post #3931 of 3944 Old 01-24-2015, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim View Post
So I was searching around online for some tips on setting up a power amp for the first time as I am a little uneasy about the circuity/electric work where I live. we rent a 3 story townhome and if i have a vacuum cleaner running while the space heater is on on the same circuit it blows the breaker every time. However i can run the space heater with my sr7009 along with my TV and blu ray player (plus computer, lights etc.) on the same breaker and i dont flip the breaker. long story short, we get weird power fluctuations sometimes and i dont trust the electrical work here at all.

I have heard plugging the a21 directly into the wall is the best thing to do rather than plugging it into a cheap belkin power strip or surge protector.

I guess I just wonder if I should test some outlets or do anything other due diligience prior to taking the first run with the a21. I just dont want to screw it up

TP
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I wouldn't worry--That's what circuit breakers are for--Plus any good amp like parasound has it's own protection circuitry, plus I believe they have a sort of soft start? (May be wrong on that one.)

But rememberIt's almost never going to use anywhere near it's potential power. If you're nervous, make sure your volume is down on your pre before you fire it up.

I think you'll be fine though. It's an amplifier, not a hand grenade...
You guys do realize how much current a space heater draws right. Get yourself some peace of mind , I have my A21 (aka my girl ) direct to a PS Audio Soloist Premier inwall conditioner surge protector on its own 10awg 20 amp circuit. how does it sound ? Priceless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 3944 Old 01-24-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
You guys do realize how much current a space heater draws right. Get yourself some peace of mind , I have my A21 (aka my girl ) direct to a PS Audio Soloist Premier inwall conditioner surge protector on its own 10awg 20 amp circuit. how does it sound ? Priceless
I'm not the one worried about space heater, and I have two dedicated 20 amp circuits and a Bryston BIT 20.

Unfortunately for the OP, he doesn't have that luxury, and he rents, so I was just trying to ease his fears.

Yeah, Space heaters are current suckers, alright. Tim should probably run that on a different circuit than his HT setup.

Dave

post #3933 of 3944 Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I'm not the one worried about space heater, and I have two dedicated 20 amp circuits and a Bryston BIT 20.

Unfortunately for the OP, he doesn't have that luxury, and he rents, so I was just trying to ease his fears.

Yeah, Space heaters are current suckers, alright. Tim should probably run that on a different circuit than his HT setup.

"Space heaters are current suckers, alright. Tim should DEFINATELY run that on a different circuit than his HT setup."

- Rich
audiofan1 likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3934 of 3944 Old 01-24-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So I fired up the music this morning on my A21 and the left channel is not working. I tired various troubleshooting steps with no luck. Even that side of the amp is cold while the operational side is warm to the touch. Any thoughts? I sent off an email to Richard at parasound as well.

Could it be a fuse or some thing simple? It was working great last night.

Thanks,
Brandon
post #3935 of 3944 Old 01-24-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
So I fired up the music this morning on my A21 and the left channel is not working. I tired various troubleshooting steps with no luck. Even that side of the amp is cold while the operational side is warm to the touch. Any thoughts? I sent off an email to Richard at parasound as well.

Could it be a fuse or some thing simple? It was working great last night.

Thanks,
Brandon

If it was the main fuse, you would lose both channels, so it may be internal.
I would Parasound to get back to you shortly.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3936 of 3944 Old 01-24-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
If it was the main fuse, you would lose both channels, so it may be internal.
I would Parasound to get back to you shortly.

- Rich
True. I'll wait to hear back from parasound. Hoping its nothing major....or expensive
post #3937 of 3944 Old 01-24-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
True. I'll wait to hear back from parasound. Hoping its nothing major....or expensive

If its a fuse, it is not expensive but if you don't want to ship it you have to take the cover off and be comfortable with doing so.
If this a new A21, then your covered.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #3938 of 3944 Old 01-24-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you under warranty?

Dave

post #3939 of 3944 Old 01-24-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

No warranty, bought it used several years back.
post #3940 of 3944 Old 01-24-2015, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
"Space heaters are current suckers, alright. Tim should DEFINATELY run that on a different circuit than his HT setup."

- Rich
thanks to those who pointed this out, it is definitely good to know. Right now my entire basement is on one circuit (except what is in my utility closet i think) but I typically do not run the space heater while i have the sr7009 running at the same time. even when i do, it seems to work ok. i imagine this may not be the case with the A21. right now i am trying to figure out amp assign modes/ pre out connections to make sure I get the first time setup right. trying to be careful about it but getting inpatient and thinking about just running my kabeldirekt rca cables from the pre outs then I suppose I will use the auto setup in the marantz sr7009 to make sure i have the connections right.

Anyone have any additional suggestions on first time setup for a rookie? i have the parasound a21 plugged in and connected to the sr7009 via pre outs and that is also plugged in to the same ac wall outlet as the a21. A21 is connected via type 4 audioquest terminated speaker cables to my CM10s (with the jumpers on obviously for hte cm10s) and everything else is connected as before (cm5s as surrounds, cmc2 as center and two svs sb2000 subs via the sub pre outs.

thanks!

My Current 5.2 Setup - for now....
B&W CM10s (FLR), CMC2, CM5 x2 (SLR)
Dual SVS SB2000s

Rack and Display:
Marantz SR7009, Marantz UD7007, T-PC50st60
[/COLOR]
post #3941 of 3944 Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim View Post
anyway - would it be best to run the amp first in pure direct mode or direct mode on the marantz SR7009 given i am using the pre outs for front left and right speakers and restricting playback to 2 channels?

After a bit of listening add in the center and subs and surrounds with the avr - I just dont want to run through audyssey setup or whatever cause I find it to be a huge pain the a**
Yep, pure direct bypasses all processing. Although you should be able to include the sub(s) w/o having Audyssey on.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
post #3942 of 3944 Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Unless you're planning on blasting a lot louder than you were with your 7009 before, the A21should make little to no difference in your current draw. The extra power is there for headroom for loud peaks, etc.

By pre-outs, you do mean pre-amp level outputs, right, with the volume controlled by the SR7009?

In which case, you're fine.

Just go ahead and fire it up already--it isn't all that delicate, and we want to know how you like it.

Dave

post #3943 of 3944 Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bypassing rear gain pots on a parasound halo a 23 amp

Hi, anyone ever done this on this particular amp before? If so, would you happen to have a diagram/ directions? Thanks!
post #3944 of 3944 Old Today, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippledchicken View Post
Hi, anyone ever done this on this particular amp before? If so, would you happen to have a diagram/ directions? Thanks!
Why would you want to bypass them?
In most situations, you want them turned all the way up.
In which case, they're out of the circuit.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page