Parasound Owners Thread - Page 139 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 144Likes

Old 03-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
After following Parasound for a few years on various forums, I don't think that reproducing noise is an issue of theirs. I've seen noise issues spread across various brands, and Halo gear does have a ground lift switch. Usually noise ends up being through old wiring in the house, improperly grounded coax cables and such. I've never had any noise with the Parasound, though I did with Emotiva.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
After following Parasound for a few years on various forums, I don't think that reproducing noise is an issue of theirs. I've seen noise issues spread across various brands, and Halo gear does have a ground lift switch. Usually noise ends up being through old wiring in the house, improperly grounded coax cables and such. I've never had any noise with the Parasound, though I did with Emotiva.
If you have a Parasound amp, try the star quad speaker cable (8 feet+, the length matters as the cable is doing the filtering) and you'll realized how much common mode noise get's amplified. If you never tried it you won't be aware of the difference. It's a very cheap tweak for massive improvement to the sound.

Last edited by coli; 03-03-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim View Post
any recommendations as to whether better rca cables might help or perhaps better power mgmt by tring to get all my audio gear plugged into one socket?
Sounds like a possible ground loop. Yes, try to have everything plugged into one electrical outlet. I use a Bryston BIT power conditioner (unfortunately expensive), and have no hum from my speakers. I doubt different RCA cables would help, but maybe a local store could let you borrow some to give it a try.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post
If you have a Parasound amp, try the star quad speaker cable (8 feet+, the length matters as the cable is doing the filtering) and you'll realized how much common mode noise get's amplified. If you never tried it you won't be aware of the difference. It's a very cheap tweak for massive improvement to the sound.
I appreciate that, but I have zero noise. None whatsoever. I've also got 3 systems, I had four at one point but have been whittling it down, and I'm familiar with some of the noise issues that can occur. One time in my theater the front left channel was humming. Drove me crazy until I realized my voltage regulator got moved too close while working on the system, and was introducing the noise.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshanok View Post
I have been experimenting/upgrading with different speakers and amps, to see which combo works best for my taste. I went from Paradigm Millenia 200, to Paradigm S6s, to PSB Synchrony Twos, to now the Revel F208 ($5K pair). In amps, I've had Emotiva (twice), Marantz Reference integrated PM11s1, Parasound A21s, and now the Pass Labs XA30.5. This is all for my bedroom setup. I find myself liking the sound of Class A amps with MOSFET/JFETs input/output stages, hence the Parasound due to the great value. As much as I try to convinced myself to keep the A21, I have to trust my ears. After owning almost the entire Parasound Halo series of amps and hooking to different speakers including Paradigm S8v3, the Halos are neutral sounding, but somewhat a bit dry, lacking the musical warmth of better sounding amps whichever speakers I hook them up to. When I had the JC1s hooked up to my Paradigm S8v3 in my home theater/2-ch setup, I liked them a lot, but something about the Classe CA5200 Amp I have that just kept me drawn into the music. So I sold my JC1s. Back to my bedroom setup. I'm really liking the XA30.5 amp with the Revel F208s. I'm good for now. :-)
What are the dimensions of your bedroom and what is the typical SPL? If it's a small room and the SPL is high, I would be looking at all of the surfaces to see if they're bare, hard & reflective or if it has a good balance of reflective, absorptive and diffuse. If the surfaces are hard and reflective, I can't think of a scenario where it could sound great at high SPL. At that point, only an exceptionally warm-sounding amp will be somewhat listenable.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
I have been experimenting/upgrading with different speakers and amps, to see which combo works best for my taste. I went from Paradigm Millenia 200, to Paradigm S6s, to PSB Synchrony Twos, to now the Revel F208 ($5K pair). In amps, I've had Emotiva (twice), Marantz Reference integrated PM11s1, Parasound A21s, and now the Pass Labs XA30.5. This is all for my bedroom setup. I find myself liking the sound of Class A amps with MOSFET/JFETs input/output stages, hence the Parasound due to the great value. As much as I try to convinced myself to keep the A21, I have to trust my ears. After owning almost the entire Parasound Halo series of amps and hooking to different speakers including Paradigm S8v3, the Halos are neutral sounding, but somewhat a bit dry, lacking the musical warmth of better sounding amps whichever speakers I hook them up to. When I had the JC1s hooked up to my Paradigm S8v3 in my home theater/2-ch setup, I liked them a lot, but something about the Classe CA5200 Amp I have that just kept me drawn into the music. So I sold my JC1s. Back to my bedroom setup. I'm really liking the XA30.5 amp with the Revel F208s. I'm good for now. :-)
I've find it hard to be satisfied with many speakers after owning Paradigm Sigs. How do you find the Revel F208 compared to the S6?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hi guys.

