post #3931 of 3958 Old 01-24-2015, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim View Post
So I was searching around online for some tips on setting up a power amp for the first time as I am a little uneasy about the circuity/electric work where I live. we rent a 3 story townhome and if i have a vacuum cleaner running while the space heater is on on the same circuit it blows the breaker every time. However i can run the space heater with my sr7009 along with my TV and blu ray player (plus computer, lights etc.) on the same breaker and i dont flip the breaker. long story short, we get weird power fluctuations sometimes and i dont trust the electrical work here at all.

I have heard plugging the a21 directly into the wall is the best thing to do rather than plugging it into a cheap belkin power strip or surge protector.

I guess I just wonder if I should test some outlets or do anything other due diligience prior to taking the first run with the a21. I just dont want to screw it up

TP
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I wouldn't worry--That's what circuit breakers are for--Plus any good amp like parasound has it's own protection circuitry, plus I believe they have a sort of soft start? (May be wrong on that one.)

But rememberIt's almost never going to use anywhere near it's potential power. If you're nervous, make sure your volume is down on your pre before you fire it up.

I think you'll be fine though. It's an amplifier, not a hand grenade...
You guys do realize how much current a space heater draws right. Get yourself some peace of mind , I have my A21 (aka my girl ) direct to a PS Audio Soloist Premier inwall conditioner surge protector on its own 10awg 20 amp circuit. how does it sound ? Priceless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 3958 Old 01-24-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
You guys do realize how much current a space heater draws right. Get yourself some peace of mind , I have my A21 (aka my girl ) direct to a PS Audio Soloist Premier inwall conditioner surge protector on its own 10awg 20 amp circuit. how does it sound ? Priceless
I'm not the one worried about space heater, and I have two dedicated 20 amp circuits and a Bryston BIT 20.

Unfortunately for the OP, he doesn't have that luxury, and he rents, so I was just trying to ease his fears.

Yeah, Space heaters are current suckers, alright. Tim should probably run that on a different circuit than his HT setup.

Dave

post #3933 of 3958 Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
I'm not the one worried about space heater, and I have two dedicated 20 amp circuits and a Bryston BIT 20.

Unfortunately for the OP, he doesn't have that luxury, and he rents, so I was just trying to ease his fears.

Yeah, Space heaters are current suckers, alright. Tim should probably run that on a different circuit than his HT setup.

"Space heaters are current suckers, alright. Tim should DEFINATELY run that on a different circuit than his HT setup."

- Rich
audiofan1 likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3934 of 3958 Old 01-24-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So I fired up the music this morning on my A21 and the left channel is not working. I tired various troubleshooting steps with no luck. Even that side of the amp is cold while the operational side is warm to the touch. Any thoughts? I sent off an email to Richard at parasound as well.

Could it be a fuse or some thing simple? It was working great last night.

Thanks,
Brandon
post #3935 of 3958 Old 01-24-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
So I fired up the music this morning on my A21 and the left channel is not working. I tired various troubleshooting steps with no luck. Even that side of the amp is cold while the operational side is warm to the touch. Any thoughts? I sent off an email to Richard at parasound as well.

Could it be a fuse or some thing simple? It was working great last night.

Thanks,
Brandon

If it was the main fuse, you would lose both channels, so it may be internal.
I would Parasound to get back to you shortly.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3936 of 3958 Old 01-24-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
If it was the main fuse, you would lose both channels, so it may be internal.
I would Parasound to get back to you shortly.

- Rich
True. I'll wait to hear back from parasound. Hoping its nothing major....or expensive
post #3937 of 3958 Old 01-24-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
True. I'll wait to hear back from parasound. Hoping its nothing major....or expensive

If its a fuse, it is not expensive but if you don't want to ship it you have to take the cover off and be comfortable with doing so.
If this a new A21, then your covered.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #3938 of 3958 Old 01-24-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you under warranty?

Dave

post #3939 of 3958 Old 01-24-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

No warranty, bought it used several years back.
post #3940 of 3958 Old 01-24-2015, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
"Space heaters are current suckers, alright. Tim should DEFINATELY run that on a different circuit than his HT setup."

- Rich
thanks to those who pointed this out, it is definitely good to know. Right now my entire basement is on one circuit (except what is in my utility closet i think) but I typically do not run the space heater while i have the sr7009 running at the same time. even when i do, it seems to work ok. i imagine this may not be the case with the A21. right now i am trying to figure out amp assign modes/ pre out connections to make sure I get the first time setup right. trying to be careful about it but getting inpatient and thinking about just running my kabeldirekt rca cables from the pre outs then I suppose I will use the auto setup in the marantz sr7009 to make sure i have the connections right.

Anyone have any additional suggestions on first time setup for a rookie? i have the parasound a21 plugged in and connected to the sr7009 via pre outs and that is also plugged in to the same ac wall outlet as the a21. A21 is connected via type 4 audioquest terminated speaker cables to my CM10s (with the jumpers on obviously for hte cm10s) and everything else is connected as before (cm5s as surrounds, cmc2 as center and two svs sb2000 subs via the sub pre outs.

thanks!

My Current 5.2 Setup - for now....
B&W CM10s (FLR), CMC2, CM5 x2 (SLR)
Dual SVS SB2000s

Rack and Display:
Marantz SR7009, Marantz UD7007, T-PC50st60
[/COLOR]
post #3941 of 3958 Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim View Post
anyway - would it be best to run the amp first in pure direct mode or direct mode on the marantz SR7009 given i am using the pre outs for front left and right speakers and restricting playback to 2 channels?

After a bit of listening add in the center and subs and surrounds with the avr - I just dont want to run through audyssey setup or whatever cause I find it to be a huge pain the a**
Yep, pure direct bypasses all processing. Although you should be able to include the sub(s) w/o having Audyssey on.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
post #3942 of 3958 Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Unless you're planning on blasting a lot louder than you were with your 7009 before, the A21should make little to no difference in your current draw. The extra power is there for headroom for loud peaks, etc.

By pre-outs, you do mean pre-amp level outputs, right, with the volume controlled by the SR7009?

In which case, you're fine.

Just go ahead and fire it up already--it isn't all that delicate, and we want to know how you like it.

Dave

post #3943 of 3958 Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bypassing rear gain pots on a parasound halo a 23 amp

Hi, anyone ever done this on this particular amp before? If so, would you happen to have a diagram/ directions? Thanks!
post #3944 of 3958 Old Today, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippledchicken View Post
Hi, anyone ever done this on this particular amp before? If so, would you happen to have a diagram/ directions? Thanks!
Why would you want to bypass them?
In most situations, you want them turned all the way up.
In which case, they're out of the circuit.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
post #3945 of 3958 Old Today, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Unless you're planning on blasting a lot louder than you were with your 7009 before, the A21should make little to no difference in your current draw. The extra power is there for headroom for loud peaks, etc.

By pre-outs, you do mean pre-amp level outputs, right, with the volume controlled by the SR7009?

In which case, you're fine.

Just go ahead and fire it up already--it isn't all that delicate, and we want to know how you like it.
just coming back to this...I did just that, and included my first impressions below...I used the "pre out" RCA connections from the back of the sr7009, labeled front right and left which is in the same "section" of connections as the subwoofer outputs which leads me to believe that is the correct way to hook up the A21.

I bypassed the gain controls by turning them up all the way to THX ultra certified level recommended in the setup manual which bypasses these controls letting the sr7009 handle the volume adjustments.

First impressions are key they say....although most products I have come across these days have a "break in" period of listening hours that is mentioned in the user manual upon unboxing, I thought the A21 performed brilliant from the very first session. I have only about 6 hours of listen time so far, but I haven't found a volume level yet where (with or without room eq) where the A21 does not outshine the sr7009. I had the expectation it would, but it was reassuring immediately to hear the difference in sound coming from the CM10s that didn't just sound louder to my ears but it seemed to install a certain level of confidence these speakers never had with the sr7009. The cm10s sound fine hooked up with the sr7009 and I plan to do more switching to see what i think of all the differences but the A21 really seemed to bring them out of their shell for lack of a better phrase. If the CM10s could possibly be "tired" to the ears after awhile playing back from my AVR (which I never thought they did" the best description I have for the A21 to try and compare is "breathed new life into them"

So all gushing aside - I love it so far. If I had to pinpoint how the A21 sounds "better" to me is in the midrange and lower frequencies where it seems to just drive the speakers as a whole better than my reciever. There was an almost forward sounding punch, that did not degrade the sound of the CM10s but it was like the A21 is more eager to drive the speakers than my reciever, almost like it was getting ahead of the other speakers when I did the room eq and took notice of the difference in sound to the chirps coming out of each speaker. I suspect this could be related to the class A amp always running with a bit of line voltage at all times. If I listen closely to the speakers after running it for about an hour (I have not tested using the ground lift yet) there is definitely a noticeable hum but it becomes inaudible to me once any level of music is being played back. I like to think of it like the A21 is a 12 cylinder, muscle car of an amp that idles along at a very low RPM until called by the sr7009 (the throttle if you will) to "go".

The far and away best attribute of this amp (in my opinion) is what it sounds like listening at lower levels. I had inquired about this perception by some and disbelief by others that a power amplifier (or simply a significant increase in power available to the speakers) will sound better at lower volume levels but I can't remember the technical explanation behind it. All I can say is it seems to add what I thought I was "missing" but had trouble explaining in forums from the cm10s when I ran them from the sr7009. My guess is this is due to being in class A mode at low levels before switching to AB, which I understand happens somewhere around the 7-10 WPC level (i think?) which would lead me to believe that with less than 10 WPC being delivered to the cm10s they had a full, rich, and almost loud (not a good descriptor here) sounds that made some night time listening much more pleasurable. which would make sense based on many of you telling me in the past that having more "power" was not necessary at my listening levels

more experimentation to come but overall it is too early for a verdict on the purchase but so far the amp has met or exceeded my expectations based on some limited research and very limited knowledge of what benefit I would get or hear when adding the amp into my setup.

I find the A21 runs very cool so far on the bottom of my rack (it sits on glass right now and the shelf above it has been removed) where I have teh sr70o9 and ud7007 as well spaced with one shelf in between each to aid in ventilation. the sr7009 seems to still run fairly warm but by no means overheating.
audiofan1 and slimDub13 like this.

Dual SVS SB2000s

Rack and Display:
[/COLOR]
post #3946 of 3958 Old Today, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 583
^^^ It does indeed have superb low level listing (Class A) and why perhaps one day I'll pony up for the JC1's
post #3947 of 3958 Old Today, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

^^Glad it's working out for you! ^^

Dave

post #3948 of 3958 Old Today, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post
Why would you want to bypass them?
In most situations, you want them turned all the way up.
In which case, they're out of the circuit.
I just read on another forum a while back that it gives a little improvement in sound. I was shocked, to see 4 10,000mfd. caps in the PS instead of 12,000mfd. caps as should be, to equal the claimed spec. of 48000mfd. total capacitance and also Rubycon instead of elna. I just thought maybe someone here had tried it and could verify any noticeable difference or not. Thanks!
post #3949 of 3958 Old Today, 05:42 PM

Quote:
^^Glad it's working out for you! ^^
thanks! I am getting ground hum still but I will try the ground lift switch tonight to see if that takes care of it.

I do need to re wire cable for the speakers though because my rack is too far off to the left for the cables i had connected. I went to 3 places today, a hardware store, radio shack and then best buy looking for 10 or 12 gauge speaker wire with no luck...

i will probably try running with the x2 14awg cable i have some good length of for now until I can get heavier gauge. best buy magnolia tried to sell me on some go4, or oak or evergreen or redwood trees or something and I as politely as possible said "to be honest, I just want some solid or stranded copper 10 or 12 gauge cables". in order to get that gauge he had to break out his book of overpriced cables and with significant discounting and using all his audioquest points in order to get the length I wanted (12 feet or so) he could get me down to 1000 dollars and it would take 2-3 months for him to get the cables in. I had to chuckle, but he is just doing his job and he did get me a great deal on my speakers so I am not complaining.

Anyway - do you all think stranded 14 gauge is definitely enough for a 12 foot run? I know according to charts and parasound it should be fine but I figured it wouldn't hurt to go a little heavier, cause why not?

Also looking into preamps now - but since I am using my marantz avr s7009 as my preamp for now I really only wanted something to add to the chain that has balanced connections so I could run stereo playback and other hi res audio stuff from my marantz ud7007, through the preamp and to the A21.

Thoughts? Suggestions on a decent preamp - maybe with home theater pass through? I am not sure what the best resolution would be and it owuld be kind of more of a nice to have at this point as i doubt it would add to sound quality ocver the sr7009.

A hi-fi dealer ushered me out of his store when i walked in to ask questions once he learned i didn't want to throw down money on 4500 dollar mcintosh (min he had) haha.

Dual SVS SB2000s

Rack and Display:
[/COLOR]
post #3950 of 3958 Old Today, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Parasound preamps go great with the A21! They have a few to choose from.
post #3951 of 3958 Old Today, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got my A23 over weekend and set it up. My situation is similar to Tim's (see the post above) except at little bit lower level - I am coming from SR6005 and using it as a stereo/sub preamp. Speakers I remind you are DefTech Mythos STSs with powered sub and analogue source is OPPO-105.

Marantz by itself sounds pretty good for the price (why I bought it in a first place) at least at lower volumes. But needless to say it gets strained when listening at real life volumes (which is loud disturbing my wife at the second floor). Imagine listening real orchestra or band in your living room to get the idea. I was not able to listen A23 at full potential because during weekend my wife is always at first floor. So I listened at "normal levels". I cannot do A/B comparison eigther because do not have switch and do not have time to make one like I did in 80s-90s.

One thing I tested though is a file format comparo. I have one set of records encoded in both DSD and PCM and another set of records encoded in PCM 16x44.5, 24x96, 24/192. It is as I understand hi end quality records (made from master tape) using the same analogue path and etc and with only difference being encoding format.

On Marantz I could hear the difference between DSD and PCM but all PCM formats sounded the same to me. All sounded excellent even CD so mastering and equipment apparently matters.

But on A23 I can clearly hear the difference between 16x44.5 and high res formats and even difference between 24x96 and 24x192. CD sounds kind of flatter and less rounded/sweet/dimensional (just cannot choose the right word) in mid frequencies. As an engineer I know why (do not buy all this crap that CD is good enough).

Difference between DSD and PCM is of different kind - DSD sounds kind of more analogue/LP kind compared to PCM or more life like. Many SACD I heard do not sound as good – so again source, ADC, digital editing and equipment matter apparently. But again as engineer I was surprised. I would expect them to sound about the same. Sigma-Delta modulators are cheap and used in DAC for a long time. I actually designed one for voltmeter in late 80s so know how it works. Essentially it is one bit coding kind of frequency modulation. It is a combination of integrator, precision quartz clock, comparator and negative feedback. One bit streem then goes to summator which sums up bits given clocked interval. It is a cheap way to do ADC. I do not know is PCM encoded using sigma-delta but DSD certainly should. But whatever method is used it is apparent from samples I have that DSD encoding makes difference. Unfortunately it is a dying format all that’s because of Sony corporation’s greed. Sony failed anyway but still keep DSD close to chest. Very sad.

Okay, I will report more about A23. I want to do A/B between Marantz as a preamp and direct OPPO-105 connection. And also between OPPO direct with RCA and XLR.
post #3952 of 3958 Old Today, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Parasound preamps go great with the A21! They have a few to choose from.
P7 and A21; great combo. Especially with the phono stage.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #3953 of 3958 Unread Today, 07:54 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there is a buzz coming from speakers (twitter and mid range). I can hear it if I put my ear about 8 inches from speaker. Probably power line/some termal noise amplified.
post #3954 of 3958 Unread Today, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I had this noise on both my A23 and A52. It even showed up in my rew graphs. They are awesome sounding amps though.
post #3955 of 3958 Unread Today, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
I had this noise on both my A23 and A52. It even showed up in my rew graphs. They are awesome sounding amps though.
I have an A31 for center and surrounds and have never noticed any noise. If I remember I will try to stick my ear against my center but with either RCAs or XLRs they have no hum.
post #3956 of 3958 Unread Today, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I used xlr and it was more of a high pitched hum. I thought it was probably caused from my dimmers. It wasn't a hiss noise.
post #3957 of 3958 Unread Today, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
I have an A31 for center and surrounds and have never noticed any noise. If I remember I will try to stick my ear against my center but with either RCAs or XLRs they have no hum.
It is depends on how clean power line is. I have router and cable modem on the same outlet. And dimmer not so far away. I have buzz from SR6005 on surround speakers also which are less pronounced though but they are pretty small bookshelf speaker. Feet away everything seem quite silent. Does not bother me.
post #3958 of 3958 Unread Today, 11:54 PM

Now I am a believer! (note that I am by nature skeptic since I am a former scientist and now engineer). I finally was able to listen the real music via A23, I mean familiar records I heard for decades. I just listened few pieces since it was late (I come home about 8.30pm, Silicon Valley thing) but what I heard blows my mind - never heard it so clear and so precise and accurate. I started with Toccata from Brain Salad Surgery. It is a 24x96 5.1 surround, 2014 remix flac (from Deluxe collection DVD-A). It was the first time when my jaw dropped since I got A23. I heard Toccata probably hundred times over last 40 years. I also heard it on Marantz not so long ago with everything else (source, speakers) were same and as such a volume (have to listen loud otherwise does not make sense) it never sounded so clean and precise, sonically correct and real life like (if you can say that about electronic music, well if you ever heard high quality sound equipment at the concert you know what I am talking about). A23 never strained and was not as mushy (at that volume) as Marantz. It followed by Still...you turn me on from the same flac - I rediscovered this ballad to say the least. I did not want to move to Karn Evil since it was late but moved to Grand Funk's Closer To Home, which starts with heavy Good Man's Brother, knowing that it cannot be as good as BSS since Grand Funk's early albums never were high quality studio recording. But they were authentic, iconic live quality albums recorded from the first try with no further processing in other words as is. It is a higher resolution 32x192 stereo rip from LP. Not only it was as clear as ELP remix (which I would never expect it but boy was I wrong!) but also sounded like surround music. I even went back to surround speaker to check but of course they were silent. I do not know how Parasound managed to make it sound three dimensional but it did. When I play Grand Funk the whole house is shaking because of Mel Schacher's thunderous bass guitar and my wife gets nuts so I had to end there and will continue tomorrow. I have impression that I have to listen all my record again. I am dying to hear Karn Evil in 5.1 again tomorrow first. It is a long 20 min piece but it worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page