Old 12-07-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendry98 View Post
I am planning to get Parasound Halo Amps for my 7.2.4 Atmos in my new HT, so i would really appreciate if you could suggest a good compo from Parasound.

my Triad speakers are as follow:
- 3 x Inwall Gold LCR (front speakers)
- 4 x Inwall Silver LCR (surround and rear speakers)
- 4 x InCeiling Bronze LCR (Heights)
- 2 x InRoom Gold Subs (with their own Rackamps)

planning also to get the following:
Cables: 12 AWG cl2/cl3 from monster for all the speakers + 13 x XLR for pre and & amp connections
Pre/Pro: Marantz AV7702.

I was thinking like: 1 x A31 for mains, & 2 x A51 for effect speakers. but not sure if this is good mix or not.

Appreciate any input
I would consider the following:
A31 for LCR's
A51 for side and back surrounds (one channel not used)
Two A23's for the four Atmos speakers.

Cheapest method, but most power connections would be:
A31 for LCR's
Four A23's for everything else.

Not quite as much power to the surround speakers, but it does have one advantage, if you lose an amp channel causing you to remove an amp, you have only lost two channels and not as expensive to replace. Anyway, if we can help you, give us a call.
RichB and hendry98 like this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Cheapest method, but most power connections would be:
A31 for LCR's
Four A23's for everything else.

Not quite as much power to the surround speakers, but it does have one advantage, if you lose an amp channel causing you to remove an amp, you have only lost two channels and not as expensive to replace. Anyway, if we can help you, give us a call.
Great, it seems A31 + A23s is the way to go then,,

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I use an A23 for my back surrounds and an A51 for my front speakers...the A23 will be perfectly fine for Atmos (and probably overkill). I actually contemplated getting the 12-channel Z-amp (The ZoneMaster Model 1250) from Parasound and bridging the channels into 6 zones and use 4 of them for Atmos and the other two for my backyard (or don't bridge the other 4 channels and put some speakers in my garage

http://www.gspr.com/parasound/zonemaster1250.html
WAFWarrior and hendry98 like this.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Old 12-07-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I use an A23 for my back surrounds and an A51 for my front speakers...the A23 will be perfectly fine for Atmos (and probably overkill). I actually contemplated getting the 12-channel Z-amp (The ZoneMaster Model 1250) from Parasound and bridging the channels into 6 zones and use 4 of them for Atmos and the other two for my backyard (or don't bridge the other 4 channels and put some speakers in my garage

http://www.gspr.com/parasound/zonemaster1250.html
Yeah I thought of getting A51 for the front and surround speakers, but I have heard A31 is kinda better than A51, so i decided to get A31 for the mains, and the remaining shall be A23s
Old 12-08-2014, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Yeah I thought of getting A51 for the front and surround speakers, but I have heard A31 is kinda better than A51, so i decided to get A31 for the mains, and the remaining shall be A23s
I know the A21 is a step above the A31/51 but that is the first I have heard a possible difference between the A31 and A51. What is that based on or where did you hear that?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
I know the A21 is a step above the A31/51 but that is the first I have heard a possible difference between the A31 and A51. What is that based on or where did you hear that?
What i meant here is not the amp build or quality, what I meant here and i am not sure if it is quite true or not, is that the less channels amp is usually the better option.

this means A21 is better than A31. and then JC1 is even better than A21.

that's all,

and by the way, when you said A21 is a step above A31/51, this is for music only or even in movies?

because if it is even better in movies, would this be a better option for me (as i have not placed my order yet) : A21 for front L/R, A31 for Center & Side Surrounds, and then A23s for the remaining 6 rear and height speakers?

or just stick to A31 for mains, and A23s for the effect speakers!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
What i meant here is not the amp build or quality, what I meant here and i am not sure if it is quite true or not, is that the less channels amp is usually the better option.

that's all,

and by the way, when you said A21 is a step above A31/51, this is for music only or even in movies?

because if it is even better in movies, would this be a better option for me (as i have not placed my order yet) : A21 for front L/R, A31 for Center & Side Surrounds, and then A23s for the remaining 6 rear and height speakers?

I use an A21 for the mains because it handles the heat better when playing 2-channel. It has a bigger power supply and better cooling (more surface area) when cranking 2-channel music. I had an A51 and I could watch movies at the maximum volume I found comfortable and the amp never got hot.
The Salons can take a handle power and I run them full range.

The A31 is used for my center and surrounds the amps is probably running class-A 99% of the time.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 12-08-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

that's all,

The A21 is a slightly different design than the A31/51 to my understanding. For music I would recommend the A21 /A31 combo but for movies not sure it would matter assuming all speakers are crossed over to a sub (s).
Old 12-08-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
The A21 is a slightly different design than the A31/51 to my understanding. For music I would recommend the A21 /A31 combo but for movies not sure it would matter assuming all speakers are crossed over to a sub (s).
Yeah this is what i think exactly, so most likely I will go with A31 for mains and A23s for the effect speakers.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I use an A21 for the mains because it handles the heat better when playing 2-channel. It has a bigger power supply and better cooling (more surface area) when cranking 2-channel music. I had an A51 and I could watch movies at the maximum volume I found comfortable and the amp never got hot.
The Salons can take a handle power and I run them full range.

The A31 is used for my center and surrounds the amps is probably running class-A 99% of the time.

- Rich
So if music is not a priority to me and only movies + HDTV, then A31 & A23s would be the way to go
Old 12-08-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
So if music is not a priority to me and only movies + HDTV, then A31 & A23s would be the way to go

That would do nicely.

- Rich
hendry98 likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Quick question, as I am planning to order an AV Rack from MD, and since I will have 5 Amps from Parasound which will be placed on the top, is it wise to leave 1-2 U between each Amp even if i will have a thermal mgt.? or no need for spaces with cooling system in place?

Thanks,
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Quick question, as I am planning to order an AV Rack from MD, and since I will have 5 Amps from Parasound which will be placed on the top, is it wise to leave 1-2 U between each Amp even if i will have a thermal mgt.? or no need for spaces with cooling system in place?

Thanks,
That absolutely won't work. Too much heat buildup. Send a couple of them over to me.

Seriously, call Parasound and find out what they recommend. Get the name of the person you spoke to so if something fries, you can tell them who told you to do it. It may save you later if you have problems.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Is MD Music Direct (the store) or something else? It might be helpful to include a link to the rack you're thinking of getting. But a couple of general comments... If you're planning on putting the amps across the top shelf of a wide rack, I don't think you need to worry too much about having much space between them because the heat will have plenty of room to escape vertically. If you're talking about a rack mount system that's 1 component wide, then you'll probably want to have at least 2 rack spaces between each amp vertically, but the amount of space needed will vary a bit depending on which specific amps you're talking about (JC-1's, for example, run pretty hot). Finally, if you are talking about a free standing rack mount system that's 1 component wide, I'd suggest putting heavy things like the amps lower in the rack rather than at the top for stability reasons.
hendry98 likes this.
Old Today, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Is MD Music Direct (the store) or something else? It might be helpful to include a link to the rack you're thinking of getting. But a couple of general comments... If you're planning on putting the amps across the top shelf of a wide rack, I don't think you need to worry too much about having much space between them because the heat will have plenty of room to escape vertically. If you're talking about a rack mount system that's 1 component wide, then you'll probably want to have at least 2 rack spaces between each amp vertically, but the amount of space needed will vary a bit depending on which specific amps you're talking about (JC-1's, for example, run pretty hot). Finally, if you are talking about a free standing rack mount system that's 1 component wide, I'd suggest putting heavy things like the amps lower in the rack rather than at the top for stability reasons.
Thanks for your reply, it was a typo, i meant MA, middle atlantic, so I am planning to get WR Series: http://www.middleatlantic.com/produc.../wr-44-32.aspx

- it will be inside the wall, with a thermal mgt (cooling fan) on the top and vent panel in the bottom
- I will have the following from Prasound 1x A31 & 4x A23,

so should I leave 2U between each amp? and use blank panels in between to allow better air circulation ?
Old Today, 12:46 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, it was a typo, i meant MA, middle atlantic, so I am planning to get WR Series: http://www.middleatlantic.com/produc.../wr-44-32.aspx

- it will be inside the wall, with a thermal mgt (cooling fan) on the top and vent panel in the bottom

so should I leave 2U between each amp? and use blank panels in between to allow better air circulation ?
I'd suggest asking Parasound for what they recommend, but 2U (3.5") above each amp is probably sufficient. Go with ventilated panels, which will allow air to flow through.
Old Today, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I'd suggest asking Parasound for what they recommend, but 2U (3.5") above each amp is probably sufficient. Go with ventilated panels, which will allow air to flow through.
Thanks for your feedback,

Sure will check with them
Old Today, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 60
T h at is what I did. I had my A23 with vented 2u blanks between them. I had an A52 with the same. Mine was an opened back rack with no fans. This was backed up into an equipment closet that is approximately 5'×4'. The fronts were all facing my theater.
hendry98 likes this.
Old Today, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback,

Sure will check with them
Quote:

This seems sufficient. They will go into protect mode if it gets too hot but I seriously doubt that you will have any issues. Use vented blanks for sure.
hendry98 likes this.

Chris
Parasound Products Inc.
2250 Mckinnon Ave.
San Francisco CA 94124
415-397-7100
Old Today, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFWarrior View Post
This seems sufficient. They will go into protect mode if it gets too hot but I seriously doubt that you will have any issues. Use vented blanks for sure.
Thanks for your reply, so i use vented panels instead of blank panels and no fans required?

because as per MA, if I use thermal Mgt, on the top, then i need at least to keep 6-8 U below with blank panels in order to ensure a better air circulation. but with vented panels, i think then the air circulation wont be effective. unless i got the point wrong.

Regards,
Old Today, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
That is what I did. I had my A23 with vented 2u blanks between them. I had an A52 with the same. Mine was an opened back rack with no fans. This was backed up into an equipment closet that is approximately 5'×4'. The fronts were all facing my theater.
i will also have an open rack, but i am playing it safe and will install a fan on the top.

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp