96Likes
post #3991 of 4005 Old 01-30-2015, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim View Post
Thanks for the feedback Bill. It is quite helpful as info gathered from dealers and reviews online are hard to trust depending on the source of course.

I just got off the phone with the reseller that carries b stock items from parasound and the jc2 bp i ordered (in silver to match my a21) was actually not a BP version and they said they will have a black jc2 bp in later this week but no silver with bp option yet. they are putting a call into parasound to double check before canceling my order.

now i am back to trying to decide if a the bp option is something i really need given i am going to be using my sr7009 for surround sound duties or if there is a logical way of hooking things up where i can use a jc 2 without bp for two channel with a21 and still utilize the a21 in my surround sound setup. Sounds like it would require physical switching each time...correct me if i am wrong anyone

I think, If I understand correctly, that the setup you are describing with your sr7009 for surround duties and still using the JC2 and A21 for 2 channel is exactly what the BP function if designed for. Give us a call and we can walk you through the JC2 BP and its Home Theater Bypass function.

Chris
Parasound Products Inc.
2250 Mckinnon Ave.
San Francisco CA 94124
415-397-7100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4005 Old 01-30-2015, 12:38 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFWarrior View Post
I think, If I understand correctly, that the setup you are describing with your sr7009 for surround duties and still using the JC2 and A21 for 2 channel is exactly what the BP function if designed for. Give us a call and we can walk you through the JC2 BP and its Home Theater Bypass function.
Yes, that's exactly what the bypass feature is for. Getting the version without the bypass feature would require figuring out the correct volume level to set the JC2 to each time you want to send the home theater system through it and then remembering to switch the volume level back again when using other inputs. And keep in mind that the volume level for passing the home theater system through is most likely going to be high, so it requires some care when switching sources so you don't blow speakers (or eardrums). Finally, since the JC2 doesn't have a volume level display, it would be difficult to get it set to the exact same level each time which would make speaker level calibrations for the home theater system a bit of a problem.

So my advice is that if one has a need for the bypass feature, don't purchase the version of the JC2 that doesn't have it. The long term hassle isn't worth saving a few bucks.
post #3993 of 4005 Old 01-30-2015, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
The good thing at the time is I had Audioquest Columbia rca's and xlr's on hand as to compare both connection methods as well and in the end the 105 to the 8801 xlr assigned to the cd input using Pure direct gave very very close playback to the Oppo direct to the A21, of course I would prefer the Oppo directs sound but what little edge it had was out weighed by system simplicity. I'm hoping the new 8802 has the same or better analog inputs when I get the upgrade bug again.
I do not know what advantage XLR may have over RCA except of noise cancelling in long cables. With 3ft cable I do not see a point. I saw HCA schematics and nothing there tells me that they can take advantage of XLR balanced input. I suspect they just turn it into unballanced input. Input diff amp's +in is used for signal and -in for feedback (negative therefore). +/- path from XLR will still go to +/- complementary amps but it is has nothing to do with noise/distortion cancelling. I remember Bryston hyped fully balanced path but not Parasound.

It still makes sense to have XLR in all components in case you need it. And XLR is no worse than RCA.

Regarding OPPO direct the one problem is that you have to digitally vary volume which means cutting out bits (reducing dynamic range). According to OPPO UK document it does not affect SQ but SQ is more art than science. Another problem is OPPO does not have standby pass-through mode. It means e.g. if you attach satelite TV box HDMI to OPPO and turn off OPPO - signal will not come out to TV. My SR6005 (and Emotiva UPC-200) have this feature and it is very convenient. And third issue is that OPPO does not handle analogue stereo input, more than 2 HDMI inputs and so on - but this does not concern me. But other two issues do.
post #3994 of 4005 Old 01-30-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetter View Post
I do not know what advantage XLR may have over RCA except of noise cancelling in long cables. With 3ft cable I do not see a point. I saw HCA schematics and nothing there tells me that they can take advantage of XLR balanced input. I suspect they just turn it into unballanced input. Input diff amp's +in is used for signal and -in for feedback (negative therefore). +/- path from XLR will still go to +/- complementary amps but it is has nothing to do with noise/distortion cancelling. I remember Bryston hyped fully balanced path but not Parasound.

It still makes sense to have XLR in all components in case you need it. And XLR is no worse than RCA.

Regarding OPPO direct the one problem is that you have to digitally vary volume which means cutting out bits (reducing dynamic range). According to OPPO UK document it does not affect SQ but SQ is more art than science. Another problem is OPPO does not have standby pass-through mode. It means e.g. if you attach satelite TV box HDMI to OPPO and turn off OPPO - signal will not come out to TV. My SR6005 (and Emotiva UPC-200) have this feature and it is very convenient. And third issue is that OPPO does not handle analogue stereo input, more than 2 HDMI inputs and so on - but this does not concern me. But other two issues do.
My main reason for the Oppo 105 is 2/ch, I purchased both the 105 and 8801 at the same time coming from an Anthem avm 20v2 and Oppo 95 combo that I found to my liking and didn't want to sacrifice what I had. My main concern were the analog inputs on the 8801 as I love the sound of the Sabre dac's. As far as the rca's vs xlr's I always noted on most of the gear I've tried it was a better separation of instruments , taller center image and depth without sounding as though the music lost its flow. The rca's always sounded more analog if you will are had a warmer less forward sound but at the cost of a little snap ,this was of course after as close matching of the levels (and lowering the xlr's by one extra db for good measure). You'll have to forgive the use of the audiophile lingo as i have no other way to express why I prefer the balanced route. This could indeed and I suspect be due only to better noise rejection, long runs or not! most people don't realize the back of an equipment rack is an RF and nightmare
post #3995 of 4005 Old 01-30-2015, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Yes, that's exactly what the bypass feature is for. Getting the version without the bypass feature would require figuring out the correct volume level to set the JC2 to each time you want to send the home theater system through it and then remembering to switch the volume level back again when using other inputs. And keep in mind that the volume level for passing the home theater system through is most likely going to be high, so it requires some care when switching sources so you don't blow speakers (or eardrums). Finally, since the JC2 doesn't have a volume level display, it would be difficult to get it set to the exact same level each time which would make speaker level calibrations for the home theater system a bit of a problem.

So my advice is that if one has a need for the bypass feature, don't purchase the version of the JC2 that doesn't have it. The long term hassle isn't worth saving a few bucks.
thanks this was just confirmed to me over the phone as well. Looks like I may be waiting a bit on the JC2 BP as the price point is a little high for me to buy brand new. I am considering the p5 as it has some more options I can utilize for playback of stereo music (with or without subs) from different sources so I do not have to incorporate the sr7009 as part of that process (other than maybe passing through a signal?)

The UD7007 plays back NAS files well as does the sr7009 but I am now thinking a DAC or Network Audio player might be a better option at this stage and with some of these products I may not need a preamp at all and could go straight to my power amp (no subs in this setup)

I was looking at the http://www.psaudio.com/products/perfectwave-dac/ which is on sale right now and might be quite a fun addition to my setup. I find the Sr7009 to be a bit annoying as far as a GUI or interface for adjusting simple controls for just music playback. hope that makes sense.

TBH i doubt i would notice a huge difference in sound quality between the jc2 bp and the p5 so given the price point i may give the p5 a try.

recently someone pointed out the ayre k5xe as an in between price points of the two parasound models i am looking at.

My Current 5.2 Setup - for now....
B&W CM10s (FLR), CMC2, CM5 x2 (SLR)
Dual SVS SB2000s

Rack and Display:
Marantz SR7009, Marantz UD7007, T-PC50st60
[/COLOR]
post #3996 of 4005 Old 01-30-2015, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just my $.02...
I have the A21 and a P5 with a Zdac. The trio sounds awesome to me! I came from a 2100 preamp. The P5 sounds nearly identical but good nonetheless.

I too want the JC2 BP but I have dual subs in my setup so without the sub controls that the P5 has, I'm screwed. There's just no easy way to integrate dual subs with a combo 2ch and HT rig all in one. So yes, I do use the HT bypass function of the P5.

My dream (parasound are you listening) is a JC2 BP with sub controls
post #3997 of 4005 Old 01-30-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
Just my $.02...
I have the A21 and a P5 with a Zdac. The trio sounds awesome to me! I came from a 2100 preamp. The P5 sounds nearly identical but good nonetheless.

I too want the JC2 BP but I have dual subs in my setup so without the sub controls that the P5 has, I'm screwed. There's just no easy way to integrate dual subs with a combo 2ch and HT rig all in one. So yes, I do use the HT bypass function of the P5.

that is helpful actually - I am thinking the p5 may be the best choice for me currently. what receiver do you use for surround? also curious why you use the zdac? i am not too familiar wit hthat product

Dual SVS SB2000s

Rack and Display:
[/COLOR]
post #3998 of 4005 Old 01-30-2015, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Just my $.02...

Do elaborate. What exactly are you looking for? Sub controls as in crossovers? Stereo subs or dual mono? Active subs or passive?
And yes we are always listening. I am always taking suggestions to the product development team. Keep them coming. Details always help.

Chris
Parasound Products Inc.
2250 Mckinnon Ave.
San Francisco CA 94124
415-397-7100

Last edited by WAFWarrior; 01-30-2015 at 04:39 PM.
post #3999 of 4005 Unread 01-30-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim View Post
that is helpful actually - I am thinking the p5 may be the best choice for me currently. what receiver do you use for surround? also curious why you use the zdac? i am not too familiar wit hthat product
The p5 is great even though I don't use/need it's built in DAC which is what the Zdac is for. For more info on the Zdac check it out on the parasound site. From my understanding the zdac is a better DAC than the one built into the P5.

I use a yamaha cx-5000 for my HT preamp with a outlaw 7 ch amp powering my center and surrounds. Speakers are Ascend acoustic towers with RAAL tweeters. I've got the horizon RAAL center and Sierra-2 as surrounds also with RAAL
post #4000 of 4005 Unread 01-30-2015, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Just my $.02...

I had a chance to get an A21 and P5 and wish I would have. There were a couple firearms I've been really wanting also, so I compromised and wound up getting an A23 and keeping the preamp I already had. I did get a good deal on the A23 on Audiogon for $650.00 and being less than a month old. But, if my eyesight and health keeps going down hill I'll probably wind up getting rid of some firearms and put that money towards upgrading a little.
post #4001 of 4005 Unread 01-30-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFWarrior View Post
Do elaborate. What exactly are you looking for? Sub controls as in crossovers? Stereo subs or dual mono? Active subs or powered?
And yes we are always listening. I am always taking suggestions to the product development team. Keep them coming. Details always help.
To be more specific, yes sub controls similar/identical to the p5. The sub crossovers are a must for me being I EQ my dual 15" Rythmiks so I get a flat in room response. I run them dual mono and EQd for both HT and 2ch.

I suppose I also need crossover settings for the main speakers on the preamp as well being I find 80hz crosses over best in my room.

So in a nutshell, a JC2BP with sub and speaker crossover features but NO DAC

Helpful?
I'm glad you are listening, tell Richard to get started! Ha!
post #4002 of 4005 Unread 01-30-2015, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
So in a nutshell, a JC2BP with sub and speaker crossover features but NO DAC
How about Parasound make an outboard bass management device that can individually manage up to 4 subwoofers? Delay, crossover, level and a few bands of PEQ from 5-40Hz.
post #4003 of 4005 Unread Yesterday, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
WAFWarrior (or anyone else), there is a contradiction in the A21 and JC2 manuals regarding set-up. The A21 manual prefers the gain controls all the way up, to THX reference, to take them out of the path. But the JC2 manual states that the volume control sweet spot is between 11 and 1 on a clock. With the amp's gain controls all the way up, I listen with the JC2 volume control around 7-8, and there is no way to crank it up to 11 and still stay in the room! I am using a pair of 4-ohm Sonus Faber Olympica III speakers. So which is more important, keeping the gain controls on the amp at THX, or just using the volume control on the preamp as needed, even though it is well less than 11? I am doing the latter, and it does sound great. Thanks.
post #4004 of 4005 Unread Yesterday, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Why not try turning the gain down on your amp, and turn it up on the JC2 to where they recommend?

Then you can judge for yourself.

Either way, don't ruin your hearing. It's not worth it.

Dave

post #4005 of 4005 Unread Today, 01:08 AM

Ayre Acoustic K-5xe + A21 + UD7007...

just in case anyone is interested....

I went to the hi fi dealer in my area to check out some preamps he had on display today with the intention of coming home with (if not empty handed) a P5 or P7 as he had some decent stock of Parasound preamps. He offered to play the p5 for me as it was on display but he kept nudging me towards an Ayre Acoustics K-5xe that he also had hooked up to some speakers I did not recognize.

Long story short after some discussion he was able to convince me (suppose it wasn't too hard) to take home the display model of the Ayre and give it a listen along with some Transparent XLR Interconnects for what I thought to be a reasonable discount. Typically I am used to a higher percentage coming off the retail price of a new unit then he was offering but given I was a bit out of my element and this dealer was recommended to me very highly by a couple different unbiased sources I took him for his word and brought home the Ayre + insanely expensive cables.

We agreed it would be considered a "home trial" as I wasn't too eager to hear a preamp being demoed to me even though he had it paired with the same amp I was going to pair it with at home (A21), because the speakers he had in the store were not only higher end then my Cm10s but for the most part just of a different breed/manufacturing process. this (among other factors) made me hesitant to be swayed in any direction by a in store demo and convinced I needed to hear whatever I was leaning towards in my own room to really know if it was what i was seeking.

I used the balanced out connections from my marantz UD7007 connected it to a balanced input on the Ayre and then balanced again into my A21. Only change I had to make on my existing components was swapping out cables, taking my SR7009 receiver out of the mix by unplugging the RCAs and flipping the switch on the A21 to balanced.

for the 2 channel rig I was still using the $14.95 cables I recently purchased to link up the CM10s and the same Dire Straits CD I had been playing earlier with the SR7009 (greatest hits including tracks like brothers in arms, on every street, etc.)

I never expected such a dramatic improvement in what I heard coming from this setup. Without further listening and trying some different connections I cannot say for sure if this was due to the balanced cables, the blu ray/preamp/power amp balanced connection (even though I do not think this is a pure balanced differential setup from source to speaker but i could be wrong) or the Ayre preamp/A21 combo but I was blown away...I have never heard anything like this before and that includes some 650K speakers on a boulder amp in a dedicated room from another shop the other day that was his main floor draw.

I will have to report back (if anyone cares to hear) once I get another day or two of listening in and try out the processor pass through of the Ayre.

but seriously, wow

Dual SVS SB2000s

Rack and Display:
[/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp