post #3961 of 3982 Old 01-27-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetter View Post
It was with SR6005 as a preamp. SR6005 was also driving surround GEM speakers. I am going to A/B OPPO direct with Marantz preamp to see if I need to sell Marantz and buy something better. Cables all around are 3 ft ACOUSTIC RESEARCH Pr130 Pro RCA cables. These cables are out of production but still can be found on the Internet. The good thing about them is that they are directional (shield grounding wise), well designed and build but still affordable.
I might have to give those cables a spin.

For a valid comparison to direct from the oppo, try turning off all processing on your 6005 including audyssey.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 3982 Old 01-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
So I fired up the music this morning on my A21 and the left channel is not working. I tired various troubleshooting steps with no luck. Even that side of the amp is cold while the operational side is warm to the touch. Any thoughts? I sent off an email to Richard at parasound as well.

Could it be a fuse or some thing simple? It was working great last night.

Thanks,
Brandon
merry, there are 2 knobs on the back. Are they BOTH turned up to full? Sometimes one can get touched and dial it off.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #3963 of 3982 Old 01-27-2015, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I might have to give those cables a spin.

For a valid comparison to direct from the oppo, try turning off all processing on your 6005 including audyssey.
I never use any processing in SR6005. It always runs in Pure direct mode regardless is it a music, youtube or BD movies. What ever I claim about SR6005 is based on it being set in Pure Direct. DAC in SR6005 is low end and Audissey - I have no idea why someone would like to ruin the SQ by using additional sound processing.
post #3964 of 3982 Old 01-27-2015, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post
merry, there are 2 knobs on the back. Are they BOTH turned up to full? Sometimes one can get touched and dial it off.
After speaking to parasound they suggested replacing the internal fuses. $3 and a radio shack visit later, all is fixed!

Thanks,
Brandon
RichB and gsr like this.
post #3965 of 3982 Old 01-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Sweet!
post #3966 of 3982 Old Yesterday, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
I never use any processing in SR6005. It always runs in Pure direct mode regardless is it a music, youtube or BD movies. What ever I claim about SR6005 is based on it being set in Pure Direct. DAC in SR6005 is low end and Audissey - I have no idea why someone would like to ruin the SQ by using additional sound processing.
Audyssey is not processing, its just an autoEQ.
But I also do not use autoEQ (HK EZset) for music, and most of the time not for movies either. But if I am streaming movies, which is most of the time, I use either DTS neo6, or Harman's L7 to convert the stereo sound to 6 channel.
If I am using the Denon DVD player, I can output the soundtrack in direct mode, if I choose to do so.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.

Last edited by 4DHD; Yesterday at 04:15 AM.
post #3967 of 3982 Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
After speaking to parasound they suggested replacing the internal fuses. $3 and a radio shack visit later, all is fixed!

Thanks,
Brandon
WOW! Glad to hear the great news! I would of (never) thought it would be something like that!
post #3968 of 3982 Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post
Audyssey is not processing, its just an autoEQ.
But I also do not use autoEQ (HK EZset) for music, and most of the time not for movies either. But if I am streaming movies, which is most of the time, I use either DTS neo6, or Harman's L7 to convert the stereo sound to 6 channel.
If I am using the Denon DVD player, I can output the soundtrack in direct mode, if I choose to do so.
Audyssey is DSP processing.

- Rich
gsr likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3969 of 3982 Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

- Rich
That is correct. It is a digital filter which is a recursive equation. In other words it mixes up consecutive samples and therefore needs digital input in form of PCM. Output from OPPO-105 is analogue so it does not make sense to redigitize and use inferior AVR DAC. So the whole AVR should stay out of loop except of attenuator. It means that all I need is a simple analogue preamp plus HDMI switch. May be some crappy DAC would not hurt to handle low quality source that do not come from OPPO. If I need a phono amp I can buy separate one. That is all I need. So all those AV preamp from Marantz, ONKYO and other mass market manufacturers has no value for me. The closest thing I need is Emotiva UPC-200 except it does not have stereo XLR in/outs. I do not need 5 channel XLR since OPPO has only stereo XLR output. That is my philosophy regarding preamps. When I was doing amplifiers myself I included simple preamp as a first stage of amp (no filter, nothing - just class A amp and mechanical switch), but it was long time ago before all those 7.1 stuff when sources were pure stereo music from tape recorder, turntable or FM tuner.
post #3970 of 3982 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

- Rich
I was thinking in terms of DTS, DD, L7. Processing stereo into 6,7,9+ channels.

In any case, I don't much like any autoEQ. Which is why I use mostly my P7.
RichB likes this.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
post #3971 of 3982 Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippledchicken View Post
WOW! Glad to hear the great news! I would of (never) thought it would be something like that!
Yup, not bad at all. In fact years back my Proceed Amp3 had the same thing happen. Must be somewhat common for amps after they run off and on for several years if not more.
post #3972 of 3982 Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
P7 and A21; great combo. Especially with the phono stage.
not sure if i would use phono...pardon my ignorance but that is for vinyl correct? I don't listen to any vinyl currently.

if you are familiar with the different parasound preamp options out there would you care to elaborate on the major differences?

I have looked at the p5 - and i think that might be the better option for me but I do want to future proof incase I end up using another power amplifier or two for the whole surround sound eventually.

While the p7 is more expensive it doesnt currently (at least from what i can tell) have any additional features that the p5 has that i would be using for stereo playback. i could certainly be, and am often times, wrong though

I saw a couple deals on safe and sound today for b stock halo preamps...jc-2 b, p7 were the ones available today for decent discounts. i am mainly concerned with getting great 2 channel sound whether it be from the ud7007 on disc or digital from my NAS etc. passed through to the halo a21 as clean as possible. also i find it quite cumbersome and a bit irrational to use a beast of an avr like the sr7009 just to fire up some music that doesnt require anything else but a passthrough and sub eq/crossover/mgmt.

i do listen to some DSD and super audio cds but dont even have my surrounds hooked up yet as i ran into a speaker wire shortage running a 15 foot line to my front right speaker.

side note - i have no front left sound and the cable seemed fine and it worked last night - so going to try a replacement to ensure nothing is wrong other than a bad cable. waiting for some cables2go velocity 12 awg cables to arrive tomorrow that are 15 feet in length each. i have been shocked by the lack of options when it comes to longer cables with heavier gauge. seems counterintuitive to me, right?

i may try moving my rack closer to my television or even putting the a21 on a stand of sorts dead center of left and right speakers behind my tv....need to ensure proper ventilation though.

thoughts on using a jc-2? overkill? i do want to ensure i have a decent DAC as far as file playback options (i have many different formats and the only one i cant currently playback with existing equipment is AIFF) at least that i know of. im sure there are higher bit rate / sample rate files though that my marantz duo cant handle.

My Current 5.2 Setup - for now....
B&W CM10s (FLR), CMC2, CM5 x2 (SLR)
Dual SVS SB2000s

Rack and Display:
Marantz SR7009, Marantz UD7007, T-PC50st60
[/COLOR]
post #3973 of 3982 Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim View Post
not sure if i would use phono...pardon my ignorance but that is for vinyl correct? I don't listen to any vinyl currently.

if you are familiar with the different parasound preamp options out there would you care to elaborate on the major differences?

I have looked at the p5 - and i think that might be the better option for me but I do want to future proof incase I end up using another power amplifier or two for the whole surround sound eventually.

While the p7 is more expensive it doesnt currently (at least from what i can tell) have any additional features that the p5 has that i would be using for stereo playback. i could certainly be, and am often times, wrong though

I saw a couple deals on safe and sound today for b stock halo preamps...jc-2 b, p7 were the ones available today for decent discounts. i am mainly concerned with getting great 2 channel sound whether it be from the ud7007 on disc or digital from my NAS etc. passed through to the halo a21 as clean as possible. also i find it quite cumbersome and a bit irrational to use a beast of an avr like the sr7009 just to fire up some music that doesnt require anything else but a passthrough and sub eq/crossover/mgmt.

i do listen to some DSD and super audio cds but dont even have my surrounds hooked up yet as i ran into a speaker wire shortage running a 15 foot line to my front right speaker.

side note - i have no front left sound and the cable seemed fine and it worked last night - so going to try a replacement to ensure nothing is wrong other than a bad cable. waiting for some cables2go velocity 12 awg cables to arrive tomorrow that are 15 feet in length each. i have been shocked by the lack of options when it comes to longer cables with heavier gauge. seems counterintuitive to me, right?

i may try moving my rack closer to my television or even putting the a21 on a stand of sorts dead center of left and right speakers behind my tv....need to ensure proper ventilation though.

thoughts on using a jc-2? overkill? i do want to ensure i have a decent DAC as far as file playback options (i have many different formats and the only one i cant currently playback with existing equipment is AIFF) at least that i know of. im sure there are higher bit rate / sample rate files though that my marantz duo cant handle.
Did you consider Emotiva UPC-200? It is minimalistic design, can also switch HDMI. Accordinng to reviews analogue section is pretty good. Good alternative to any Marantz preamp. They also have stereo preamp for very reasonable price. Designing preamps is not as challenging as power amps. It is a class A essentially.
post #3974 of 3982 Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Did you consider Emotiva UPC-200? It is minimalistic design, can also switch HDMI. Accordinng to reviews analogue section is pretty good. Good alternative to any Marantz preamp. They also have stereo preamp for very reasonable price. Designing preamps is not as challenging as power amps. It is a class A essentially.
i have actually....before i bought the parasound i almost went for a 2 channel emotiva. the reference preamp interest me bc it has dirac which would be a nice change up from audyssey...

once i decided on halo for the amp i figured it may be best to stay in brand but definitely open to the idea of emotiva. also looking at a ayre acoustics too

Dual SVS SB2000s

Rack and Display:
[/COLOR]
post #3975 of 3982 Old Today, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Now I am a believer! (note that I am by nature skeptic since I am a former scientist and now engineer). I finally was able to listen the real music via A23, I mean familiar records I heard for decades. I listened just few pieces since it was late (I come home about 8.30pm, Silicon Valley thing) but what I heard blows my mind - never heard it so clear and so precise and accurate. I started with Toccata from Brain Salad Surgery. It is a 24x96 5.1 surround, 2014 remix flac (from Deluxe collection DVD-A). It was the first time when my jaw dropped since I bought A23. I heard Toccata probably hundred times over last 40 years. I also heard it on Marantz not so long ago with everything else (source, speakers) being the same and at such a volume (have to listen loud otherwise does not make sense) it never sounded so clean and precise, sonically correct and real life like (if you can say that about electronic music, well if you ever heard high quality sound equipment at the concert you know what I am talking about). A23 never got strained and was not as mushy (at that volume) as Marantz. It followed by Still...you turn me on from the same flac - I rediscovered this ballad to say the least. I did not want to move to Karn Evil since it was too late but moved to Grand Funk's Closer To Home, which starts with a heavy Good Man's Brother, knowing that it cannot be as good as BSS since Grand Funk's early albums never were high quality studio recordings. But they were authentic, iconic live quality albums recorded from the first try with no further processing in other words as is. It is a higher resolution 32x192 stereo rip from LP. Not only it was as clear as ELP remix (what I would never expect but boy was I wrong!) but also sounded like surround music. I even went back to surround speaker to check them but of course they were silent. I do not know how Parasound managed to make GFR to sound three dimensional but it did. When I play Grand Funk the whole house is shaking because of Mel Schacher's thunderous bass guitar and my wife gets nuts so I had to end session there and plan to continue tomorrow. I have the impression that I have to relisten all my record again. I am dying to hear Karn Evil in 5.1 tomorrow first. It is a long 20 min piece but it worth all of them.
I remember the first few Grand Funk albums and yes, they were highly distorted.
post #3976 of 3982 Old Today, 12:06 PM

JC2 BP, P5 or P7

i think i am going to pull the trigger on one of these in the next day or so and wanted to solicit some advice from anyone who is familiar with these models and what the major (and/or minor) differences are between them. THe jc2 is older, but for two channel audio sounds like the cleanest option. The P5 and P7 are also attractive and price point looks really good for the p7.

my main goal is to be able to eliminate my sr7009 from the chain if you will or only use it as a DAC if i have to for music playback. I have two subs that I want to incorporate in this two channel playback scenario but not necessarily with the sub eq (i think the gain controls on the preamp would suffice)

I am trying for multichannel sound without having to navigate my clunky sr7009 menu and deal with hmdi BS. i am beginning to loathe this connection for audio as it is more complicated UMHO than it is beneficial. i am talking music only remind you

what i am seeking is something i can pair up with my marantz ud7007 and the A21 for music playback and not have to turn on my TV to adjust the settings, etc. does that make sense?

thanks in advance!

Dual SVS SB2000s

Rack and Display:
[/COLOR]
post #3977 of 3982 Old Today, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
i think i am going to pull the trigger on one of these in the next day or so and wanted to solicit some advice from anyone who is familiar with these models and what the major (and/or minor) differences are between them. The jc2 is older, but for two channel audio sounds like the cleanest option. The p5 and p7 are also attractive and price point looks really good for the p7.

My main goal is to be able to eliminate my sr7009 from the chain if you will or only use it as a dac if i have to for music playback. I have two subs that i want to incorporate in this two channel playback scenario but not necessarily with the sub eq (i think the gain controls on the preamp would suffice)

i am trying for multichannel sound without having to navigate my clunky sr7009 menu and deal with hmdi bs. I am beginning to loathe this connection for audio as it is more complicated umho than it is beneficial. I am talking music only remind you

what i am seeking is something i can pair up with my marantz ud7007 and the a21 for music playback and not have to turn on my tv to adjust the settings, etc. Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance!
jc2
post #3978 of 3982 Old Today, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crippledchicken View Post
I remember the first few Grand Funk albums and yes, they were highly distorted.
Their sound had psycho-underground feeling. I first did not like Grand Funk's first album (On Time) thought it was too primitive and flat after glorious British bands like Cream and etc. But got hooked up within few days. They had primeval appeal like e.g. religion which cannot be analyzed and explained. British band were turning rock into art and what Grand Funk did it come with new new fresh approach of underground garage band, like bunch of anti-mainstream revolutionaries who were ready to take on the world. The Times square billboard with three defiant faces http://rock-musicland.com/gfr/fotos/...mes-square.jpg challenging old order just further cemented this image in my mind. They become a cult group (still today with devoted base of fans). Later they become commercial so image was destroyed (after Terry Knight was kicked out). But the sound reflects it and I like those first albums including Phoenix and that natural live underground sound. First Black Sabbath albums had the similar qualities and SQ was not good either (have almost all of BS, most on SACD). Needless to say mainstream critics (like RS) hated both bands.
post #3979 of 3982 Old Today, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
i think i am going to pull the trigger on one of these in the next day or so and wanted to solicit some advice from anyone who is familiar with these models and what the major (and/or minor) differences are between them. THe jc2 is older, but for two channel audio sounds like the cleanest option. The P5 and P7 are also attractive and price point looks really good for the p7.

my main goal is to be able to eliminate my sr7009 from the chain if you will or only use it as a DAC if i have to for music playback. I have two subs that I want to incorporate in this two channel playback scenario but not necessarily with the sub eq (i think the gain controls on the preamp would suffice)

I am trying for multichannel sound without having to navigate my clunky sr7009 menu and deal with hmdi BS. i am beginning to loathe this connection for audio as it is more complicated UMHO than it is beneficial. i am talking music only remind you

what i am seeking is something i can pair up with my marantz ud7007 and the A21 for music playback and not have to turn on my TV to adjust the settings, etc. does that make sense?

thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
jc2
Agree on JC2 but if used with home theater be sure to get the JC2 BP.
post #3980 of 3982 Old Today, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First stereo setup with Parasound!

Hello,
Came across this thread a little late.
Setup my system last year with the following specs.
I am loving it!

Parasound P5 Preamplifier
Parasound A23 Amplifier
Monitor Audio Silver 8 floor standing speakers
Marantz CD5004 CD Player
AudioQuest FLX14/4 CL3 Speaker Cable
Straight Wire Digital D Coaxial Digital Cable -> CD Player to preamp
AudioQuest Cinnamon Optical Cable -> AppleTV to preamp
AudioQuest Red River 1m XLR Cable -> preamp to amp

Question to the experts.
90% of the time I am streaming lossless from iTunes to the AppleTV connected to this setup. Rest of the time using the CD player.
Would it sound better if I hooked up a laptop to the P5 using USB instead, bypassing the AppleTV?

I also hooked up a old Klipsch Energy sub that I had lying around and it seems to sound better. I don't want to believe it does, but it seems to. Am I imagining things?
post #3981 of 3982 Old Today, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Tim, I just bought the JC2 BP and the A21, and they are a fantastic combo. Make sure to connect them with balanced cables.
post #3982 of 3982 Unread Today, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Tim, I just bought the JC2 BP and the A21, and they are a fantastic combo. Make sure to connect them with balanced cables.
Bill - I found a JC2 BP b-stock for 3295 and I am in the process of ordering but still time to cancel...I would definitely be using balanced connections - i assume XLR cables of a fairly short length would be right.

What do you like about the jc2 bp? did you compare before buying to any other parasound pre amps from the halo line? p7 seemed like too much overlap with my avr and p5 seemed like the right choice, but given it has more controls etc and the reviews i read about teh jc-2 being one of the cleanest preamps out there i thought i would keep the avr for surround duties and use the bypass when needed while using the jc-2 for stereo music playback and that has more appeal or value given my current setup.

i cranked up the A21 today after rewiring and moving my front left and rights (cm10s) close together (they were about 9 feet apart and now are about 6). There was a moment while in pure direct mode on my avr playing a super audio cd of dire straights brothers in arms with my speakers almost flat with barely any toe in at all when my jaw dropped, the hair stood up on the back of my neck and I said "wow". mind you i was alone in my basement and I didnt know I actually said wow out loud until after i had....and I am not just blowing smoke here, perhaps there was some speaker position movement etc that could have improved the sound over my sr7009 playing the cm10s alone but this was like nothing I have ever heard before. Money for Nothing is the song I use when trying to grade my sound as i find that no system i have heard yet (and i think the song is mixed this way anyhow) can really make that electric guitar lick the way I personally think it should be played...loud as F***. or more appropriately i think because the guitar playback is probably around an awkward frequency that isnt bass or maybe even mid bass so it is really hard to get the punch in the face sound that song needs. again my opinion only.

cant wait to incorporate the subs too and see how that changes things - probably crossover around 60 but i wish i had more options like 50 or 70 that the marantz doesn't allow for.

dependingo n how that sounds and wife approval factor pending my next experiment is going to try using line levels to get stereo subs going from my svs sb 2000s.

anyway - let me know your thoughts on the preamp question or anyone else for that matter and I appreciate the help and feedback as always!

Dual SVS SB2000s

Rack and Display:
[/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version