Parasound Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #361 of 3616 Old 02-14-2010, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Coolsax, I have a Parasound 2125 too. I use it to drive my Wharfedale Diamond 9.6's and my AVR to takes care of the rest of the Diamonds. The Parasound does a fantastic job with these amazing speakers. For 2 channel listening, no sub is required as the 9.6's sport dual Kevlar 8" woofers. I recommend you check out the Wharfedale line closely, either the Diamond 9 range that can be had at bargain prices (Diamond 10's coming out) or the next line up - Evo 2. With the budget you indicated, you would have many choices between stand mount monitors or floor standers.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3616 Old 02-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by REShaman View Post

Thank you double 07. Mouse, Jmouse. (Couldn't resist).
You're assessment is a pleasure to read. I know SQ is subjective, and greatly appreciate your experience and feedback. Overall, the feedback in reviews online/magazines and posts at Parasound threads are so favorable for A21/51. Read some negative experiences about hash sounding/sibilance etc. With electronics and different configurations, stuff happens. I continually read that Parasound's technical support is excellent. That has been my experience with Oppo. It all makes for a very inviting purchase down the line.
Best,
Richard

We recently purchased the Parasound Halo A51 (powering the mains, center and side surrounds) and Parasound A23 (Powering our front height ambient speakers so we did not need the 250 wpc of power that the A21 has). They are coupled with our ONKYO PR-SC5507p pre-pro and as I mentioned previously the Halo power amps sound nothing short of superb and outstanding! Finest amps and pre-pro I have ever owned and our system has NEVER sounded this good before.

As for Parasounds customer service, it is exceptional! It is something when the owner of the company is willing to talk to you in order to answer a question! In all of my years, I have never experienced this level of customer service from an electronics company. I can not recommend Parasound highly enough. If I had the money, I would add the A21 to power my mains and add rear surrounds, but sadly, I am NOT made of money

You are going to love your A21/A51 set up and they LOOK as good as they SOUND!
post #363 of 3616 Old 02-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

As for Parasounds customer service, it is exceptional! It is something when the owner of the company is willing to talk to you in order to answer a question! In all of my years, I have never experienced this level of customer service from an electronics company.

Richard is great and, not to take anything away from Parasound, but once you stop buying from the electronics giants, you'll find that customer service goes up and you'll find that the owners frequently want to talk to you to answer questions. Take a trip over to PS Audio and the owner, Paul McGowan answers all types of questions on his discussion forums. Same thing goes on over at audiocircle.com where you can discuss audio manufacturer's products with the owners.

ChrisG
Seattle, WA
post #364 of 3616 Old 02-15-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder View Post

FWIW, I love the sound of my JC-1 monoblocks/A51 set up. Only downside is they throw off a lot of heat.

Yes, I read your original post. The reviews for JC-1 are stellar. They're handsome looking. The additional cost above a P7/A21/A51 configuration gives me pause. My Atlantic Technology 450 THX system (ca. 1998) mains would sound wonderful even though the 400W are more than needed to drive them. Glad you're getting such satisfaction from them.

Someone who posts often at the Oppo threads with similar criteria for 2ch/Mch analog sound ordered a P7. Kept it a few weeks but returned it. I asked him to PM me with details about his experience. I am curious and know how subjective SQ evaluations can be.

Again, thank you to all who responded about their Parasound equipment and experience.
Best,
Richard
post #365 of 3616 Old 02-15-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I notice in a review on Enjoy the Music.com that the JC 1 offers a "Relay-Bypassed Soft Start Circuit." This is said to cut the surge at turn-on by 50%. This is a major plus, and I wonder how much current we're talking about. Is there a way I can find that out? Thanks.

Wouldn't either Richard Schram or Tony in Technical support provide you with an answer to your question?
Best,
Richard
post #366 of 3616 Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Richard is great and, not to take anything away from Parasound, but once you stop buying from the electronics giants, you'll find that customer service goes up and you'll find that the owners frequently want to talk to you to answer questions. Take a trip over to PS Audio and the owner, Paul McGowan answers all types of questions on his discussion forums. Same thing goes on over at audiocircle.com where you can discuss audio manufacturer's products with the owners.

Agreed. Only emailed Richard at Parasound. I've telephoned PS Audio twice about my Power Plant Premier when I first purchased it to clarify whether the digital read outs indicated something was amiss with the unit. Paul was very nice. A second person had a slight edge during our conversation, but who knows what his day had been like. I cultivated a relationship with one of Denon's top repair person at their headquarters in NJ (drove there from NY and hand cared my equipment in whenever their units needed returning to specs). He was extremely friendly and informative and actually let me in to where he is stationed.