I'm looking to buy a recent, low hours A21 preferably in black.

If anyone has one for sale, let's work something out.

B&W CM9 S2, B&W CMC2 S2, DefTech XTR-20BP, SVS SB-2000, Parasound Halo A21, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Samsung UN55F8000, Apple Mac Mini, Iomega NAS
Old 03-04-2015, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Getting rid of my last Parasound amp A21. Previously owned a pair of JC1s and A51. After a while, you just need to move on to something better, like a Pass Labs XA30.5 with Revel F208s.
Of the people I know of who matched the JC1 with Revel were quite happy.
If the JC1 can satisfy the Salon2, I am quite certain its all good for the F208.
I would be very hard pressed to think the Pass is better than JC1.
But you dumped the JC1 for the A21?! That would be going backwards.

Sounds like you have a case of incurable upgraditis.
And just want to spend money.
Some people are just never satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
With such a glowing recommendation, why would anyone want to buy your A21 when all they're going to end up doing is wanting something better? If I were you, I would have been more inclined to keep the Parasound amps and upgrade to even better speakers (and in fact, that's what I'm doing).

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Samsung BD player, Denon DVD-A player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly DAC.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post
I've find it hard to be satisfied with many speakers after owning Paradigm Sigs. How do you find the Revel F208 compared to the S6?
It's been over a year since I've had the S6v3, but from my recollection,the S6v3 were pretty good, love the Berrylium tweeters, but lean on the bass. The thing is that the S6v3 didn't blow me away for the money. And I've had Paradigm speakers since the 1998. Granted, I didn't have the XA30.5 to use it with. Plus I wanted to experiment with other brands. I would say using the F208s with the X30.5 is a great match. The A21 just didn't have the sweetness, musicality and space of the XA30.5. I wanted to keep it as a spare because of its great value, but needed funds to upgrade to other stuff.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post
There is most certainly a kinship between Canadian and Harman brands of speakers. As in their similarities of audio signature.
Due to the influence of Floyd Toole and Sean Olive, first at NRCC and then Harman.
Anytime I've auditioned Canadian brands, I always notice the similarity to Harman brands.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Samsung BD player, Denon DVD-A player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly DAC.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
[QUOTE=4DHD;32308881]Of the people I know of who matched the JC1 with Revel were quite happy.
If the JC1 can satisfy the Salon2, I am quite certain its all good for the F208.

Sounds like you have a case of incurable upgraditis.
And just want to spend money.
Some people are just never satisfied.

