200mk2 crapped out and I would like to see if it can be repaired.

i would send it to Parasound... they are great at handling older units as well
Talk to Tony got their number? PM me if you need to or drop me a call my line is always open
615-799-8002

Brad Bossman
post #323 of 3812 Old 01-11-2010, 04:00 PM

[quote=pal1982;17901791]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder View Post

I know you're a dealer and perhaps you have the system set up this way so customers can hear the A21, but I'm curious as to why you have the A21 in the system with the A51 since you're doing 5.1...according to the specs, with the exception of the Interchannel Crosstalk (the A21 is 2dB better @ 1 kHz), the two amps are identical.

I know that specs don't tell the whole story, but considering these amps share the same pedigree, is the A21 significantly better for 2-channel listening?[/The A21 has more amperage.... giving the A21 more finesse and to me a more realistic sound...

Sorry it took so long been gone a while! Been busy

Thanks for the reply. Since I posted I bought an A51 and it is a great amp and it sounds great. Regarding the A21 vs the A51, I think I noticed the amperage difference after I posted. Given this, I know I'm really going to like the JC-1 monoblocks I have coming!

ChrisG
Seattle, WA
post #324 of 3812 Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 PM

hi
i need some help .my denon 4308 is not able to drive the 4 ohm load of snell c7s( it got fried and i had to get it repaired) .i am looking for a power amp to drive them using the denon as a pre/ pro for the snells.i have narrowed down to parasound new classic 2250 or the a21. i would prefer the cheaper 2250. will it be able to drive the c7s? i need some urgent advice please.
thanks
himadri_m is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
post #325 of 3812 Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by himadri_m View Post

hi
i need some help .my denon 4308 is not able to drive the 4 ohm load of snell c7s( it got fried and i had to get it repaired) .i am looking for a power amp to drive them using the denon as a pre/ pro for the snells.i have narrowed down to parasound new classic 2250 or the a21. i would prefer the cheaper 2250. will it be able to drive the c7s? i need some urgent advice please.
thanks
himadri_m is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

The 2250 should work just fine, I was using a 2205 to drive a pair of towers that had an impedance dip well below 4u between 80~250 htz.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
post #326 of 3812 Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 AM

Thanks john
after getting fried once i was really worried ,as where i live i dont have localparasound dealers to test the rig.
himadri
post #327 of 3812 Old 01-21-2010, 06:45 AM

john
by 2205 do you mean the multichannel hca2205? i checked , the hca2205 delivers more current than the 2250 (60 amps vs 45 amps). is that a problem?
thanks
himadri
post #328 of 3812 Old 01-21-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

john
by 2205 do you mean the multichannel hca2205? i checked , the hca2205 delivers more current than the 2250 (60 amps vs 45 amps). is that a problem?
thanks
himadri

The more current, the better.
Yes, the HCA2205A

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
post #329 of 3812 Old 01-21-2010, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

john
thanks
himadri

You've come to the right place... the NC2250 is a really nice piece and will sound great but your looking for something with the best sound, the highest amperage and the overall best preformance that will leave you smiling for years on end do the A21!
The short and short is the 2250 will make you happy and suit what ya need but the A21 is by FAR the most popular here at our showroom!
Nice speakers too
What kind of cables?

Brad Bossman
post #330 of 3812 Old 01-21-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 384
I am considering the purchase of a Parasound 5250 and thought I find out what other owners here think of this amp. It would be hooked up to my Anthem AVM20 processor and ADS L1290 series 2 speakers (L&R) and NHT center/surrounds.

I am concerned about some posts where owners experienced buzzing from their speakers (especially the one that said Parasound indicated it was normal).

Any help/suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page