Your insights are spot on. And it makes doing business with "niche" or smaller manufacturers very inviting and a plus.
Best,
Richard
post #367 of 3616 Old 02-15-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Wouldn't either Richard Schram or Tony in Technical support provide you with an answer to your question?
Best,
Richard

Not at the time of the post. I've since heard from Richard, who gave a short but helpful explanation of how the soft-start circuit works. I didn't get a number as far as amperage goes, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #368 of 3616 Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 AM

I must acknowledge how satisfying it is for me to join in the camaraderie at this thread, the benefit of your experiences (all of us), the enjoyment expressed, the aesthetics of the equipment and the feel for the qualities of sound that emanate from equipment you already use that I am inspired to and preparing to procure. Music for me is as powerful as any medicine and any thoroughly enjoyable recreation. Excuse the sentimentality and enjoy the day.
Best,
Richard
post #369 of 3616 Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

We recently purchased the Parasound Halo A51 (powering the mains, center and side surrounds) and Parasound A23 (Powering our front height ambient speakers so we did not need the 250 wpc of power that the A21 has). They are coupled with our ONKYO PR-SC5507p pre-pro and as I mentioned previously the Halo power amps sound nothing short of superb and outstanding! Finest amps and pre-pro I have ever owned and our system has NEVER sounded this good before.

As for Parasounds customer service, it is exceptional! It is something when the owner of the company is willing to talk to you in order to answer a question! In all of my years, I have never experienced this level of customer service from an electronics company. I can not recommend Parasound highly enough. If I had the money, I would add the A21 to power my mains and add rear surrounds, but sadly, I am NOT made of money

You are going to love your A21/A51 set up and they LOOK as good as they SOUND!

I'm all too aware of that one! I've recently had an audition of the Mac 501s and found out what they cost. Still hoping to audition the JC 1s somewhere. The first retailer I contacted doesn't have them on display, much less available for audition. Looking at another's website suggests they're not the type of store that would either. We press on!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #370 of 3616 Old 02-17-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:

I'm all too aware of that one! I've recently had an audition of the Mac 501s and found out what they cost. Still hoping to audition the JC 1s somewhere. The first retailer I contacted doesn't have them on display, much less available for audition. Looking at another's website suggests they're not the type of store that would either. We press on!

FYI - If you don't mind paying shipping to return the JC-1s if you don't like them, Audio Advisor has a 30 day in home audition period, no questions asked. Also, they have company refurbished amps for sale that come with a full warranty for $3375 each. If you haven't been to their site, click on the clearance link.

ChrisG
Seattle, WA
post #371 of 3616 Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FYI - If you don't mind paying shipping to return the JC-1s if you don't like them, Audio Advisor has a 30 day in home audition period, no questions asked. Also, they have company refurbished amps for sale that come with a full warranty for $3375 each. If you haven't been to their site, click on the clearance link.

I think I will take a look. Thanks.

post #372 of 3616 Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh..he'll like them
post #373 of 3616 Old 02-17-2010, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think I will take a look. Thanks.

Sorry guys i've been out... the amperage question is

25Amps in Class A
135A peak class AB

does that help?

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida

see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
post #374 of 3616 Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Audio Advisor might be nice option to see if I like the C3...
post #375 of 3616 Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just had a man come in from Maryland that was looking at an amp twice its price actually 2.5x its price and it totally blew it out of the water... THE JC1 is probably the most amazing amp for the money and then some... i also have Simaudio W7m's and while the Simaudio IS BETTER... its one of those "i'd be hard pressed to spend the extra when the JC1's sound so good" deal ;-)

Brad Bossman
post #376 of 3616 Old 02-17-2010, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Audio Advisor might be nice option to see if I like the C3...

I have a feeling its going to be back ordered BIG TIME! we already have a running list for people wanting one and per Parasound it sounds like its going to be a big time back ordered item as well as the B3

Brad Bossman
post #377 of 3616 Old 02-17-2010, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We kinda did the same thing in our store we allow people to take it home (feel them out a lil make sure the are reputable LOL) and get a CC number then they can take it play with it a lil for a week or so and have it in their own hope no strings and make their minds up after that. We do it with most electronics and speakers.

Brad Bossman
post #378 of 3616 Old 02-17-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Though there are other amps on my list, the Mac 501 and the JC 1 are getting most of my attention lately. The AA refurbs are tempting.

Does anyone know if the JC 1 runs hot when in low/regular bias mode? According to Parasound, idle power is about half of what it is at high bias (250W).

I had a mishap which may affect things, my VPI PLC isn't working, and I'm wondering if I should try getting it fixed or replace it ($1195 MSRP). That's a chunk out of any money I might use for an amp. We'll see. It doesn't stop the process, however; it may set me back a month or so.

post #379 of 3616 Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Though thee are other amps on my list, the Mac 501 and the JC 1 are getting most of my attention. The AA refurbs are tempting.

Does anyone know if the JC 1 runs hot when in low/regular bias mode? According to Parasound, idle power is about half of what it is at high bias (250W).

Do the Parasound... your in my area... come on out and hear it... if you want take them home... you'll love it.

Sold against Mac for a long time... No comparison... Personally i run mine just normal and if they have some breathing room, and aren't cramped they don't get crazy hot... i mean they get warm but thats about all... i've never had an issue at all.

Brad Bossman
post #380 of 3616 Old 02-17-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

Do the Parasound... your in my area... come on out and hear it... if you want take them home... you'll love it.

Sold against Mac for a long time... No comparison... Personally i run mine just normal and if they have some breathing room, and aren't cramped they don't get crazy hot... i mean they get warm but thats about all... i've never had an issue at all.

You mean at normal bias (10W class A)?

post #381 of 3616 Old 02-17-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You mean at normal bias (10W class A)?

Thats right.

Brad Bossman
post #382 of 3616 Old 02-20-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hooked up the just arrived P7 to a Citation 19 stereo power amp, pair of L890 towers. For sources, a Yamaha TT and a Denon dvd-a/sacd player.
So far only listened to dvd-a/sacd.

So far, sounds great. Smooth, rich sound, good stage depth.
When I get everything sent down to Ecuador, the P7 will get connected to the Citation and the Parasound HCA2205, with 5 JBL PT800s, 2 custom JBL L212s, and a pair of JBL Pro/Revel subs. Unless I decide to buy a Halo amp to replace the Citation.
post #383 of 3616 Old 02-21-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Hooked up the just arrived P7 to a Citation 19 stereo power amp, pair of L890 towers. For sources, a Yamaha TT and a Denon dvd-a/sacd player.
So far only listened to dvd-a/sacd.

So far, sounds great. Smooth, rich sound, good stage depth.
When I get everything sent down to Ecuador, the P7 will get connected to the Citation and the Parasound HCA2205, with 5 JBL PT800s, 2 custom JBL L212s, and a pair of JBL Pro/Revel subs. Unless I decide to buy a Halo amp to replace the Citation.

Congratulations on the arrival of your P7. After you've had the opportunity to listen to 2ch analog in addition to SACD/DVD-A, would be extremely interested in any further details about the SQ and your listening experience. Kal Rubinson's review was very favorable. At the Oppo BDP-83 SE thread, his posts implied the AR MP1 and Bel Canto Pres6 are superior to the P7. Both are much more costly by factors of 2 and 3 times. One poster purchased, listened and returned his new P7. When I PM'd to learn more, he indicated that the addition of the P7 did not improve what he already had. I imagine different configurations and equipment plus the subjective nature of evaluating SQ can explain that result. I'll be interested to learn from your listening experience with the P7 when your "so far..." has even more hours on it. Enjoy the music!
Best,
Richard
post #384 of 3616 Old 02-21-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Congratulations on the arrival of your P7. After you've had the opportunity to listen to 2ch analog in addition to SACD/DVD-A, would be extremely interested in any further details about the SQ and your listening experience. Kal Rubinson's review was very favorable. At the Oppo BDP-83 SE thread, his posts implied the AR MP1 and Bel Canto Pres6 are superior to the P7. Both are much more costly by factors of 2 and 3 times. One poster purchased, listened and returned his new P7. When I PM'd to learn more, he indicated that the addition of the P7 did not improve what he already had. I imagine different configurations and equipment plus the subjective nature of evaluating SQ can explain that result. I'll be interested to learn from your listening experience with the P7 when your "so far..." has even more hours on it. Enjoy the music!
Best,
Richard

I would say the P7 is an improvement over the HK AVR, through speakers (JBL L890s) which aren't as good as my main speakers (JBL PT800s/sub1500s), which are waiting to be shipped to SA.
The sound is full, rich, detailed. And I'm only using a 100w power amp right now. When I have everything in SA I'll have the 2205A in the circuit.

AS far as how the P7 compares to those other preamps, no clue. But I have no intention of spending 3x to find out. Only spent $1500 for a refurb P7.
post #385 of 3616 Old 02-21-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:

I would say the P7 is an improvement over the HK AVR, through speakers (JBL L890s) which aren't as good as my main speakers (JBL PT800s/sub1500s), which are waiting to be shipped to SA.
The sound is full, rich, detailed. And I'm only using a 100w power amp right now. When I have everything in SA I'll have the 2205A in the circuit.