When I had the JC1s, they were for my home theater/2-ch setup (i.e. family room). There was nothing wrong with them, in fact, I liked them a lot. I can see why folks who own the JC1s are happy with them. It was not an easy decision, but in the end I decided to keep my Classe amp. The A21 came much later and I purchased it for my bedroom. Like a lot of audiophiles, you want to get the best sound (Highly subjective) for your system/room, so you end up trying different combination of speakers/amp/preamp/cables/room, etc within budgetary constraint. Over time, I've gotten to know the signature sound of Parasound Halo amps. For the money, I would highly recommend it. When I got a chance to buy a demo Pass Labs amp, I wanted to compare to the A21. Yes, it retails twice the cost of the A21, but if I can justify it to my taste and pocketbook, I would buy it. To my ears and in my bedroom system setup, the Pass Labs amp is in a different league. For now, I am completely satisfied. I think the Pass Labs is a lifelong keeper.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:

I have had ground loop from with the Sunfire 7400, Outlaw 7400, ATI3005 (Fully Balanced), and Parasound A51, and Parasound A31 all connected via XLR.

The A21 is incredibly quiet. I have to cleanup my wiring and see if I can eliminate it.
One thing is for certain, it is not the amps fault.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 03-04-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post
Of the people I know of who matched the JC1 with Revel were quite happy.
Perhaps.

I was considering JC-12 but since I had the A21 I did some single channel listening and brought in a friend for a SBT and there was an noticeable improvement with the Salon(1)'s in upper frequency clarity and bass control. Perhaps it is the speaker design or their age (14 years), I don't know.

I was not expecting an improvement. I found a similar although less pronounced improvement in the Voice(1) center channel.

For me that was enough to save a little coin and just get another A21 for a more affordable mono-block (vertical bi-amped). The JC-1 in high-bias would also present a heat problem.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 03-04-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's been over a year since I've had the S6v3, but from my recollection,the S6v3 were pretty good, love the Berrylium tweeters, but lean on the bass. The thing is that the S6v3 didn't blow me away for the money. And I've had Paradigm speakers since the 1998. Granted, I didn't have the XA30.5 to use it with. Plus I wanted to experiment with other brands. I would say using the F208s with the X30.5 is a great match. The A21 just didn't have the sweetness, musicality and space of the XA30.5. I wanted to keep it as a spare because of its great value, but needed funds to upgrade to other stuff.

Much more can be gained with the source components than by exchanging excellent amps with, perhaps excellent+ amps.
With the HA-1 DAC/Preamp for 2-channel, J River Kernel Streaming 24-bit in a 32-bit package is my preferred setting and this improves the bass as well. Why?, I have no idea. This improvement could not have been achieved with amplification.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Old 03-04-2015, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Much more can be gained with the source components than by exchanging excellent amps with, perhaps excellent+ amps.
With the HA-1 DAC/Preamp for 2-channel, J River Kernel Streaming 24-bit in a 32-bit package is my preferred setting and this improves the bass as well. Why?, I have no idea. This improvement could not have been achieved with amplification.

- Rich
Everybody follows their own path to audio bliss I guess, but I'm with you. Once you have the bench mark that the Parasound Halo gear is, you have to spend a lot to improve on the amp sonics. Gains can be made with sources and cables in my experience. I wasn't getting all of what the Paradigm S6 had until I paid attention to the details. I'd never believed that cables can make a difference but I'd never had gear capable of such detail before. It really impressed me what solid core copper sounded like compared to fine stranded, YMMV.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps.

I was considering JC-12 but since I had the A21 I did some single channel listening and brought in a friend for a SBT and there was an noticeable improvement with the Salon(1)'s in upper frequency clarity and bass control. Perhaps it is the speaker design or their age (14 years), I don't know.

I was not expecting an improvement. I found a similar although less pronounced improvement in the Voice(1) center channel.

For me that was enough to save a little coin and just get another A21 for a more affordable mono-block (vertical bi-amped). The JC-1 in high-bias would also present a heat problem.

- Rich
One advantage an A21 has over the JC1 would be if one had a really difficult 8Ω speaker, and mono A21 would increase the watts from 400~750 compared to the JC1.

One thing about where I live (8200 ft) heat is never a problem with my gear.
The always cool floor tile compensates for any heat generated. lol

Old 03-04-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
One advantage an A21 has over the JC1 would be if one had a really difficult 8Ω speaker, and mono A21 would increase the watts from 400~750 compared to the JC1.

One thing about where I live (8200 ft) heat is never a problem with my gear.
The always cool floor tile compensates for any heat generated. lol

I am not bridging but since the Salon's are crossed to the 3 subwoofers at 125Hz there should be power distribution.
However, I think the improvement is really about some interaction between the LPF woofer crossover and the 3 other crossovers for the high-frequencies.

It was not so much my room as the components above the amps that might not like the heat.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Old 03-04-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am not bridging but since the Salon's are crossed to the 3 subwoofers at 125Hz there should be power distribution.
However, I think the improvement is really about some interaction between the LPF woofer crossover and the 3 other crossovers for the high-frequencies.

It was not so much my room as the components above the amps that might not like the heat.

- Rich
I realize you are not bridging those 6Ω Salons, just speaking in general.
As for the heat build up, most certainly from one amp to another, if placed too close together. But high room temp can certainly add to the problem. Especially in locations across the south in mid summer.

If those three 8" woofers are 8Ω and in parallel, then the amp is only seeing 2.67Ω, across the LF circuit.
So in that case, I can see how bi-amp helps the HF,MF and the LF.
With my speakers only having one 8" driver, I very much doubt bi-amping would be any benefit. Although, I certainly could easily do so as each driver has its own XO card. So easy to split up the circuit.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As for the heat build up, most certainly from one amp to another, if placed too close together. But high room temp can certainly add to the problem. Especially in locations across the south in mid summer.
There are heat sensitive components above each amp.
I have attached the system photo with the A31 in center and A21's (bi-amped) on the right and left.
The A31 will be replaced shortly with an A51. Still for sale...

Quote:
If those three 8" woofers are 8Ω and in parallel, then the amp is only seeing 2.67Ω, across the LF circuit.
With my speakers only having one 8" driver, I very much doubt bi-amping would be any benefit. Although, I certainly could easily do so as each driver has its own XO card. So easy to split up the circuit.
I don't know how the 3 woofers are wired, but I did not expect a benefit so I won't be surprised of other configurations do or do not benefit by bi-amping. If you have a stereo amp, it is easy enough to try it with one speaker in an SBT, if your into that sort of thing.

- Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SystemA31A21A21Small.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	583425  

Oppo Beta Group

Last edited by RichB; 03-04-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Parasound Halo A21 vs A31?

I'm considering adding an amp to upgrade my 5.1 setup to a 7.1 setup. Have narrowed it down to the parasound A21 or A31. I initially was just going to go 2-ch and get the A21 to power my fronts which are paradigm studio 100s v4. The emotiva XPA-5 will then be used to power the center and surrounds. However, one of my issues now is that I want more clarity and detail from dialogue coming from my center. I've heard people say that moving from emotiva XPA to parasound should be a marked improvement in sound. So I would want that improvement to apply to my center as well and thus the 3-ch A31 came on my radar. However, there are 3 reservations I have with the A31:
  1. 1.) Price: A31 retails for about $800 more than the A21. My budget is ~$2000 so the A31 is pushing it
  1. 2.) Sound Quality: I've heard that the A21 actually will sound better than the A31 and have a bit more power. Is that true? If that is the case, then is the difference noticeable to most that have heard them both?
  1. 3.) Availability: The A21 seems much more available than the A31 both in B&M stores and used classified outlets

Any thoughts on the A21 vs A31? How would you describe the difference in sound quality betwen them?
Old 03-04-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:

With all of the made to order manufacturing that's happening now, you'd think that a manufacturer of finished speaker systems would have woofers made to their spec, e.g., three woofers in parallel coming to some nominal impedance value. I can't think of any reason they would need to take off-the-shelf drivers, being under the Harmon umbrella. It would be of greater benefit to them if they make speakers that work with ALL amplifiers, rather than a select group.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
With all of the made to order manufacturing that's happening now, you'd think that a manufacturer of finished speaker systems would have woofers made to their spec, e.g., three woofers in parallel coming to some nominal impedance value. I can't think of any reason they would need to take off-the-shelf drivers, being under the Harmon umbrella. It would be of greater benefit to them if they make speakers that work with ALL amplifiers, rather than a select group.
And who ever said that Revel drivers are off the shelf??
Harman made all their own drivers at the Northridge plant. With the exception of some Ti tweeters made in France from a company Harman owned.

Now only the R&D, engineering and testing departments remain.
I think all the manufacturing went south to Mexico, but I would think the drivers are made in the same plant also. Although some of Harman's manufacturing is now done in China...besides the AVR/amps/pre-pros, I do not know if drivers are.

As to if the Salon 8" drivers are wired in parallel I can only guess.
It could be two in parallel with one in series...which would show a 12Ω load across the LF circuit. But being the nominal impedance is 6Ω of the entire system, I rather doubt it.

But a speaker system does not have to be a nominal 6Ω to dip to near 3Ω at a given point of the frequency range. I can think of at least one 8Ω speaker that does, the JBL L890.

Last edited by 4DHD; 03-04-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
And who ever said that Revel drivers are off the shelf??
Harman made all their own drivers at the Northridge plant. With the exception of some Ti tweeters made in France from a company Harman owned.

Now only the R&D, engineering and testing departments remain.
I think all the manufacturing went south to Mexico, but I would think the drivers are made in the same plant also.

As to if the Salon 8" drivers are wired in parallel I can only guess.
It could be two in parallel with one in series...which would show a 12Ω load across the LF circuit. But being the nominal impedance is 6Ω of the entire system, I rather doubt it.

But a speaker system does not have to be a nominal 6Ω to dip to near 3Ω at a given point of the frequency range. I can think of at least one 8Ω speaker that does, the JBL L890.

But a speaker system does not have to be a nominal 6Ω to dip to near 3Ω at a given point of the frequency range. I can think of at least one 8Ω speaker that does, the JBL L890.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing about using a 'nominal' impedance, rather than requiring speaker manufacturers to provide an impedance plot- they pick a number and go with it.

When I used 'off the shelf', I meant using 8 Ohm drivers but since nobody here has shown a circuit diagram for the crossover or checked the configuration, it would be a reasonable guess that they're either custom or in a series-parallel configuration.

Here's Stereophile's report on them- they show 3.7 Ohms @90Hz, so it's anybody's guess.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/r...specifications
Old 03-04-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
That's the thing about using a 'nominal' impedance, rather than requiring speaker manufacturers to provide an impedance plot- they pick a number and go with it.

When I used 'off the shelf', I meant using 8 Ohm drivers but since nobody here has shown a circuit diagram for the crossover or checked the configuration, it would be a reasonable guess that they're either custom or in a series-parallel configuration.

Here's Stereophile's report on them- they show 3.7 Ohms @90Hz, so it's anybody's guess.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/r...specifications[/QUOTE]

I've never researched Revel into great depth, but I do have a graph of a JBL L890. So some do exist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	impedance.gif
Views:	29
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	584097  

Old 03-04-2015, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Equitech balanced power. will get the noise down 10-20db.

A21 is not fully balanced, I found that using star quad speaker cables can get rid of a lot of that common mode noise from the Parasound and make things sound MUCH better. Note that star quad cable don't work well for better amps.

The main downside to Parasound stuff is their incredible ability to faithfully reproduce noise...
Which Parasound amps do you have for sale?
Old 03-05-2015, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I eliminted the noise (for now at least) by plugging my JC-2 BP directly into my ac outlet and running the rest of my gear through the high current outlets on my panamax m4300 (trialing this to see if it helps). I have no hooked up all my components but I had my UD7007, A21, JC-2 and television iwth hdmi connected to ud7007 and I could barely and i mean ear next to it, hear any noise from teh A21. so i am happy that it is possible to at minimum have this setup without noise. the main issue I had was not just a little hiss or hum when everything was plugged in but specifically when i turned on the bypass for hte jc-2 and had RCA cables connecting pre outs from my avr to the jc-2 - that is when my left channel went nuts with noise and right channel increased in noise level just not nearly as bad as the left.

So after stripping all my wiring out (subs, speaker cable for surrounds and center, etc.) I am back to the simple setup for music that is working quite well. It is possible that moving my marantz ud87007 from the fitlered side of the panamax to unfiltered high current side made a difference but i doubt it. most likely it was the jc-2 not liking the panamax filtering or even the high current outlet

I am currently on the search for a second pair of speakers (and an integrated or seperates) to setup my second listening room as i have way too much going on in this one.

anyone have suggestions for a speaker that maybe has a slightly smalller presence than my CM10s but matches up well sonically? I want to try something outside of B&W but i dont want to dip below the quality of sound i have gotten with them. I was looking at KEF ls50s or maybe even something from their reference line and then either an ayre acoustics integrated or preamp power amp combination OR a halo integrated

thoughts?

My Current 5.2 Setup - for now....
B&W CM10s (FLR), CMC2, CM5 x2 (SLR)
Dual SVS SB2000s

Rack and Display:
Marantz SR7009, Marantz UD7007, T-PC50st60
[/COLOR]
Old 03-05-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim View Post
I eliminted the noise (for now at least) by plugging my JC-2 BP directly into my ac outlet and running the rest of my gear through the high current outlets on my panamax m4300 (trialing this to see if it helps). I have no hooked up all my components but I had my UD7007, A21, JC-2 and television iwth hdmi connected to ud7007 and I could barely and i mean ear next to it, hear any noise from teh A21. so i am happy that it is possible to at minimum have this setup without noise. the main issue I had was not just a little hiss or hum when everything was plugged in but specifically when i turned on the bypass for hte jc-2 and had RCA cables connecting pre outs from my avr to the jc-2 - that is when my left channel went nuts with noise and right channel increased in noise level just not nearly as bad as the left.

So after stripping all my wiring out (subs, speaker cable for surrounds and center, etc.) I am back to the simple setup for music that is working quite well. It is possible that moving my marantz ud87007 from the fitlered side of the panamax to unfiltered high current side made a difference but i doubt it. most likely it was the jc-2 not liking the panamax filtering or even the high current outlet

I am currently on the search for a second pair of speakers (and an integrated or seperates) to setup my second listening room as i have way too much going on in this one.

anyone have suggestions for a speaker that maybe has a slightly smalller presence than my CM10s but matches up well sonically? I want to try something outside of B&W but i dont want to dip below the quality of sound i have gotten with them. I was looking at KEF ls50s or maybe even something from their reference line and then either an ayre acoustics integrated or preamp power amp combination OR a halo integrated

thoughts?
LS50s with either the Ayre or Parasound Halo integrated would be most excellent!
Old 03-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Ascend Sierra-2's have been favoured over the LS50, and I think they're cheaper to boot. The ribbon tweeter is simply amazing, I compared these speakers to my Paradigm Signature S6 v2 and was amazed at how well they did! I actually preferred the Sierra's mid range performance over the S6, which retailed for $6k.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 183
What? The Kef LS50"s have won more "Speaker and/or product of the year" awards than any product I can remember. Yes, They are that good.

Full disclosure, I'm a Parasound Halo and Kef Reference dealer....

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
Old 03-05-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
In order to remove (cancel) common mode noise, each pair needs to be twisted, not a group of four conductors. If you would look at the information, the insertion loss is pretty high and that kills the amp's damping factor (which is very high, compared with many others). The best way to eliminate the noise is to remove it BEFORE the amp. ALWAYS before the amp. Anything that is done after the amp messes with the sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp