Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #3541 of 3557 Old 06-28-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 163
It doesn't hurt to check on the fuse. Unplug the power, get a Phillips screwdriver and check on the fuse that is top of the power cord plug.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3557 Old 06-29-2014, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
It doesn't hurt to check on the fuse. Unplug the power, get a Phillips screwdriver and check on the fuse that is top of the power cord plug.
Will do, Enrico, thanks. But isn't a blown fuse usually an indicator of a more deep-seated problem? My understanding is that a fuse should last many years and at least the life of the product.
post #3543 of 3557 Old 06-29-2014, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A blown fuse may well be a sign of an internal problem, but there's always a chance that a replacement fuse may solve the problem and the amp may carry on working perfectly for many years to come. Just make sure you replace any fuse with one of the correct rating. Fuses can fail for no apparent reason.
post #3544 of 3557 Old 06-29-2014, 02:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I recently has a fuse go and since then (month and a half) I have not had a single issue. Of course knock on wood now but it has worked perfectly fine. This one always seemed to be (I have two A51 blacks) a little skittish. Now I have two reliable black beauties. Amazing how one little fuse can make or break an AMP!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #3545 of 3557 Old 06-29-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalfox View Post
Can anyone help? My HCA-2003 just suddenly decided not to turn on. No standby or green operation light. Would it be as simple as a fuse or something more serious? I would appreciate any responses, particularly if this is something I can test for before taking the unit into a service center. Thanks!

Contact Parasound tech support via email.
You never know, they might even answer today

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3546 of 3557 Old 06-29-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Contact Parasound tech support via email.
You never know, they might even answer today

- Rich
Yes, actually I just shot Tony an e-mail last night, so hopefully I'll hear soon. I will also just swap out a fuse anyway and see if there's a result with that. Thanks for all your suggestions.
post #3547 of 3557 Old 06-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Jmouse007 

....... That is why the overwhelming majority of major motion picture studios, recording companies and primere Hollywood directors have chosen PARASOUND over everything else on the market.....

Where did you see that?
Simple answer: It is listed in writing on their web page aong with the names of nearly every, if not all, of the major motion picture studios in Hollywood! Needless to say, Parasound Halo amps and Parasound has an outstanding reputation throughout the motion picture and recording industry. These folks can afford to buy anything... They have chosen Parasound, which speaks volumes concerning the sound quality of their products verses the competition.
post #3548 of 3557 Old 06-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Jmouse, what preamp do you recommend pairing with the A21? I have a pure 2-channel system, and am thinking of upgrading from a Rotel amp and preamp to Halos. I am thinking A21 with the JC 2 (it's hard for me to justify two JC 1's instead of the A21, although the JC 2 seems to state how it's made to be paired with JC 1's). Thanks.
I would highly recommend the Onkyo PRSC 5509 preamp.

I have owned the Onkyo 5507, and then moved to the 5508. The 5508 has been rock solid, not one problem. I went with the 5508 because it has the updated Audyssey XT32 room correction. I couldn't believe how much better it is than the previous version on the 5507. Well, both the Onkyo PRSC 5508 and the 5509 have the Audessey XT32 BUT, Onkyo has foolishly dropped Audessey from their next generation of preamps so I can not recommend you buy it. Wait for the 5509 to go on sale and be one of the fortunate few. IF, you "must have" Atmos... Then go with Denon's next generation preamp. It will cost a lot more than the new Onkyo preamp with Atmos BUT, and here is where Onkyo shot themselves in the face, not only does the Denon have Atmos, it ALSO retains Audessey XT32 room correction!

If Onkyo wants to remain competitive they will need to bite the bullet and return Audessey XT32 or better in their next Gen preamp because the 1 calibration system they are now going with doesn't cut it. They dropped Audessey as a cost cutting feature because they would have needed to ad an additional processor to keep it, like Denon has done. They were unwilling to do so and as a result, many, including myself are predicting their sales will plummet (I certainly won't be buying one because Audessey XT32 is outstanding and I am not willing to give that feature ( found on the 5509) up.

As for "Atmos"... I am not going to rush to jump on that band wagon... It may just be a gimmick to drum up lagging A/V sales. I already have a tremendous sounding 9.2 surround Home Theater. With Atmos you literally have to relocate your existing speaker set up (front-height ambient speakers don't work properly with Atmos) and add additional speakers to the ceiling! No thanks... I will wait for that to all shake out. "early adopters" with money to burn can be the ginny pigs.

Also, DTS is coming out with a new audio processor code mix... Again, I will sit that one out until it all shakes out.

Now the one thing that the 5509 doesn't do is 4K. But the simple answer to that is to get a Bluray player like the OPPO 103, 105 or Sony BDPS790, with two HDMI outs and run the audio to your 5509 and the 4K video directly to your 4K projector or TV. This is the route most on aVS are taking until the standards for HDMI 2.0 (and beyond) are finally and firmly established. Otherwise you end up, like those poor saps who bought the Sony 1,000 4K projector for $25,000 dollars who later found their 4k projectors were already obsolete because they couldn't play native 4k movies! They had to spend an additional nearly THREE GRAND in order to "upgrade" their 4k projectors to play native 4k,
which they were enitially promised they could do in written advertising in the first place!

So, wait until 4k and HDMI 2.0 (and beyond = 2.1, 2.2...) standards are finally agreed upon AND working/functioning properly in the real world before jumping on a "4K 'ready'" preamp and stick with what works. And what works is the feature laden Onkyo PRSC 5509.

For what it is worth, that is my advice. Hope it proves helpful.
post #3549 of 3557 Old 06-29-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Thanks, Jmouse, but I am only interested in a 2-channel preamp (the 5509 looks like a 9.2 AVR). I saw on the Onkyo website that they do make a 2-channel preamp. I wonder how it compares to the JC2 Halo. I already have the Oppo 105 (great player).
post #3550 of 3557 Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Thanks, Jmouse, but I am only interested in a 2-channel preamp (the 5509 looks like a 9.2 AVR). I saw on the Onkyo website that they do make a 2-channel preamp. I wonder how it compares to the JC2 Halo. I already have the Oppo 105 (great player).
Sorry, I misunderstood. If you are exclusively interested in a 2-channel preamp, then go with the JC2 Hal, it will sound nothing short of outstanding with your Halo A21 and OPPO 105!
post #3551 of 3557 Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a Halo P5 paired with my Oppo 105D and it sounds AMAZING! I can't imagine how good the JC2 + Oppo 105 combo will sound!

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

post #3552 of 3557 Old 06-30-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Of course I'll also have to upgrade my speakers. Thinking of the Sonus Faber Olympica III's.
ohrbrcko likes this.
post #3553 of 3557 Old 07-02-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I broke down and ordered a Parasound Zdac. It is due to be delivered this afternoon. I'll play around with it for a couple of days and report back.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | 2 Velodyne Subs
post #3554 of 3557 Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Parasound JC2 vs Marantz 8801?

A friend of mine who recently purchased a Marantz 8801 is wondering if 2 channel listening would be improved by adding a JC2. Has anyone here compared these, strictly in terms of SQ?

For reference he also has an A21 amp and Salk SS8 speakers. BTW, he's not a member of AVS, hence me posting this for him.

Thanks.

post #3555 of 3557 Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
A friend of mine who recently purchased a Marantz 8801 is wondering if 2 channel listening would be improved by adding a JC2. Has anyone here compared these, strictly in terms of SQ?

For reference he also has an A21 amp and Salk SS8 speakers. BTW, he's not a member of AVS, hence me posting this for him.

Thanks.
I do not have nor heard the 8801 so this is strictly based on 2nd hand information but my belief is yes. By accounts the 8801 is quite good musically but your friend's system could benefit from the JC2 for two channel.
post #3556 of 3557 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Thanks.

A friend of mine bought a PS Audio Directstream and brought it over with his PerfectWave. Got to listen to those 2 and a Bel Canto 2.5 DAC. I saw the Perfectwave dropped $1500 and ordered one. Sounds wonderful and actually a nice improvement over the 8801. The 8801 does surround sound very well, 2 channel-DAC all the way.
http://www.psaudio.com/products/perfectwave-dac/

8801, Perfectwave DAC, A21 and Dali Epicon 6 speakers.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #3557 of 3557 Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have the Marantz 8801 nor the JC2 but I do have a Marantz SR7008 and a Parasound Halo P5. I can tell you that for stereo the combination between the P5 and the Oppo 105D is unbeatable. I don't care what other people say but Audyssey could be good for movies or multichannel music but for stereo nothing is better than a good stereo preamp like the P5 or the JC2. I got the P5 instead of the JC2 because the HT bypass with two independent subwoofer in/out.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page