AS far as how the P7 compares to those other preamps, no clue. But I have no intention of spending 3x to find out. Only spent $1500 for a refurb P7.

Thank you for your response. And the benefit of your listening experience. I am not intending to purchase either the AR or Bel Canto. I only mentioned them merely as a perspective from Kal Rubinson, who rated the P7 over Conrad Johnson MP-1. A poster had listed several pre-amps in contemplation of mating an Oppo BDP-83SE as source with possible pre-amps with the P7 in a list of others (some mentioned). That list posted sparked questions from others about the quality in terms of SQ which was responded to by Kal Rubinson. My interest is focused on the P7. Enjoy it! I am hoping to as well as soon as I save up for the system I am contemplating which has now become P7/JC1s/A51. May take a while for me to get there!
Best,
Richard
post #386 of 3616 Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Thank you for your response. And the benefit of your listening experience. I am not intending to purchase either the AR or Bel Canto. I only mentioned them merely as a perspective from Kal Rubinson, who rated the P7 over Conrad Johnson MP-1.

I did? I have never used the CJ.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #387 of 3616 Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I did? I have never used the CJ.

Thank you for the gentle nudge in the direction of accuracy. I, too, value attributions that are accurate. My apologies to Kal Rubinson for sloppy and confusing writing. My focus was on the P7. To cure any inaccuracies my statement may have caused, Kal Rubinson wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets63
What about the Conrad Johnson MET1 preamp?
I have not tried it but I'll bet it sounds like a C-J.

With my interest in the P7, what I intended to communicate for the purposes of this thread was merely a perfunctory "glimpse" or perspective of the P7 relative to several other pre-amps provided by a knowledgeable person. It's best just to provide Kal Rubinson's quote and the context in which it was offered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAUSGP
You might try a McCormack MAP-1, found on Audiogon about 1k. It is an analog multi-channel pre-amp that will let your Oppo breath in true multi-channel formats. If you search the web you will find some very good reviews on the MAP-1.
It also handles 2-channel well and has a ARM circuit that will turn your two channel sources, like Redbook CDs on your BDP83SE into 5.1 channel experience.
And if you really like the stock MAP-1, you can send it in to Steve McCormack at SMc Audio and he will upgrade it so that it plays with the very best pre-amps out there. This might cost a bit, but IMO it was worth it.

Steve's upgrade might be worth the effort but I would not pick a stock MAP-1 over a stock P-7 for sound quality. The Bel Canto Pre6 is another story, as is the Audio Research MP-1.

I felt obliged to clear up any misleading impression especially as it concerns another person.
Best,
Richard
post #388 of 3616 Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I spent all weekend listening to music thru the P7 and it was superb. I suppose one could do even better, but probably at 2~3 time the price. To me, not worth the bother to go any further.

It was detailed, warm, smooth, full bodied sound. Plus the remote is very user friendly. No need to go deep into a menu to be able to change the L/R or F/R balance for any given recording, just do it right on the fly. Or change the bass/treble settings and more.
post #389 of 3616 Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:

I spent all weekend listening to music thru the P7 and it was superb. I suppose one could do even better, but probably at 2~3 time the price. To me, not worth the bother to go any further.

It was detailed, warm, smooth, full bodied sound. Plus the remote is very user friendly. No need to go deep into a menu to be able to change the L/R or F/R balance for any given recording, just do it right on the fly. Or change the bass/treble settings and more.

Thank you again. Sounds like you are thoroughly enjoying your P7. At my present rate of savings, I may be in time for the P8.
Best,
Richard
post #390 of 3616 Old 02-23-2010, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I am considering the purchase of a Parasound 5250 and thought I find out what other owners here think of this amp. It would be hooked up to my Anthem AVM20 processor and ADS L1290 series 2 speakers (L&R) and NHT center/surrounds.

I am concerned about some posts where owners experienced buzzing from their speakers (especially the one that said Parasound indicated it was normal).

Any help/suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Well, after finally locating an authorized dealer with a good return policy (about 1.5 hour drive from home), I ordered a Parasound Classic 5250 and have been using it for about a week now. I was not able to audition this amp prior to purchase, so I was relying on feedback from Parasound owners, many e-mail exchanges with Richard at Parasound, and a dealer willing to work with me (one much closer to home could not offer a return option, so they were out).

Long story short, I am thrilled with the performance of this amp and am surprised how much improvement I noticed over my old Hafler amps, so much so that I am seriously reconsidering my decision to look for speakers to replace my ADS L1290s. Parasound may have just saved me a couple grand!

I want to thank the owners here who provided great feedback that helped me make a decision.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page